Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009
TV anime are just promos for the DVDs/Blu-rays. TV doesn't profit off advertisements like it does in the US. (at least, not nearly as much.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
He doesnt say it in Japanese, but the subs had it :911:

KoB
May 1, 2009
I loved it. Luffy as a mecha pilot? Yes please.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SantaBla posted:

Wait? Are you serious? How could you even say that? The show is full of QUALITY everywhere.

I had no gripes with the show except the QUALITY. I don't know man, there are plenty of cool battles and likeable characters everywhere (and not obnoxious like some... TTGL... cough)

In my humble opinion, it's how super robot shows should be. It doesn't have the parodying effect created by TTGL, the constant theme of courage that gets blasted to you at every moment in GGG, or even the perverted stuff in Mazinkaiser, Gravion or Godannar.

There was even that one episode that was entirely QUALITY, but it was made awesome by one of the best fight scenes in the entire show, so I can forgive it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

Zwei is basically the second half of the show, not really a sequel. Also no, not really. I mean there are worse shows, and I've even watched some worse shows, but I definitely don't feel better for having seen it, and would not feel worse if I hadn't.

I think its awesome. Jun Fukuyama as a super robot pilot :c00l:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, it was mostly pretty good. A few were downright amazing.

Heroman I NEED A HERO and the Priceline ones were my favorites.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Daler Mehndi posted:

The BD version of Shin Mazinger is now fully subbed.

Episode 23: http://www.multiupload.com/C0448B1M8Y
Episode 24: http://www.multiupload.com/7QFNEYX8N4
Episode 26: http://www.multiupload.com/3WPRK9JRIJ

Are they planning to put up a torrent of them all? I dont really want to direct download 26 episodes.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Ah yes, in reality all the E7 fans just wanted a harem show, thanks japan.

KoB
May 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kh7uBEJbnE

KoB
May 1, 2009
Does anyone have a link to that spinoff manga that has Combattler VI? (maybe it was Voltes VI)

KoB
May 1, 2009
Looks like theres more with some different scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY2V7hX-WJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU_n7hkDWf4

KoB
May 1, 2009
I hope that they somehow allow SRW Z3 to have a custom Shin Great storyline and mechs.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I need to see Geass, though some very poorly-tagged spoilers have ruined some of it for me, I do hear that at least the first season is excellent.

You ought to grab the DVDs or Blu-Rays off of Amazon. I think I got them for a combined cost of about 30 bucks. And the new animation for certain scenes, such as when Simon breaks out of his grief is just phenomenal.

Meh, I liked it. Somehow I enjoyed that even after all of that absurdity and engulfing an entire universe into their ultimate battle, it still all came down to two dudes beating the poo poo out of each other.

I liked it too. The Machines were just a means focus spiral power. The Anti-spiral was fearful of humans, not machines. They make bigger and bigger robots and the anti-spiral meets them at every step. I like that in the end its finished not by a machine, but by a man.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I love that one of the main premises is that you go crazy from just being too manly. Even one of the women was just too manly and its fantastic. All the fanservice is super dumb but I still love that show :allears:

KoB
May 1, 2009
As if there was any other option.:colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu9NGmPq8vM

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

But the problem is is that "gorwth as a species" never seems to happen outside of flying cars and Spiral Power fueled tech. even in the post-timeskip society, nobody thinks aside from Rossiu, and Rossiu is painted as a major villain of the show at that point simply because he has a mind. ANd even in the "enlightened" society of Kamina City, It's apparently okay for Simon to punch a suicidal person, a person that he himself drove to suicide.

During the city arc, we actually do see that SImon's methopds could actually be wrong when he was arrested and tried. But just a few episodes later, the show goes BACK on that, and goes "nope he was right all along". making the entirty of Rossiu's character pointless, and completing his total Character Assasination with a suicide attempt, and SImon hitting him and shoving the same dogma down his throat that Kamina did when he punched him when he was mentally distressed, opening the floodgates for the cycle of abuse to repeat.

For coming so far with their technology, they continue to not behave like how people should loving treat each other.

Rossiu's whole arc after the timeskip was that all his plans basically boiled down to "run away" and Simon's whole character is just "push forward," of course theyre going to be at odds.

e: even the suicide thing is just him running away instead of facing his problems.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

Simon had no problems with running away..... until Kamina forcibly beaten it out of him.

Because running away from your problems isnt healthy.

Also youre pretty nuts man.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Rossiu and Simon are immensely close friends. I... don't know how you missed that.

Rossiu sentenced Simon to death and Simon STILL thinks of Rossiu has his friend. I dont understand how someone could miss that.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

My point is, GaoGaiGar had a ton of mentally unstable people, too. Like every early episode Zonder of the Week. They were all people going through negative emotions, and the ZOndarians turned that emotion into power. However, Mamoru got them to come to their senses, not through violence, but through his powers, which represent healing, compassion, love, etc.

Being stressed out isnt being mentally unstable.

e: Rossiu even decides that he ISNT LIKE Simon and Kamina, and stays behind to help the normal people instead of running off with them. Ans Simon is fine with that. Its about doing what you believe in. Rossiu was sure what he was doing was right, and Simon supported that 100% until it turns out he was wrong. Then Simon stops his friend from doing something really stupid. Doing something wrong doesnt mean you should kill yourself, it means try again. Simon and Kamina werent right every time, they just tried again if they were wrong.

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

Inconclusive endings are bad if they don't make any god drat sense like your typical Imagawa ending.

What part of it doesnt make sense? Ashura was the seal to summoning Hades back, killing the badguy allowed him to kill himself, undoing the seal.

e: Your two key examples are two shows that are part of a greater narrative, he probably had no say in diverting away from those endings.

KoB
May 1, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Can we all just put Clawshrimpy on our ignore lists and move on? 400 posts on the same inane argument is a bit much. Especially when 100 of them are his.

Its not like anything else was going on in this thread :v:.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Just finished GaoGaiGar and while I enjoyed it, holding it up as some sort of last bastion of good writing is pretty loving :laffo:.

Even the parts with the AI that Shrimpy seems to love are really the same in every god drat kids show. "It doesnt matter where youre from blah blah blah you can totally be a hero too."

I mean, I love the show to bits but its not deep :wtc:

KoB
May 1, 2009
As a guy thats totally fine watching something for fun big robots regardless of quality, I hate SKL but Im not sure why.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Like everything was trying to be EXTREME! and 90s and Heavy Metal and poo poo. Breast Fire things ARE ALSO GUNS WOAH (are we cool now?).

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow, GaoGaiGar FINAL had a much more depressing ending than I was expecting. :(

Only if you dont believe our heroes will return one day :colbert:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ethiser posted:

You say that like he has never put boobs on a robot.

I love the story about them putting together the final episode of the SRW OG anime and they're all like "...why is Lune naked?"

KoB
May 1, 2009
Now I just want a Pilder hat.

ImpAtom posted:

It is going to be incredibly depressing when that replaces Kouji in a SRW someday.

If they ever give us a Power Armor/Tokusatsu SRW, they wouldnt have to leave out Mazinger :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009
I thought Robot Girls Z would be silly and dumb enough to be fun, but its just kinda bland and boring.

KoB
May 1, 2009

TheManSeries posted:

So I recently finished the Full Metal Panic Sigma manga. Is it a good substitute for the books if you can't read Japanese? I found some fan translations that were garbage and would prefer not to use them.

I finished this the other month as well. I didnt think my favorite character would turn out to be Al. Hes great :allears:

KoB
May 1, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

See I personally couldn't finish Godannar because of the excessive fanservice so I'm a little wary about this. But giving the job to someone who has not just a ton of experience but also really, really likes the subject matter is hardly a bad idea.

Yeah, the fanservice in Godannar goes beyond ridiculous but god drat is Godannar awesome as hell.

Recently when I think of Obari, I just think of the scenes in the recent SRW OG anime when the Huckbein was extremely detailed out of fuckin nowhere. The man loves his giant tits and his giant robots.

KoB
May 1, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

The what? There's no robot with that name. Do you mean the Exbein? Or the Guarbein MkIII Trombe maybe?

You cant fool me :argh:

KoB
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

I don't really care what makes up the parts, but I do love the huge, clawed feet and long mane of hair that Genesic has. It works well in conjunction with the sheer size of the thing to make it look like a hulking brute that lives up to the final God of destruction moniker for me.

:whatup:

Flowing mane and :krad: claws are fuckin awesome.

KoB
May 1, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Two questions that may or not be answered later on:

Is the other two parts of Big Volfogg sentient? Doesn't seem like it.

Is the non Goleon parts of GaoGaiGar human created using G-Stone tech, or did they come with the lion?

They got the data from the G Stone stuff in Galeon, which is why theyre similar to the "true" Gao machines that Genesic has.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

The GGG team is stuck on an alternate dimension, possibly forever, with only Mamoru and Kaido returning to Earth.

I mean, yes, it is conclusive, but I can't call it nice. If anything it is an incredibly depressing ending.

Our heros will return one day :colbert:

KoB
May 1, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And i'm guessing that 'Blade' was supposed to be Tetsuya. He didn't save the day, but he showed up in the final episode. So i'm counting that as a successful prediction on my part. Also Baron Ashura actually managed to succeed in something! Sure, it was killing himself, but he won all the same. :unsmith:

His name is Tsurugi Tetsuya. Tsurugi means sword/blade/etc

KoB
May 1, 2009
As said above, Shin Getter vs G is a good one. GaoGaiGar vs GaoFighGar, the final battle of GGG proper, Genesic GGG vs Palparepa, Build Fighters - Build Strike vs Zaku amazing, Star BS vs Fellini, Kaempfer Amazing vs the Renalto bros is good too.

Gunbuster is obvious. I thought the movie version of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann really improved upon the final battle which was already pretty dang great.

But all those have been mentioned it looks like.

God Gundam vs Dragon Gundam during the 2nd half of G Gundam is one of my favorites.

KoB
May 1, 2009

KoB posted:

the final battle of GGG proper
:colbert:

GGGG vs Palparepa is a lot of recycled footage from that fight too, but its still great.

EI-01 is a great episode but I dont think the fight choreography is above average or anything. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

I don't think GGGG v Palparepa had much/any stock footage, just a lot of callbacks to fights from the series.

Sorry, didnt really mean "stock footage" but they use/call back to practically the exact same scenes from the Zonuda fight. Like the scene were GGG pulls the wing off.

I guess it might be a call back but its just exactly the same and felt a little lazy.

KoB
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

Seriously? That's both hilarious and amazing. The cast of the show were fantastic, and Daiyu was a really likable lead character. Starting off the show attacking a giant monster with a fishing spear because you've got no other clues to your father's whereabouts is a good sign and he only built from there. I'm biased though, because he's basically mecha Luffy and I can't not love that. The fact it never got a sequel is a crying shame on the same level as Shin Mazinger to me.

Except grown up Daiya and glasses-friend looked creepy as hell like Muscle Gon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

Hi everyone, I know coming back here isn't going to go that well, and I'll probably won't be back for long considering I'm posting in here again, but since I've been gone, I've done a lot of thinking, and I wanted to at least try to present what I was trying to say before a little better than the way I did so in the past, I do feel really bad for the bad way I worded my arguments and stuff, so I wanted to try and rectify how I felt about things.

So I'm just going to lay out this whole GaoGaiGar v.s. Gurren Lagann(and other modern shows) thing on the table here, hopefully in a better way than I did before, and I hope you all won't be too harsh, and will just take what I have to say or leave it.

I had a very good conversation with someone about the two shows on twitter that I really feel I did a better job than I had in the past debating about these two shows. and now I'd like to extrapolate more on that here, to sort of try this one more time, and see if you guys can better understand how I feel that GaoGaiGar was so special to me, and why, even after watching Gurren Lagann several times, I just find it and other shows (in the same style I guess) too be too problematic to enjoy.

My main problem with Gurren Lagann really stems from how it tries to present a message that promotes manly bravado and the patriarcal ways of the hero group in such a way that any other emotion than "manly fighting spirit" is shown to be a weakness. By that I mean, Kamina was doing all of these things, the hitting, the rock-throwing, the passive-aggressive digs, the "you've got to be a man" patriarcal stuff that was done to get Simon to change, I think, is problematic. It's problematic because it tries to paint a picture that if you ever cry, if you ever have a non-manly emotion, you're weak and you need to embrace manly fighting spirit, because the message of the show is a very kind of toxic Shonen Jump "this is how people should act! Anything less and you're weak!" thing. Which I think really hurts the overall story, because Simon, at least in the beginning, was a very likable, if a bit nervous boy. He only became a toxic patriarchy symbol by way of tragic circumstance and a horrible upbringing. Kamina does get his wish and Simon changes, but...Simon doesn't really change for the better, he simply ceases to be that boy he was before.

And it's not just Simon, either, Rossiu's character derailment stems from the fact that he doesn't present as masculine, and he "thinks/worries too much". The show is very quick to paint him in a negative light, and he has to be corrected by the boy who had came full circle to promote the pro-masculinity philosophy by striking him in a moment of weakness. But that's all Simon does is hit him and give him a manly monologue, Simon doesn't hug him, hold his hand, let him cry on his shoulder, or ever try to show that being "un-manly" is okay or doesn't make you a weaker person.

It gets even worse when you look how the opposite sex is presented in Gurren Lagann, Yoko for example only seems to matter in the plot, as far as being a manly fighter reguardless of her sex, and basically not getting anything to do other than fight and be used for pervy fanservice, and everyone she cares about dies because of blind manly bravado, and Yoko doesn't get a happy moment in her life, and it feels it's just because she's a woman. Nia is arguably even worse than that. She's found in a box, exists pretty much to be a perfect waifu and force a relationship as hard and fast as possible for Simon so he'd hurry up and do an emotional 180 to god of manliness from the nervous but charming boy he was before, so the show can show us how great being stereotypically masculine is. then, she temporarily becomes a villain, but not really a villain, more like a glorified talking head who says cryptic things, summons a flying saucer, then leaves. And despite making it clear she was always like this, Simon succeeds in talking her down, just by mentioning her ring, at which point she transitions to Damsel in Distress who needs to be saved by her hyper masculine boyfriend, only for her to get quickly stuffed in the fridge right at the end.

And this is where GaoGaiGar comes in.

GaoGaiGar was different in that it tried to promote the message that ANYONE can be a hero, men, women, men/boys who have feminine traits, robots, aliens, happy, sad, angry, upset, etc. everyone and everything is treated as valid and important. GaoGaiGar was willing to show, through Guy and Mamoru's relationship, as well as Mamoru's relationships witht he rest of the main cast (3G, Kaidou, his foster parents, Volfogg, etc.) that crying? being sad? not being at your best or acting like the patriarcal norm for men/boys all the time? that's okay. In fact, the message of GaoGaiGar was almost the POLAR OPPOSITE of Gurren Lagann's. Where Gurren Lagann was all about manliness and pushing through everything by pushing aside everythiing you might feel besides anger and determination, GaoGaiGar was about embracing all of your emotions, being true to yourself, and how you feel, even in the darkest of times, does not make you weak, it gives you srtength. Just a different kind of strength.

What I mean by that is, look at Mamoru. He was the main character, and he does change and develop over the course of the story, but never major emotional 180's into manlytown. Where Simon develops a lot like you'd expect from a show trying to push manliness being paramout.... Mamoru doesn't develop like that at all despite GGG having characters that call attack names and act masculine. (mostly Taiga and the SYRG, but even the characters that are more masculine have their moments of nuanced emotion, more on this later.) Mamoru more develops more in the way of personal discovery, and his own path, namely bring a brave hero without having to majorly change himself, and the fact that, even as thing got progressively more and more messed up for him, learning to be responsible with his gifts, thinking he was losing his powers and feeling useless, upset when everyone was assumed dead after the first Primeval attack and got upset when even Guy broke down, losing friends like ChoRyuJin and Kaidou temporarily and Leo permanately, and even trying and failing to convince those trying to restore his homeland that the Earth shouldn't be destroyed, to even indirectly getting one of his allies girlfriends killed indirectly, even with all of that sadness inside of him, it didn't break him as a person, but he didn't use typical manly behavior expected of all young boys in the patriarchy to hide that pain, he embraced how he felt, and that was never shown to be a weakness, but a strength.

And this even extends a great deal to Guy as well! You know how Gurren Lagann fans like to point out that Kamina was supposedly more than his yelling and he had depth, despite us never getting to actually see much of that before he dies? All that does is make GGG look like way better of a show because that statement is way more true of Guy. Guy might have done some yelling and did badass stuff in a robot, but it's even more of an act than it was with Kamina. When you get right down to it, Guy only ever acts that way in combat situations, and even then, there are a lot of points where you can see the facade noticably cracking. Look at any time where he, in his mind, failed. A good example of that was the first Primeval attack. Even with his courage and fighting as best he could, it wasn't enough. and all of his friends aside from Mamoru were presumed to be dead at the time. The very next episode has Mamoru visiting Guy in a medical room, where Guy reflects on what happened in a somber tone, that "What's the point of being the World's Strongest Cyborg if it still isn't enough, that what good is having a steel body if you can't protect your friends, and all it does is keep you alive as the only sole survivor, and all of this, it was for nothing." We actually get to see differing emotions from "manliness" and it's presented as a valid emotion, not weakness. Mamoru just takes his hands and starts getting upset himself, crying softly, pleading him to not say that there wasn't a purpose. It's only then that Guy comes to terms with his sadness, and try to rebuild his facade, if only for the sake of Mamoru own mental wounds, and just say something, anything comforting. We saw a similar thing in FINAL when Mamoru and Mikoto had to help Guy recover the extreme self-doubt due to being mind-controlled by the chemical bolts.

And this wasn't limited to Guy either, GekiRyuJin even showed similar emotions when ChoRyuJin threw himself into the ES Window even with GekiRyuJin begging him not to do it, or the emotion of pretty much everyone when Leo just...died suddenly. Leo's death in particular was meant to convey something very simple. "Space is dangerous, sometimes people just die." Which reminds me of this. Mamoru and Guy felt similar emotions when J and Kaidou went into the Heart Primeval resolved to give their lives as they somberly talk about completing their mission on a white background... Which, compare that to how death is treated in Gurren Lagann, after being "killed" Kamina gets one final moment of Glory to further prove to simon how awesome being manly is, and hit him one more time, and then go out in one last fight, which really feels obvious, easy to see coming, and it's hard to care about it, because his death is treated with the same manly bravado, and not actual gravitas. a similar thing happens with the red-shirt deaths and Kittan's death, that they are all manly glory deaths, and nobody even adknowledges the deaths or really grieves for them.

Where Gurren Lagann was the typical shonen action show with a very manly bravado jump manga message, GaoGaiGar was, in many ways, a very bold experiment they had to make work under toy company limitations, and they do so brilliantly. Just being able to go "you know, sometimes manliness and bravery isn't enough sometimes, and being sad or upset or not masculine is okay!" was, and sorry for the pun, a very brave thing for the writers to do. Even just looking at Mamoru's costume in FINAL, or the overall more positive representations of the women in the cast, really gives the sense that it, unlike other Super Robot shows, didn't want to conform to normal gender roles, even the one really lovely fanservice character they had, Renee, had potential to be so much more than she ended up being for otaku pandering reasons, than someone like Yoko or Nia. At least when Mikoto turned evil, she got to be the last boss, not a messenger.

Hell I'd even go as far as to argue that Mamoru and Hana had a better written relationship than Simon and Nia, because unlike a typical perfect waifu and mansculine superhero boyfriend, it was a case where the male in the relationship was the one who was mysterious, enigmatic and submissive. It also helps that Hana had more regency as a character than Nia did, which......that's saying a lot.

Well, this post is getting huge, so I'll stop. I'm not expecting anything good to come of this, but I wanted to try one more time to construct a better argument. I hope it's at least a little better thought out than what I said last time, and all that I ask is you give this a fair hearing. I feel bad for some of the stuff I said last time, and I wanted a chance to clarify how I felt, thanks for your time.

Same.

• Locked thread