Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Honestly I just want less hype and more real performance numbers. This Gulftown machine is showing its age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PerrineClostermann posted:

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331317&page_number=2

Apparently Zen cores are smaller than the competing Intel cores (I presume broadwell?)

It's not entirely clear if that's comparing the entire die including the iGPU. That said the more compact cache footprint suggests it might be excluding the GPU.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 8, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Comatoast posted:

For a while AMD was really pumping their on-chip graphics solutions called APU. They were a solid bump up from Intels offerings, even on the lowest performance processors. Are the ryzen chips going to have solid graphics performance in the APU fashion? If I can get close to 1050 or 1050ti performance without having to power a graphics card then this will be a game changer.

From what I can tell the initial release will not have an iGPU (Summit Ridge). I am currently assuming that Raven Ridge (APU with Zen microarchitecture) should still retain a general advantage in iGPU performance, but it may not release in 1H.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RyuHimora posted:

For those of you wondering about benchmarks, don't forget this video of a Ryzen Engineering Sample beating a non-limited 6900K in handbrake encoding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsVNQYwlSAo

Isn't video encoding basically embarrassingly parallel or am I getting confused with rendering?
Was confused with rendering

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TomR posted:

I know ya'll love some Linus up in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rUndzpdo1I

Already posted here like an hour ago.

Gwaihir posted:

I've never really been able to talk myself in to buying based on "premium binning/overclocking ability" but I can and definitely have bought stuff for marginal feature bonuses/extra cores etc.

I'm the same way. I will generally get the lowest price option that has the cores/features that I want.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Boiled Water posted:

I think it would be worth waiting until we know if it's a goldmine of megahurtz or a wet fart.

So in just over a week.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's still at least 25% higher IPC.

The 5820K is just as fast as the 6800K - just uses a little more power to do so. Actually since it overclocks so high it usually outperforms Broadwell-E despite slightly poorer IPC. There's a reason Intel decided to forget about Broadwell and press on with Skylake ASAP instead. In fact, IIRC they weren't even going to make socketed desktop processors until some enthusiasts got pissy, and they never did sell well.

What's the game? AMD undoubtedly picked something like AOTS or For Honor that scales super well with cores, there's no reason they wouldn't put their best foot forward. So that's almost certainly not looking at single-threaded performance, i.e. most games.

I'm just calling them like I see them here. If it ends up hitting 5 GHz then so much the better, but I think it's a valid interpretation here that Ryzen is pretty much clocked out from the factory, and this isn't my first time at the AMD launch rodeo, nor seeing the pre-order-before-the-NDA-lifts gimmick be played.

It's good that AMD is going to be competitive, but they are experts at doing this whole hype-train thing, and their fan-boys just want to believe so badly, and just eat that poo poo up. I firmly believe that a bunch of this stuff is going to get walked back a bit after launch - like when we start seeing how it plays in games that aren't cherry-picked thread-friendly games.

I'm sure we can all remember the pre-launch demos AMD gave of Fiji, where it was beating a 980 Ti or Titan X? And how when the reviews came in after launch it turned out not to be technically a lie, just they'd picked combinations of games and settings that nobody ever used that disadvantaged Maxwell and favored GCN? And how even 2 years later and even with AMD's vaunted FineWine™ technology the Fury X still underperforms the 980 Ti in a lot of games?

(Seriously though, the FineWine™ meme says everything you need to know about the AMD crowd. That's what happens when you don't upgrade your architecture for 4 years - you get driver improvements!)

Actually I'm pretty sure it's still in production? Newegg and other stores have it, and it still shows in the Ark as "launched", rather than "end-of-life" or whatever.

To me all that says is that literally dividing a 3DMark score by the number of cores tells you jack poo poo about individual core performance unless you 're comparing the same number of cores. If you take those numbers at face value, they tell you that the 6 core and 4 core variants have higher individual core performance than the 8-core despite being the same architecture and running at markedly lower clock speeds. The only straight comparison with similar clocks that doesn't involve handwaving the fact that multithreading isn't 100% efficient is to use the 1600X in this graph which indicates a ~10%4% difference in per core score between the 6800K and 1600X. There is also the quad core ryzen at 3.2 compared to kaby lake at over 4 GHz telling roughly similar story. That said, I've seen different values for the score of the 6800K floating around (e.g. the one from wccftech suggests lower score for the 6800K, but it's wccftech). In either case we'll find out when more rigorous reviews release.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 23, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MaxxBot posted:

I pointed out earlier in the thread that is an awful, awful chart. Those numbers are just the numbers from the multithreaded physics benchmark divided by the number of CPU cores. It makes absolutely no sense to present the data like that because the benchmark does not scale linearly with additional cores.

It also appears to not scale perfectly with frequency either.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Deuce posted:

If you're just playing games it's still the top performer out there and it's also not $500. Ryzen isn't going to wipe out every Intel chip overnight, anyone who thought it was going to do that is a dumbshit fanboy.

But if you're recording/streaming while playing then Ryzen just dramatically dropped your cost of entry. Intel has been charging "lol gently caress you there's nobody at this level" prices on their >4 core chips for a while now.

Now, what might still be useful is seeing how Ryzen... 5....? chips pan out. If they're like Intel and achieve better clockspeeds on the 4-core chips, we'll probably see a 4c/8t chip that is at least in the ballpark of the 7700k for substantially less money.

yet another edit: although the leaked/rumor prices for the lower end Ryzens weren't as dramatic as the Ryzen 7 set, and the leak prices turned out pretty accurate for those.

The 1600X (6/12) is supposedly ~$80 less than the 7700K. Even the 1700 is going to be listed for about the same (~$10 less) what the 7700K is selling for on amazon and newegg right now.
https://www.techpowerup.com/230916/pricing-of-entire-amd-ryzen-lineup-revealed (note prices of the top 3 SKUs were confirmed in the AMD presentation)

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

White Rock posted:

1800X looks like a dud. What about the 1700? Having trouble finding benchmarks for it.

1700 or 1700X? In either case, I'm hoping that the extra threads will be useful for multiboxing spreadsheets in space.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

White Rock posted:

1700 sans X. I found a single video with had VERY favorable benchmarks compared to the 7700k. Still not beating it, but it paints a really good picture for the lower core ones coming later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5RP1CPpFVE

Also i have no idea if your serious but this one has an actual excel benchmark in which Ryzen smashes the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1pzcdZxKc

Spreadsheets in space = EVE Online.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

buglord posted:

the reviews posted seem generally positive, but the this thread's reaction is lukewarm at absolute best but mostly "ehhhh", and the comments section of review websites have mental olympics performances by AMD fans. So my question is:

Are any of these 3 processors an instant pick when it comes to building a price:performance oriented gaming machine?

Absolutely not on the 1800X and 1700X since those would have to outperform the 7700K in gaming to be better price/performance. Most of the reviews have rightfully concluded that Ryzen 7 is not a good value for gaming alone, and I highly doubt that updated drivers/BIOS will change that.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dante80 posted:

This one is an outlier.

Yeah definitely. I'm trying to figure out if there's was something weird on the test setup that would cause this, but I'm drawing a blank. Both were using 16 GB DDR-4@3000MHz (no specification on latency) and a GTX 1080. Presumably at that resolution it shouldn't be GPU bottlenecked, but honestly the results make me think that they somehow made it so.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
So far the only one I remember seeing was on [H]

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

K8.0 posted:

I don't believe this is true at this point. Benchmarks on a sterile test system show no real gain from 8c, but real world scenarios where you have something streaming on your second monitor, are streaming yourself, playing one game while sitting in queue for another, etc are all going to favor more cores than just a game needs. That and as we continue into the main era of this console generation, releases are going to be more and more optimized for the 6-7 cores those machines make available.

Arstechnica did a test on Dota2 + OBS, which did show a smaller FPS drop with OBS than the 7700K, but also lower average and 99th percentile FPS in both cases.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Paul MaudDib posted:

loving lol, it's a simple formula, 1440p/4K + any modern processor = GPU bottleneck, you could almost certainly even do that on something with IPC as garbage as bulldozer
Except that was referring to the guy who was apparently managing to GPU bottleneck on 1080 ultra, not 1440P/4K.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Beautiful Ninja posted:

That's literally the Kaby Lake i5.

E: On another tangent, now that I think about it, one of the reasons people are saying to go with a Ryzen over a Kaby Lake for gaming purposes is for streaming. Now that I think about it, the consumer CPU's have dedicated encoding hardware on them so you can use Quicksync. I haven't used QS yet myself, though plan to test it soon, wouldn't QS be plenty for the casual streamer for little performance hit?

It depends since Quicksync and honestly most GPU accelerated encoding tends to have lower quality compared to fully CPU driven x264 at the same bitrate.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I like how he completely stumbled on trying to make the streaming argument and ended up saying that Kaby Lake is 50% faster than Kaby Lake.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDjx-tW_WQ
Dude with the obvious GPU bottlenecking redid testing on 720p low instead of 1080 ultra.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

buglord posted:

Wait do people actually pronounce it as "Bi-ahhs"? I've only ever heard it pronounced as "Bi-o's"

Probably the same people that pronounce Ohio as like ohiah.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Twerk from Home posted:

This is looking really good. AMD should have a solid server product when Naples lands, I'm really optimistic.

:downs: wrong post

MaxxBot posted:

[H] did some VR stuff in their review, it looks stronger in VR than in the general gaming benchmarks.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/02/amd_ryzen_1700x_cpu_review

Maybe, although the fact that it lags behind the 2600K in about half the tests (2600K had 500 MHz or 12% clock advantage) is slightly concerning. For now I'm chalking it up to BIOS/EFI since apparently the ASUS board had the most problems among the review samples.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 3, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dante80 posted:

Yes, it might. AMD is pushing a lot of stuff this year in all markets, they might have a winner somewhere.

Lags in what task relevant to the server market? Productivity per $ and per watt is what governs it.

I seem to have quoted the wrong post. I was meaning to quote the VR gaming thing posted by MaxxBot

MaxxBot posted:

[H] did some VR stuff in their review, it looks stronger in VR than in the general gaming benchmarks.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/02/amd_ryzen_1700x_cpu_review

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dante80 posted:

No, its me. I suck at everything.

Nah, I definitely quoted the wrong post. I edited the right one in just in case someone else runs into it reading top to bottom.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hahah Anandtech's review has zero gaming benchmarks? They must have given them a pallet of cash to push that out a few weeks to a part 2.

:tinfoil:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm sorry but if you don't think there was a reason behind the premier cpu review site on the internet deciding to exclude all gaming benchmarks at launch for the first time ever then you're just wrong. This is insane. It's loving Anandtech. "Deep dive" indeed.

You mean like the fact that they did almost the entirety of their testing while attending press events (like actually in the hotel) and therefore just ran the scripted CPU tests? He also put up a poll on twitter and only 26% of ~200 said that gaming results would be more interesting.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pryor on Fire posted:

Oh ok sounds like Ian is on the up and up sorry my bad I'm sure that interview came with no strings attached my bad bro

Apparently one other factor is he may be redoing all gaming tests on Win10 since they haven't built up much of a dataset (i.e. nothing) on that yet. Even the 7700K tests were run on Win7

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

wargames posted:

motherboards isn't an amd issue its a partner issue.

Well it depends on how you look at it since supposedly partners barely had time due to AMD handling the launch poorly.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Maxwell Adams posted:

I've seen the new tests that show that the Windows 10 scheduler doesn't have a problem knowing what to do with Ryzen. They've got the latency tests for each core, numbers on CCX switching, etc. It all seems pretty conclusive.

... so why do most games perform better when SMT is switched off?
I assume you're talking about the PCPerspective article/video. There was a followup in the comments where they ran 4 worker threads with SMT on and did find some spillover onto the other CCX. In the corresponding video they also speculated that in a worst case scenario a DX12 thread could be on a different CCX than the corresponding game thread. Basically there's not great solution because some applications benefit from throwing all the threads on one CCX due to latency of inter CCX communication while others may prefer assigning only one logical thread per physical core.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 13, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

quote:

We have investigated reports alleging incorrect thread scheduling on the AMD Ryzen™ processor. Based on our findings, AMD believes that the Windows® 10 thread scheduler is operating properly for “Zen,” and we do not presently believe there is an issue with the scheduler adversely utilizing the logical and physical configurations of the architecture.
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update?sf62107357=1

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, there you have it. "Working As Intended".

The absolute and utter _lack of hedge_ has me suspicious. I definitely don't like this, and I don't like how there is not even a whiff of "We are working on BIOS updates" or "We are continuing to work with Microsoft in order to ensure the best-possible performance".

There is some amount of hedge since the scheduler statement appears to only address proper differentiation between physical and logical (virtual) cores as well as assignment based on that characterization. It does not, however, deny the inter CCX latency/assignment issue, and in fact seem to discuss this issue specifically later on in the update.

quote:

Going forward, our analysis highlights that there are many applications that already make good use of the cores and threads in Ryzen, and there are other applications that can better utilize the topology and capabilities of our new CPU with some targeted optimizations.

quote:

We have already identified some simple changes that can improve a game’s understanding of the "Zen" core/cache topology, and we intend to provide a status update to the community when they are ready.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 13, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Don Lapre posted:

Wait what, WTF is the point of that? What is it trying to fix?

Makes fans run faster on the 1700X and 1800X

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Paul MaudDib posted:

edit: wait that's not min/average fps

I'm assuming it's average FPS in different software versions. No idea what they're trying to show in the one below it. It's clearly not average frame times since higher results were presumably better. The second graph is just FPS in current version over previously obtained value.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 30, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Regrettable posted:

JayzTwoCents got good results on the Asus Crosshair 6 Hero, but I haven't seen Taichi results yet. G. Skill says it's compatible with it, though.

It's also on the ASRock QVL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Obsurveyor posted:

On the topic of coolers, can anyone recommend a fan-based one for a 1600X Micro-ATX build? I don't plan on doing any overclocking.

I would have to double check the tower heights vs your case, but the typical recommendations <$50 I see are the CM Hyper 212+, Cryorig H7, and Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct. The last one is probably the most likely to have problems fitting and you'll have to deal with the usual HDT fun, but its performance and noise is on-par with the NH-U12S. I have not checked which of these have AM4 mounting available. If your case restriction basically requires type that has the fan blowing towards the motherboard (e.g. NH-L12), I don't know a whole lot about those.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 13, 2017

• Locked thread