Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009

Zorak posted:

It's more that it assumes Go Nagai is about being XTREME XHYPERXACTION, whereas, believe it or not, there's usually some point to ultra violence and an emotional direction to Uncle Go's works.

Take his two most better known violent works, Devilman and Violence Jack. Are they violent and depraved? Absolutely. Is there a lot of violence action? Yes. Is there an intended reason for this beyond GORE IS AWESOME? Definitely. It's to construct an emotional mood.

SKL basically has no soul or plot whatsoever!
Sometimes there's a point to the violence, sometimes it's just Go Nagai having fun. See Black Lion. This is one of those times when he's having fun.

Raymondo Person posted:

"hey, we couldn't get JAM Project to do the soundtrack for us so... HERE'S THIS!" doesn't help either
Why would they get Jam Project when they got frigging Loudness? While I still love Jam Project, there's nothing better than bringing in an old school 80s japanese hair metal band to do the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b4w08xusl8
Plus honestly, MAXON wasn't really good.

quote:

Mazinkaiser was a pretty brainless OVA with a goofy episodic format but it was still very fun to watch because it was occasionally funny, was pretty well animated and had a lot of charm to it. Similarly I watched the Mazinkaiser movie (which was... a remake of a 70s Toei movie, I think?) with a friend and we both thought it was very mediocre. It lost the charm that the OVA series had because it tried to have an actual story beyond "teehee what do Baron Ashura and Dr. Hell have in store for our heroes this week??" with actual drama and it kinda sorta failed.
Honestly? I think it was wasted potential. They could have easily made Mazinkaiser a sequel to Grendizer, and then in the last episode, have a final dynamic special with Great Mazinger, Mazinkaiser and Grendizer just like the old days. poo poo would have been epic. Instead, they opted for the same 70s Mazinger Z series with updated animation. They couldn't even come up with new enemies. But I think my biggest disappointment was that they skipped out on Kaiser Nova. Just why?

Actually, I liked the movie more than the series. I don't think it failed but like the series, it didn't have a plot either. Just this time, it had a more serious tone which gave off some 70s Grendizer feel during those dramatic episodes.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Shin Mazinger wasn't very successful. If SKL does better I vow to one day become President of the United States so that I can nuke Japan.
Prepare your nuke then. The reception of the ova during the airing in late November was generally positive. (comments from bloggers) It even has a 5 star rating on Amazon Japan. In comparison, Shin Mazinger is considered a failure. Go Nagai said in Jordan back in 2009 that he had plans for Great chapter and UFO chapter.
http://www.ikbis.com/channels/eye/230577

He also said that after Shin Mazinger, there would be a new Mazinkaiser series. But after some time, a japanese blogger has posted stuff about the Shin Mazinger Complete Guide book which was released in around February 2010. According to him, (from what I gathered with google translation), the sequel is apparently undecided or not planned.
http://newkaiser.seesaa.net/article/147886157.html (3-4 articles on it, just click around and use google translation)

While it would be great for us to see a sequel to Shin, I don't see why Go Nagai would continue it if Japanese people didn't like it. Instead, we're having a new tv series of Go Nagai's Dororon Enma kun this year directed by GGG's director(Yoshitomo) character designer & animation director (Kimura).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh2z5nB2VyY

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009

Raymondo Person posted:

The fact that it's not animated that well for a 3-episode OVA (Shin Mazinger's high-budget episodes looked way better than this)
How funny you would say that considering that Mazinkaizer SKL wAS animated by the same guys who did the high budget Shin Mazinger episodes.

Broken Loose posted:

Gaiking Legend is the Odin Sphere of robot shows: great visuals
Wait? Are you serious? How could you even say that? The show is full of QUALITY everywhere.

I had no gripes with the show except the QUALITY. I don't know man, there are plenty of cool battles and likeable characters everywhere (and not obnoxious like some... TTGL... cough)

In my humble opinion, it's how super robot shows should be. It doesn't have the parodying effect created by TTGL, the constant theme of courage that gets blasted to you at every moment in GGG, or even the perverted stuff in Mazinkaiser, Gravion or Godannar.

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 1, 2011

SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009

KoB posted:

There was even that one episode that was entirely QUALITY, but it was made awesome by one of the best fight scenes in the entire show, so I can forgive it.
Yes, I think it was episode 13. It was a visual horror, as if Daiya and his friends weren't QUALITIFIED enough already. I'm not sure if I can ever forgive it. Sure the fight was cool, but it belonged more in DBZ than Gaiking. I watch mecha anime to see this complex machine in motion, but if it gets oversimplified like in that episode, then I might as well just watch a regular shounen series.

Broniki posted:

My PS2 can now play imports and so I've been playing SRWZ and OGs as much as I can lately. I now deeply regret not doing this years ago because this poo poo is awesome.

On Gaiking: I only ever watched a few episodes of this. It seemed alright, but generic. I'm guessing Toei had way more input on this show than Dynamic Pro which is why it was less crazy and unpredictable.
Keep in mind that the audience for Gaiking is a lot younger than the super robots by Dynamic Pro. I also don't see a lot of reasons to hate it apart from the fact that it's generic (and ofc the QUALITY). GGG was generic, TTGL was generic, Gravion was generic, I see this term thrown around way too often without meaning much.

Also, Dynamic Pro had absolutely nothing to do with it. Gaiking is 100% owned by Toei now which is why we're getting a live action of it. Worldwide release? High budget?

Under Dynamic Pro, this kind of poo poo would never have happened.

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 2, 2011

SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, GaoGaiGar was anything but generic. Watch your terms, there.
The 7 Yuusha shows that came before it prove otherwise.

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 2, 2011

SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

The Kamen Rider shows are part of a series too. Are any of them generic? No. It just makes them part of a series.
To each his opinion, but I think Kamen Rider as a whole (much like super sentai) is generic. GaoGaiGar is a generic show. It has your usual monster of the week, just like the previous braves. The robot designs look the same with a few changes here and there. The story is mostly good vs evil.

You know what, if it's so easy to call Gaiking out for being generic, then I see it's really easy to do it for GGG as well.

That shouldn't be a deterrent to watching those shows. If they weren't generic, we probably wouldn't watch them.

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 2, 2011

SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

How far did you watch GGG? Because that's like the first half and it is pretty generic, but from then on it's a hell of a ride ending with Final GGG. And it's not just about good vs evil, it's about being so drat good that your goodness takes on a physical form and you beat the bloody poo poo our the evil guys.
Everything, including FINAL. I even watched the entirety of Fighbird, bleeh Katori... What a goon he was.

Gaiking was more than just good vs evil too. The Darius people weren't actually bad, they just had a crazy loli and a helpless father at the command of the nation.

My point here is that for you, generic means anything you don't like. For me, generic means stuff that's common and quite general with a neutral viewpoint.

EDIT: In fact, I hated FINAL for not being generic enough. it was too much of a departure, and it didn't strike me as being darker or more serious in tone. the tv series imo was a lot better at what it did.

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 2, 2011

SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009
Robot Girls Z Opening (no visuals):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLgtuXosgIs

PV of the 1st Episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC5S1ouR3R4

Old PV (If you missed it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uM2BW6Y5cA

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU