Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mercury Crusader posted:

So who else is excited about getting Chirico to kick the poo poo out of Knightmare Frames? I know I am!

I'm expecting a video of Chirico one shot killing Emperor Zuul to show up on Nico Nico Douga the day after the release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yinlock posted:

I'm so conflicted about whether to watch SKL. On one hand, it's basically taking a giant dump on the whole series.

I don't see how. SKL is it's own continuity.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shazaminator posted:

Why they'd want to do that instead of the Shin Mazinger sequel is beyond me though :iiam:

Even a high quality OAV will be cheaper to make than a full season, and the return on the investment is probably higher as well.

It may be (hoping against hope) that the funds SKL brings in will be put toward a new Shin Mazinger.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mango Polo posted:

Finally got around to watching the Zeorymer OVA after being impressed by the unit in SRW J. I made this to sum up how every episode goes:

:shobon:

Zeorymer is about an evil scientist who comes back from the grave to blow poo poo up and act smug. I loved it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dre2Dee2 posted:

the first frame is like Boba Fett the mech :aaaaa:

That's actually an enemy pilot wearing a mask, not a mech.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zogundar posted:

Wait you mean a second season wasn't a given? You mean it's NOT EVEN BEING WORKED ON RIGHT NOW!? :gonk:

There is no doubt in my mind that we will see a season 2 of Shin Mazinger.
I believe in Kouji Kabuto.

That said, I'm not as certain that we'll see a season 2 soon. In ten months or in ten years, however long it takes Dynamic Pro gets comfortably in the black.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shaezerus posted:

I remember somebody coming up with a list of 'pertinent' Mazinger Z episodes that cuts out all the filler bullshit and dealt primarily with major plot points and upgrades/new attacks.

I have that list!

this list posted:

Episode 1-3
Episode 5-6
Episodes 18-19
Episode 22
Episodes 24-25.
- Episode 29 (Introduces "Mazin Power")
Episodes 32-35
Episode 37
- Episode 38 (Minerva X)
Episode 39-40
Episode 43
Episode 48 (Boss Borot debuts)
- Episode 54 (Reinforced Rocket Punch - but it's only used once)
Episode 56-60
- Episode 61 (Lorelei)
Episode 64
- Episode 67 (A strange girl and a bunch of religious references...)
Episodes 68-72
Episodes 74-76
Episodes 78-80
Episode 83
Episodes 86-88
- Episode 90 (Kouji's mother)
Episodes 91-92

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shaezerus posted:

CRABSTICK

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pureauthor posted:

Is Gaiking LoDM even a good show?

It's one of the most enjoyable mecha shows I've watched.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I thought the show was fantastic.
I had no idea it was so poorly thought of.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If your the kind of person who reads internet threads about super robots then this is required watching:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=933NNS5A

The first episode of Chogattai Majutsu Ginguiser has been subbed!
The translation is kind of mediocre but it doesn't matter because it's GINGUISER and everyone needs to watch this poo poo right now.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mercury Crusader posted:

EDIT: itt talk about how you successfully got a friend or family member hooked on mecha shows

I've been trying to get my sister into mecha for a while, since she does have a large manga collection that is largely full of drivel.

Early attempts with Voltes V proved rather unsuccessful, but a later attempt with Giant Robo went well.

The sound she made during Alberto's big reveal in the last episode was something between a school girl giggle and the way Hayato laughs when he's elbow deep in a dinosaurs stomach.

There's hope for her.

In other news, X Nebula, who recently subbed all of Dougram, has just released the first 12 episodes of Galient. It's not quite a super robot, but I thought people would be interested despite that.

http://xnebula.blogspot.com/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I didn't realize they sold toys on Crunchyroll.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Article posted:

He mentioned the new Ideon plans when discussing how modern audiences would react to the starkly depicted death scenes in Ideon.

I don't think this would necessarily be like Tomino's other post-depression work.
It's just that instead of killing everyone in with a frown, he'll be killing everyone with a smile.

I really, really want this to see this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Regardless of how good/bad the show is, hopefully we'll at least see a few good toys. It'd be great to by a combining robot without having to pay import fees.

Edit: this particular trailer seems slightly more favorable than the others:
http://www.nicktoons.com/videos/clip/voltron-force-series-trailer.html

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 5, 2011

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Episode one of Groizer X has been subbed. Unfortunately, I've been told the translation is somewhat questionable.

http://www.arr-soarin.blogspot.com/2011/05/gloizer-x.html

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is fantastic news to wake up to.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guyver posted:

From Charahobby I guess. Gothicmade is coming out in spring 2012.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm glad to hear it hasn't fallen off the face of the Earth.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Super Robot Chogokin Big Volfogg looks pretty drat bad rear end, but ultimately his is a power and a force that I've seen before.

Not so much with this machine:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm going to bring up a post from another thread because I think it's relevant.

Guyver from the OP in the winter anime thread posted:

01/08 Aquarion Evol
[...] This one will probably be meh since it lacks Gen Fudo and that soccer playing kid.

This is only half true. The new Aquarion show takes place 12,000 years after the last, but Gen Fudo is still a character. He has a beard now.
To compete with the previous Aquarion punching the moon, this show features body-checking the moon. Not bad for a first episode second episode.

The other super robot show, Lagrange, was also surprisingly good, or at least the first episode was. I wasn't sure about the mecha designs at first, but they look good in action, and the fan service wasn't overbearingly awful. It reminded me of "Mayoi Neko Overrun" episode 7, but with less Yuusha and more WWF.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 11, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The first chapter of western super robot comic Robot God Akamatsu has just been released online. I don't know a whole lot about this, but the art looks gorgeous. It seems to have an Aztec motif.

RGA' website posted:

Robot God AKAMATSU is a valentine to the Super Robot genre of the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. Giant robots and monsters attack Boston, and Robot God Akamatsu (RGA, for short) is the city’s only form of defense!

RGA is also about the relationship between a father and his estranged son, about the abuse of power and how far some are willing to go to see their goals met. It’s a little bit Ultraman, a little bit Voltron, a little bit Force Five, and a mighty dollop of Shogun Warriors.

Check it out here: http://robotgodakamatsu.blogspot.com/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Son Ryo posted:

I know that Kouji has a pretty big role in the show... does anyone know how dependent it is on you having watched Mazinger/Great Mazinger?

There is absolutely no dependence.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gravion is an excellently designed robot. It looks gorgeous, it's combination is smooth, it has plenty of gadgets, and it's aesthetic is evocative of it's many predecessors. It also has a bitchin' theme song.

None of that really matters, It doesn't matter how fantastic as the robot is if the actual show is awful. The plot is dead on arrival. The characters are all bland archetypes. Sandman is the only memorable character, but that's mostly because of his voice actor.

And, most heinous of all it's sins, the fight scenes are boring.

But god drat if it isn't a gorgeous machine.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr Pepper posted:

And the maid piloted rocket punch.

Which was a reference to Dangaioh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kingtheninja posted:

Even if you don't feel like it!

"Mom, can this wait for later? I'm kinda in the middle of a battle right now."
"Don't be like that, Mom. I'll come and visit in a couple episodes, so just be patient, OK?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guyver posted:

It's going to be insanely tempting to watch these now like it was tempting to watch the five episodes animeclassics subbed.

I downloaded the animeclassic subs way back, but I only ever watched four because I didn't want to run out of episodes to watch.

If the rest of Gorg was as good as the first episodes, then I highly recommend this show!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nasgate posted:

drat I forgot all of the phalic humor in the begining, I'm not sure a 3 episode test would really give you the right image.

It's not like there's any less phalic humor in the rest of the show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nasgate posted:

Well I was talking about the primary focus, It started out as drills and tits, then went to tits and drills.

The only cosplay someone should do from TTGL is naked Simon so you can have a big rear end drill covering your crotch.

This would majorly piss off anyone who went as the guy from Dead Leaves.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Can...can we someday get some kinda stop-motion SRW'ish show featuring the like of these sorts?
Instead of stop-motion I was thinking it could be done in Gerry Anderson style supermechanation. You could even get Brian May to do the theme song.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Is there a checklist someplace of all that is, and has yet to have, representation on the insane Chogokin figure side of things and such? That Big O one looks pretty boss as per usual.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want a list of all the Soul of Chogokin figures, or a review site, or what?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I am away from home and thus am posting from a laptop that lacks a soundcard. Could someone with sound confirm if the music to this video is either a.) awesome, and/or b.) righteous? Thank you in advance.

Guyver posted:

You could cut the first 26 episodes into a two hour movie easy and if it looked anything like that it would be great.

Sure, a single two hour movie movie would be great, but a set of seven half-hour OAVs would be kaiser even better!
If we're going to make a wish, then let's wish for the stars. :unsmith:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KoB posted:

Does anyone have a link to that spinoff manga that has Combattler VI? (maybe it was Voltes VI)

I have it. What's the best file sharing website these days?
Oh, and it's Combattler VI, and Voltes VII. I think Daimos shows up, too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dis astranagant posted:

Mediafire's still about as good as it gets, even if they did add an intermittent captcha.

Are there any I don't have to sign up for?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Monaghan posted:

I always enjoyed new getter robo more then armageddon to be honest.

I stand by my opinion that Dragon is a better OP than Heats.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Nobody talks about how great Shin Mazinger is. Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Great-hen is never coming out is it? :negative:

Shin Mazinger was far from perfect, but it really hit it's stride during/after the Schtroheim arc. Looking at the concept art for the Great Mazinger is heartbreaking.

...still, there is a small amount of satisfaction in knowing that, after all these years, Baron Ashura finally achieved victory.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mercury Crusader posted:

Having the entire first episode "in medias res" was awesome and I will not hear otherwise.

You could say that the first episode is art. :wotwot:

The first episode is certainly art, but that doesn't mean it is good.
It would have made a fantastic trailer, but Shin Mazinger should have started on the second episode.

Besides, it wrecks the reveal of the big bang punch.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't think the world of animation is ready for something so sick-nasty.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mikeycp posted:

Can we get a 1 meter tall Great-Hen figure? Though it would make the pain even worse...

I think I could forgive the lack of a Great-Hen series if there were a meter tall Great Mazinger to console me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Broken Loose posted:

I'm 15 episodes into Shin Mazinger.

Isn't episode 15 the finale of the Dr. Schtroheim arc? That's my favorite moment of the series. Mad scientists do not make good family men.

The plot really starts to pick up steam, here. Please keep us informed of your reactions!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Miracon posted:

But will people keep making jokes about crabsticks?

Just because there will be a new, hopefully more intelligible translation, doesn't mean the old one is going away. The HK translations will live on in our memories and backup hard drives.

The Discotek facebook page also says that they are hoping to release all of the the original Harlock, Casshern, Polymer, Samurai Pizza Cats (!), and Mad Bull 34 along with a host of others.

While I applaud the selection, I wonder how well the translation's will be if they plan to release all of this is a short time frame.

Is anyone familiar with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, they'd better release Samurai Pizza Cats with the original dub or it's worthless. Mad Bull 34 is generally regarded as one of the worst anime shows of all time. Neither have anything to do with giant robots though, so, uh.

The SPCs do have a giant robot, and Mad Bull 34 gets in through the Go Nagai clause. :colbert:

• Locked thread