Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

Wandle Cax posted:

Honestly the scan line problem is a total non-issue, the screen looks great and there is no ghosting. You would have to be extremely nitpicky to be bothered by it. Plus the 3000 has a setting which displays brighter and more vibrant colors than the previous screens which look duller and washed out by comparison.

Eh, I'm kind of regretting my purchase right now, but apparently someone has found a way to use Pandoras to unbrick the 2000v2 model, and I'm not sure if this applies to 3000 models as well. If this fix applies to the 3000 models I'll kick myself for not buying a 3000 model instead, since it's better in almost every other way (except the scanlines). I'm also suspecting that my late 2000 model PSP's screen isn't as good as the early-model 2000s, but maybe that's just me, but if my suspicions are true then there is literally no reason not to get the 3000 since it is better in every single way.

Maybe I'm just a horrible purchaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a v2001 psp and the screen has a tiny bit of ghosting some of the time on some colors. The vibrance looks good to me. I dont see a huge difference between it and my iphone 5 (resolution aside). Maybe it is better, but I cant see the 3000 being that huge of a jump in color accuracy?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a v2001 psp and the screen has a tiny bit of ghosting some of the time on some colors. The vibrance looks good to me. I dont see a huge difference between it and my iphone 5 (resolution aside). Maybe it is better, but I cant see the 3000 being that huge of a jump in color accuracy?

It's not really accuracy I guess, it just had a feature to make the "color space" wider i.e. use a larger range of colors, so all the colors appeared brighter and more vivid. It was promoted as an improved feature of the 3000. Some people maybe prefer the old way. I guess you wouldn't notice if you were only using a 2000 but when you turn the feature on and off on the 3000 the difference is quite noticeable.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
PSP's not dead quite yet! Guess what's getting its sequel over here, finally?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm gonna throw out my standard PSP RPG suggestions of Trails in the Sky
Yeah, that's right, Trails in the Sky SC, in Summer 2014 (for reals this time). It's coming to Steam (along with Trails 1) and PSN, brought to you by XSEED, with localization of Trails SC done by Carpe Fulgur (Recettear). CF's site is getting hammered really hard right now due to the announcement though, so it might take a little while to reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97yk-HRk3Pc

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I was under the impression that Trails in the Sky was a three part game?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Apparently the third one is more like an expansion pack, with lots of reused assets doing things and isn't necessary in the event that sales aren't amazing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

RadicalR posted:

I was under the impression that Trails in the Sky was a three part game?

SpaceDrake posted:

It isn't really a "trilogy"; 3rd is what most Americans would really call a standalone expansion pack. Think Dragon Age Awakening - it's sort of its own story that can be played on its own but featuring a lot of the same characters and expanding on details from the previous duology, and also recycling a number of assets.

The "core" game is the duology of FC and SC. 3rd just sort of sits there on its own. It's also something that shouldn't be worked on if SC doesn't sell very well, because 3rd re-opens a lot of plot threads that SC kind of lets lie. So there are no plans to do 3rd right now, because it isn't really necessary to the main plot of Trails in the Sky and SC is a far better "stopping place" if we can't bring the rest of the games over.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just sent money to a goon for his 3001. The link in the OP isn't working any longer, what is the best (and well, cheapest) memory stick adapter so that I can use MicroSD and save some cash? Did I read I should make to sure use Class 10s only?

Thanks!

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I got one of these bad boys

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-...ds=micro+sd+psp

well not exactly that but one very similar. Ive had no problems with it for the year since I got it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Brasseye posted:

well not exactly that but one very similar. Ive had no problems with it for the year since I got it.

Thanks! That is pretty slick, as the lower quantities tend to be cheaper. Is there a maximum for PSP storage? Should I get 2 16gbs?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I'm running 64 GBs and it works fine.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Brasseye posted:

That is a huge waste of money. Same thing, (much) cheaper:

http://dx.com/p/microsd-tf-to-ms-pro-duo-adapter-black-16gb-max-30584

Or sorted by price:

http://dx.com/s/microsd%2bms%2bpro?PriceSort=up

(Ignore the MAX thing, that's bullshit. I know people who used 2x 32GB cards without a problem)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

And if money is the only thing valuable to you, that might work. (Slow processing from Hong Kong = flurrrrrrrgh.)

Better to get one of the six dollar models that are Fulfilled by Amazon and have it before Thanksgiving.

And you won't believe what the best thing to put in it is.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Yeah, $4 isn't a huge deal for me and one goons recommendation plus amazon prime makes it a winner for me. Ordered two 16gig cards and should be here by the time the psp arrives. Thanks for the help!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Okay, I got a PSP. I got it for one reason: Castlevania SOTN.

1 It does thing where it asks me if I want to quit the game every 10-1000 seconds, which is terrible. It also makes noise and lags loading scenes/music from the UMD when this happens sometimes. Is this a broken used game, or broken used system, and can I fix it or even halfway fix it?

2 How can I play Puzzle Fighter on this thing, like tonight?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Mescal posted:

1 It does thing where it asks me if I want to quit the game every 10-1000 seconds, which is terrible. It also makes noise and lags loading scenes/music from the UMD when this happens sometimes. Is this a broken used game, or broken used system, and can I fix it or even halfway fix it?

This is typically caused by the switch detecting whether the UMD drive door is open or closed being busted. This image search should give you a good idea about what to look for:
https://www.google.com/search?q=psp+umd+door+switch&tbm=isch
If you have any sort of skill in fixing things, you can either get a replacement switch online, or find a way to rig the thing into indicating "closed" at all times. The latter should cause no problems, outside of having to remember to not open the drive while it's spinning.

Edit: in theory it could also be the "home" button sending ghost inputs. You can test this by opening a non UMD app, like WWW browser or something, and seeing if it brings up the XMB by itself. If that's the case, you'll probably need a replacement button set to fix it, since disabling the home button seems like a patently bad idea.

Mescal posted:

2 How can I play Puzzle Fighter on this thing, like tonight?

I thought some digital download version was available for PSP straight through the PSN shop? Or you could install custom firmware, dump an iso from your PS1 disc and play that version straight from a memory card. This might be the best course of action anyway, especially if your UMD drive is flaky. UMDs are pretty 2009.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 26, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ok I made a psn account and downloaded castlevania sotn on a ps3. Can I also download it on my psp without paying again?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yes, you sure can.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

And if you still have the installer on your PS3, you can transfer it to your PSP without downloading it again.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I dropped my drat PSP (from about two feet high, onto carpet) and it broke. Won't turn on. My charger is at work so I can't tell if it's a battery issue. I know it could have broken any part inside, but is there one thing that's most likely to have broken, and is fixable?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I was fairly butterfingers in college and dropped mine from higher than that more often than I'd care to admit and it still works fine. Try reseating the battery and making sure the umd drive closes properly.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

I was fairly butterfingers in college and dropped mine from higher than that more often than I'd care to admit and it still works fine. Try reseating the battery and making sure the umd drive closes properly.

Already did; no luck.

Edit: just plugged it in to USB; no lights are on to indicate charging. gently caress.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 29, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

drat.

R.I.P. Mescal's PSP
November 26-28
A Short Fall, A Short Life

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm guessing your system was already hosed when you bought it used and the fall just finished the job. Though IIRC you have to have some semblance of battery power to USB charge so you could luck out and just have a dead battery. I don't have a USB chargeable PSP but I recall a friend buying lovely Chinese chargers for his 3000 once or twice a year when he let the battery run dry.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 29, 2013

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

Mescal posted:

Already did; no luck.

Edit: just plugged it in to USB; no lights are on to indicate charging. gently caress.

As far as I remember (which admittedly has been a while since I've charged my PSP) USB charging doesn't work unless the system is already on, otherwise you have to use the regular charging port.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

TKImpulse posted:

As far as I remember (which admittedly has been a while since I've charged my PSP) USB charging doesn't work unless the system is already on, otherwise you have to use the regular charging port.

Right. System works. Phew!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I got a new modem/router and can't connect my PSP (3001) to wireless. The system does see the wireless network I want to connect to, but there's a connection error. Is it compatible with WPA-2PSK? Do I need to update firmware?

Edit: my firmware on the PSP is version 6.60. The encryption type on my network is AES. I don't remember how to get into the settings for my modem/router, I didn't set up this connection and I can't find the docs for the new hardware where I am.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 14, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

You might need to approve the MAC address in your router. I had to with my Vita after resetting my router recently.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

iastudent posted:

You might need to approve the MAC address in your router. I had to with my Vita after resetting my router recently.

I'm in my router now, by going to IP address 1.0.0.10, or whatever it was, and it LOOKS like it would be where I allow a certain MAC address. My router is just the Xfinity combo modem/router that Comcast sends out to people these days.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Mescal posted:

I got a new modem/router and can't connect my PSP (3001) to wireless. The system does see the wireless network I want to connect to, but there's a connection error. Is it compatible with WPA-2PSK? Do I need to update firmware?

Edit: my firmware on the PSP is version 6.60. The encryption type on my network is AES. I don't remember how to get into the settings for my modem/router, I didn't set up this connection and I can't find the docs for the new hardware where I am.

The PSP only supports WPA, not WPA2. You'll need to change the security settings on the router in order for the PSP to connect successfully.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

pairofdimes posted:

The PSP only supports WPA, not WPA2. You'll need to change the security settings on the router in order for the PSP to connect successfully.

That didn't do it. My router was on WPA & WPA2 dually, or something. But after you suggested this I kept changing things and eventually found out that the PSP wasn't connecting because I had 802.11b disabled. So it's fixed now, finally.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Guys, I know this is sooooo late in its lifecycle, but is there any PSP value in getting Playstation Plus? I have a PS3 and have no plans of buying a Vita any time soon, so I was just wondering what, if anything, a subscription can offer me on PSP.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

BadAstronaut posted:

Guys, I know this is sooooo late in its lifecycle, but is there any PSP value in getting Playstation Plus? I have a PS3 and have no plans of buying a Vita any time soon, so I was just wondering what, if anything, a subscription can offer me on PSP.

I think you answered your own question. That answer being that you have a PS3. As with every other time someone's asked about Plus, the answer remains the same:

Get Plus and "BUY" EVERY "FREE" GAME EVEN IF YOU DON'T OWN THAT SYSTEM RIGHT NOW. At some point down the line, you MAY end up getting that system (Vita or PS4) and through your Plus Membership and claiming all the Free games given for that system, you'll already have a decent collection. Even if you never get that system, you still never paid anything for those games, and the occasional PSP game that shows up as a Vita Freebie (rarely) will still be usable on your PSP.

But that aside, there's still sales on PSP Games that get additional Plus Discounts due to the PSP Digital Library being a big thing for the Vita. Aside from that, PS+ doesn't really do anything for the PSP specifically.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah the PSP sales are sporadic and random but decent. But man, Plus has Brothers and Bioshock Infinite for free on PS3 right now.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I have Bioshock Infinite on PC, as well as Xcom, Borderlands 2 and Gucamalee.
Most attractive PS3 things on there is probably Uncharted 3 - and being a UK account, I don't even know if Brothers is on there for sure.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I think my PSP1000's battery is dead. Are there any replacement batteries I should specifically look for, or avoid? I've never had to buy a battery for it before. :ohdear:

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

I was playing a game off a memory stick on my PSP3000 (plugged into the AC adapter, if it matters) when it made a loud pop/crack and went dead. I turned it back on and it hung before loading the main menu, and when I turned it off it made the same noise. I tried again after letting it sit for ten minutes, fully expecting it to be bricked, but miraculously it started up fine ... except now it refuses to read UMDs. Any idea what happened or if it's fixable? (I'm assuming not, but I suppose you never know.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Actias posted:

I was playing a game off a memory stick on my PSP3000 (plugged into the AC adapter, if it matters) when it made a loud pop/crack and went dead. I turned it back on and it hung before loading the main menu, and when I turned it off it made the same noise. I tried again after letting it sit for ten minutes, fully expecting it to be bricked, but miraculously it started up fine ... except now it refuses to read UMDs. Any idea what happened or if it's fixable? (I'm assuming not, but I suppose you never know.)

One of the surface mounted discrete parts has almost certainly failed. If you open it up look for a ruptured or scorched part on the board. If you're into surface mount soldering you could probably replace it but you're probably better off visiting Gamestop and getting a replacement.

If you don't need the drive for anything you can probably continue to use it as is for a while longer yet.

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

If you're into surface mount soldering you could probably replace it but you're probably better off visiting Gamestop and getting a replacement.

Figured as much -- I'll probably just stick with it for the time being. Thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I think my PSP1000's battery is dead. Are there any replacement batteries I should specifically look for, or avoid? I've never had to buy a battery for it before. :ohdear:

The old 1800 and 2200 batteries are things Sony doesn't appear to make anymore. (EDIT: As in the PSP is listed as discontinued on Sony's company store and replacement batteries are not listed at all.) You might find a couple on independent stores' shelves but your options are more likely

1) a knockoff battery (and I have done approximately five seconds of research into these so don't ask me)
2) a permanently plugged-in PSP, or
3) a new PSP.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 16, 2014

• Locked thread