Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yay, new thread! Good job on the OP.

I think it's safe to say at this point that the show is in decline... it's still worth listening to, and it still produces great radio on occasion. But that begs the question: at what point did it 'jump the shark'?

Opinions, please.

Seconding the nice job on the OP - thanks duder.

Re: the show jumping the shark. I am going to get killed for this, but I think it jumped the shark when it came to Sirius. For me, most of the moments that make me groan have taken place since they have moved. To whit:

- Howard is patently dishonest with his audience regarding a few things. Namely, not working Fridays. And, when Bubba signed his last contract they were all crowing about it but neglected to mention he wasn't actually live 4 of the 5 days. Also: completely embracing people to further Beth's career that he would normally shun - to our amusement.

- The loving tapes. He has put together one good special in his time with those tapes: Fight Week. Fight Week is one of the greatest things the show has put together. And in the precursor to the tapes - re-recording the old bits. Homocomp 2006 was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen him do. It made me embarrassed that he thought it was so awesome.

- Howard sat there while his bro Artie wasted away. If WE saw what a mess Artie was, then you know Howard did.

Just to name three.

I think there have been some real highlights in the last five years - but sadly, more cringe inducing moments for my money. Gary's pitch, Sal's apology - all great stuff. But man, the person Howard has turned into would get his rear end kicked by early-90s Howard.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Hey maybe you guys can start your own Bubba thread? (I tried to be funny and say that in Bubba speak and realized I had no idea how to.)

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

And you know, outside of my family and a couple of friends, Howard is my longest relationship. I'm 35 and have been listening regularly since I was 19 or 20. So gently caress yeah I am going to take the show a bit personally.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Ha...well that sounded a lot more dramatic then intended.

But really, you guys that are 10 plus years out of high school - you're still in touch with those people? I've been out of college for 12, but still, I've been listening to Howard longer than I've known those people too!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

All I need is How-werd in my life!!!!!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

pkd88 posted:

Nice OP, and Happy New Years to all.

Last thread someone mentioned that googling Howard Stern doesn't put his website first and therefore Howard is not the King of All Media.

I immediatley thought that is not Howard's problem, that is Google's problem. I didn't want to post to be my usual bitch self, but today I came across a pair of articles discussing the problems of Google.

I just thought I would share that this is a known problem with Google.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/jan/04/google-spam
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/content_farms_impact.php

If you search for Howard on Bing, his site is the first link. Same with blekko

Interestingly, none of the sites that come ahead of him on Google are link farms - it's Wikipedia and an article about him on mtv.com.

I know a bit about SEO, but barely enough to be intelligible - wouldn't some fine tuning on their part increase their ranking? Google's got specific algorithms for how they figure out rankings, right?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Graviton v2 posted:

We should really just email Richard and ask.

In fact done:

I might orgasm if he replies.

Oh, do post the replay!

Sometimes when my brothers and I ask one another where something is the other ones will answer: "It's on Gary, Preview Page, third column over in green." And it never fails to make me laugh.

(In my head, the pages are proper nouns)

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

musclecoder posted:

I'm willing to bet Charlie Kelly would know.

His cats make TOO MUCH NOISE.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

...and then Gary comes running in to explain whatever is confounding everyone.

I am not half the geek as some of the people who listens to this show and I find their technology discussions maddening.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Did anyone hear King of All Blacks today? That man is a mess. I still have no idea why he told Gary those shoes were a 13. Did anyone else follow?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

Howard cut him off before he could explain, his connection was terrible. I can't wait for KOABs father to croak giving him full access to all that money and blowing it on ralph lauren purple label and Burberry shoes. He's going to wind up poor, begging for money.

Is anyone else having problems with streaming the show. The Sirius app kicked me out saying y account was invalid and the pocket tunes app keeps having connection problems.

Goddamn...that happens ALL the loving time. That app is a piece of poo poo. I am surprised to hear that Pocket Tunes is having problems - never really had any issues with that.

Re: KOAB. I was afraid they were going to talk to him and let him tell his story, what ended up happening was hysterical. They were talking over him like he wasn't on the phone and then they hung up on him. :lol:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

So, remember today when they were talking about homeless radio guy and one of them (Robin maybe?) said something to the effect of: "Give it time, he'll be in trouble again"

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/01/ted-williams-homeless-man-with-golden-voice-detained-by-lapd.html/

I am sure they will be talking about this tomorrow.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

daveslash posted:

I was just going to say that!

Four inches is fine!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

They also take breaks at 7, 7:30 and 8ish. Yesterday in particular they took three breaks in under an hour. He must feel like he got screwed in the latest contract, and is just protesting however he can.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Oh poo poo, was Camille on Howard today? drat snow day, I'm not listening! What time was it on? She is crazy as all hell on the show - dying to hear her on Howard.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I don't watch those ridiculous shows, but she seemed sane and reasonable, despite revealing a few things about her ex-husband that she probably shouldn't have.

She is pretty crazy on the show - she is the resident pot stirrer. Though she is not as crazy as some of the other Housewives that have been in the news.

Found the audio on TMZ:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/01/12/kelsey-grammer-camille-grammer-cross-dresser-womens-clotheshints-that-kelsey-cross-dresses-dirvorce/

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Speaking of the tests, what brought this all on? I must have missed the catalyst for it.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

He's got a clear case of body dysmorphic disorder if I have ever seen it. He already looks like the survivor of a concentration camp, how much thinner does he want to get? He's in his late 50s - he's got going to "lose his belly."

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I am enjoying the "Best Of" they have on 101 each day. I hope they keep that up.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

A few weeks ago they were talking about the new contract and how they had to make some concessions to get some of the things they wanted and under her breath Robin said something about being available on the app and Howard replied with something along the lines of: " Yeah, well they weren't going to let THAT go on too much longer"

I took that to mean they "forced" him to make himself available...did anyone else catch that?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

This has been driving me crazy all day - what was the movie clip they played during this morning's intro? It was Kevin Spacey, I believe.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

-Atom- posted:

Is this on YouTube? It sounds hilarious.

I missed that today and haven't heard it in a long time. I would LOVE to hear this - especially in light of Robin's reaction to the test.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

heavy liquid posted:

Here's the birthday fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ascrsXkn4dk

Not the best quality, but yeah... this illustrates Robin's 34 in full effect. "I don't think my gift is appropriate."

That is the cackle of an extremely unbalanced person.

"HAHAHAHA"

stop

"HAHAHAHA"

stop...and repeat.

That laugh gave me the chills!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

So now this is the second time free content is appearing on a paid service. Usually it is the opposite. A preview of a paid service is given to entice people to sign up. He must be desperate to put something on the air. There are 300 million people in this country. Howard can't find ONE who can do something live five days a week on 101?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

This actually sounds like it could be cool. It will be nice to have someone who compliments Howard, rather than a guy like Bubba who is just so different I could never get into it.

Is anyone else getting those "there is a problem with your account messages" when they use the Sirius app? Pocket Tunes was not loading either (but I was logged on).

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

"Columbia isn't that hard to get into" - Howard Stern, BA Boston University

With all the things you can attack Dr. Laura with, attacking her PhD from Columbia is a pretty bad angle.

Today he was talking about how his "daughters do great things." I get that everyone likes to brag about their kids but far as I know the one thing of note his daughter has done is appear is some lovely play topless.

Total side note: was anyone hearing Medicated Pete breath and make weird noises on mic all through the Wrap Up Show? Someone finally called in to complain, but they didn't do anything to tell him to stop. I wanted to drive my car into a ditch - it was like nails on a blackboard!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

burmart posted:

I think his daughters actually do, like, good works. Like with homeless people or retarded people or something.

It must be the middle one, who as I recall was the smart one. The younger one is a kid still and the older one was in the dumb play where she was nude and screaming about her vag.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I give them credit though. There are enough Paris Hilton's out there who just do nothing but create tabloid fodder.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Her response was awesome: "I only ate five of them!"

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

If Howard is annoyed with the battery now, it'll be worse in a few months. My brother's Droid has lost its ability to charge as time has gone on.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

It was even before they were talking about his daughter drinking too much and ended up in the hospital. Even before that, they tried to attend a press conference and Howard had them kicked out - that was what really started the hated O&A had for him and is what led up to them trashing his daughter.

And anyway, he went on some show when he started at Sirius (Larry King, Hannity?) and admitted he wasn't going to allow people to trash him and he only believed in his own free speech.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

I don't see how anyone can listen to a show called "wacky name" AND "normal name". That's like radio bullshit 101. The thing I hate most about radio. It's a step up from Tradio, but not a very big one to be the wacky morning guys with one guy with a funny name and a hot chick doing the traffic!

For what it is worth, Opie and Anthony are not at all like that. Bubba is a hundred times more hackey radio, in my opinion. O&A are more just poo poo around and bullshit, much like Howard. And prior to the bad blood, they used to talk about what big fans they were. Anthony was even on Howard once during a contest.

burmart posted:

"Bubba the Love Sponge."

Yes - put much better than I did!

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 27, 2011

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

So when interesting people are on the show, it is interesting? Sounds like Howard 2.0 - I tried listening to them a few times, but seems each time it was just them complaining about stuff and inviting callers to call in and bitch along with them, droning out time complaining about poo poo people with complain about to each other, instead of calling up a radio show and wasting my time.

I love Louis CK, the times when he is on sounds interesting, but I'd rather listen to the Louis CK show. Not two guys yucking it up between interesting people saying things.

I guess I'm becoming Howard, too old to try anything new, comfortable in the groove. Leave me alone, let me be.

I like Opie and Anthony, but the show has a very negative tone to it. I can only listen a few days at a time for that reason. All they do is complain - and it's not like, complaining to entertain the way Howard does it (most of the time, at least!)

It's just two dudes bitching and moaning about everything and everyone. It is tough to listen to day after day.

AxeManiac posted:

In my dream radio, Howard is better when he doesn't have a big guest on. I'm more a fan of the whack pack and all the kooks he brings in there and his stories about his life and his parents. I could care less if Steven Tyler had anal or a three way with his girlfriend.

Pretty much how I feel most days. Half the time when a guest comes in, I tune out. That said - when was the last time we heard a HowardTV Girl of the Month come in? I can't remember the last time I heard one of them come in. That is easily the worst part of the show, consistently.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

If Howard gave them a show on Fridays with someone to host (I find John Hein annoying, but maybe he is the best one for the job since he is such an utter square) and keep them on point. Something live on the days he chooses to not work would be great!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Sometimes people who appear to be the most liberal and enlightened are also the most racist. As an example I offer all of the northeast.

Their liberal views act as a shield.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Skitz posted:

Somebody really needs to get to the bottom of this "I've created a few viral videos" mystery.

Yes! What was THAT all about? I kind of laughed when he said it, I was thinking he was joking. But uh, maybe he wasn't?

Edit: and I don't mean he created some, but that he maybe misunderstands what they are and thinks filming something on the BlackBerry is creating a viral video.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

-Atom- posted:

He had to be joking, there is no way Howard made four or five videos that 'went viral' and we just now barely hear about it.

On TWUS, Gary said he didn't know what he was talking about and also wasn't sure if he has kidding. I thought he was kidding...or making light of how easy it was. As in, it was so easy that even he could do it.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

scapulataf posted:

I love this comment on his "new" account.

STOP KEEPING THOSE CRAB CLAWS OFF CAM--I WANT THEM WHERE I CAN SEE THEM AT ALL TIMES.  SAFETY FIRST.

:lol:

If he keeps this up he doesn't have to call in. This is even better.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Skitz posted:

What the hell. Yeah, Robin. Looks...delicious?

I can't find anything resembling a pizza in that photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Someone refresh my memory about that Gary dinner story...was that when they were all over there at Gary's and Howard got mad because they ate late? And Gary had hired someone to cook for them or something...?