Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Don't worry I know 5 people that are gamers with no clue how computers work. The important factors to them in order are

Number of Cores
VRAM
RAM
HDD Space

I was able to talk 1 out of buying a bulldozer in the upcoming month or when computers will "be on sale" they have no idea how to build, I guess the other 4 I don't know very well so they don't trust my judgement or something. If I was still playing WoW I'm sure the number would be higher because everyone over 30 that plays seems to fall into the I want a new computer each year that has more cores category.

I think AMD will do okay because of the the current more cores is better hype going on with the mainstream. gently caress my dad asked me when 5, 6 and 7 core processors came out because he heard about a new 8 core and wanted it. (He only browses the internet and is using under 10% of everything on that system, its old parts I just threw together to stop him from buying something from a store).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

movax posted:

Especially with competitors like Sigma whose SoCs are cheaper/somewhat less complex options for powering set-top media boxes. TI's DaVinci chips are also very powerful for their price; they even sport integrated DDR2/3 controllers, PCI Express, SATA, USB and Ethernet. All on one BGA for ~$80 at quantity, IIRC. Why would you even bother dealing with x86 at that price? Licensing a BIOS, trying to minimize power consumption, etc...painful.

The main reason I can think of is a little project, your a massive nerd and want to do it yourself. It's like the time the router at my house was a piece of poo poo in highschool, I put an old Pentium 2 I got from the dump, slapped 6 NICs in it ran linux and made a router and RAID with some IDE HDDs with a cheap PCI RAID card. Did I need this monstrosity? No, not really, and I'm sure it cost more then a quality router. My parents always bought the cheapest one at best buy, and a $30 router (or whatever the gently caress they cost back then) wasn't going to let me run torrents 24/7. Though I did end up moving my client to the "router" it was a nice black box.

So people that like to do it themselves will build their own. I've actually wanted to build my own media box for awhile now, mostly because more control, and its something to spend time doing. But if anyone other then you is going to be using it its probably better to get a pre-made box because the end user is going to understand the UI a ton better then whatever you cobble together.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

dud root posted:

I have a nice watercooling setup going :(

(but I got a dud 2500k that 'only' does 4.4Ghz. I like w/c because its almost silent at full load)

I got water cooling once I no longer have it (sprung a leak the rug still has a green stain from the fluid). It looked really cool. It was mostly because I was bringing my computer to the dorm where the entire building was programming/IT majors, so people actually saw and thought it looked cool. Oh god I spent so much money on making the outside look cool, but I guess people spent even more making their cars look cool in highschool and I avoided that poo poo.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

Reminds me of this kid who in 2011 was running XP Home (32 bit of course since 64 bit doesn't exist for it) on a 6 core AMD high end CPU, with 16 GB of RAM and two video cards, which needed to have power leads plugged into them, not having those plugged in so they were struggling by on PCI-Express power, and bragging about the system.

And in a separate forum on that same site, was asking for help for why his machine wasn't performing as good as it should, while insisting running a 32 bit 10 year old OS made it faster.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Seriously give someone just a bit of computer knowledge and they think they are kings of everything and do really loving stupid poo poo. At least logically more RAM should always work, and the extra power connectors? Nah man that's for if you have 2 power supplies for some reason. gently caress it I can't even figure out the logic in not plugging in a power connector beyond not seeing it.

I've forgotten to plug them in before the cards don't even turn on, and a nice scary red light starts blinking, or at least that's what happened with the x1950

e:

unpronounceable posted:

It was made for computers built 10 years ago. Computers are a gajillion times faster now, so it HAS to be faster than if I were to run Windows 7 :downs:.

I see your logic, I'm going to run windows 3.1, and if I need DirectX I'll boot into windows ME.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

grumperfish posted:

code:
"The system would power on, but sadly it wouldn't post. 

So what happened? The fans turned on? Congratulations you verified you're PSU is functioning.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Also nothing is stopping you from buying a 2nd 7970 in 6 months if you need it for some reason. Now if you want/need to run 4+ monitors I think you can actually do that with 2 without enabling crossfire you just can't game on the ones attached to the 2nd card, but it should work fine.

Though I think anything from the 7000 series would work in this mode, at least that's how it sounded when I tried to see if a 4850 and a 5200 (or so) would work at the same time, catalyst said I needed 2 4000 or 2 5000 series cards and I could only enable 1 at a time. I really have no proof other then this though, so if you need this messed up setup do a bit of research first.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

It has to do with how the signal is generated. DVI and HDMI use TMDS generators to create a clock signal and related circuitry on the receiving end to detect the clock signal. You need one generator per unique display. These generators cost money and take up card space, so it's not super cost effective to install more when most people use one or two monitors. Same deal with VGA connections and RAMDACs, roughly. And the connector pins are fixed-function, with distinct pins for the clock signal. You gotta work with that.

DisplayPort, OTOH, works on packet data with self-clocking. And since each connector and signal generator comes with four distinct "lanes," you can handle them with some flexibility. Either run the lanes separately and drive a 1080p60 on each one, or send a quarter of a single large display on each and aggregate them for, say, 1600p120.

Of course, you need proper driver support and hardware for this lane tomfoolery, and nVidia gives next to no shits about DisplayPort. Their driver updates regularly disable the DP output entirely until they accidentally turn it back on a month or two down the line. Never mind triple monitor on one card. nVidia gives no shits.

Tri-monitor works pretty well with AMD cards, you might want a display port -> DVI active converter since unless you have recently bought your monitors they probably don't have the port.

The key thing if you are going to covert is to make sure its active not passive. I guess its should be no surprise that AMD supports this with eyefinity, but I didn't want people that want to have 6 monitors feel that had no way of doing it (pretty sure this is doable with some AMD cards)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

You could increase that price point marker higher though, because it can be overclocked like a goddamn demon.

Also, it has almost always been this way - the closer you get to the high end of the market, the prices spiral up. ATI hasn't done it for a while, which is why it seems unusual, but NVIDIA has done it for a long time.

Also, hold on, where are you finding a Radeon 5850 for $150? You can't even buy them new...

I can find a 6870 at $160 though, so your point does have merit. It's not as fast as a 5870 though.

I'd still recommend the 6950 2GB for price/performance though, day in, day out, have done for a long time. Especially if it's one known for unlocking.

I don't see a 6850 or 6870 listed its probably a typo. But I'm pretty sure I remember preference being better on the 6k series and the price being less which is why I bought a 6850 to replace my 4850 last year. That also looks to be about exactly what I get in BF3 if I set it to that, so I normally just play on high with no AA stuff because I can't really tell the difference at 1920x1200.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Goon Matchmaker posted:

How stupid would I be to go out and purchase a 6850? The pricing for the AMD stuff lately is extremely confusing. I really only care about being able to play BF3 at 1920x1080 round about 60 FPS or so.

If you are okay with medium settings it should be do able. I can double check, I normally am find with 45FPS though, so I tune my settings around that not 60 and I'm fine with a 6850 in BF3. I think I have a mix of mid and high and maybe 1 ultra or something that's low intensity.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

tijag posted:

It's the 19th. Availabiilty of the 78xx's is basically 0 right now.

Seems like if it was anything other than a logistic's problem [perhaps shipments to retailers were delayed?] I would have expected some sort of announcement postponing the launch.

I suppose it could be TSMC problems that Charlie claims exist.

Really suspicious that there are none available though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984&Tpk=7850%20HD%20Sapphire

It's in stock right now

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 19, 2012

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Autech posted:

That is a fair point. I can afford a high end system, i just need to stop being stingy. Time to start browsing the build threads :)

There is just one build thread, and its a sticky. Pick a system from the quick pick list, and you shouldn't be disappointed.

edit: herp hosed up the link somehow forgot the closing bracket and didn't catch it in preview.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 3, 2012

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm hoping they at least continue to make video cards. The last thing we need is no Intel being the number 2 for video cards, Nvidia would love to just stand still and charge $800 for a 2% increase every year. I at least have some faith that large investor will help evolve Intel for super computers and servers because of demand and that will trickle down even if its just Intel in the market for processors. We will lose in prices but at least we will continue to see improvements that can be stolen and reproduced by some new company later.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

GPUs have exciting stuff on the horizon, but CPU gains look to be slow and incremental for a couple years at least. I'm rooting hard for AMD to make a return to server competitiveness and make Intel blink a little bit with Xeon pricing. The E5 and E7 chips look to be their fat moneymakers right now, and if AMD can make some 14-20 core haswell competitive chips and is able to find a way to sell them for ~$1k - $1500, they're in business.

Edit: Just looked up E5 v4 Xeon list prices, my spitballing guess was way optimistic. AMD would be doing a huge undercut even at $2k per 16 core CPU.

Too bad microsoft is changing licensing with Server 2016 for by the core not by the socket. Minimum 8 cores per socket, and a license comes with 16 cores, and a server must be licensed for at least 16 cores. I guess if you are going single socket AMD could make sense with a 16 core that is better than a 10 core Intel. But considering the cost for a copy of windows at 2 10-12 core CPUs just make no sense, and if you need 2 windows licenses to make use of 2 16 core AMDs compared to 2 8 core Intels, you're going to have a hard time actually saving money.

This changes for Linux but that's a smaller market.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

So who here is actually going to purchase Zen, if we assume it achieves near-Intel performance for the proportionate price?

I'm still using my 2500k, and it's showing it's age in a few places. It's not over clocking as well, and I really should replace the fan and thermal paste it's been on the same set since it was new. If AMD can make a good CPU again I'll buy it. I run VMs at home because I'm a huge nerd. I've been looking for something affordable in the 4+ core range that wont cripple me in gaming. It's asking too much I know. Holding off on upgrading just a bit longer to see if AMD can deliver seems worth it to me.

I miss my AM2.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If apple buys up everything AMD has for the next 10 years and can use that money to building back up and eventually get competition for Intel in the consumer market I'm perfectly okay with that. As much as I'd love to play with a new AMD, AMD having money is the most important thing to having a competitive CPU market, which is just good for everyone.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

When I was in college and went from air cooled to watercooled the old heatsink was really stuck on ended up pulling the CPU out of the socket while it was still locked and bent a bunch of pins. Got a screwdriver for glasses out and ended up getting them bent back. I have no idea how arctic silver is that sticky.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Maybe its a sign..

Doom and Zen = Demon spawn when you use Zen and Polaris together?

Either way, AMD does really seem to like Doom as the demo game right now. Hmm.

It's new, and has a big reconcilable name. Doom3 also was pretty demanding and forced a bunch of people to update (just to be disappointed) I remember getting horrible FPS on my Gefore4MX440SE in DOOM3.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Is threadripper hyper threading? I assume Grok is an acronym or else oh boy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

AMD GPU's for future Intel iGPU's?

Well they had a good stock bump today probably from this. Hopefully it is true.

Yeah, it's at $9.50

Pryor on Fire posted:

This has to be a precursor to a buyout, laying the groundwork for something in a year or two. Nothing else really makes any sense.

I don't think this can legally happen due to monopoly laws, but what would this do to AMDs stock price? Would we all become rich?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Was reminded in another thread: If AMD doesn't break out the old All-in-Wonder name for the next generation of APUs, it will have been a colossal waste of an opportunity.

Will it have a TV tuner? That was the cool bit of the AiW.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Zen preview next week, and about as big as an upgrade as a company can get:

I'd imagine the excitement around the office at AMD is pretty nuts right now, they haven't been positioned this well since Thunderbird launched in 2000. The hype is nuts, if zen ends up being poo poo I'm going to cry for days.

Come on stock going to $100 again, daddy needs boat money!

Joking aside, I'm usually really good at avoiding hype and can't help but be exited for Zen. I even avoided the Hype Train on No Man's Sky enough to play it for what it was, a quirky indie game about exploring the vast universe. A game that shouldn't have been $60 but $20-40, but still I didn't mind over paying. I enjoyed No Man's Sky I feel it is a master piece of exploration, a very niche genre that had no right selling this many copies (and why so many people hate the game).

If I can avoid that hype train why can't I avoid this one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

NihilismNow posted:

This is the correct answer. Don't turn off the pagefile. Microsoft knows SSD's exist.

Windows wants a page file, even if you can fit everything into RAM without issue you want one, things are faster because they expect it. You will also run into games that will complain about no page file and refuse to start.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Right, and the question remains, when are you seeing usage like that at home, heh?

Maybe not yet but if you can go as long with this as you could the 2500k you very likely will be in 6 years.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Short lived? They're still releasing Itanium successors this year.

I thought the last version of Windows Server that supported Itanium was Server 2008R2. I can't imagine any new chips coming out are for new systems, most likely legacy systems or upgrades to software that does not have an x64 port. The wikipedia article makes it look like it's pretty drat dead. I'm sure there's niche markets but you can't even throw server 2012 on it, I'm sure there's some Linux Distro still being updated. Server 2008 R2 is EoL in 3 years too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SourKraut posted:

It sounds like what might be the final revision will come out this year.

Companies are slow to move, I doubt HP expects to sell many of these and will likely sell them at a high price tag to companies that aren't ready to move off the platform yet. Kind of like how you can still get support for Windows XP if you spend enough money.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Are the two lower ends more expensive than the Intel equivalent? That top one is a deal though! Going to wait on benchmarks but the prices are reasonable enough that I could see it being worth $50 to stick it to Intel. Actually taking into account motherboard it might be cheaper platform even if the CPU is more have to wait on pricing there too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

If you're not losing money you're already ahead of most.

The only way to possibly be losing money with AMD stock right now is to have purchased it over 10 years ago.

Or this morning it opened really high and down like 13cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Comments sound like Windows 10 Game Mode, which means the 7700k would likely also get a boost.

• Locked thread