Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

This article is utterly terrible. It doesn't bother to test x264, despite x264 being the best encoder for H.264.

Secondly, it says that this:
is higher quality than this:
Apparently nearest-neighbor image resizing is awesome?

:stare: The second one is definitely better. Cleaner edges and less distortion, especially on the text on the swat van and on the cop car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

kuddles posted:

I actually put money down to pre-order the EVGA GTX 680 at NCIX. I also asked for autonotify for all brands of the card at NewEgg for when they are no longer "Out of Stock". This all happened March 28th.

At this point, I refuse to believe this card actually exists.

I actually saw one at Fry's a few weeks ago. I got mine through the EVGA Step-Up program, so they do exist, however rare they are online.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Agreed posted:

I wish I could have stepped up to this. I always have in the back of my mind "maybe EVGA will release something killer awesome and I can step-up" as part of my reason for buying, as I'm sure marketers intend, but the timing never works out for me.

Oh well, 580 hanging in there for now (which is a bit of an understatement; I mean it's no 680 but still) and it turns out babies are expensive BUT very time consuming and videogames just aren't going to be a thing for awhile!

My launch day 5870 died a couple of months ago, and I bought a 560 TI 448 Core knowing Kepler was imminent, so I bought an EVGA for the Trade Up program. It worked out nicely aside from using Sandy Bridge graphics during the time I sent my card in and I got the 680.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Maxwell Adams posted:

Doesn't Windows 8 render Metro using directx 9? I thought I read about them doing that so Intel graphics would work well on the inevitable Atom tablets coming out.

Ivy Bridge's GPU is DX11, but Sandy Bridge is not (DX10.1).

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Agreed posted:

I enjoy being spendy on high end cards and generally pick up a top end one from the generation :ohdear: Am I hitting the price to performance sweet spots? Oh lord no, but I turn up all the pretties and as a shallow ape man I dig that!

When I find time to get back into the system parts picking advice thread I am not going to suggest others do the same or anything like that, but I will buy big so I can enjoy what eye candy they have to offer this go around and it has not let me down in terms of enjoying games so far :shobon: It does basically lock you into the high end upgrade cycle where if you want to see a notable performance increase you best be willing to either wait two generations and buy a $250ish card or be prepared to plop down another five hundred bucks for this generation but what can you do (apart from not do that I mean)

I have done the same thing the last couple of gens. I bought the 5870 when it came out, and that cost me like $400 at the time. But if it had not poo poo the bed 6 months out of the 2 year warranty, I would still be using it because it is fine for 1080p and the games I play. I would rather buy a top end card every 3-4 years than meddle with $250 cards every 2 like I have done in the past. My 5870 was about the same as the $300 560 TI 448 Core I bought to step up to a 680, so it held up pretty well.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Civil posted:

I'd spend good money if AMD (or nv) could produce a video card that performed at mid-range levels, but didn't require an aux. power source or a massive cooling unit. I'm currently rocking a HD5450 because my wife and I wanted a quiet PC, and it does just fine pushing dual 1920 monitors. The last gam3r card I had in there (4850) sounded like a hairdryer.

Are the days of passively cooled video cards gone?

I couldn't hear my GTX 680 over my case fans even under full load doing F@H. It is the quietest card I've ever had, with a history of 5870, 8800GTS 512mb, 8800 GTS 320mb, and 7900 GTO. My case is the Antec 1200 with the fans on low for reference. I know a $500 isn't the solution for everyone, but it should be indicative of the Kepler cards to come.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

zer0spunk posted:

I'm waiting on a 680 to be delivered, more then likely it'll be about a week. Is it even worth it to pop in a 8800 512 GTS until then? it's a z77/3770k setup so it's got the 4000 IGP...

I got by with my 2500K graphics for a week waiting on my card. It worked fine for desktop use, but worthless for any kind of games made in the last 5 years.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Depending on how expensive they are, I'm considering updating my Wolfdale C2D HTPC to a Trinity setup for the power benefits. Anandtech has a starter of Trinity in the HTPC world article, but it's not complete due to AMD's weird release schedule for the NDA.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am planning on getting a Kaveri setup to replace my ancient HTPC, which will do nicely. For low power and low demand applications, these cores are pretty awesome. I am gunning for the 65W one which will be about half of the TDP on my Wolfdale C2D 3ghz and 6670 setup.

That being said, there is no way in hell this would go in my good gamin' rig.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I went to Microcenter today to grab a Kaveri A10 and mobo bundle, and the guy said that all boards need flashed to support them, even the A88x ones that were designed for Kaveri. He then said they could do it in store for $30 and about 1-2 hours wait time. I checked the Asus website, and the A88x board I was looking at supported it after a certain BIOS rev, but I dont know if that was on the box.

drat it AMD, I am trying here. :argh:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I ended up getting an A10-7850k and Asus A88x board and I am really happy with it. This is my first AMD build since my Socket 939 4200+, but I would recommend this for HTPC / Media applications in a heart beat. Yay AMD!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am still really happy with my Kavari A10-7850 after a couple of months in my HTPC. Handles all the video I throw at it, roms with ease, and Stick of Truth played at 1080p without issue. I would never put it in my GGR, but for this application, it sips power and handles everything much better than the Wolfdale C2D it replaced.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Alereon posted:

Sup Barton bros, I had a Barton 2500+ @ 2.2Ghz also, in an Abit NF7-S v2.0 motherboard.

:hfive: I had the exact same setup with a bit lower of an OC. That board was one of the best I've ever had. I think it was one of the first to do Dolby Digital Live that encoded stereo in to surround on the fly. I used the poo poo out of that and it was years before a discreet card did it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I finally got around to doing some testing with Steam In Home Streaming.

Host:
i5 2500k at 4.3GHz
GTX 680 2GB
16GB / SSD for boot / steam
Intel onboard Gigabit

Client:
A10-7850
8GB / SSD
Intel PCI-E Gigabit

I had Steam Big Picture Mode on at 1080p and was playing BioShock Infinite at 1080p ultra settings and it was silky smooth. I was blown away at how well it worked. I did a couple of other games, and was the same experience. I am definitely going to use this more.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

teagone posted:

Do you have a lesser client PC you could test a stream to? Like a zacate or something. I'm curious since your host PC is significantly more powerful than mine to see if the host specs do indeed make a difference in client performance. My host/client setup also utilizes Realtek gigabit...is it possible in-home streaming performance would fare better on intel LAN?

I don't have anything less potent unfortunately. I only use Intel NICs because I've found anything else performs very badly with large data streams, and in particular, my cable card via ethernet solution for Windows Media Center. If you are having frame dropping issues, I'd look to realtek as a culprit.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
As a hard core AMD fan boy in the early '00's, I got an early Athlon 64 on the Socket 754 platform. I got the 3200+ and a board for like $150 as part of an AMD training program when I worked at Staples in college. I know the board was a VIA K8T800 chipset, and I think it was an Asus. That board was nothing but a pain in the rear end. After like a year, I finally figured out that having a PCI NIC in the bottom slot was literally cutting the AGP performance in half. I had a Radeon 9700 that was not playing HL2 well, so I sold it and got a GF 6800 GT that was also was lovely. I finally took everything out and it was the NIC.

I got fed up with it and got a DFI LAN PARTY (UV PAINT!!) nForce 3 board which was better, but still sucked. That machine lived on for a few more years as a HTPC until I had enough cash to dump it for a newer setup. That was a good day, and it would be 6 years until I touched an AMD system again, and I am not thrilled with it now due to some driver issues.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

orange juche posted:

When I read the reviews stating that you could hit 4.2ghz comfortably on air with a modest $30 cooler, all I could think was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rL4em-Xv5o&t=73s

Hell, I've been running at 4.3GHz on a i2500k with a Hyper 212 for almost 3 years with zero issues. This machine has been bar none the best I've ever built.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I bought a Haswell i3 for my HTPC and there is a bug/issue with the drivers that caused my CableCard delivered video to Windows Media Center to chug and black out and generally not work. I haven't tried it since because I bought an GTX 750 Ti for it, but it was annoying as gently caress.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
FYI, that i5 750 is ANCIENT and by no means a current processor.

An Intel NUC with some RAM and an SSD would work here too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102053

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Angry Fish posted:

Why did nvidia get out of the chipset making game?

edit: nevermind, googled it. So Intel didn't give them a new chipset license for the Core 2 Duo or Nehalem CPUs just coming out, AMD wasn't making them any money, and they wanted to make SoC's that nobody ever really liked in the first place because of cost and power usage.

That and while the nForce2 was amazing, (Abit NF7-A crew represent) nForce3 was a dumpster fire for the A64 socket 754 platform. I worked at Staples at the time and got a bundle deal from AMD for doing their sales training. It was an Asus board with a VIA K9T800 chipset and a A64 3200+. That board was a complete poo poo show and I finally bought a DFI :dance: LANPARTY :dance: that was nForce3 to replace the VIA piece of poo poo. While the DFI board lasted a while, it was very quirky.

Socket 754 was also very short lived and AMD just dropped it and moved everything to 939 if I remember right. Of course this is more an indictment of a lovely platform, but I don't remember Nvidia doing much after maybe a nforce4 but that coincides with Intel's bullshit too.

Edit:

My first PC (long time Mac guy) was an Athlon XP 1700+ on a Soltek KT266 motherboard with a Geforce 4 4200 TI. I got tired of lovely ports and lack of games in general on the Mac and built a PC to play with my friends. I went from knowing nothing about PC hardware and not much about Windows (other than Virtual PC and Win98) to being the go-to resource for my friends in like 6 months. Guess I was destined for IT. :negative:

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 9, 2015

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Angry Fish posted:

Opinions on best time for AMD:
Thunderbird era, or Athlon 64x2 hegemony?

The Athlon X2 era before the Core 2 Duo came out was awesome and probably the high point for AMD.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Or continue down the nostalgia train with the decendant of one of the hottest cases at the time:

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=705218&fid=5022021

The OG Sonata was my first non lovely $60 case and it housed my OC"d Barton.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Someone made a stunning revelation during last night's PC Gaming Show.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Paul MaudDib posted:

Speaking of which, what was the problem with Socket 754? They discontinued that pretty much as soon as they launched it.

I remember my dad being seriously butthurt about buying into Socket 754 only to have 939 supplant it like 6 months later, at a huge cost increase with only a ~3-5% performance improvement. He was (and rather remains) a rabid AMD fanboy though so he sucked it down. At this point I think he's still running Phenom IIs and just obstinately refusing to upgrade rather than buying an Intel.

I think I mentioned this a while back, but Socket 754 had truly AWFUL chipsets and boards.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
FWIW, I bought a Radeon 5870 at launch (PowerColor I think) and it died right outside of the 2 year warranty. My current EVGA GTX 680 is over 3 years old is rock solid. My buddy got a 5870 just after me and he is still using it after like 5 years.

Of all of the cards I've had over the years, the only two I've ever had hardware issues with were the 5870 and ATI 9500. AMD SUCKS. :smug:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Paul MaudDib posted:

The one I'm waiting for is the DAN A4-SFX. That's literally the smallest you can physically make a mITX case and the airflow looks pretty fantastic considering (assuming you put it on its side, or cable-side down on a stand monolith style).

drat! :swoon:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

dissss posted:

Fact is Microsoft said you should move off 7 early if you're on a Skylake system

This is true regardless of your CPU and chipset, especially for consumers.

I started at my last job at the first of year in 2014. They were STILL an XP / Novell shop and planning a desktop migration for 2015 to WIndows 7. I was adamant going to Windows 8.1 Update 1 instead because 7 went out of mainstream support in 1/13/2015 so they'd be moving from one dead system to a dying one. Since I had just migrated the company to Office 365, we already had challenges with the versions of Outlook working properly on XP (2010 barely worked and was the last supported version), and through a lot of convincing, I finally got my wish because MS only supports the 2 most recent versions of desktop office for O365. Other things like SSL/TLS security features won't be updated outside of mainstream support, and will cause serious issues down the road. I work for a web service company and we are on the threshold of cutting off XP support simply for the reason that it won't support the certificate levels necessary to be PCI compliant anymore, and there is nothing we can do about that other than encourage our customers to upgrade their computers, or use the mobile app because the risk of keeping the old certificates is too great.

The point to all of this is that we will NEVER see an OS have a viable life like XP ever again because it was a victim of circumstance. The world has moved to annual and rolling updates, so you need to get with the program or be left behind.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Boiled Water posted:

What do you mean by this?

The road to Vista was long and hard.

With Vista SP1 though, it was a really good OS on good hardware. Problem was that Intel kinda forced Microsoft to lower the minimum requirements for Vista which gave a lovely experience to practically everyone who bought a lower end computer.

Couple that with the majority of BSOD's in the first year or so of Vista release was due to graphics drivers as AMD and Nvidia were getting their poo poo together with the new graphics and driver layers. Printer and sound drivers were also an issue, and a lot of printers never got updated drivers.

Windows 7 is for all intents and purposes Vista SP2 with a different name because it was so toxic that people thought it was suck without ever using the OS. MS even ran ads about the "Mojave Experiment" proving that people were predisposed to hate Vista on name alone

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

adorai posted:

I don't think you understand how business works. I need to provide my end users with a more or less homogeneous computing environment. Every workstation needs to be on more or less the same OS with the same featureset and options. My end users are not all able to adapt to even small changes in their desktop environment. Further, I cannot afford the manpower to do a rolling upgrade and retrain the end users to every OS upgrade cycle.

Sure I do. One of the main reasons I left the previous job I had was the same mentality you expressed mostly because they hired people who couldn't use a computer, and the tradition was to use the lowest common denominator as the basis for any user facing technology. I agree that an environment should be as homogeneous as possible, but that should not stop you from doing updates and upgrades in a controlled fashion, which you should already be doing with an equipment replacement plan and cycle.

Microsoft has been very aggressive to get everyone to Windows 10 to have a singular point of focus and support because the wide range of OS'es in the wild and still in support is a lot to manage. Which is also why they have 3 levels of update paths for Windows 10:
  • Current Branch (CB) | Immediately after first published by Microsoft | Approximately 4 months | Makes new features available to users as soon as possible | Home, Pro, Education, Enterprise
  • Current Branch for Business (CBB) | Approximately 4 months after first published by Microsoft Approximately 8 months | Provides additional time to test new feature upgrades before deployment | Pro, Education, Enterprise
  • Long-Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) | Immediately after published by Microsoft | 10 Years Enables long-term deployment of selected Windows 10 releases in low-change configurations | Enterprise LTSB

For reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt598226(v=vs.85).aspx

Just because your company works a certain way doesn't mean everyone else does. Most of the places I've worked at have had solid upgrade plan with regard to new OS and hardware cycles.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Stanley Pain posted:

Sure, maybe the jobs you've worked for. But the majority of large corps do NOT migrate OSes in any timely manner for any numbers of reasons.

Correct. What my point is that companies that do not adapt to modern technology are at risk for security and productivity issues. Like others have stated, there are no shortage of poorly managed companies that will feel the pain of this migration to faster paced releases because they are slow to adapt, lazy, incompetent, or too cheap. None of those reasons should stop MIcrosoft or Apple from releasing updates to their operating systems because some companies won't play ball.

From my own experience, the previous employer I mentioned was running XP on 98% of user machines, and the vast majority of them were running a mix of Office 2003 and 2007. The reason they were not upgraded to be consistent was lovely management and leadership and the promise of 'we'll upgrade next year' and next year never came. That is how you end up running a half billion dollar business on technology that basically was not updated past about 2005 in YOOL 2015. The cost of migrating email, applications, desktops/laptops, servers, storage, and directory systems in both dollars, effort, and personnel was extremely high for this company. I, as well as a number of my colleagues, quit as a direct result of of being burned out after a year and a half of constant system failures and migrations that should have really taken 2-3 years to accomplish, but because everything was in such dire straights, it was non-stop. So when you have a revolving door of senior level engineers and admins, having any kind of continuity, or even getting talented people in after garnering a reputation can be extremely difficult, and can cripple an organization.

These old and out of touch managers and execs also tend to hate subscriptions, which is the way the world is moving for software, like it or not. Microsoft makes no qualms about calling Windows 10 'Windows as a Service.' They only support the last 2 versions of Outlook/Office for Office365 functionality, which was an aggressive way to root out the assholes using XP because Office 2010 was the last supported version of Office on XP, and with the release of 2016 last year, it would no longer be supported. Not to mention it barely worked most of the time anyway because XP stopped getting updates that the other versions were getting that resolved issues with authentication and licensing.

There will always be resistance to change as it is human nature. But when you have to consider security, productivity, and cost associated with compliance, the days of buying Server 2003 or XP and running it past the supported dates are over if you want to ensure your technology has the best chance of avoiding being compromised. IT is no longer a cost center, and should be considered a critical part of the success of the business, and if it is not, you're gonna have a bad time.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

adorai posted:

That doesn't mean you have to piss away money.
The same way as with windows 7, with backups. We had a dumbass get crypto locked and I recovered all of the files in about 10 minutes.

lol. there were no backups.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

EdEddnEddy posted:

Welp, Mac's with Polaris are on the way... among other tech that PC has had for years now.

The Mac Pro has AMD GPUs in it too. Apple is REALLY far behind on Mac hardware now. The ~~new~~ Mac Pro is literally untouched since the launch just shy of 3 years ago making it probably the worst purchase of a workstation you can make now.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am actually getting a little excited now!

ArsTechnica posted:

At an event in San Francisco, AMD also revealed a few more details of the Zen's low-level architecture, and in a multithreaded Blender rendering demo showed that an 8-core/16-thread "Summit Ridge" Zen CPU outperformed an 8C/16T Broadwell-E CPU (presumably the Core i7-6900K) at the same clockspeed.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/amd-zen-performance-details-release-date/

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have held off getting a Wii U for mostly this reason. I want one, but outside of the Mario games, what else is the draw of the U?

My N3DS however I am bummed I didn't get sooner. This thing is a ton of fun.

I have one mostly for the Mario games, which are really really good. The Zelda remakes are nice too.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

redeyes posted:

It would be no big deal until you need to do this 1000x because you run a support shop.

If only there were tools to standardize settings, software, and computers!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's still no excuse for Windows doing terrible things. I'm not an IT guy, but every single time I do a semi-large Win10 patch on my home systems it resets all my file associations. Why? gently caress you, that's why. I have come to loathe patches (even though I'm on the deferred channel) because it means resetting every single file preference on four separate PCs. It just used to be the Anniversary patch and poo poo but now it's happening on minor patches too. And at first Microsoft's response was "you're not doing it right, you need to let Windows do it, other applications set it wrong and Windows is just fixing the registry for you :downs:" but I am setting it through the "Open With" menu and it still resets every goddamned patch. I can't think of any legitimate reason for this still happening years after launch except for MS wanting to push their own apps. And they're probably spying on me anyway.

Get with the times, we have shortcuts on a network share that we can double click that import the printer.

...since it's a shared workstation, you would also think that it would be loaded from a base system image every boot/login/etc.

I am an IT guy and I have NEVER heard about a Windows update resetting file associations. I have 3 Windows 10 physicals and a number of virtuals between home and work.

Also lol at a shared workstation with printers shared. The real answer you are looking for is a print server and Group Policy defined printers.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Paul MaudDib posted:

OK there buddy.

By the way, care to explain how exactly am I "doing an update wrong"? I click "restart and update" when it prompts me to, what exactly am I supposed to be doing beyond that, Mr IT Genius?

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and assume you upgraded from Win 7/8 to 10. Upgrade installs cause weird poo poo like that and also explains why in corporate environments this does not happen because most of the time those images are done from clean install media rather than upgrading a current machine and capturing that image for deployment. Also why it's Reddit people and not IT pros. You can upgrade Windows Server in place too and that an even worse idea.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 30, 2016

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Enterprise systems are very expensive and really difficult and expensive to migrate. Itanium lives in the same space as POWER, SPARC, and IBM/HP mainframes, which is the world that the vast majority of us would never touch. HP/UX still supports the Itanium, and HP is the only OEM still making systems on the platform. Old companies still use mainframe and mainframe like systems for a lot of their operations, but are slowly moving to platforms like MS Dynamics AX.

My last company used both a IBM and HP3000 mainframes, and I built out the new Dynamics AX environment that the HP3000 was migrating to. That project with licensing, hardware (Cisco UCS), and professional services was well north of $500k.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Boiled Water posted:

This is being discussed heavily in the Intel thread and generally perceived as being a bad idea.

edit: Being a bad idea does not stop anyone from implementing said bad idea.

That discussion is mostly about Intel Optane which is not what we are talking about here. For fast storage in the data center, you can get stupid fast (and expensive) NVMe/SAS PCIe cards full of storage. I am looking at a solution for our database servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

teagone posted:

I want Ryzen benchmarks already gat damnit.

This. I am dying for actual independent benchmarks. I want to upgrade my emulation HTPC from a Haswell i3 and a 4 or 6 core box would be great for other duties like Plex. The latent AMD fan boy in me is cautiously optimistic about Ryzen and 2017.

• Locked thread