Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Pureauthor posted:

Is Gaiking LoDM even a good show?

NO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Zorak posted:

It had a few interesting battles that you're better off looking up on youtube

Gaiking Legend is the Odin Sphere of robot shows: great visuals unless you were well-rehearsed into what has great visuals and can see the flaws, interesting and pretty designs, but ultimately a painful slog that could more or less have been distilled down to less than one fortieth the time by just reading a summary and watching the good parts online.

The real problem is that it's boring because you've already seen everything it has to offer but better in other shows. It doesn't do anything new.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I never knew how much I disliked the gattai monologue until I saw Golion. Or maybe Gaogaigar. Can you imagine how loving obnoxious Gaogaigar's combination would be with "FORM WING, FORM UPPER ARM, FORM FOREARM, FORM CHEST ORNAMENT, FORM HANDS, etc" instead of the awesome-rear end Final Fusion track?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Captain Invictus posted:

Goofy filler lines by the dub crew are absolutely unacceptable. ugh. UGH. A throwback to those goofy lines 25 years later in a new version of the show? How. Dare. They.

Seriously though, is it really that horrible to include a reference to the original Voltron in it? Not Golion, Voltron. I didn't even know about Golion until this thread.

edit: and I'm not defending the show, it looks really really bad.

Throwback or not, it's really obnoxious. 20 seconds of the 45-second combination sequence is narmy dialogue that's not even hot-blooded.

Besides, isn't a throwback something done as a reference or background thingy? Like Lockon's Haro, Betterman in GGG Final, Inazuma Kick, or whatnot. That show is highly representative of America today, which is a big pile of remakes and sequels that subsist entirely on copy-pasted moments from their original iterations (even if those original iterations were copied, themselves).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Dancougar is also notable for having terrible pacing. Like, you don't even see Dancougar for what? 20 episodes?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
It's Super as gently caress, but the only place it really counts is in Super Robot Wars-- in which it's a bunch of Reals (weak armor, high maneuverability) that do Super damage with Super energy consumption and Super spells.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, they're like reverse Mobile Fighters. Super high HP, Super low maneuverability, Real weapons, Real energy consumption, Real spells.

I had to fight some people to convince them they were robots in the first place. "They're powered by being plugged into the wall, they explode when they die, and they're in loving Super Robot Wars"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Sakurazuka posted:

I just watched a giant robot piloting an even bigger robot (before combining with the moon), why the hell have I never seen Gurren Lagann before?

Because the fanbase is Final Fantasy 7/Nintendo/Star Wars/Batman levels of intolerable, to the point where they claim it's the only good product in its entire genre?

TTGL is a really good show, though. I recommend you now watch Getter Robo Armageddon (again lol) if you haven't already seen it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Saotome lied Kamina died

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Captain Invictus posted:

And whenever someone talks about Gurren Lagann, ever, you can be sure that Broken Loose will be there to tell you about how he hates the fanbase.

Actually, my thing right now is to hype up Code Geass R2 because of overblown goon hatred (and I really liked it).

Everybody should watch Gurren Lagann, it's a fantastic show and probably like the 3rd best of the last decade! I'm sad that I haven't seen the movies, yet.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm 15 episodes into Shin Mazinger.

I mean, I had heard that it's the best robot show of the last decade, but those words didn't "click" for me until I got into the thick of it.

This is some of if not the best storytelling I've seen in a show.

On an related note (a show with terrible storytelling to contrast), Eureka 7 was awful and none of the hype for it makes sense.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Schwarzwald posted:

The plot really starts to pick up steam, here. Please keep us informed of your reactions!

I wanted to give trip reports but I seriously can't stop watching it long enough to post.

Just finished episode 22 (first half recap/second half Mechabeast Baron Ashura WOOOOOOO). I'm absolutely floored that there has been no filler or recaps up to this point, and I think this recap was really well implemented as to emphasize the final battle that I assume will take up the last 3 episodes.

I mean, Christ, when I first started watching I began to get the impression that the show was just a single long fight in real time, and while the first sortie eventually ended after 6 episodes, the show is paced pretty damned close to that.

edit: AHAHAHAHA EPISODE 23 ENDS WITH KANJITE KNIGHT PLAYING AND 24 PICKS UP WHERE THE SONG LEFT OFF

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 29, 2012

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
HOLY loving poo poo THE LAST 60 SECONDS OF THIS SHOW JUST STABBED ME WITH A GODDAMN PITCHFORK

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Since when does the Getter 1 shoot rays from its fist?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Tinkerbell Wing!
Jiminy Beam!
Beast Knuckle!
Hakuna Tornado!
Uh-hyucku-oh Ken!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
yay, SA ate my post!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsvp3TiE5bY

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 29, 2013

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
(let's try this again)

It had been sitting around for a long, long while, and I recently came into a bunch of free time, so I finished Godannar.

I came into the show knowing nothing but that it was part of the mess of anonymous supers that came out between GGG and TTGL, and that many people didn't have much of an opinion of it at all. On the surface, there were pretty good mechanical designs, a fantastic opening song, decent fight choreography, and a totally generic premise: monsters have invaded Earth. What I got was Dai-Guard done right.

The show goes for 26 episodes (2 seasons of 13), and there are serious drag points. There was a definite low point in Season 2 where I couldn't stand any scene with certain characters because they weren't interesting or productive, and at around episode 20 there's a huge battle that kind of feels like things are pointless... but it paid off. It all loving paid off. I was really shocked at episode 25, thinking, "Holy poo poo, this ending is actually really goddamn good," followed by possibly the best epilogue episode I've ever seen in a show (Macross' 10-episode epilogue included).

Don't get me wrong. There are definitely wasted episodes; 20 minute chunks of lengthy introductions and filler-feeling battles litter the middle points of each season. It's nowhere near as bad as Mobile Suit Gundam or god loving forbid Eureka 7, shows where I could shift-delete 30+ episodes and have a better viewing experience, but it's definitely not 4-episode "No Bullshit" Zeorymer.

The high points are really high, though. The cast is universally lovable. The base is really well-established and never since the opening minute of Gaogaigar episode 2 has a Super seemed believable. Season 1's opening is wonderful. The humor hits more often than it misses. The show manages to pull of Dai-Guard's unknowable, unstoppable menace and not only do it better but provide a satisfying story arc the whole way. The ending is something special.

I should take a moment to speak on the ending... Most Super shows' endings are usually: Boss shows up, 20 minutes of filler, Brand New Final Attack, happy ending, roll credits. I've found myself bored more often than not by the concept, and I've also found that shows which avert this concept are some of the best I've ever seen (Gaogaigar, Shin Mazinger kind of, Gunbuster, Ideon). Godannar's finale made me actually say out loud, "This was worth it." The story is wrapped up in a satisfying way, there is some combat fanservice, some last-minute humor is thrown in to great effect, and it ends on an extremely positive note.

Overall, the show had some boring moments but it's a solid recommendation. I've been absolutely harassed to watch shows that were much, much worse than this one. At the very least, it's only 26 episodes.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

dbzfandiego posted:

The tall girl next to it,next to Mazinger Z its waring a Boss Borot hat.

The one in pink? That's Glossam X2. To her left are Gromazen R9 (green) and Garada K7 (purple/red). The one in pink flying away in the upper right is Doublas M2.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I knew and dreaded where it was going because of the music, but at least they paid proper respect along the way.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Captain Invictus posted:

This is your post.

Honestly, I prefer something like this, which is well-executed and well-rounded, to something like the "Gurren Jaeger" fanart with Kamina and kid Simon piloting.

If it was adult Simon and Viral? I'd be totally behind that. It's a goddamn shame that 85% of the show's fans didn't actually watch the show, though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

tsob posted:

Yea, how dare they have fun making fan-art of two of the more popular characters from the show, two people who had spent years as each other's only real friends and who understand each other to a pretty good degree - those bastards! If they liked Kamina over Viral then they obviously haven't seen the show for reals. Unlike you, whose opinion is objectively right.

It's not a grump thing, it's what Invictus said-- an overwhelming majority of (non-us, non-/m/) people who parade the show stopped watching the moment the plot started to actually move while celebrating how the 1-dimensional plot device is the "manliest" and a better character than the actual characters of the show. I'm not shooting down Simon and Kamina's relationship... in fact, it's one of the driving points of what is a very good show. How do I put this?

Basically, imagine if the Star Wars prequels never existed. Now imagine that 9 out of 10 people who were crazy about Star Wars never watched past Obi-Wan's death and proclaimed that Obi-Wan was the best thing ever and the rest of Star Wars was forever awful because Obi-Wan didn't exist. How much Obi-Wan + Luke fanart do you see, nowadays? Does that make Luke a less well-developed character?

Gurren Lagann is a great show with a few (but very few) faults. I've seen people who stopped watching Nadesico after Gai Daigohji was shot in a hangar, which is somehow worse because it happens like 3 episodes in.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

tsob posted:

Which prompts me to ask how you know those fans were doing it because they never watched past Kamina's death, and not just because they liked Simon and Kamina? - two characters who spent quite a good chunk of the show being the principal pilots. I can't check right now, but Simon and Kamina probably dual piloted Gurren Lagann for 6 episodes, which may be more time than Simon and Viral spent together piloting and certainly ain't much less.

Real talk? Facebook.

If I post something on Facebook or see a conversation on Facebook that leads to a robot discussion, I have somewhere around 20 friends that discuss things like Gosaurer and 80+ that are "drill heavens" zombies. My only complaint is that the scale video could use different music.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kanos posted:

Even in Dai Guard collateral damage was primarily used as a gag device to make jokes about panicked salarymen punching repair costs into their calculators and sweating profusely every time Akagi flattened a car or punched a heterodyne into a skyscraper or whatever.

Gear Fighter Dendoh had the best collateral damage gag.

Prefabricated buildings are seen being airlifted into Hoshimi-cho after the first fight. Over the course of the series, they gradually become a more and more numerous part of the background of otherwise "normal" shots as the fights get more and more devastating. By the time you get to the end of the show, there's almost always several buildings being airlifted in practically a city block at a time.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Sakurazuka posted:

You could try Panzer World Galient, which is basically Escaflowne without the shoujo.

Also it has a :krad: OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CiX6ArmsQ

Oh my god I have to watch this show

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Here's the trick to what makes Gunbuster have such a great impact: It starts as gritty sci-fi with rules and tiny suits with years of training, and then the Super half of the show just kind of blindsides you with awesomeness. This effect is somewhat lost when the second half of the show is hyped up.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Does anybody know where I can acquire the BGM used for Hotblooded Combination Gosaurer and Saurer Magma Finish? The show isn't special but goddamn is the music amazing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo3F6ekuYug

Hooooooooooooooooooooly poo poo.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Kill La Kill has like 2 or 3 times more fanservice than Godannar, and the former isn't even halfway done.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
This show's gonna be amazing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

Zeorymer could be interesting but whatever interesting stuff it has isn't getting fleshed out in that period of time.

I actually think the opposite; Zeorymer's an amazing show because it doesn't gently caress around and overstay its welcome.

muike posted:

Is Zeorymer the one where someone gets raped with an icicle or something

Yeah, don't read the manga. The show lacks this, thankfully.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TARDISman posted:

Ok, I've got my spring break coming up and I want to have a list of stuff to watch, I've got Mazinkaiser, SKL, New Getter Robo, Dancougar Nova, Gunbuster, and Overman King Gainer to finally plow through, is there any other particular non Gundam series I should throw on this list?

• Xabungle
  • Baldios (movie version)
  • Gear Fighter Dendoh (beware, HK subs)
  • Getter Robo Armageddon (already mentioned by astranagant)
  • Shin Mazinger
  • Ideon (series), also Ideon: Be Invoked (2nd movie)
  • Big O
  • VOTOMs
  • SDF Macross
  • 1 episode of Ginguiser
  • Zambot 3
  • Gurren Lagann
  • another Gaogaigar recommendation, also Gaogaigar FINAL
  • Godannar
  • Aura Battler Dunbine

whoops.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mercury Crusader posted:

Hey, I really care about the plot of Ginguiser. Please don't crap all over it's proud legacy of awesome magician teleporting and nonsensical combination sequences.

I broke down crying when the stock footage explosion from killing the enemy took longer than the combination sequence did.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
So, I stumbled upon this by accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqrmIQ5vVrc

For those of you who don't know, Mighty Orbots was a 1984 animated series that was made for America and cross-produced between American, Japanese, and Canadian animation/writer groups. Until today, I'd never seen any of the Japanese version, which is a totally logical thing to exist.

Like, they picked good voice actors but it's so trippy to watch. I love the original Mighty Orbots because it has some cute gimmicks, good animation, and an absolutely period-perfect Golden Age Japanese Super Robot OST. Watching it dubbed in Japanese ("Orbots, gattai!") only drills in the amazing soundtrack choices deeper along with how earnestly executed a lot of the other concepts in the show were (in the Carl Macek era, no less). Other than the fact that the show is obviously not being aired in its original language, none of it seems out of place.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

drrockso20 posted:

More than anything it's the fact that it's basically a well animated version of Godmars(at least in design) is simply amazing

WOW THAT'S BEEN BOTHERING ME FOR YEARS. I couldn't ever point out what it was, just that Orbots reminded me of someone.

It's funny that the Godmars comparison is made, because Mighty Orbots (the show) is the most anticlimactic and child-friendly poo poo ever (it's only 13 episodes and it's not serial, try to catch at least the first and last episodes on Youtube). Mighty Orbots (the robot) is both bizarrely lacking AND strangely well-made as a unit; it has no traditional attacks of any kind (it wins fights mainly through grappling, although it is capable of generating tools to aid its missions) but 7 loving pilots, all with well-established personalities and contributions including a Combattler-style Ignition Key robot. For a robot with no weapons, its power set is really well thought-out, too-- the powers of each Orbot are a single-flavor gimmick that, when combined with the others, allows Mighty Orbots to create anything Rob can conceive of out of thin air while making complete sense the whole time.

And yeah, it's strangely well-animated given everything else, like how THERE WAS NO TOY LINE.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah it's the complete antithesis of a modern super robot series(although it'd fit in well with the various pre-Mazinger Z shows like Tetsujin and Astroganger)

The more I remember and research, the more hosed up and bizarre the whole thing is.

So, here's how it goes:
In the mid-80's, Fred Silverman, one of the biggest TV producers ever, pitches an idea for a robot show made for American audiences. Osamu Dezaki, the guy who made Aim for the Ace! and Space Adventure Cobra along with a bunch of other extremely notable things (including being one of the goddamn Tetsuwan Atom directors) makes a 6-minute pitch video that gets gobbled up by MGM in the USA and TV Shinsha overseas. He then gets his lead character designer friend (whose last robot show was Gaiking, the original) and the guy who animated Baxinger, Grendizer, Danguard Ace, and a bunch of other poo poo, and makes this made-for-USA-but-clearly-Japanese robot show.

The show gets 13 episodes, a single season, before it's canned. Why? Tonka sued them (in what in retrospect seems like the most frivolous claim ever) because they thought they were ripping off Hanna-Barbera's Gobots. Keep in mind, pretty much the entire Tonka Gobots toy line was recolored Machine Robo toys. The punchline to all of this was that Mighty Orbots, the titular robot, is Godmars but with different colors and no faceplate, and Godmars wasn't part of the Gobots line, AND the whole show is derivative as gently caress to the point where it almost looks intentional. It's full of characters and references to Hitchhiker's Guide, Star Wars, and Star Trek in multiple places (the first episode I saw and still own on VHS is entirely about the Dremlocks, who are Ewoks but telepathic, it's that blatant).

So we have a 1980's Japanese-made Super Robot show for USA audiences that ends up being more 1970's Japanese Super Robot than actual 1970's shows imported and altered for USA audiences. The animation is nearly the best of the decade except there's a blatant coloring or model error roughly once every 3 minutes (I mean it, it's DYRL-quality until somebody's jacket isn't colored for a frame). It has no named attacks despite having a legitimate plot excuse to create any weapon imaginable. The main robot rips off another series' robot but the parent company got sued by a completely unrelated company who didn't even own any of the robots they were suing over. The show was made by the guy who did Aim for the Ace! a whole 5 years before Gunbuster parodied it. The staff behind this were all top-rated industry kings during the heights of their careers who just left it off their resumes. Finally, all of this is about a 1984 super robot show that never even got a toy line*.

Mighty Orbots is fractals of self-contradiction existing in a freakish state of limbo. It's basically the Polybius of the mecha genre-- something so weird and unbelievable that it must be relegated to urban legend, albeit one with a cult fanbase. It never fully came out on VHS and will never come out on any other medium. It's on Youtube. Here's the episode order. Go watch it.

*But not for lack of effort-- the 1985 Mattel Toy Fair had a prototype of the toys shown off but never made production due to the lawsuit, as far as I'm aware. At least one source claims the toys were the target of the suit?

Edit: It would make sense that that Tonka licensing Bandai's Machine Robo line would give them grounds to sue pre-emptively because Godmars was also part of Bandai's toy line, but we're basically 2 or 3 steps removed from the equation at this point.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 4, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I just shotgunned all of Orguss over the last 3 or 4 days. God drat did that final episode turn depressing really fast.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

wielder posted:

The conclusion of Orguss is quite depressing, but I believe the epilogue is meant to compensate for that.

Depending on how you interpret things, of course, and I did take a while to fully come to terms with it.

I mean, the epilogue is pretty upbeat, but it comes at the cost of the Kei + Olson/Orson pair who actually went into the Major Singularity (and experienced the events of the series) having to die in the process without actually getting to say goodbye.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
LITERALLY GODANNAR 3 I'M SO EXCITED

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, Fukuda isn't awful in general, just awful at real robots or when the wife is involved.

I have a more universal hatred of Seiji Mizushima than I do of Fukuda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tenzarin posted:

I haven't watched any kind of mecha series since the end of 00 Gundam, recommend me something with robot fighting.

Gear Fighter Dendoh.

• Locked thread