Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's a bit worrying at the high end that the advantage to the AMD CPUs is merely "more cores". That's not a particularly useful drawcard for most enthusiasts, I would imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Not exactly the same, but wikipedia has this hilarious article where someonee tried to go through and explain what every ATI video card suffix meant, from back when they used them instead of changing the numbers all the time. I had no idea there were this many: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_video_card_suffixes

It's filled with these wonderful explanations that make me so thankful that they stopped with this poo poo:

If I'm remember my old Radeons correctly there was a particular card with both a "LE" model with a half-wdth memory bus and another "LE" model which was Mac only and actually had slightly improved clockspeed or somesuch. :negative:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It looks like a good upgrade from my 5870, I hope we get Mac drivers for it in reasonable time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DVI Just Works so I'll be sad to see it go.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Always thought that expanded name was a bit dumb, too (the T is already for Technologies.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Civil posted:

Eh, I can't remember the last time I swapped through several CPU's on the same motherboard. I can't see this as the death of enthusiast computing, though the number of components you need to buy has dropped significantly over the years as more and more has become part of the motherboard.

That's true enough, but also think of:
-being able to pair a cheapo mobo with a nice enthusiast GPU
-the time your mobo dies and being able to replace it.

I can easily see neither scenario being possible under this new regime.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rosoboronexport posted:

Either Intel is throwing Bay Trails to OEMs for almost free or AMD has problems getting the performance or thermals for these things.

The former wouldn't surprise me given that there's a Bay Trail Windows 8.1 Chinese tablet now for $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't consider Intel's new thing of not including a heatsink with K parts to be a bad thing. I do not know anyone who does not run an aftermarket cooler on K parts anyways, except when said aftermarket heatsink doesn't work, either because of DOA or age, and even then, only as a stopgap measure.

Shitloads of "enthusiasts" buy K CPUs and never overclock them so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them used the stock coolers.

• Locked thread