Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Sasquatch! posted:

How did Richard Christy get his job? I know Sal got in being "Sal the Stockbroker" and busting Gary's balls, but what's Richard's history? (He's my faaaaaavorite.)

Richard won the Get John's Job contest. Sal came in second but was hired later anyway due to the show being flush with extra cash after Jackie left. The Get John's Job saga is definitely worth listening to if you can find it. It went on for months and had some good moments. Funny to listen to now to see who eventually got hired and who is now persona non grata.

Here's some of Richard from the contest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMG97Gfxb18

Two Kings fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Pamaler Anderson!

Niggerless Cage!

Keeping that recording is the greatest thing Scott the Engineer ever did. I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Maybe they need to raise prices to pay off the inevitable settlement from Howard's lawsuit. Seriously, who was stupid enough to believe this merger was ever in the interest of the consumer?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Did the whole break off with Levy start even earlier? I remember Howard got made out the obscene number of plugs at the end of the show. Then Levy went off about not being paid for miserable men. I thought the rift really started then.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

My sister can't stand the word "moist", which I always thought was weird but was disappointed when I read something recently and that's one of the most hated words in the English language.

It's so abnormal to be disturbed that much by a word(that isn't something like an offensive word) and I just can't understand it. She has no explanation, it's almost like her brain is just wired wrong or something. I guess I'd get it if I had a similar tic but I just don't.

My girlfriend told me the same thing. I thought she was being really weird. It's a little more understandable now that I know other people feel the same way. I don't think there is a word that freaks me out. I can't stand the sound of Styrofoam but that's about it.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Smeep posted:

Yeah I was going to complain about that, too, but then they played Gange and Grillo refusing to leave Stuttering John's apartment which I can't ever hear enough.

It's amazing. One of the few times I could say I sided with John.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Bonzo posted:

His family tried to sue the ladder company for negligence but it turned out that his dad never officially purchased the ladder. He stole it or won it in a bet.

I also believe his dad also was balancing the ladder on a picnic bench to get extra height when he fell off of it. I'm not saying he deserved it but he certainly wasn't being very safety conscious. And no matter what happened of course it wasn't Artie's fault.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

prefect posted:

At one point, wasn't one of them in Israel and another in San Francisco? I think the youngest one is on relatively good terms with Howard, though.

Do he's two older kids actually have jobs now? It seemed like he was a little frustrated that they seemed content traveling, volunteering and "finding themselves" while spending his money. Not that I blame them but it's got to drive Howard crazy since he feels that he's been working his rear end off since he was 22.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

Please tell me the "comedy workshop" is run by Ronnie...

It's probably run by Sal's "Comedy Coach".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-WFX5FLfC4

They should just do this at Hedonism.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

haljordan posted:

Ronnie must be making way more money than I thought to pull down women like that.

It doesn't sound like they're raking it in with the block parties.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Manifest posted:

It did really well on home video though, so who knows?

It's a good movie though. It really holds up, if not for the fact that it's a love letter to the woman who left him.

If it was so successful why didn't it ever get a special edition DVD or Blu Ray?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

I think Artie has way to many hang ups to deal with a diagnosis like diabetes. Even a diagnosis of a manageable disease like that is liable to send him into another tailspin of depression/drug use. The guy has been so babied his entire life he'll probably need his girlfriend or mother to manage his diet and give him his insulin shots if he needs them. It's well documented how he feels about needles.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

-Atom- posted:

I hope Jimmy Kimmel gets him something nice off his Amazon wishlist to send the little guy off.

The least he can do is cry during his opening monologue.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Another thing to admire about Howard was he really knew how to use Artie effectively. The same with Jokeman or John. All those people are unfunny disasters outside of the Stern Show.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Jackie could never in a million years make anything close to what he was making on the Stern show anywhere else. Howard could have left K-Rock and signed at another radio station the next day for the same or more money than he was making. That's the difference. Jackie was an idiot for leaving. He had to work 4 hours a day and got millions in free plugs. I think Jackie was jealous of Howard and the money he was making and killed his own career because of it.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

haljordan posted:

I'm just amazed that his supremely talented wife couldn't earn a living for both of them!

How long after he quit did she divorce his rear end?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

I can't imagine the come down its going to be for Gary when Howard finally hangs it up and Booey has to find another producing job. He has to be the luckiest radio intern in history. I just hope he's invested he's money well for Jackson and Lucus' college fund. They seem like good kids.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would buy a Charred Walls of the Damned album to support him.

He already made one and nobody bought it.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Sasquatch! posted:

His contract is up at the end of 2015, correct? I know this sounds selfish, but I'd be pretty irate if he didn't re-up, just because the guy gets $80 million a year to barely show up. (On topic, how many days in 2014 did he actually show up at SiriusXM?)

I agree you should re-sign if only to help the fewer and fewer people who work for him to keep their jobs. Howard doesn't owe anybody anything but he barely works as is. Why not keep the gravy train rolling?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I swear I heard Gary say that stuttering John was making $30K per year when he left to do Leno, but that can't possibly be right.

Maybe that's what Tom was paying him. I believe he's said he was making six figures from doing all his stand up tours and personal appearances he got because of his affiliation with the show. Plus all the hot stock tip he was getting from brokers calling the show when he was screening calls.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

prefect posted:

If IBM has to put his head in a jar, he'll get them to do that.

The bad news is he'll only be able to communicate via Lotus Notes.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

In ep 1 on youtube you see the horror of garys really really bad caps about 1 minute in, it seems howard was not exaggerating!

It never ceases to amaze me that Gary actually thought no one would notice all that fake porcelain in his month. They're horrendous.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

edit: forgot about his second best performance in Supertwink by famed film auteur JD Harmeyer.

The best part of that debacle will be that it will be in Artie's IMDB for the rest of time.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

kylej posted:

Jon Hein is disgusting.

The 80 women that went down on him would disagree.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Smeep posted:

Wow, bit of a whimper end to a pretty long, successful radio career. Did they ever say why he left Howard?

I think there was a rumor that Howard hired an efficiency expert. She came in and observed everyone and told Howard that Tim wasn't necessary. I don't know why he left OandA but he wasn't there very long.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

holy gently caress scott had hair once :aaa:

It was a terrible toupée.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I heard Beet hosed Emily Stern

Could be, could be.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

haljordan posted:

I'd hope Gary has enough cash to retire by now.

I gotta keep working Boff. I spent too much money on stools for ma home theater.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

I suspect Fafa Foohi is going to need to ebay some of those pieces of vinyl he has sooner than later. I'll give him $20 for 50 Ways To Rank Your Mother.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

kylej posted:

I listened through the complete year of 1994 and this show is one of my favorites:

https://mega.nz/#!nQoQxKwQ!uD0a3-mLB_bVFKZfph0n1nZ_X7OQ_YhV-E0O_flv4hc

It's December 8th, 1994 aka the day after Howard saved someone from jumping off the GWB. It's Howard in full poo poo-eating grin mode and it is amazing to listen to. You can almost feel the energy in the room when listening to this era of the show. Figured I'd share it since some people here would be interested.

The best part of that saga is when the neon sign the guy builds for Howard shocks him. Golden era Stern all around.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

kylej posted:

I assume Grillo will be the one serving drinks because the guy is one of the least funny people on the planet.

Top. Shelf. LIGGA.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I don't know if Howard has discussed it yet but CBS is going to sell its radio division.

I don't really listen anymore but would love to hear it if he talks about it. I'd imagine it would just be him gloating for the first hour of the show.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Scott DePace is terrible and I hope his sons turn out gay and disown him.

They're probably murder him with the Video Caddy "Menendez brothers" like.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

I know Howard is definitely an absentee father but it still seems strange to me that a stay at home mom would need a nanny.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Djarum posted:

I am honestly amazed that someone hasn't put this together already. Put it on in NY, PA, NJ and the surrounding area and even if it is bad it would still drive pretty solid ratings. I am sure it would drive Howard insane too. I can just hear his response too; the fake wishing them the best, spinning it as the stations are so desperate to get a piece of the show back that they will resort to this, complain about how no one contacted him before hand, etc. I am sure behind the scenes he would lose his poo poo though which sadly would be his fault.

It would be a colossal poo poo show that would probably be fined to hell and cancelled with a month. But what a glorious month it would be. Artie and Gilbert together are great on their podcasts. Racist as hell but great. John and Jackie are awful now. Johns an unfunny drunk and Jackies a spiteful old man that is still upset at Howard for letting him leave 15 years ago.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Oh and DeNiro's laugh from Cape Fear.

Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite Artie bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsX_kAtwwJc

Great JD ball busting.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

There are two popular morning shows left in Boston.

Loren and Wally Show, on the classic rock station. Their billboards have the tag line "Very Funny", but they are NOT. Bland milquetoast show for aging boomers, nothing funny.

The Hillman Morning show on WAAF is actually funny sometimes, but it's politics is are pure Trump. It's like 40% Stern Show, 30% Rush Limbaugh, 20% sports show, and 10% lovely morning zoo.

I almost never listen to FM radio but I always thought Toucher and Rich were at least listenable. It helps if you like sports.

Matty in the morning became so awful that my own mother switched over to Hillman. That's how bad the majority of morning radio is.

I still listen to old Stern shows on my iPhone. Anything prior to Artie leaving. The stuff with Jackie and Billy still on being the best stuff Howard ever produced. There's nothing worth listening to anymore that's current. It sucks.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

I don't think that's true unless he was let go. No way that guy can afford to retire. He's going to die in the black cloud diner mixing his son's lovely music.

Edit: If true Artie should get him on the podcast.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I heard the reason Doug was fired was because he gave one of the DJs some baby clothes and then asked for them back.

Nah, P. Diddy just didn't like the way Goodstein looked at him with his crazy eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Caper posted:

Ok I know I'm an airhead but what is this a reference to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyr9x6yY64I