Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

freeforumuser posted:

Not going to happen since AMD completely ditched 3rd party chipsets 3 years ago. Quality has only shot up tremendously compared to the days of quirky nForce 3/4 (but at least that was still much better than Nvidia disastrous 680/780/790i chipsets)

The Via chipsets were even worse off for AMD. Hell, when I bought my Althon 64 3400+ to replace a brunt out Pentium 4, I had to choose from the Via Chipset whose drivers degraded system performance upon each new release or the nforce chipset that flat out refused to boot many AGP video cards at the time, including the BFG 6800 GT I had at the time. I was happy to get my e8400 and intel-based chipset motherboard after that cluster-gently caress VIA/AMD combo.

Now I know AMD is using a first party chip set makes me really want to go with them again if the benchmarks and pricing is good. Even if the performance is a few notches below the i5 2500, having SLI motherboards and the potential price advantage might make me go to AMD.

Unless they gently caress up like Intel did with the P67 or the vendors make piss-poor boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

roadhead posted:

The eternal optimist in me wants to say they automated bulldozer while the hand-tuned transistor work was(is) being done for Piledriver.

Perhaps these chips are more or less the same at the block-level and all the improvement in PD will be from tweaking the circuits down to as few gates as possible and other tuning.

Otherwise I just don't know anymore - this is obviously not the product we needed to come out of AMD to actually keep Intel on their toes. Did they even have to price drop the 2600k in response?

I don't think Intel cares at this point. They are the performance leader in the CPU market and AMD is bleeding money trying to move from being a low-cost leader and have fallen on their face at the moment. The only thing they would drop pricing on is the 2500k since it's their main profit driver at this point and would REALLY undercut the small market share AMD has in the first place.

I like AMD as the low-cost cpu alternative and it helped me out personally since my old intel system just died over the summer and I was able to replace the Motherboard, CPU and RAM cheaper than getting a new out of production lga775 motherboard with a a little performance boost and room to upgrade in the future. I really wished they didn't hype it as a SB Killer and just do what they do best in not being as powerful but cheaper and just as good.

• Locked thread