Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Maybe include a link to the ADTRW wiki page for mecha. http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Category:Mecha

I really hope Z2 is real.

It is absolutely 100% real. I mean, it's entirely possibly that you dropped into a coma and are simply having a dying hallucination, but if you're not, it's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

So who else is excited about getting Chirico to kick the poo poo out of Knightmare Frames? I know I am!

Pretty much this. Gundam who? If you're not a S-sized unit or a super robot, get the gently caress out of my party.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKL was just boring. The entire first episode was a lot of style and flash, but without any substance. Having ridiculous excess loses something if there's nothing behind it. Mazinkaiser doing Equilibrium gun-kata fights is vaguely amusing, but it was amusing in a way that wore out once the first trailer was over, let alone the actual show.

It's not the Worst Thing Ever but it's really bland and boring despite trying so hard to go for excess and tribute.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broniki posted:

The lack of G Gundam hurts more because it's the only AU series not being represented in this game. It would also mesh well given the amount of post-apocalyptic mecha series on the cast list.

This is only part one of Z2. It's entirely possible G will show up in Part 2.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I heard a rumor that this game wouldn't have voice acting, as retarded as that is for a SRW game. Please tell me I am horribly misinformed because oh my god I want this game. I LOVE my psp :D

Voice actors have already said they are working on the game, so yes, it will.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He wears a mask to hide his WOMAN's FACE.

God, that was just the dumbest reason to have a mask.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Is Gaiking LoDM even a good show?

It really isn't very good at all. It's not terrible, precisely, but just incredibly bland and generic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As I said in the SRW thread: "When you don't afraid any sunshine come on baby" is the best description of Daitarn 3 ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I've been waiting for Gothicmade for a while. I'm glad it's finally coming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aw poo poo yes, Da Garn. Da Garn is awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Ooh ooh Transformers would be cool, put in the crazy japanese series stuff if you want, God Masters and poo poo

They'd be super robots with some even smaller than Jeeg :allears:

We already have super robots smaller then Jeeg in SRW.

They're called Iron Leaguer. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aquarion Evol sure is a show about a protagonist who has the closest thing to a literal plotboner I've ever seen. I'm not sure why I expected anything else from it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's coming out APRIL 5TH! GET HYPE!

Almost all of my favorite robot shows (plus some poo poo I don't care about but whatever) in one game? I am beyond hype.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guyver posted:

Edit: It's Infinite Seven... Eureka Stratos?

Wow. If you asked me what I want from a Eureka 7 sequel, every single thing you mentioned would be the exact opposite

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

So I just started watching Gravion and I think I've been spoiled on shows with decent drawing and animations because... man.

Gravion has a budget of like a buck fifty and nothing redeeming about it enough to justify that buck fifty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Miracon posted:

Without having watched the show, animation budget how? Are we talking First Gundam-style QUALITY, or Godmars-style stone cold killing?

They do everything they can to avoid showing the robot move whenever possible. It's pretty funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of mecha anime is really bad. Really really bad. At its heart, mecha shows are basically superhero shows, and they tend to run into a lot of the worst tropes about those but with even less explanation. Even heavily military stuff falls into that.

I like robot shows for a lot of the same reason I like superhero stuff, but I also dislike it for a lot of the same reasons. Even as someone who absolutely loves and plays every SRW game, it's pretty hard to deny there is an incredible ratio of poo poo to Good, even for people who have tolerance for wacky anime antics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only time I recall it explained was in IIRC Destiny where they basically say that characters are using the emergency broadcast channel to scream at each other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

Even though Gunam is a real robot franchise, where exactly does G Gundam land? It has about enough attack name shouts and BURNING PASSION for me to almost consider it to be a super robot series. Anyone agree?

Real Robot/Super Robot is basically a meaningless classification. It used to mean "military robot" and "magical super science robot" but even those have basically mixed together at this point. You have military robots made of super metal and magic engines that tank laser shots like nothing and super robots which are dodgy or weak defensively or whatnot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dunbine is kind of like Zeta Gundam except stupider in every way. I really want to like it but man, it's just a dumb show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't like the show is subtle about Drill = literal and figurative manhood in pretty much every sense of the word. G-L is many things but subtle is at the bottom of the list most of the time. (Which makes it weirder when it is subtle.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Just started watching Gurren Lagann, is there any point to watching the movies afterwards or are they just the series smooched together?

The series make some plot changes, in particular fairly dramatic edits/additions to the final battles of both arcs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getter Robo Armageddon isn't bad but the fanbase has honestly started overhyping it in response to Gurren-Lagann fans overhyping G-L, resulting in a chain reaction of people being gigantic assholes to one another.

Admittedly that sort of describes the internet as a whole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Put me in a camp that didn't like the 2nd GL movie, especially the final fight. Felt it way overstayed its welcome, while the series finale version ended it perfectly.

Seriously not a fan of 3 minutes punching the Anti-Spiral after the multi-robot final attack

Yeah, I hated the hell out of that. The final attack in the original show was pretty much pitch-perfect. Making it longer and more boring added nothing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I need to see Geass, though some very poorly-tagged spoilers have ruined some of it for me, I do hear that at least the first season is excellent.

The best way I can describe Geass is that the first season has problems and the second season has Problems.

It has the Guren though and that fucker's basically one of the best robots ever so hey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wielder posted:

That reminds me...I'm actually looking forward to the new Geass side story OVA because the chronology and tech level are going back to somewhere between both seasons, which means more room for ground combat instead of everyone just flying around.

There's a new trailer for that here, which looks pretty nice in my opinion despite the use of 3D CGI, but even then the result actually works better than I initially expected. Yes, even with the Alexander being an odd design with a slightly silly pose at the end. It also seems likely there will be less problems in other areas with someone like Kazuki Akane in charge (see: Escaflowne, Noein, Birdy the Mighty Decode) .

To my understanding I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that staying at a ground-focused techbase. Supposedly Lancelot and Suzaku show up in episode 2. Maybe it'll be a surprise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

All that talk about what shows are overhyped or what shows have a bad fanbase or whatever, and all this talk about Code Geass and Gurren Lagann, it just makes me sad. Code Geass is getting a new OVA thing, Gurren Lagann got two movies...

Nobody talks about how great Shin Mazinger is. Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Great-hen is never coming out is it? :negative:

Stop making the pain come back. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

So... errr... Mazinger Z got licensed

I'm utterly baffled. I don't understand. How can something this magical happen?

Discotek is a company that appear to want all my money is why.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drink every time Sayaka is crapped on by the plot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Stop posting after each other, it's confusing :psyduck:

You can't tell Great and Mazinger apart? :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

Now that Shin Mazinger appears to have replaced Classic 70s Anime Mazinger, you may never see Grendizer or any of the classic Dynamic Pro entries ever again. :smith:

And since it looks like we won't get a Great-hen, have fun not ever getting a proper Final Dynamic Special ever again. :smithicide:

I'll believe it has replaced 70s Anime Mazinger when it is in more than one game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Guys help I am getting mad at people thinking stuff that's incredibly common in giant robot anime is specifically referencing Evangelion in Pacific Rim.

Did you know that rocket punches are a direct reference to Evangelion? It's true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

People hate REIDEEN?

I haven't even seen anyone talk about it one way or the other.

The CG is remarkably ugly. I can't really form an opinion on it beyond that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's pretty fuckin' Obari.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In somewhat related news, a friend linked me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9AyVYTqZC0

A super robot show being produced in the Middle East.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Is that show about... Mechas playing soccer?? :psyduck:

That show is a loving awesome show about robots playing soccer.

It's actually about more than that but it's kinda hard to discuss without spoiling it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know. I'm pretty sure "they brutalize a robot-girl who looks all of 7, including a skeletal shot of her jaw breaking, followed by her flying off with a pantyshot" is just flat-out gross even if it's played for wacky comedy. There is grosser stuff out there but this is still pretty gross and disappointing to see instead of a legitimate attempt to do a good show.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 29, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dancouga is just not very good. It's mostly pretty dull mixed with some mind-numbing dumbness and none of the characters are very likable.

I gotta agree that GoLion is basically the most forgettable boring show in the universe if not for Voltron.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

-Troika- posted:

:(

I guess I'll just stick with my good memories of Dancouga in SRW then.

Like many shows, Dancouga is best experienced via SRW where they can just trim it down to the fun parts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only thing I have to say about this conversation is that everyone should watch Da Garn and check out just how awesome Seiji is. He's like the best little kid protagonist you'll ever get. Seriously, go watch Da Garn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seriously though. Watch Da Garn. Witness Seiji being a completely believable 12 year old boy with actual character growth, it's awesome.

• Locked thread