Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Octo1 posted:

I don't expect them to be able to answer everything in just 3 episodes, as it feels like SKL is meant to be part of a bigger story (the manga is still ongoing I think?)

The story of the manga is totally different, goes in a completely different direction. Supposedly the original Mazinger shows up at some point. (Actually I think I might actually be thinking about the novelisation. I'm sure it's true of one of the several incarnations of SKL, anyway!)

But yeah, unless they pack a lot more story into the next two episodes I'm just going to be watching for the fights, which were awesome. I love the design of the new Mazinkaiser, as far as I'm concerned the rest of the OVA is just there for an excuse to animate it wrecking poo poo.

Honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if we end up getting more stuff in the same continuity as SKL, either the third episode ending on a hook for a sequel or maybe just an prequel series or something. Seems weird otherwise to have a mere three-episode OVA in an entirely new continuity that's got an obvious Things Happened Before vibe with stuff like the ruined Photon labs.

Why they'd want to do that instead of the Shin Mazinger sequel is beyond me though :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shazaminator posted:

Why they'd want to do that instead of the Shin Mazinger sequel is beyond me though :iiam:

Even a high quality OAV will be cheaper to make than a full season, and the return on the investment is probably higher as well.

It may be (hoping against hope) that the funds SKL brings in will be put toward a new Shin Mazinger.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Shin Mazinger wasn't very successful. If SKL does better I vow to one day become President of the United States so that I can nuke Japan.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I have lost all faith in japan liking any show that is good for the last ten years :mad:

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc3731k60Zg

everything

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Broniki posted:

everything

I am still trying to wrap my mind around just how unbelievably amazing that this cast list is. Aside from G-Gundam and Gaogaigar, this has pretty much all the mechs that I've ever wanted in a SRW.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

The lack of G Gundam hurts more because it's the only AU series not being represented in this game. It would also mesh well given the amount of post-apocalyptic mecha series on the cast list.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well I want ZZ over Zeta again, but I suppose we can wait for Z2-2 to see if our complaints are addressed.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Finally got around to watching the Zeorymer OVA after being impressed by the unit in SRW J. I made this to sum up how every episode goes:

:shobon:

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Broniki posted:

everything

I heard a rumor that this game wouldn't have voice acting, as retarded as that is for a SRW game. Please tell me I am horribly misinformed because oh my god I want this game. I LOVE my psp :D

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Honest Thief posted:

Can't say about Violence Jack, the OVA series was crap and the manga never got translated, and it pisses me off so much when reading the wiki entry.

Actually, these guys are in the process of scanlating the original manga, they're almost done with the first volume.

The manga is like a bazillion pages long though, so hopefully they won't drop it. Even if they don't drop it, it will take many years before it is done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broniki posted:

The lack of G Gundam hurts more because it's the only AU series not being represented in this game. It would also mesh well given the amount of post-apocalyptic mecha series on the cast list.

This is only part one of Z2. It's entirely possible G will show up in Part 2.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I heard a rumor that this game wouldn't have voice acting, as retarded as that is for a SRW game. Please tell me I am horribly misinformed because oh my god I want this game. I LOVE my psp :D

Voice actors have already said they are working on the game, so yes, it will.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

ImpAtom posted:

Voice actors have already said they are working on the game, so yes, it will.

This is going to be wonderful.

I hope there's a conversation between Setsuna and Corin Nander - how would he respond to someone who doesn't just pilot a Gundam but is Gundam?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mango Polo posted:

Finally got around to watching the Zeorymer OVA after being impressed by the unit in SRW J. I made this to sum up how every episode goes:

Zeorymer is about an evil scientist who comes back from the grave to blow poo poo up and act smug. I loved it.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Mango Polo posted:

This cannot possibly get enough love.

Kind of gets me thinking, though; since that really is how each episode goes, I have a pretty hard time trying to defend Zeorymer as a whole. The manga is... the manga, and the OVA can generally be considered a curiosity at best. I still love it, but it's difficult for me to pinpoint precisely why, especially in a way that'll get others to give it a chance. v:v:v

Schwarzwald posted:

Zeorymer is about an evil scientist who comes back from the grave to blow poo poo up and act smug. I loved it.

Wait. No. This works perfectly. Never mind.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a show about kicking rear end that doesn't pretend to be otherwise and is over before it has time to overstay its welcome.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

zeorymer's got a lot of pretty dumb things in it, but its easier to ignore because the main characters evil alter ego is just such a delightful bastard that it makes up for it.

That ending though, jesus talk about abrupt.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It was pretty fun, had neat designs and like dis astranagant said it's short enough that its gimmicks don't become tiring. As for the ending, I guess she figured out that there's no point bothering when Zeorymer is your opponent :haw:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mango Polo posted:

This is perfect. And I second everyone saying his evil alter-ego is just such a wonderful douchebag.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

the first frame is like Boba Fett the mech :aaaaa:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dre2Dee2 posted:

the first frame is like Boba Fett the mech :aaaaa:

That's actually an enemy pilot wearing a mask, not a mech.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He wears a mask to hide his WOMAN's FACE.

God, that was just the dumbest reason to have a mask.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just cannot get over how idiotic the name of that guy's mech is.

Seriously, 'Rose c'est la vie'?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
If you think about it, Zeorymer works pretty well as the opposite perspective to the Masoukishin plotline in Super Robot Wars in that this time it's the renegade in the godlike mech who's the "good guy" and the themed elemental dudes are his enemies.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

It may be (hoping against hope) that the funds SKL brings in will be put toward a new Shin Mazinger.
Wait you mean a second season wasn't a given? You mean it's NOT EVEN BEING WORKED ON RIGHT NOW!? :gonk:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zogundar posted:

Wait you mean a second season wasn't a given? You mean it's NOT EVEN BEING WORKED ON RIGHT NOW!? :gonk:

There is no doubt in my mind that we will see a season 2 of Shin Mazinger.
I believe in Kouji Kabuto.

That said, I'm not as certain that we'll see a season 2 soon. In ten months or in ten years, however long it takes Dynamic Pro gets comfortably in the black.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007

Zogundar posted:

Imagawa's said they currently have no plans to make another Shin Mazinger series, and they decided to end on a cliffhanger without knowing if they ever would. Since from what I've heard the BD sales were terrible I don't think Great-hen is likely any time soon, if ever.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Okay I must not be familiar with how things work in Japanland, because that's the second time I've heard DVD/BD sales mentioned as practically, if not, the deciding factor in whether or not a show gets a sequel. Do TV Ratings not count? Or was it just a given that those weren't any good either?

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
From what I understand the BD/DVD sales are usually the deciding factor on how profitable a series is because of how hilariously overpriced they are in japan compared to the rest of the world. Look at Star Driver for example, which has had BUY THE BLU-RAYS adverts after the show right from the beginning.

KoB
May 1, 2009
TV anime are just promos for the DVDs/Blu-rays. TV doesn't profit off advertisements like it does in the US. (at least, not nearly as much.)

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
For the most part, studios in Japan pay to have their poo poo aired on television, and most of the anime that people actually watch/like around here air super late at night because they couldn't afford real timeslots. Ad revenue definitely exists, but it's not likely to cover the broadcast fees on top of the production costs, particularly when sane people are asleep (not that sane people in Japan actually watch anime mind you).

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
At first I enjoyed SKL but then I rewatched episode 1 of the original Mazinkaiser (which is a better thing to compare it to than Z-Hen) and thought "wow SKL sucks compared to this"

Zorak posted:

It's more that it assumes Go Nagai is about being XTREME XHYPERXACTION, whereas, believe it or not, there's usually some point to ultra violence and an emotional direction to Uncle Go's works.

Take his two most better known violent works, Devilman and Violence Jack. Are they violent and depraved? Absolutely. Is there a lot of violence action? Yes. Is there an intended reason for this beyond GORE IS AWESOME? Definitely. It's to construct an emotional mood.

SKL basically has no soul or plot whatsoever!
I don't think the fact that it's mindless and XXXTREME is the issue; there have been "let's just be silly and violent have a great time" series/movies that were genuinely good in the past (see Dead Leaves and hell, certain Go Nagai works)... it's just that said XXXTREME-ness isn't that interestingly executed here. I like the main guys and I think they're fun to watch but half the episode focused on other characters who just had zero personality. The fact that it's not animated that well for a 3-episode OVA (Shin Mazinger's high-budget episodes looked way better than this) and that the music screams "hey, we couldn't get JAM Project to do the soundtrack for us so... HERE'S THIS!" doesn't help either

Mazinkiaser was a pretty brainless OVA with a goofy episodic format but it was still very fun to watch because it was occasionally funny, was pretty well animated and had a lot of charm to it. Similarly I watched the Mazinkaiser movie (which was... a remake of a 70s Toei movie, I think?) with a friend and we both thought it was very mediocre. It lost the charm that the OVA series had because it tried to have an actual story beyond "teehee what do Baron Ashura and Dr. Hell have in store for our heroes this week??" with actual drama and it kinda sorta failed.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

There's also merch sales in addition to DVD/BD sales, although I've no idea to what extent each one is important. Suffice to say Shin Mazinger sold a whole load of models (who doesn't want a toy that transforms into a fist?) but not enough combined with DVD/BDs to warrant a sequel.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
There is literally no chance of this being finished, but hey, may as well grab what you can while you can.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

My gut reaction is "hey, they should make a Mazinger subbed box set and sell it!"... then I remember there's 0 demand for Mazinger in the US, heh :gbsmith:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AzraelNewtype posted:

There is literally no chance of this being finished, but hey, may as well grab what you can while you can.

I'll take what I can get. Even if it's just one episode, that's one more than I ever thought would be worked on. We can throw that in the pile with Koutetsu Jeeg at least.

I mean, the whole thing doesn't have to be subbed. If anything, they can get away with subbing probably the first three episodes, the episode in which the Jet Scrander first appears, the episode in which Boss Borot first appears, and probably the last few episodes to wrap things up (which I suppose could be replaced with the Mazinger Z/Great Mazinger crossover movie).

In any case, HELL YEAH, MAZINGER Z! That leaves, what, Gaiking, Mechander Robo, and Daltanius unsubbed as far as 1970s super robot shows that have appeared in a SRW game, right? The rest seemed to have at least one episode subbed anyways.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 16, 2011

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Mercury Crusader posted:

I mean, the whole thing doesn't have to be subbed. If anything, they can get away with subbing probably the first three episodes, the episode in which the Jet Scrander first appears, the episode in which Boss Borot first appears, and probably the last few episodes to wrap things up (which I suppose could be replaced with the Mazinger Z/Great Mazinger crossover movie).

I remember somebody coming up with a list of 'pertinent' Mazinger Z episodes that cuts out all the filler bullshit and dealt primarily with major plot points and upgrades/new attacks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shaezerus posted:

I remember somebody coming up with a list of 'pertinent' Mazinger Z episodes that cuts out all the filler bullshit and dealt primarily with major plot points and upgrades/new attacks.

I have that list!

this list posted:

Episode 1-3
Episode 5-6
Episodes 18-19
Episode 22
Episodes 24-25.
- Episode 29 (Introduces "Mazin Power")
Episodes 32-35
Episode 37
- Episode 38 (Minerva X)
Episode 39-40
Episode 43
Episode 48 (Boss Borot debuts)
- Episode 54 (Reinforced Rocket Punch - but it's only used once)
Episode 56-60
- Episode 61 (Lorelei)
Episode 64
- Episode 67 (A strange girl and a bunch of religious references...)
Episodes 68-72
Episodes 74-76
Episodes 78-80
Episode 83
Episodes 86-88
- Episode 90 (Kouji's mother)
Episodes 91-92

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

I have that list!

loving hell, that still accounts to like 2 seasons worth of a tv show by modern standards :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

loving hell, that still accounts to like 2 seasons worth of a tv show by modern standards :ohdear:

ADTRW Simulwatch VII: CRABSTICK

Actually that would be kind of fun, in a :hurr: sort of way...

• Locked thread