Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Howard went soft all on his own. Once he realized he would rather be friends with celebrities than goof on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, he is now unwilling to ask J Lo if she checks the toilet paper after she wipes?

For shame.

Edit: it also fits to call him Howard the Actor, since he's very much not one, and yet still had that one role.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I've been kinda wondering the last while why the show is so watered down. My brother and I were talking and speculating that maybe theres something in his contract that says if he does something really controversial that causes a lot of backlash, particularly in the "me too et-al era" that maybe they can cancel him and he doesn't get a pay out.

Well I think it started around the time he was a judge on America's Got Talent and I guess he really wanted American Idol. Then Marci Turk shows up and they try to get the show to be more "mainstream" and well...here we are.

No doubt his age is a factor. I mean, he's almost 70. If I'm being honest, I don't want to hear a 70-year-old man talking sex stuff to strippers that are younger than his own kids.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep. Quite frankly I just don't know why he signed another contract. Reddit likes to spend a lot of time coming up with reasons for why Howard has changed etc etc, and it's pretty simple to me. In the 80s-90s he was hungry for success and young and driven. Now the fucker is almost 70 and loaded. Who the hell wants to work as hard at retirement age as they did in their 30s and 40s, especially with millions in the bank? Virtually nobody. The show today is a sad shadow of what it once was, but it doesn't surprise me. I just listen to the old poo poo.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If I may dip my toe into the conspiracy pool, I wonder how much money he really has saved up and is liquid? We know he'll pay people $5,000 to setup a DVR so I don't doubt people have been soaking him for money for years (lol Ralph for sure). I'm positive nearly everything Beth does (Northshore animal league) is funded by him. His parents likely require round the clock care, or at least need to have someone visit at least once a day. Then his daughters, therapists bills (3-4 times a week!), and professional fees (agents, lawyers, accountants). His NYC and Hampton homes likely cost a lot in terms of fees, taxes, utilities, and general upkeep. Then you have to staff them all too.

Like most Boomers, his investments likely tanked during the '08 crisis and is still recovering.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Bonzo posted:

If I may dip my toe into the conspiracy pool, I wonder how much money he really has saved up and is liquid? We know he'll pay people $5,000 to setup a DVR so I don't doubt people have been soaking him for money for years (lol Ralph for sure). I'm positive nearly everything Beth does (Northshore animal league) is funded by him. His parents likely require round the clock care, or at least need to have someone visit at least once a day. Then his daughters, therapists bills (3-4 times a week!), and professional fees (agents, lawyers, accountants). His NYC and Hampton homes likely cost a lot in terms of fees, taxes, utilities, and general upkeep. Then you have to staff them all too.

Like most Boomers, his investments likely tanked during the '08 crisis and is still recovering.

He has plenty of cash. If there was ever a time he was cash poor he would have easily sold one of his insanely valuable properties or taken on yet another job since he has the time. He definitely had a lot of that wealth tied up in Sirius stock that never really did anything, but I assume he has slowly divested over time. IMO he took another contract for a few reasons. Even if you are worth 9 figures, would you turn down millions for a job as cush as that? At this point it has to be pretty trivial for him and there is no way he puts in more than 20-25 hours on weeks when they are on. It also just gives him a outlet to vent that he has had his whole adult life and would probably go nuts without. The next is that he really doesn't have anything else to do. Yes he has hobbies, but he is watching his parents sit around and do nothing for decades now and that definitely freaks him out. Lastly, as much as he has made a career on throwing employees under the bus, he definitely feels responsible for them. Once he calls it quits, there is a big team that will need to find new work and even though "Howard Stern Show" might look good on a resume, radio is dead and all of them would need to move in to a new medium.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

I’m convinced the only thing that would end the show now would be a major member of the show dying. And even then I’m not sure.

Howard would be lost without an outlet. He’s probably going to live to be 100 and end up mumbling into the microphone like Imus.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Two Kings posted:

I’m convinced the only thing that would end the show now would be a major member of the show dying. And even then I’m not sure.

Howard would be lost without an outlet. He’s probably going to live to be 100 and end up mumbling into the microphone like Imus.

I believe this is his last contract, but I totally agree he is going to have to find an outlet after this. I doubt he will start a podcast or anything as he has been paid too well to "give it away", but I expect you might see him writing books or going on talk shows or something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The show is essentially his version of a late night celebrity talk show, except he and everyone else gets to say 'gently caress', and each episode lasts 4 hours.

Once in a while, there's a prank call.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

I think his friendship with Jimmy Kimmel heavily influenced the show and his lifestyle. He thinks he’s more talented than Jimmy but Jimmy was always getting his rear end kissed and has tons of famous friends.

If the radio show ends I think Howard would want a Letterman Netflix type deal.

The rest of staff is screwed unless Sirius buys into some sort of Friends of the Howard Stern show radio show where they play old clips and talk about the good old days.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Would Beth, who’s kind of a trophy wife, be one of the factors to how he’s changed? I would imagine she loves attention/loves hanging out with rich and famous people.

Not saying she’s a gold digger or anything, as she sounds genuine the few times I’ve heard her recently, but I’m wondering if that’s a major factor to his shift.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bonzo posted:

I'm still baffled why they throw money at him. Since starting in 2006 they've never (at least that I'm aware) been able to tell how many people actually subscribe just for him and there's no way that number has gone up in 15 years.

I think it's more of a name recognition thing. Like Apple TV+ saying they have Oprah. They don't really care. He's a in a premium tier, they know how many people subscribe to that. They know how many people stream on the app. Stern is clearly worth it in some regard that people sign up for him still.

But the views for Stern on places like YouTube are pathetic. The views are on par with Nikki Glaser's channel for her SiriusXM show. I don't see how people still listen daily.

I'd also assume Stern got a bunch of stock when it was dirt cheap. I know I picked up some when it was 35 cents a share (it got as low as 5 or 7 cents at one point) and it's now over $6.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

I think it's more of a name recognition thing. Like Apple TV+ saying they have Oprah. They don't really care. He's a in a premium tier, they know how many people subscribe to that. They know how many people stream on the app. Stern is clearly worth it in some regard that people sign up for him still.

But the views for Stern on places like YouTube are pathetic. The views are on par with Nikki Glaser's channel for her SiriusXM show. I don't see how people still listen daily.

I'd also assume Stern got a bunch of stock when it was dirt cheap. I know I picked up some when it was 35 cents a share (it got as low as 5 or 7 cents at one point) and it's now over $6.

I still say the estimates for his pay are too high, but there is no question he is a loss leader. His listenership is high enough that he gets A list celebs, but his value is that he is a differentiator over other services and has name power to entice and keep talent in a podcast world. Without question I would not be a subscriber if he was not there as I would not pay $100/yr for him alone or the other channels, but the combination is enough to be a nice package.

It looks like when he signed with Sirius the price was around $5-6 and I recall in the early days they would always refer to that number when complaining about the stock price. I had no idea it got so bad in 2009 (10c is the lowest close I can find), but it is likely they gave them options at early prices. I'm willing to bet the original "$500m contract" was based on show budget with all incentives and stock potential that never panned out, so he probably pocketed well less than half of that (poor guy).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Two Kings posted:

Only if that major member were named Howard.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
lmao at the idea of howard being broke

honestly im surprised netflix has not thrown him a deal yet considering how many shows they have that are essentially identical, how much money they throw at everyone else, and how willing they are to cancel something that doesnt work

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

John Romero posted:

lmao at the idea of howard being broke

honestly im surprised netflix has not thrown him a deal yet considering how many shows they have that are essentially identical, how much money they throw at everyone else, and how willing they are to cancel something that doesnt work

But would they let him use his own crew and writers?!?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Howard has pretty much said he has been offered something with Netflix which is believable since he is friends with Ted Sarandos. I wouldn't be shocked if there was some sort of non-compete clause in his Sirius contract that would keep him from starting another interview show and he has mentioned recently that he gave up on producing new content outside the radio show a while back because it was too tiring.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lifespan posted:

mentioned recently that he gave up on producing new content outside the radio show a while back because it was too tiring.

So Also: Rock n Roll High School and "Generic show about high school"

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Yeah, he specifically called out Rock n Roll High School and Howard Stern the High School Years... and I'm sure some other sexually driven teenage programing. He said he stopped because he thought he could just hire people to do all the work but they were all too needy for his feedback...

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

There is a giant list a guy compiled on SFN of all of Howard's projects over the years, most of which he never finished, like the Porky's remake, Rock n Roll High School remake, Howard Stern the High School Years, the Doomsday cartoon show, etc. It lists 75 projects and there are more that didn't happen yet when the list was written.

Some things did get made and were successful of course, like Howard's books, movie, Son of the Beach, E! show, etc. but the completion rate is really bad. Howard loves announcing things to get attention and sound like a Hollywood insider but he doesn't have the work ethic to really commit.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's amazing that for how picky Howard claimed to be about stuff, like the animation of HS High School Years not being perfect, he then produces something like Son of the Beach

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Astro7x posted:

It's amazing that for how picky Howard claimed to be about stuff, like the animation of HS High School Years not being perfect, he then produces something like Son of the Beach

At the time, I think most people were using Flash to make cartoons. I remember Seth MacFarlane being on and Howard said he was lucky to have actual animators.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

They should have done an entire series of Jackie the Racist Teacher.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
He definitely loves talking about how he has turned down every big game show and major movie roles. I'm sure a handful of producers have reached out to his agent to say "would he consider job X", he turns down the initial question, then goes on the for the next decade how he could have taken over Hollywood.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

He always talks about how he was offered that Robin Williams movie that no one ever saw.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bonzo posted:

He always talks about how he was offered that Robin Williams movie that no one ever saw.

Maybe thats why he was about to call Robin Williams just before he successfully Artie Langed himself. unlike artie himself

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I just wish they would do a Criterion release of Private Parts, chopped full of commentary tracks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Which one was that?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Which one was that?

Man of the Year

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ah, ok. I thought you were going to say "Toys", and I love that movie so much, and I could never picture Howard involves with it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah, ok. I thought you were going to say "Toys", and I love that movie so much, and I could never picture Howard involves with it.

Toys fuckin' rocks.

I would love to see a remake of King of Comedy with Howard playing Jerry, Sal playing Rupert Pupkin, and MaryAnn as Marsha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84KUyLynDA

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Astro7x posted:

I thought Son of the Beach was pretty good, as long as you're okay with the dumbest, broadest possible jokes. Late at night after a dozen beers, it was fun. :shrug:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Anything that has Dracula Godfried is a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc886n9z_yw

The shows Raising Hope and My Name is Earl had a running joke that Tim Stack (who wrote for the shows) played himself but he was always drunk and in his SOB wardrobe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Toys fuckin' rocks.

There are so many excellent gags in it, but I think my favourites are LL Cool J as the couch, and "Either way, we'll get letters from the royal family."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bonzo posted:

The shows Raising Hope and My Name is Earl had a running joke that Tim Stack (who wrote for the shows) played himself but he was always drunk and in his SOB wardrobe.

Ah yes, I loved that running gag

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bonzo posted:

The one I always remember is Howard saying he was offered the role of Scarecrow in one of the pre-Nolan Batmans

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I listen to shows a lot from various years, like I'll listen to 1994 or 2000 at the gym and right now it's 2009 at home. Might have been in 2008 but he had Jon Favreau on after Iron Man came out, where they were all (rightfully) blown away from it and really singing his praises. Jon is very friendly in the interview. Howard got into his thing about how he's a great actor, and Jon kind of matter-of-factly rejected this premise saying "you're not an actor. All you do is 'play' yourself," and Howard got into a bit of a snit for a while because I think he really does believe he was great at acting.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The one I always remember is Howard saying he was offered the role of Scarecrow in one of the pre-Nolan Batmans

Christ that would've been terrible.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress THE RANDY SAVAGE!! HE IS PIECE OF poo poo JABRONI. WHEN I SEE HIM I WILL PUT HIM IN CAMEL CLUTCH BREAK HIS BACK THEN TAKE OUT MY TEN INCH COCK gently caress HIS rear end MAKE HIM HUMBLE!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I lost a bunch of weight about six years ago and I remember reading at the time that you should never announce to anyone else that you're dieting or trying to lose weight, because the endorphin rush you get from telling people you're dieting is just as "good" as actually losing the weight. I think it's the same for Howard, he likes announcing poo poo because it makes/made him feel like a huge Hollywood player. The end product is irrelevant.