Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

But why would Intel require this amount of access?:

quote:

The Intel Management Engine with its proprietary firmware has complete access to and control over the PC: it can power on or shut down the PC, read all open files, examine all running applications, track all keys pressed and mouse movements, and even capture or display images on the screen. And it has a network interface that is demonstrably insecure, which can allow an attacker on the network to inject rootkits that completely compromise the PC and can report to the attacker all activities performed on the PC. It is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy that can't be ignored.

Source: https://libreboot.org/faq/#intel

EDIT: I think I've got microcode and the CPU Management Engine mixed up here, but I guess it's still a relevant answer to just supposing that it's fine and could never be used for spying or nefarious purposes, so I'll leave the quote as valid.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Funny thing is, you probably need to get State Department approval to release poo poo like that, because it technically counts as a munition and is subject to ITAR and technology transfer agreements.

What? Do you have a source for this? If it is true, I'd be shocked. I would have guessed that much of the Intel microcode or whatever was developed by non-US citizens or permanent residents.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Boiled Water posted:

Is there anything to the management engine being dodgy? I mean not that I can get out of using Core2Duo or older Intel processors.

silence_kit posted:

Yes, there is Hitler in your CPU.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

apropos man posted:

But why would AMD require this amount of access?
https://libreboot.org/faq/#amd

:tinfoil:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
My favorite quote from that site:

quote:

For so-called economic reasons, they decided that it was not worth the time to invest in the coreboot project anymore.

Yes the economics of the project do change radically depending on whether you assign value to the engineers' labor or not, lol

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

ElehemEare posted:

But why would AMD require this amount of access?
https://libreboot.org/faq/#amd

:tinfoil:

Correct, as per my original question:

apropos man posted:

Do AMD have the equivalent of Intel's microcode running on their CPU's?

With microcode being proprietary I'd expect that if AMD 'open sourced' their CPU code it'd add to the reasons for people to switch.

Would a CPU with open microcode be desirable if we had a situation where Ryzen turned out to be a winner and also had transparency? I think the answer is "yes" and will stop derailing the thread.

EDIT: changed clunky last sentence

apropos man fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 21, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

apropos man posted:

EDIT: I think I've got microcode and the CPU Management Engine mixed up here, but I guess it's still a relevant answer to just supposing that it's fine and could never be used for spying or nefarious purposes, so I'll leave the quote as valid.

I simply do not believe him. This strikes me as "your car has a steering wheel and a gas pedal... did you know a nefarious person could DRIVE IT STRAIGHT INTO A SCHOOL? NEVER BUY FORD"

Is it possible it does exactly what he says? Sure. I still don't believe thats why its there. It just doesn't seem to be their game. This is in contrast to say Google releasing a CPU with those capabilities. And this is just an opinion of course, for all I know Intel is just a government puppet, and certainly having backdoor access to every computer and server in the world would be mighty appealing.

There are lots of privacy things to worry about but this is about as low on the list as it gets for me. I'm pretty sure the GPU EULA you pressed accept on is far more damaging to privacy than Intel management engine.

silence_kit posted:

What? Do you have a source for this? If it is true, I'd be shocked. I would have guessed that much of the Intel microcode or whatever was developed by non-US citizens or permanent residents.

This used to be true, I dont see why it wouldnt be still I suppose. There are a lot of things on this list. :siren: my uncle :siren: used to head this in the State Department, though it was typically for more overt things like literal missiles and things like night vision tubes. CPU's are somewhat of a last bastion of high end "American Technology" and has all sorts of military applications and was in the past the tech behind it was under strict export control.

The world is a bit different today though. Chinese designs are up and coming iirc and CPU stuff is no longer some holy grail. But, we do still lead currently and im guessing its still of military value. Though this is just software, China hacked away and made off with the software for their latest stealth jet, despite being able to design and manufacture a legitimate high end stealth fighter jet they still had to look elsewhere for the code to actually run the thing.

If it did fall under export control this is the link for that

https://www.state.gov/strategictrade/overview/

Which does say software, and CPU code would have fallen under dual-use catch all rules. I kind of doubt you'd be able to find a public list of export restrictions and rules though

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 21, 2017

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

1gnoirents posted:

I simply do not believe him. This strikes me as "your car has a steering wheel and a gas pedal... did you know a nefarious person could DRIVE IT STRAIGHT INTO A SCHOOL? NEVER BUY FORD"

Is it possible it does exactly what he says? Sure. I still don't believe thats why its there. It just doesn't seem to be their game. This is in contrast to say Google releasing a CPU with those capabilities. And this is just an opinion of course, for all I know Intel is just a government puppet, and certainly having backdoor access to every computer and server in the world would be mighty appealing.

There are lots of privacy things to worry about but this is about as low on the list as it gets for me. I'm pretty sure the GPU EULA you pressed accept on is far more damaging to privacy than Intel management engine.

I'm not worried about my privacy and I currently have two recent Intel CPU's running here (this laptop included). I would definitely desire a CPU with full transparency, though. Not that we're ever likely to see that happen.

A car needs a steering system and a means of applying power from the engine.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

apropos man posted:

A lot of IT needed out-of-band management features also lines up with a government is spying on you checklist

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

apropos man posted:

I'm not worried about my privacy and I currently have two recent Intel CPU's running here (this laptop included). I would definitely desire a CPU with full transparency, though. Not that we're ever likely to see that happen.

Yeah that was my lame point about the steering.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

apropos man posted:

I have the same problem but with manual computing where I can't know the mechanisms of the brain responsible for calculations.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah that was my lame point about the steering.

Well I was insinuating that, although a car needs steering and power delivery, does a CPU need closed-source firmware?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

apropos man posted:

"Intel" doesn't have this access. You, the computer owner or company sysadmin have this access. On older systems you needed DRAC or other similar remote management add-ons from various vendors to get this functionality, on newer systems it's simply built into the CPU.

apropos man posted:

Well I was insinuating that, although a car needs steering and power delivery, does a CPU need closed-source firmware?

Yes? They literally need firmware to work just like most other components in your computer. And no one's funded an open source replacement project, so it's gonna be closed source.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 21, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Snakes in a can posted:

Hows AMD chips and more specifically ryzen virtualisation solution against intels? Ive been loosely following ryzen development but have not seen much talk about it.

AFAIK, there hasn't been any information on that. It's a question I hope to be able to answer very soon, between Zen's release and Fedora's updated roadmap looking to make hardware passthrough on virtual machines basically point-and-click.

Boiled Water posted:

I have the same problem but with manual computing where I can't know the mechanisms of the brain responsible for calculations.

Politics in a nutshell.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The really weird thing with ME is, as it was described at a talk at either Defcon or C3, it's basically a completely self-contained microcontroller that has direct access to the hardware the CPU runs on. Great for management, but also great for :tinfoil: And if you try to cripple it, apparently the CPU will shutdown/freeze/stop functioning after 20 minutes or so.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Platystemon posted:

Is open source microcode something that even Richard M. Stallman :rms2: would care about?

I think he would care. He must have open access to everything, from his CPU microcode to the nutritional content of growths on his foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SpelledBackwards posted:

I think he would care. He must have open access to everything, from his CPU microcode to the nutritional content of growths on his foot.

Ugh.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

fishmech posted:

"Intel" doesn't have this access. You, the computer owner or company sysadmin have this access. On older systems you needed DRAC or other similar remote management add-ons from various vendors to get this functionality, on newer systems it's simply built into the CPU.

Yes? They literally need firmware to work just like most other components in your computer. And no one's funded an open source replacement project, so it's gonna be closed source.

How do you know for sure? I would be interested to see the result of fitting some kind of breakout board onto a network cable to see if there's any traffic from the motherboard's NIC which could be attributed to the ME. It might, or even most probably, produce no extra traffic but it'd be good to know.

Fair point that the system is a necessity, despite of how it's implemented.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

apropos man posted:

How do you know for sure? I would be interested to see the result of fitting some kind of breakout board onto a network cable to see if there's any traffic from the motherboard's NIC which could be attributed to the ME. It might, or even most probably, produce no extra traffic but it'd be good to know.

Fair point that the system is a necessity, despite of how it's implemented.

What do you mean, "how do you know?" It's literally what it is. It's intended for use on a local/corporate network, just like the older Dell DRAC, HP iLO, IBM RSA or American Megatrends MegaRAC, although an incompetent network setup could expose it to the wider internet just as any sort of controls can accidentally be exposed to the internet (for instance, say you had remote desktop serving set up for your corporate intranet, but some networking was hosed up and now all those are exposed to the internet where someone can attempt to use it). But when we're considering that scenario, anyone could try to get in. There's no indication that Intel themselves would have special access that no one else does.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

fishmech posted:

What do you mean, "how do you know?" It's literally what it is. It's intended for use on a local/corporate network, just like the older Dell DRAC, HP iLO, IBM RSA or American Megatrends MegaRAC, although an incompetent network setup could expose it to the wider internet just as any sort of controls can accidentally be exposed to the internet (for instance, say you had remote desktop serving set up for your corporate intranet, but some networking was hosed up and now all those are exposed to the internet where someone can attempt to use it). But when we're considering that scenario, anyone could try to get in. There's no indication that Intel themselves would have special access that no one else does.

I mean, completely theoretically, it could be looking at all incoming network traffic and be picking up specific bits in TCP data that is ostensibly going to a service running on the main CPU. Or client, for that matter. Browse to a malicious website and data steno'd in a PNG triggers commands... You're inside the CPU, the NIC is well-known and you can have direct access to it's ring buffers. If Intel didn't do it, it'd still be a great place to stash a persistent infection.

It's extremely unlikely, and basically impossible on a consumer board that for some godawful reason doesn't use the intel LAN that comes with the chipset.

That's complete :tinfoil: and I don't remotely think it exists. But it's not completely impossible.

I just hope the new AMD chipset is good. I know my FX- era motherboard has absolutely poo poo USB ports that glitch and reset constantly.

Harik fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 23, 2017

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
We know the federal government has a longstanding policy of attempting to get that kind of hardware backdoor. We also know that historically they're spying on people way more than we assume they are at any given point. Incompetence is the only reason they probably don't have that kind of access.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'd be tickled pink of the government knows everything that Stallman is doing because they just have some dude next door listening with a cup against the wall

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

I'd be tickled pink of the government knows everything that Stallman is doing because they just have some dude next door listening with a cup against the wall
Or just reads what he posts on the internet, because he's the exact opposite of a private person including going into his personal habits in which nobody wanted to hear about

Not that it makes his general position on privacy invalid, it's possible to want privacy for others but choose to have none for yourself

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Or just reads what he posts on the internet, because he's the exact opposite of a private person including going into his personal habits in which nobody wanted to hear about

Not that it makes his general position on privacy invalid, it's possible to want privacy for others but choose to have none for yourself

He's the open source person we all should aspire to become.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

He's the open source person we all should aspire to become.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Come on, I just posted this like 10 posts earlier on this same page. And you didn't even make a pun to add to it, like changing the quoted post from open source to open sores.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

K8.0 posted:

We know the federal government has a longstanding policy of attempting to get that kind of hardware backdoor. We also know that historically they're spying on people way more than we assume they are at any given point. Incompetence is the only reason they probably don't have that kind of access.

Yeah let me amend my conclusion: It's extremely unlikely that Intel made and shipped a backdoor into all their chips. It's possible (perhaps likely) that the NSA strongarmed them into giving them a signing key so they can load code into the ME for targeting specific persons of interest.

Isn't the ME code a blob in the BIOS next to the microcode? So you'd have a detectable fingerprint by dumping your flash and comparing to what the MB manufacturer shipped. Even if the ME was somehow intercepting that and showing you the unmodified code you could always desolder your flash and read it out directly. Unless you're a drug kingpin or some sort of terrorist mastermind or an Iranian nuclear engineer you probably don't need to check that, though.

E: This also has nothing to do with AMD I guess. My bad.

Harik fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 23, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SpelledBackwards posted:

Come on, I just posted this like 10 posts earlier on this same page. And you didn't even make a pun to add to it, like changing the quoted post from open source to open sores.

Hah, that'll teach me for not scrolling up.

I favorite that video just to post it any time I see the name Stallman. It just doesn't get old.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I feel like I'm desensitized by this point on the internet but I seriously have a hard time stomaching that specific thing lol

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

putin genociding people for being underclassmen of the old ottoman empire = meh

some guy eating toe jam = :barf:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

putin genociding people for being underclassmen of the old ottoman empire = meh

some guy eating toe jam = :barf:

Lol yes, exactly. Protesters getting gunned down somewhere by the army = :o wow that sucks!

toe jam = unacceptable

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

Lol yes, exactly. Protesters getting gunned down somewhere by the army = :o wow that sucks!

toe jam = unacceptable

unironically this if you're part of the cult of GNU, except instead of toe jam it's proprietary software

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Isn't the ME feature also a BIOS switch away from being on/off as far as accessible from the NIC port is concerned? And to top it off, isn't most of the vPRO and other Management feature stuff exclusive to the non K models of Desktop CPU's as well as U series chips?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Isn't the ME feature also a BIOS switch away from being on/off as far as accessible from the NIC port is concerned?

But we have no way of knowing that turning it off turns it off! :tinfoil:

quote:

And to top it off, isn't most of the vPRO and other Management feature stuff exclusive to the non K models of Desktop CPU's as well as U series chips?

vPro is available on many models of Core CPU (it's not on the Pentium branded variations, the K series, and some others), but it's useless without firmware support. I don't know about the other letters, but the Q series firmware includes full vPro remote management bits.

One of my big regrets from my last sysadmin job was not making the time to do full desktop remote management. Every desktop in the company had full vPro functionality available and we did nothing at all with it.

AMD could do themselves a big favor if they rolled out similar functionality and was more open about the implementation to attract toe fungus eaters and :tinfoil: types.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

McGlockenshire posted:

vPro is available on many models of Core CPU (it's not on the Pentium branded variations, the K series, and some others), but it's useless without firmware support. I don't know about the other letters, but the Q series firmware includes full vPro remote management bits.

One of my big regrets from my last sysadmin job was not making the time to do full desktop remote management. Every desktop in the company had full vPro functionality available and we did nothing at all with it.

AMD could do themselves a big favor if they rolled out similar functionality and was more open about the implementation to attract toe fungus eaters and :tinfoil: types.
they kind of do with Zen, specifically it's a qualcomm ARM chip within the cpu handling the ME-like functionality, AMD didn't develop their own for obvious reasons

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

McGlockenshire posted:

I wanted to do this at my past 2 IT jobs because it was irritating as hell using whatever 3rd party tools the Owners of both were making us use, but of course could never get the time or OK to even explore the option, let alone implement it. After being ignored on my ideas to make everything easier and cheaper to use what we already had access too is part of the reason I want to get out of working in IT completely. Never paid enough to make it worth the stress and life sapping it continues to be.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they kind of do with Zen, specifically it's a qualcomm ARM chip within the cpu handling the ME-like functionality, AMD didn't develop their own for obvious reasons

CPUs all the way down

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Glorious 240nm Opterons!

That'd consume, what, 1000 watts? What's the next step beyond liquid nitrogen cooling? I have a feeling a 240nm Naples core would need that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RyuHimora posted:

That'd consume, what, 1000 watts? What's the next step beyond liquid nitrogen cooling? I have a feeling a 240nm Naples core would need that.

In-chip water cooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

In-chip water cooling.

That would be neat as hell. Should release a line of Xxxxtreme overclocking IHS waterblocks. They xould charge whatever they wanted too

• Locked thread