Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I run some FX-6300 (I think?) Six core thing in my home desktop.

Winters get cold here in New England, so I can save on the heat by just running a bunch of VMs in the background. In the summer though, between the dust and the stock cooler, the thing has a tendency to hard-crash.

Basically, pretty good if you want a space heater that can also do video encoding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

volkadav posted:

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but does anyone have experience running VMs on something like an Athlon 5370 or A6-5200?

You should be fine. Provided you aren't trying to mine bitcoin on them or do video editing.

roadhead posted:

I've been long on AMD so long I got my shares for $2.49

Yea :(

I got in late, at 3.59 :( Come on baby, let's go to 15.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp, I guess I'll be upgrading my tired RX-6300 workstation to an R5 or lower end R7 sometime this fall.

+- ten frames difference in games doesn't really matter to me, but video encoding and compilers taking advantage of all of the cores is extremely my poo poo.

• Locked thread