Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Octo1 posted:

I like SKL and I think it's silly that any of you are complaining about the plot when they've barely had time to tell us anything yet.

And Violence Jack at first was nothing more than a big guy who kills bad guys, all the plot stuff was added later on.

The show is three episodes. We are one-third of the way done with it. They've had plenty of time to give us any reason at all to care about this poo poo, and don't really have that much time left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
For the most part, studios in Japan pay to have their poo poo aired on television, and most of the anime that people actually watch/like around here air super late at night because they couldn't afford real timeslots. Ad revenue definitely exists, but it's not likely to cover the broadcast fees on top of the production costs, particularly when sane people are asleep (not that sane people in Japan actually watch anime mind you).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
There is literally no chance of this being finished, but hey, may as well grab what you can while you can.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Pureauthor posted:

No Combination Attack? That is a travesty of the highest order!

It's in the OP, it will happen.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
What the poo poo? When was this even licensed? There's a group on /m/ currently pulling a Gomen Rider with the DVD source and then this happens.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Toei produced the series, so this is another of those direct release things like HnK/GE999/Harlock. They apparently either cropped it to 4:3 or lol are horizontally squishing it though, since it's definitely a widescreen show.

Now, why Toei would bother with this is another question entirely.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Infinitum posted:

Rejoice.

I swear to god I responded to this.

Media Blasters has no plans to bring the BD over, just the DVD. :waycool:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
You mean when they replace the somewhat interesting but now villains with awful, awful caricatures of them and it relies on the worst attempt at comedy that Japan has ever committed to celluloid? Yeah.

Anyway, I get that when you say Voltron everybody immediately thinks of the Golion guys, but I just finished Golion last night and started Dairugger XV today and I have to say, Dairugger is a better show. The animation is certainly more even and less derpy, and even when Dairugger Sword is a win button, it does more than fall from the sky and bisect the enemy with the outstretched sword and then call it a day. The greatest crime a robot show can commit, after all, is boring rear end robot action, and an awful lot of Golion episodes had fights that were clearly only inserted because it's a toy commercial so we have to have the robot do something.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
What? No, I'm sure that stuff he saw and was explicitly spelled out by the narrator was just Atami's ketchup factory being smashed up a bit. Isn't that what the subs said?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Oh. Did nobody ever link the HAnoKI releases in here? They got up to 15 at some point. The torrent is quite dead at the moment though.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNO2CuX15hw

I'm sure many of you have seen this in one of the other places I posted, but just in case, here you go.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dre2Dee2 posted:

"LET'S VOLTRON!"

I don't even know what that means

It means the people writing this have watched Golion, where before forming they always cried "LET'S GOLION!"

Unfortunately they didn't learn the biggest lesson from the uncut version, in that it's okay to shut the gently caress up for more than two seconds (the whole thing with Keith calling off what is being formed when is inserted into silence in both Voltrons). I get that this poo poo is now tradition, but it's irritating.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Also we'd now have Titan on the list. I have to say though, it feels mighty disingenuous to have a Shoji Kawamori designed robot in an American robot thing.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Zwei is basically the second half of the show, not really a sequel. Also no, not really. I mean there are worse shows, and I've even watched some worse shows, but I definitely don't feel better for having seen it, and would not feel worse if I hadn't.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
ADV still has Mazinkaiser. They haven't been shown to have Armageddon in any meaningful sense, but technically it's probably more that it's a waste of money to reprint it than that they lost the license. Nobody picked up New Getter Robo from Geneon's steaming corpse though.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought it was neat they included the original formation lines, at least. And the "head" thing was cute. v:shobon:v

You mean that poo poo the dub team threw in because they refuse to allow there to be 30 seconds with no speech? Yeah, gently caress it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Captain Invictus posted:

Goofy filler lines by the dub crew are absolutely unacceptable. ugh. UGH. A throwback to those goofy lines 25 years later in a new version of the show? How. Dare. They.

Seriously though, is it really that horrible to include a reference to the original Voltron in it? Not Golion, Voltron. I didn't even know about Golion until this thread.

There are all manner of ways to reference Voltron (and they are) without bringing back the thing that was added by the dub crew because the adaptation staff thought you were an idiot and would get bored if people stopped talking long enough for the combining to happen. This isn't goofy filler, it's a straight up insult that should have died in the 80s.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
A combining robot show where the component bots are actually competent on their own? Heresy, give me some more Golion where any fight that doesn't begin with combining is essentially just wasting your time.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Abalieno posted:

Is there a decent version of the 7 Mazinkaiser OVAs?

I found a very good DVD RAW but it's russian and only with russian subtitles, while the version on BakaBT is crappy .avi (so no softsub to carry over).

Yup.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Zorak posted:

Wait, for Gothicmade? I thought Nagano was hand animating the entire thing. Or did he bring in some more people so he'd actually finish it?

There's no way that was ever true. See also Redline.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Schwarzwald posted:

Super Robot Chogokin Big Volfogg looks pretty drat bad rear end, but ultimately his is a power and a force that I've seen before.

Not so much with this machine:

That's no machine, that's a God.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Shin Getter comes before Go, though it was printed after. Mazinkaiser and Grendizer aren't directly related, and don't really fit together.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Grendizer was always a Mazinger sequel; Kouji is a major character even in the TV series that gimps him to TFO duty, and Testuya/Great join them in the manga. Mazinkaiser was made up for SRW much later, initially by exposing Mazinger Z to Getter Rays, though they've played with it since then.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
In older news, White Base has bequeathed unto us, a non-terrible release of the Mazinkaiser movie that was never licensed for whatever reason. Though then again, ADV kind of shat up the OVA, so maybe this is for the best.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It's sort of the exact opposite of that. Mazinger Z gets its rear end handed to it in that movie, but in this one Mazinkaiser is so utterly overpowered that they had to write it out of the first two acts, so it can show up and utterly wreck everybody's poo poo immediately, ending what would have been the Great Mazinger series in the first conflict.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Oh... these subs are actually kind of terrible, and the video isn't that good looking either. At least it's not TV-Nihon I guess.

Edit: Holy poo poo, these are super bad. The only positive thing is that they're softsubs, and don't have tedious effects all over the place.

Edit 2: Okay, this is some HK level bullshit. I'm sorry I linked it.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 11, 2012

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
I don't know why there's even debate. The full title of the show even calls it the Z Chapter, which pretty much implies that there are more (that will never be made because nobody watched/bought the drat show).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
The reason the rights aren't available is that the Yokoyama estate wants it that way. You straight trippin' if you think trying to get the original source material version is going to be easier than the Super Yokoyama Wars version from TDTESS. Willing to bet the 80s Tetsujin and Godmars rights are both entirely held by TMS as significant derivatives that licensed the original bits (and hired Yokoyama to write in the case of Godmars).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

dbzfandiego posted:

Is this a sequel to something?

Clearly? It's the last section of the Getter Robo Saga written by Ken Ishikawa.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

dbzfandiego posted:

Sorry I'm not caught up in my getter robo yet.

Edit: What I mean is will I have to read anything prior to enjoy this one?

Srice posted:

No idea where this new thing takes place in continuity but IIRC the order for the previous stuff is Getter Robo -> Getter Robo G -> Getter Robo Go -> Shin Getter Robo (Takes place before Go but was made after it).

What part of "the last" seems to have gone by you two? DynaPro has translated the whole drat thing so far, just read it in the Getter Robo Saga order.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Non-HK/Hacked up subs for all of UFO Robo Grendizer are now available. If you don't have an account on bakabt with good ratio you can't get it just yet (of course neither can anybody else since the poster isn't seeding the loving thing) but it's finally been approved at least.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Mercury Crusader posted:

Wait, who did these subs? Did somebody work on this till completion and then released the whole thing at once?

Some rear end in a top hat did it and started selling DVD-Rs. This release is somebody stealing these illegal (and far from perfect, but better than HK) subs and slapping them onto video. It's probably not the world's best release, but it's much more watchable than anything that's come before (if you only speak English).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

tsob posted:

Also, there's some really nice mech designs and decent fights if you're in to that, which if you're in this thread there's a decent chance you are.

Where? Are you sure you didn't watch some other show that had an animation budget?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

TK-31 posted:

Season 2 was better, if only because it didn't even try to pace itself and amped up the fanservice (no, not that kind)

What do you mean not that kind?

I'm really starting to think some of you are talking about a completely different show.

That's the goddamn cover art. You have to squint to even see the drat robot at all.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

BitterCharisma posted:

I've been playing some SRW games as of late and one of my favorite robots is the Dancougar, simply because it deals a lot of damage most of the time. However I am curious about the show itself. Is Dancougar and by extension Dancougar Nova good or do they lose steam in this day and age?

Dancouga Nova (no R in either) is typically referred to as Gravion Drei. Given the last couple pages, I think that says all you need to know.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Giant Gorg 1-6 subs now exist, courtesy of the people who finished out the VOTOMs oeuvre, and something else I'm forgetting now.

Of course this poo poo was licensed ages ago, and the only reason we're waiting on these fansubs is Japan hosed up during that process. Thanks Japan.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wait... they did all of Daitarn 3 too? :aaaaa:

No. While it's all done, that was different people.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

You know, when you think about it, Dai-Guard probably works as a better deconstruction of giant robot shows than Eva

Given that neither Evangelion nor Dai-Guard are deconstructions of anything, this is a meaningless statement.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Shaezerus posted:

And yet, everyone outside this thread I talk Dunbine with calls it a Real Robot show. People are weird.

Speaking of which, is Dunbine really worth hunting down and watching, on its own merits, anyway? I've never really been able to work up much hype for fantasy-medieval-but-with-motherfuckin'-robots shows.

No, but primarily because you will pay more for each of the last three volumes than for the first nine combined, and it's just not worth that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
And now for more absurd news.

Not so sure how I feel about this one though. I have a feeling what they're talking about is basically the episodes used for Force Five and none of the ones that didn't make it there, but who knows.

• Locked thread