Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Bonzo posted:

Nah its pretty much like riding a bike. He might just have more stamina now and may have more power in his non dominant arm and leg

Yeah I have been drumming for about 10 years and the only way I got faster playing double bass is just practicing it as much as hand technique which a lot of people don't do. A lot of the old school death metal guys use ankle weights while practicing to build calf/shin muscles ie. Gene Hoglan. It really does help. Pretty sad that no one on the show really understands that he played on the last album of one of the most influential bands of genre.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Former Human posted:

My grandson Rusty just learned how to double stroke...

See…What I define as love, for me…is butt loving a squirrel in central park.

shut, shutoff the telephone.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is this... Is this how you get your jollies? Hmm? This isn't love.

hahaha that may be my favorite prank of all time because Artie laughs for like a good 10 minutes.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Haha Sal, I'm an African American Male my names Lamar.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

djnkro posted:

So, how did everyone like Howards segment on how podcasts are for losers, and broadcast is the best.

btw, how is Artie Langes PODCAST doing?

I'm sure Howard has not even heard of it, what? Artie Lange? Who is he?

I wouldn't be surprised if he never listened to a podcast in his life. I like the GO TO A REAL RADIO STATION AND GET FOLLOWERS, yeah because we all know how fun that is, getting fired multiple times and saying poo poo your not supposed to. I am pretty surprised he isn't a bigger podcast supporter honestly.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

To be fair, YouTube is the main thing that's stopping me from getting a Sirius/XM subscription.

Sorry, Richard and Sal :ohdear:

Yeah it is kind of pointless to subscribe when people upload the show on YT the same day. If I was a truck driver or something, defiantly.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

I Wonder how much Richard and Sal make? Probably pretty good for what they do.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

haljordan posted:

Here's another grim prop bet: Will Artie live to see Howard's final Sirius show?

He should invite Artie for the final show, that would be pretty awesome.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

I think he should invite Artie for the last month or so, have it be awesome, and it'll convince Howard to do at least two more years with him.

This 100 percent, that would be a game changer.

I would love to see Richard and Sal on Artie's Podcast too, if in fact the show is going down soon.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Since all the Artie talk, here he is on Rogans Podcast Yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MrhsUTAnU8

Keep in mind they are the same age. At least Rogan is trying to convince him to turn his poo poo around, diet ext.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 26, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Gold.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Cliche Guevara posted:

Listened to the Rogan podcast. I love Artie, but I burned out on him not too long ago. It's amazing that a guy who went through everything he went through lose himself so easily to apathy and lethargy. He made references to "withdrawals" in a joking fashion (sure), also talking about his podcast in a real flippant manner, yet - genuinely ecstatic to be in a billiards group with fellow comedians.

He has a spark in there somewhere, it's just tragic that we have to see him go out in this Farley-esque fashion of never hitting bottom. Talk about a guy who is incredibly resilient, I still wonder when I will see his lonely death make headlines online and in print. :(

Yeah I know what you mean, it is hard to feel sorry for someone who really doesn't seem to give a poo poo. I remember He and Howard had that Bro Fight like 5 years ago, and Artie was gonna quit the show and turn his life around and nothing happened.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Riosan posted:

Apparently the guy who called the Lisa G news says that a major show member will leave in April.

From what the rumors say, the most likely guess is Richard. If that's the case, it really sucks. I'm going to be very disappointed and I'm just going to stick to YouTube videos from now on.

If one leaves the other one should as well, can't break the team. My hope is Benjy.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm sure Sal will sign a deal for a tell all book for a few thousand dollars. I feel sorry for the publisher that makes that deal.

I will only purchase this if the book is called "Hi, this is Sal Governale."

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Man, with Leonard Nimoy gone, I really hope that George Takei hangs around (and in good health) for a really long time :ohdear:

I wouldn't worry about, he is pretty health conscious from his Facebook page, plus he is Japanese, he might live to 120 or some poo poo.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

De Rail but Steve Van Zandt's channel Underground Garage has some good poo poo.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

kylej posted:

Ross Zapin is the biggest douchebag associated with the Stern show.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

POCKET CHOMP posted:

What the hell is Sal even wearing in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkvmdFyfeQ

Oh man it looks like one of those horrible sweaters that a relative gives you for Christmas.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Are all of Sal's food made with a toaster oven?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

GenoCanSing posted:

Fun idea. Lets ask each other Stern trivia questions. I'll throw a few out first. Please put answers in spoilers so everyone can try answering.
Why did Richard say he doesn't ever do hallucinogenic drugs?

I know Richard said he only drinks, I think he was afraid of getting a psychiatric condition or something?

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 8, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Riosan posted:

Yeah, waltzing into a radio station in a snall-to-mid-size market and asking for a job or a show is a really antiquated concept, and is something that a lot of baby boomers including Howard don't seem to grasp. Just because it worked for you almost 40 years ago, doesn't mean it will work now.

And radio in particular is an industry that is falling off a cliff in every way. Without even looking at the numbers of how many jobs get cut each year in terrestrial markets, check out iHeart's stock performance:

Cant wait to see Siris' stock once Howard leaves.They are gonna have to feel that when he leaves no?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

TheLakers posted:

Now he just sounds old.

I remember him complaining that some of the actors in Game of Thrones were mumbling through some of their lines and he couldn't understand them, yet they were all pretty audible. Then he said he would watch the Bachelor instead, and I laughed at first because I thought he was joking.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Speaking of which, does anyone here have Howard TV?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

Isn't Howard TV dead?

Oh is it, I am not sure.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Just put the Madonna interview on their Youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGHrYS-1IWo

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Kind of.

He is just jealous of the new technology I feel. Like literally anyone can start a podcast, which you think Howard would be behind 100 percent, but he went through a lot of poo poo in order to get where he is. Like you can tell Howard isn't one of these celebrities who likes going to parties and doing dumb poo poo. He probably works on the show like every hour of everyday, maybe not so much anymore, but the idea of someone just flipping on a mic, whenever they want, at their convince doesn't really resonate with him I feel.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

According to Wikipedia there are currently more than 115,000 podcasts. I'm laughing to myself about how bad some of these can be. I know of like 6 that I actually enjoy listening to.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

that is kind of like saying there "X number of youtube shows". I don't know what makes something an official podcast or not, but a lot of dudes are more than willing to ramble into a microphone for an hour, three times a week. The trick is getting people to listen or pay you to speak. I'd say the number of "successful" podcasts is even lower.

I don't know if I'd call Artie's podcast successful yet or not.

Yeah that is what I was thinking, it didnt specify if it were ALL podcasts or just the ones on iTunes.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

BobbyK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By2hbIp2cuA

I've never seen this clip but it's kind of amazing to me.

Was Artie even seeing a therapist during this time? What a loving amazing liar.

I think he was but I am not sure.

I am always amazed how far people will go for Heroin. Tip-If you want to try Heroin, don't.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Once they start putting Wifi in cars, terrestrial is finished.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Yeah there are custom shops now who install Wifi, Im not sure how, but somehow they manage. Like having an iPad as your dashboard is a real possibility for the future, though hopefully smaller because that would be real distracting.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

That kind of wealth is a double edged sword for neurotic celebrities like Stern though.

Jewish comedians seem to last awhile. Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Don Rickels, Shelly Berman. These guys are 90+ and still go on shows/podcasts.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 17, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, that video was such a desperate attempt to go viral off the heat. Just like how morning zoo guys in the middle of nowhere will try to start a "war" with people. Maybe Ari should have tried dropping the bomb a few times to get noticed, cause just punching up towards Stern isn't a good way to get noticed.

I was really hoping for Ari to go on the show and explain the internet to the staff.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

The best thing that could happen is Howard leaves Sirius, starts a podcast at his house, and becomes the most listened podcast in history. Just call it King of ALL media.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 17, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Sasquatch! posted:

Can someone link me to some clips of this Ari / Howard back-and-forth? Looking them up on Google/youtube isn't helping.

Edit - Here is the whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xklqhVcecpM

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

He would be more open to it if he knew what you could really do with technology. Look at Anthony Cumia. The dude has a legit studio and is doing more of a radio show than a podcast, with a decent following from O and A, from his house.

Though I do agree, Howard likes making money and having a boss, can't really blame him for that.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Amon Amarth, Richard Christy's favorite metal band, just parted ways with their drummer….

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I would honestly consider myself a closeted Stern fan - I know a few people who are big fans, but occasionally I'll bring up being a fan of the show and I've noticed that a lot of people bring up the Whack Pack specifically and why they can't listen to him - they feel as if Howard is taking advantage of mentally handicap people for entertainment and that rubs them the wrong way.

I can honestly say I've felt the same way from time to time - I can't think of any specific bits, but there are occasions where I wonder if I've grown out of Stern's antics (I don't listen to the show anymore - I just follow this thread).

Does anybody else ever feel bad about Howard's use of handicap people? How do you justify it in your head? Have you ever had to defend the show when friends bring up certain whack packers (Beet, Wendy the Retard, Gary the Retard, etc).

The way I see it, yeah Howard is using them for entertainment, but they seem pretty comfortable being on the show, because they don't see it like they are being used, its not there fault, hell some of them seem to love it at times. I am sure Howard is giving them some money on the side too, not a lot, but Im sure something. Howard is an entertainer first. Some of the whack pack things get kind of old, I'll be honest, but Howard Im sure deep down feels for them in some way.

Keep in mind, most people like Bigfoot end up broke and homeless, sadly, but that is the reality.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 20, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Yeah High Pitch Eric is literally a scum bag, I cringe when they bring him on air calling from his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Isn't he on disability too? I wonder how much he gets a month.