Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Nonpython posted:

June is for the Performance/Mid-Range. Think the line-equivalent to the /i[5|7]-2\d00\w/ models. (Wow, that was nerdy.)

If this were facebook I'd like that pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

FaustianQ posted:

I only fanboy for VIA and Imagination because if my cause isn't hopeless and the perpetual underdog, what's even the point?

The point is ethics in computer journalism

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Zero Gravitas posted:

LIke I said, this machine is intended as a toy machine to test out some workflow processes and whether its possible to do this idea i have (however slowly) on a shitbox frankenstein machine thrown together from spare parts I have lying around and some from the bargain basement bin instead of dropping serious coin on it. I know from work that OpenFOAM doesnt play particularly nice with hyperthreading so I was trying to avoid that. I appreciate the nod towards ex-server hardware, but I'm really not looking for that kind of stuff right now.

Is there any kind of recommendation on the hardware I've previously listed?

I went to one of OpenFOAM's trainings and they said it was fine with hyperthreading, it just didn't do anything except use a bit of overhead in parallelization. Although based on that I haven't bothered trying it and can't speak for any benchmarks.

From what I've read, the optimum OpenFOAM computer minimizes threading and maximizes memory bandwidth. I dunno what physics you're simulating, but if you're doing transient, turbulent, or really any flow that takes longer than a day to converge, I would really recommend ECC RAM. Without ECC you will not get repeatable results, and the odds of experiencing an error increase proportionally to the length of calculation.

• Locked thread