Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sand Monster posted:

This is no surprise. Howard's interviews are boilerplate at this point. I haven't listened to either interview, but knowing that Carvey was on "SNL", I'm sure I could type up a list of conversation topics and I'd probably hit on ~80%.

"Let me tell you, Dana... when I was in that bathtub, I was hard as a loving rock..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
When I was in a movie I ......(30 minutes of things the industry hasn't done for 20 years)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bonzo posted:

When I was in a movie I ......(30 minutes of things the industry hasn't done for 20 years)

When Howard starts talking film production, I have to admit... I go dark.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bonzo posted:

It's funny how often he talks about his storied film career when he was essentially blacklisted by Hollywood for breaking an unwritten rule after he sued the production company of a film he signed on for but never got made ("Jane"). I'm not an expert in the inner workings of film contracts and all of that, but from what I understand, it's sort of a gentlemen's agreement that you only get paid if the film is made, but Howard sued the production company for the full salary, and hasn't been involved in a movie ever since. Coincidence?

Edit: The contract demands he made are public as they were part of the lawsuit. Pretty funny. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/howard-stern-demanding-0

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 23, 2019

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Fred actually has about as much camera time as Howard does, but he never says a word about it....

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sand Monster posted:

It's funny how often he talks about his storied film career when he was essentially blacklisted by Hollywood for breaking an unwritten rule after he sued the production company of a film he signed on for but never got made ("Jane"). I'm not an expert in the inner workings of film contracts and all of that, but from what I understand, it's sort of a gentlemen's agreement that you only get paid if the film is made, but Howard sued the production company for the full salary, and hasn't been involved in a movie ever since. Coincidence?

Edit: The contract demands he made are public as they were part of the lawsuit. Pretty funny. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/howard-stern-demanding-0

I don't remember any of this. I found a TL;DR on reddit.

quote:

Howard's Contract and Demands:

$1.5 million.
10% of the films adjusted gross. No other actor is allowed to receive a better percentage.
His assistant is to be paid $500 a week.
Colleen or Tony would be Howard's hairdresser.
Ralph would dress Howard.
First class tickets for Howard and guest, business class for Colleen, and coach tickets for Tony, Ralph, and his assistant.
Don Buchwald to receive first class round trip airfare, limousine service, and accommodations at shooting locations.
No nudity or body doubles.
No one is allowed to have a bigger trailer than Howard or receive better amenities.
Billing: Second position billing, single card, above the title in the main titles, 75% of the title, but no smaller than any other individuals credit.
A credit in all paid ads.
Lawsuit: It was Howard's position that the film never had any financing to being with. He believed production was using his and Melanie's name to shop the movie to potential buyers. He sued for $1.5 million in damages, his salary for the movie. Both parties settled out of court for $50,000.

Anyone remember Tucker Max? He kinda did the same thing. He got a movie made based on his book but made these huge, outrageous demands and when the film bombed he folded up his site and deleted his message board because no one would work with him anymore. I googled him recently and he's doing appearances at Fark.com meetups and such.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Fred actually has about as much camera time as Howard does, but he never says a word about it....

And he was funnier imho. I watched the movie with my wife about a year ago and she wanted to know what actor/comedian was playing Fred.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That seems like a standard star contract

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

kylej posted:

Nothing like a book of interview transcripts followed up by an interview with Dana Carvey to show Howard is still on the cutting edge of popular culture.

Maybe next week we can get a studio performance by Enuff Z'Nuff.

Not enough fake twitter accounts. We're in trouble!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

That leaked audio doesn't seem like a big deal to me? A goddamn car wash business would make fake Twitter accounts. I would have been surprised if the show wasn't doing it. In fact it's pretty hilarious he didn't think of this until 2019.

The only bad part is he seems like a bit of a dick as a boss. Oh and and the fact that someone in his crew is recording and leaking his meetings.

People forget the crazy poo poo he used to do to get attention, this is just him evolving and honestly, it's not even that strange. He used to hold funerals for people and wish cancer on them. Strumming up fake numbers is just part of the business now.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Imagine if one of his staffers had gotten busted running fake Twitter accounts, they would've been thrown under the bus soooooooo bad by Howard

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

haljordan posted:

Imagine if one of his staffers had gotten busted running fake Twitter accounts, they would've been thrown under the bus soooooooo bad by Howard

Yeah, it's no better than when they used to come down on Sal for sending emails in under fake names praising him/making the same points about bits.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Why would anyone buy and read a collection of interviews that anyone can easily find and listen to online or has heard before?

Howard's first two books were entertaining for their honesty and the things they revealed about himself (if I remember right). Been forever since I read them but I recall laughing a lot and learning some poo poo about him while reading them. He gave us some behind the scenes type of stuff, some social commentary and a bit of family history that made him seem vulnerable and was usually written in a funny way.

Who gives a gently caress about questions he asked Lady Gaga, Greg Kinnear or whoever the gently caress it is in this thing? Only thing interesting he could give us interview wise would be ones that blew up, got awkward in the green room or went off the rails in ways we didn't know about or never made it to air. Don't get me wrong. He's a good interviewer and a radio legend but give me something to read that I don't already know about. Awkward situations, total freak outs and touchy moments if you're gonna give me an interview book.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BiggerBoat posted:

Why would anyone buy and read a collection of interviews that anyone can easily find and listen to online or has heard before?

You'd think they'd put all those interviews up on the Sirius App, or at least play the Conan interview on Sternthology sinc each day has at least 1 interview.

Nope

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

That's more Rahsaan dropping the ball but since Howard barely even knows who that is there's no chance Howard would care enough to notice.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

The Targzissians are obviously reptilian.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Bonzo posted:

And he was funnier imho. I watched the movie with my wife about a year ago and she wanted to know what actor/comedian was playing Fred.

He has also been in other films and tv shows...was watching a random Law and Order the other day, and Fred pops up as the owner of a hippie glass and bong shop in NYC.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hi Fred

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

gently caress YOU FAT ARTIE AND THAT COON BEHIND THE GLASS THERE, THATS RIGHT I CALLED HER A COON AND IM A BLACK WOMAN. IM ANGRY! AND gently caress YOU human being HOWARD AND YOUR LITTLE GAY BOYFRIEND RALPH.
gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU
Hi Fred.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Howard's entrance for his Colbert appearance is about a noine point noine on the cringe scale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oO_oe4X3Zk

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Sand Monster posted:

Howard's entrance for his Colbert appearance is about a noine point noine on the cringe scale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oO_oe4X3Zk

I think he stole the Theresa May Dance/Walk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCDFNRA-Wo

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Hi Crazy Alice!

HI GAY HOWA!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

He really just doesnt know how to act in front of big crowds.

I think I got cancer from all the cringe in the 20 seconds I watched of this video.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s Tuesday night he’s very tired

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Singing "I interviewed (people from the 80s and before)" while shaking around like an elderly muppet. I don't know what's worse, this or his Rob Zombie 90s trenchcoat stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MrYY3BLAV0

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Oof.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
When Howard sits down and talks, he's really good though. I hate that he thinks he has to come out and "shock" people and do bits and stuff.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Former Human posted:

That's more Rahsaan dropping the ball but since Howard barely even knows who that is there's no chance Howard would care enough to notice.

Well king of all blacks everyone knows that Rashaan isn't a real black man, because he goes around with a backpack.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

When Howard sits down and talks, he's really good though. I hate that he thinks he has to come out and "shock" people and do bits and stuff.

Conan O'ByeBye said something similar.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Astro7x posted:

You'd think they'd put all those interviews up on the Sirius App, or at least play the Conan interview on Sternthology sinc each day has at least 1 interview.

Nope

It seems very on brand for Howard to hold some back thinking it will entice people to buy the book.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Howard hates himself so much he doesn’t have confidence that just him is enough to carry a segment

It’s sad how much he hates himself

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

JB50 posted:

He really just doesnt know how to act in front of big crowds.

Yeah, Howard has never been "cool" and never even really claimed to be. Quite the opposite really with his constant self deprecation over the years. Radio suits him perfectly and it's hard for me to rag on him too much based on how much he's accomplished.

I bet he loving hates having to do this talk show round and is likely rather nervous in front of those crowds. Any one of us would poo poo our pants and look just as goofy in that situation and outside of our comfort zone under the spotlight like that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Oh I figured he was just using Gaga as an example as she's as A List as you can get

No, the leaked audio is apparently from a 2012 meeting

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

gently caress YOU FAT ARTIE AND THAT COON BEHIND THE GLASS THERE, THATS RIGHT I CALLED HER A COON AND IM A BLACK WOMAN. IM ANGRY! AND gently caress YOU human being HOWARD AND YOUR LITTLE GAY BOYFRIEND RALPH.
Hi Fred.

YOU SUCK DICK, DONTCHA?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

thumper57 posted:

The Targzissians are obviously reptilian.

My concern has always been the Skreed.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Uhh Willy Fistagash

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

... from Wiss-wis-con-cee-shon.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I aint neva...I aint neva BEGGED for anything in my life.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Hi Fred.

is this from laqueesha?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm surprised that there is No Theme for memorial day weekend and the week off this week.

JD Week was fun, listening to a saga is interesting.... but interviews on 100 and random best of on 101 is kind of annoying.

Thankfully, I usually have about 5+ days of Sternthology as a backlog by the time vacation hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The Benjy fight on Wednesday was cringe worthy. The guy does work a 12 hour week and deserves to be fired (it was pretty clear that Will wants him gone too), but Howard projecting his issues on to Benjy was weird. The whole "you don't show up because you are filled with rage and are jealous of me" just smacks of all of the things he has been saying on his book tour about his own therapy. It's insane to me that the guy has been in therapy 2-3 times a week for 20 years and is still so narrow minded whenever he tries to talk about psych stuff.