Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

AltronHGX posted:

Hell yeah, Richard in one day of his life has more happiness and fulfillment than Howard has had in his entire life. Howard just wishes he had a passion or interest in anything but loving Beth anymore.

Howard pretty obviously also thinks he could be a rock star. In some of the older shows (I've only been listening since Sirius - maybe somebody can confirm this) it seems like he would often try to jam with guests on guitar. He's a horrible guitar player with a stunted sense of rhythm. Even worse is when he tries to sing, because he clearly can't properly hear the pitch of his own voice when he sings (this was horrible when he tried to sing a long with musical guests, but you can also hear it when he occasionally shows his cheesy radio DJ side by singing over top of songs when he cuts to the studio), because he's horrible at that too.

Considering these things, it makes perfect sense that he would be jealous about Richard who appears to be naturally talented and who actually understands the fundamentals (and more) of making music.

Also, just in a general sense Howard's career and personal growth has been plateaued for years now and Richard on the other hand has been on a steady upswing which has been even more dramatic lately with his weight loss and music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

-Atom- posted:

People tend to forget that Robin is pushing 60, and women do lose their hair.

Also while dreads are really great, they're certainly not the healthiest way to maintain your hair.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Alkaphanel posted:

I guess I'm biased by being in the Kevin Smith "demographic" (30/white/comic nerd/into indie films when Clerks broke)

You're 30 years old and you were into indie films when Clerks broke? So you were into indie films when you were 13 years old? So when the other kids at your junior high school were checking out The Mask, you were rocking out with Ju Dou? Are your parents film studies profs?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Streebs posted:

I thought it was really good

I liked the part where the guy who often plays outdoor concerts that can be heard from blocks away and normally ends with cannons being fired complained about people with loud car stereos.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kelly posted:

The Office had a shout out to Howard a couple weeks ago. Someone here mentioned it I think. The Kathy Bates character (Jo) asked Jim (John Krasinski)if he had listened to Howard that morning, and then she made some crack about how Robin is really good on the show but has to remember it's Howard's show. It was incredibly random.

I don't think it was really that random.

When Jo asked Jim if he listened to Stern, he was quick to shrug it off with a "no" and turn to the camera with his trademark "what the gently caress" look. Jim is supposed to be the young cool level headed guy and Jo is supposed to be a disconnected older crazy person. A lot of the demographic for the show would agree about Howard being "uncool", so it was probably at least a bit of a shot.

Also "The Office" is currently going through a leadership crisis with the exit of Michael Scott, so the comment about how a secondary person (Robin) can be really good but still needs a primary (Howard) fit in with the theme of the episode. The character was actually only at the office because of issues surrounding that leadership crisis.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kelly posted:

Holy shitballs. You must be a regular in The Office thread. :)

Definitely not a regular, no. I'm a movie nerd.

Kelly posted:

Here is why it was random: The Office operates almost in a different reality than we do. You don't hear them talking movies or music in that casual of a way typically, so of all things to bring up Howard seemed weird.

What? Off the top of my head from this season alone ...

There was a whole episode about watching "Glee". Michael once worried that he had only seen "Inception" in a dream. Gabe expressed his enthusiasm for horror films and said that his favourite was "Suspiria" (this one blew me away being a huge Argento fan myself). There was a whole episode about "Sweeney Todd". Michael tells a story about auditioning for a play by acting out a whole episode of "Law & Order". Some of the characters play the "Dallas" board game and drop all sorts of references about that series. Michael often makes "Austin Powers" jokes when he gets stuck in a social situation. Jim and Pam's daughter ends up wearing an Arcade Fire t-shirt for her baptism.

The "Threat Level Midnight" episode was an insane collection of characters making direct pop culture references, including some obscure ones. The Halloween episode had characters dressed up as characters from "True Blood".

I'm not sure if I could be convinced that the show doesn't have them talking about pop culture.

Kelly posted:

I thought the crack was more about how Robin needs to shut up.

Could be I guess.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Evil Agita posted:

Yeah. 3 days a week is pretty weak, and it'll totally become a permanent thing.

I have some grudging respect for what he's doing. He's basically doing a controlled fade away. He continues to play up the fact that he's still relevant to his hardcore fans and at public appearances, but at the same time he's doing everything he can to undermine his own legacy in practice. Here's the thing though: the appearance is what matters in show business. If Howard continues to maintain the appearance until he's doing one show a month where he interviews Joan Rivers and has Deee-Lite playing an acoustic version of "Groove Is In The Heart" over and over again, he still sort of wins.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

kylej posted:

Howard looks... bizarre. I mean, objectively he looks great for 60, but it also looks like he's had more work done to his face. There's something unnatural about it.

I don't understand why he would spend thousands of dollars to get work done on his face but still have a haircut that most reputable stylists wouldn't allow you to leave the salon with.

Does he go somewhere and ask for a "jet black crushed poodle" for his cut?

The guy could spend $50 at a halfway decent salon and be made to look half his age (but he should spend more to get that mop fixed properly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Crotch Bat posted:

It's very easy to describe the show eras and use "Artie years" and "post-Artie years" so that should speak to his impact on the show.

Artie was useful for actually being somewhat aware of pop culture as opposed to Howard who has steadfastly refused to acknowledge that anything interesting in pop culture has happened since 1991 or before 1990.