Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

kylej posted:

I lost a bunch of weight about six years ago and I remember reading at the time that you should never announce to anyone else that you're dieting or trying to lose weight, because the endorphin rush you get from telling people you're dieting is just as "good" as actually losing the weight. I think it's the same for Howard, he likes announcing poo poo because it makes/made him feel like a huge Hollywood player. The end product is irrelevant.

I've read this too, and it's so accurate.

Meanwhile, my best friend's brother is always posting on FB how he's taking on another writing, musical, or whatever project, and never, ever goes anywhere with them. I'm reminded of this every single time he posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

gently caress THE RANDY SAVAGE!! HE IS PIECE OF poo poo JABRONI. WHEN I SEE HIM I WILL PUT HIM IN CAMEL CLUTCH BREAK HIS BACK THEN TAKE OUT MY TEN INCH COCK gently caress HIS rear end MAKE HIM HUMBLE!!

the thing I never understood about sheik is that he loved to yell "YOU ARE GAY AND F*GGOT" like they were two separate insults. is it possible to be one and not the other? i'm not sure i'm qualified to say one way or the other

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

barnold posted:

the thing I never understood about sheik is that he loved to yell "YOU ARE GAY AND F*GGOT" like they were two separate insults. is it possible to be one and not the other? i'm not sure i'm qualified to say one way or the other

I'm not sure either.

There were times when I wanted to be cool and edgy and I'd say "you are homosexual and derogatory term for homosexual".

It was dumb as gently caress and I don't do that anymore

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I like when they would finally question him about all the rear end loving talk and he would say "Of course not! I am devout muslim man. I have nothing against the gay" and then just go on the exact same tirade 10 seconds later. Those handful of appearances were hilarious.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Lifespan posted:

I like when they would finally question him about all the rear end loving talk and he would say "Of course not! I am devout muslim man. I have nothing against the gay" and then just go on the exact same tirade 10 seconds later. Those handful of appearances were hilarious.

didn’t he cry about how much he loves and respects the lgbtq community

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

John Romero posted:

didn’t he cry about how much he loves and respects the lgbtq community

He definitely cried about Miss Elizabeth.

In other news, I'm currently enjoying some wahamoelay.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Lifespan posted:

Sounds like someone needs to be humbelled by a ten-inch coak

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

He definitely cried about Miss Elizabeth.

In other news, I'm currently enjoying some wahamoelay.

Wash it down with some auwa.

I think Takei is supposed to be on again tomorrow. It's not nearly as fun as the weird dynamic he had with Artie back in the day, but he is still a good guest.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"Governor.... governor, yuuuuuuuu have a responsibility to the voterrrrrrrrs..."

"Ah, c'mon George, I lahv de gayz, you know dat. 'End I lahv de Asians, but I don't like it when dey drive, you know? Aauuugghhhhh"

"Governor..."

Edit: does anyone have the clip where they let George know that he's NOT talking to Arnold? I've heard both conversations, the first prank, and then the second time where they just do it again, but I can't find the part where they let him know it's bullshit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Governor.... governor, yuuuuuuuu have a responsibility to the voterrrrrrrrs..."

"Ah, c'mon George, I lahv de gayz, you know dat. 'End I lahv de Asians, but I don't like it when dey drive, you know? Aauuugghhhhh"

"Governor..."

Governor, you have a very impressive muskyoulaycher.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Youuuuu RASCAL!

I'll have you know THIS Asian was the finest navigator in Starfleet!

George, you know Star Trek isn't real, right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

thumper57 posted:

Youuuuu RASCAL!

I'll have you know THIS Asian was the finest navigator in Starfleet!

George, you know Star Trek isn't real, right?

Genuine :lol:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

ballewn knot

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Dry Oatmeal

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This made me feel very old.

https://twitter.com/RealGilbert/status/1390244771617202177

(Gilbert looks like he's doing well, though. :3:)

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Hey Bindi, ya wanna bendy on it

Ooohhhhhhhhh

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
"stick your hand down your diaper and rub"

I think what I love most about Gilbert is that he doesn't give a gently caress. He'll still tell filthy jokes and doesn't give a poo poo if you are offended or not.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I was re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-listening to the ETA/Kendra saga at work today, and it will never ever get old. :)

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Th-is rose is sym-bol of the fact that it sym-bolizes that my heart is as pure as the gold. You are as beaut-iful as the rose.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Looks like the Mike Walker agreement is no longer in effect.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Can I tell you my favorite Matt Dillon story, real briefly?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Woah!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The only thing wrong with that article is it's too short.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
The only interesting part to me is that they're claiming Sirius asked Howard to tone it down and that it wasn't Howard's idea.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Moniker posted:

The only interesting part to me is that they're claiming Sirius asked Howard to tone it down and that it wasn't Howard's idea.

Do we have any proof to the contrary? I'm not saying its not true but I see people speculate in this thread all the time about stuff that *might* be true, or might not.

Someone awhile back was all like "Yeah, he can't have more than 100,000 listeners anymore coz show lame".
I get that the 100,000 was just a round number, but still are there any stats or other proof what so ever?

Perhaps I'm biased because it kinda confirms something I posted a few pages ago, but a while back my brother and I were speculating that exact thing that part of his contract was that he had to tone it down lest he offend the all the woke-master flash types out there who then crusade against him. And then dig up a bunch of poo poo that he's done in the past on the show. There may be a clause in his contract where if he raises the ire of various groups then Sirius can give him the boot without payment, or with only very little payment.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Do we have any proof to the contrary? I'm not saying its not true but I see people speculate in this thread all the time about stuff that *might* be true, or might not.

Someone awhile back was all like "Yeah, he can't have more than 100,000 listeners anymore coz show lame".
I get that the 100,000 was just a round number, but still are there any stats or other proof what so ever?

Perhaps I'm biased because it kinda confirms something I posted a few pages ago, but a while back my brother and I were speculating that exact thing that part of his contract was that he had to tone it down lest he offend the all the woke-master flash types out there who then crusade against him. And then dig up a bunch of poo poo that he's done in the past on the show. There may be a clause in his contract where if he raises the ire of various groups then Sirius can give him the boot without payment, or with only very little payment.

Well Howard seems pretty ashamed of his past and has said he wants to burn his catalogue when he dies. He also hired Marci and put her in charge of the networks. And the pelican brief revealed that he knows the show is slipping and and that they need to fake tweets to celebs to get them on the show. That was all rumored and turned out to be true. Also rumored in that meeting is Gary asking if Marci is his boss and Howard saying yes.

What’s funny is I think you’re referring to me regarding the 100k think. I would estimate based on info on podcasts I know that he doesn’t have more than a couple hundred thousand listeners. Bigger podcasts need 50k regular listeners to get ads and 100k to get good pay from them. Based on web development work I’ve done for a few podcasts, I know that a few decently known podcasts have between 70 and 150k listeners and they’re far more popular than Howard from a current pop culture perspective. So I can’t imagine he’s got millions and millions of listeners because IMO he’d just have to have more people people talking about him and searching for him online. But I could be wrong obviously.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm willing to bet that his reach is more than a couple hundred thousand but definitely not millions. Sirius didn't have a accurate way of measuring listenership during the pure satellite days, but I assume they have a big enough chunk of internet listeners now to get a good idea. My guess is that his listeners are usually more willing to listen to every episode, end to end, than your average podcast subscriber and while he is far less relevant in pop culture space today, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of loyal listeners that are just older. I feel like every caller he gets on anymore is 45-70 rather than the usual 18-35 demographic people want to target. No question his listenership is in steady decline. While they kept big corporate sponsors in to the early Sirius years, his sponsors today are the same generic podcast sponsors. I just think he has a loyal fanbase of not so hip folks that are willing to pay to subscribe.

As far as cleaning up, I definitely think it is a "team effort." He has gotten openly concerned about his legacy and having a guy in his 60s objectifying women in the Me Too era is just not a good look for anyone. Sadly that also means Sternthology has gotten so heavily edited that you are much better finding a garbage recording of the original content off YouTube. In order to be shocking, you have to do some stuff that does not age well and he did plenty of that. Now he wants to wipe that under the rug in hopes of staying relevant, but really that shocking stuff is most of what got him a fanbase. So now instead of being "shocking" he is just mixing some gross humor in with celebrity interviews. He doesn't want to piss off potential guests so he is very reserved about talking negatively about any of those folks which does make the show even softer. Then there is not enough content to fill in the gaps, so his on air banter has just turned heavily in to "the basics" so he just talks about TV, food, and sex. I still listen, but no question the show is slowing down even over the last year. After the last couple weeks of shows, I am definitely in the camp that they need to get back in studio ASAP or his remaining listeners will really start to dissipate.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

That is all equally reasonable!

Oh also one thing that makes me think his listeners are lower is because his ads are essentially the exact same ads as podcasts. No real big sponsors or corporations in spite of the show being insanely safe nowadays.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Moniker posted:

Well Howard seems pretty ashamed of his past and has said he wants to burn his catalogue when he dies. He also hired Marci and put her in charge of the networks. And the pelican brief revealed that he knows the show is slipping and and that they need to fake tweets to celebs to get them on the show. That was all rumored and turned out to be true. Also rumored in that meeting is Gary asking if Marci is his boss and Howard saying yes.

What’s funny is I think you’re referring to me regarding the 100k think. I would estimate based on info on podcasts I know that he doesn’t have more than a couple hundred thousand listeners. Bigger podcasts need 50k regular listeners to get ads and 100k to get good pay from them. Based on web development work I’ve done for a few podcasts, I know that a few decently known podcasts have between 70 and 150k listeners and they’re far more popular than Howard from a current pop culture perspective. So I can’t imagine he’s got millions and millions of listeners because IMO he’d just have to have more people people talking about him and searching for him online. But I could be wrong obviously.

What’s more valuable though. More people listening to a free podcast with ads they can skip, or fewer people listening to a live radio show with unskipable ads, and paying $17/mo for access or whatever it is now.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lifespan posted:

I'm willing to bet that his reach is more than a couple hundred thousand but definitely not millions. Sirius didn't have a accurate way of measuring listenership during the pure satellite days, but I assume they have a big enough chunk of internet listeners now to get a good idea. My guess is that his listeners are usually more willing to listen to every episode, end to end, than your average podcast subscriber and while he is far less relevant in pop culture space today, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of loyal listeners that are just older. I feel like every caller he gets on anymore is 45-70 rather than the usual 18-35 demographic people want to target. No question his listenership is in steady decline. While they kept big corporate sponsors in to the early Sirius years, his sponsors today are the same generic podcast sponsors. I just think he has a loyal fanbase of not so hip folks that are willing to pay to subscribe.

As far as cleaning up, I definitely think it is a "team effort." He has gotten openly concerned about his legacy and having a guy in his 60s objectifying women in the Me Too era is just not a good look for anyone. Sadly that also means Sternthology has gotten so heavily edited that you are much better finding a garbage recording of the original content off YouTube. In order to be shocking, you have to do some stuff that does not age well and he did plenty of that. Now he wants to wipe that under the rug in hopes of staying relevant, but really that shocking stuff is most of what got him a fanbase. So now instead of being "shocking" he is just mixing some gross humor in with celebrity interviews. He doesn't want to piss off potential guests so he is very reserved about talking negatively about any of those folks which does make the show even softer. Then there is not enough content to fill in the gaps, so his on air banter has just turned heavily in to "the basics" so he just talks about TV, food, and sex. I still listen, but no question the show is slowing down even over the last year. After the last couple weeks of shows, I am definitely in the camp that they need to get back in studio ASAP or his remaining listeners will really start to dissipate.

I agree with you and I actually really don't care that Howard changed. Honestly Howard is too old and out of touch to do the show he did 25 years ago. He doesn't know how to survive in 2021 while being edgy (hell I barely know how)., but also I don't want my edginess from a guy approaching 70. I still listen here and there, but over the last few years only staff drama kept me coming back. Since Brent left and now COVID there hasn't been much of that. I have been listening to Jim Norton in the morning some (or music) and Bonfire on the way home (also Volume on Tuesdays for their top 5 show). Bonfire for example is case of younger guys (I really like Dan Soder who is on Billions) who know how to be edgy at times while walking the line of of surviving in 2021.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 10, 2021

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Astro7x posted:

What’s more valuable though. More people listening to a free podcast with ads they can skip, or fewer people listening to a live radio show with unskipable ads, and paying $17/mo for access or whatever it is now.

I’d say few people pay at all let alone pay $17 but I hear your point and it’s valid as well

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
On the May 5th episode last week when George was on, about five minutes into the show they played a song parody with the lyrics "a place in Central Park to butt gently caress in the dark and shoot...some...jizz". Does anybody know what song it was parodying?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just got off the phone with Sirius since the 3 month sub on the new truck is running out. I still have Sirius in my Outback which runs out from its annual all access plan this month. My plan was to keep all access on my Tacoma and do the select plan (pretty much the same but without Stern) on the Outback. By the time the call was over I ended up doing an annual select sub on both vehicles since doing select on 2 vehicles was the same as doing all access on one. They did ask why I wouldn't do the all access, I told them Stern is no longer worth the upgrade. So just because I can defend what he is doing now, doesn't mean I want to listen any more. I may check in later this year and see if things have changed, but I doubt it. I am starting to wonder if he will ever go back to the studio 3 days a week.

Edit: I did check the few music stations I lost (I could care less about sports), and the only one I do listen to is Yacht Rock radio. That hurts more than giving up Stern.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 10, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There are only two songs that I could consider Yacht Rock; Duran Duran's "Rio" and Phil Collins "Take Me Home".

So if that station only plays those, sign me the gently caress up.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

On the May 5th episode last week when George was on, about five minutes into the show they played a song parody with the lyrics "a place in Central Park to butt gently caress in the dark and shoot...some...jizz". Does anybody know what song it was parodying?

"All That Jazz" from the musical of the same name.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lifespan posted:

"All That Jazz" from the musical of the same name.

Thanks man!

Rhinosauserous!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There are only two songs that I could consider Yacht Rock; Duran Duran's "Rio" and Phil Collins "Take Me Home".

So if that station only plays those, sign me the gently caress up.

what the gently caress lol Rio isn't yacht rock it's new wave. George is getting upset!!!!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

barnold posted:

what the gently caress lol Rio isn't yacht rock it's new wave. George is getting upset!!!!

That I agree with (I know the video is on a yacht, but Duran Duran was too cool for yacht rock). Yacht Rock is music I hated growing up, but now I oddly find comfort in.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a little bit of a tip for anybody who wants to download episodes of the show in MP3 format.

For the record, I do not consider it piracy because I have a Sirius subscription, but I often cannot listen to the show when it airs. There are times where I am 2 months behind on the show, and I finally catch up via the MP3s. You cannot get that far behind on the Sirius app; I think they only keep the last 5 shows or so and then they remove them.

Anyway I used to use redskunk back in the day, and when that was shut down I used magnetdl.com. Unfortunately that site stopped uploading episodes too.

Unless there's something obvious I am missing, the only place I can find it these days are on Usenet. They are super high quality and usually get posted within 24 hours of the episode airing.

However to add to the confusion/aggravation, I have only found two Usenet nzb indexer sites that find the Stern show. One is binsearch.info, and the other is drunkenslug.com

To make things even MORE confusing/aggravating is that for whatever reason, the ones "found" by binsearch.info are always missing some parts and when you try to listen to it there's tons of audio skipping and spots that are just completely chopped out (I have no idea why this is as the MP3 is not "hosted" on binsearch, so it makes no sense that it would have incomplete files when DrunkenSlug has the full file). So, in short, the only place I am aware of on the entire internet to download the show is drunkenslug.org (unless there is some torrent site I am not aware of; people on reddit never give it up because they know Jason Kaplan lurks there and reports the sites as soon as someone mentions it).

Oh yeah and you won't find it by typing in "Howard Stern". You have to type in THSS.

I hope this will be useful to someone else considering the hours if not days of aggravation I went through to figure it all out. As a nice bonus, drunkenslug.com gives out free accounts where you are allowed up to "5 hits" per day. So usually every Monday I just download the 3 episodes from the week before.

They're in really high quality mp3 format; about 200mb per episode.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

They keep 30 shows up on the app. The earliest show they have right now is from March 12th.