Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Riso posted:

My Athlon II x4 640 is still good enough to play all games I want at 1080p, thanks.

Phenom II X2 and a Radeon 6850 I got cheap because my 9600 GT died.
Just ran the Tomb Raider benchmark at normal settings with SSAO and got 79 fps min, 120 max.
The first game that I was interested in and couldn't play was DA: Inquisition a month ago.

Was this the last good CPU AMD made 5 years ago that y'all are referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Does anyone know of a good pound-for-pound comparison between the A10-5700 and the A10-7800? I'm trying to weigh the value of upgrading my APU/mobo, all else being equal. I don't feel like paying $250 if I'm not getting a notable performance boost (gaming).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7677/amd-kaveri-review-a8-7600-a10-7850k

All the non-mobile AMD stuff is within 10..15% of each other, even if they're 2 generations or any model number apart.
Read a few pages in to see how badly they got destroyed by ancient i5's.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 3, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Jesus Christ http://wccftech.com/fake-amd-processors-spotted-making-rounds-a87600-counterfeits/

quote:

the guy requested an A8-7600 APU and instead received an Athlon 64 X2 5200 (Brisbane) processor
Tragically, I had to pause for a second to consider if that guy hadn't received a free upgrade.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5775c-i5-5675c-broadwell,4169-6.html
In case someone was considering an A10 for a media/light gaming box, Intel just airdropped the Broadwell i5-5675C into AMD's last remaining base because why not.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

And private equity groups are the devil.

AMD is already controlled by His Highness General and Crown Prince محمد بن زايد بن سلطان آل نهيان‎ (18.2%) and various western devils (~39%)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I vaguely remember the last stand of 32bit was the Athlon XP 3200+, on an Abit NF7-S mainboard if you were in the cool boys club.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

In reality though the tail end of the 32 bit era was dudes running Windows 2000/Windows XP 32 bit even though they'd just gotten the early generations of 64 bit chips.

I ran 32bit until three weeks ago when I wanted to play Witcher 3 too badly.
Making a 64bit boot USB stick on a 32bit OS is a tremendous pain in the neck, also saying goodbye to your trusty Windows 7 that ran flawlessly since launch day :unsmith:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
They gonna be kicked out of the billionaire's club and drop out of the Fortune 500. Take Two Interactive is worth more than AMD now :ohdear:
The custom/embedded segment is officially larger than computing&graphics now, and they're burning mad cash with no end in sight.

quote:

Computing and Graphics segment revenue decreased 29 percent sequentially and 54 percent from Q2 2014.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 17, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Guess we'll find out in a year. not much happening until then.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ah anecdote time. My hardware shop outright refuses to sell consumer WD drives and ASUS graphics cards, say their QA poo poo the bed right after that factory complex in Asia drowned or something and never really recovered.
So many complaints and returns.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

His work is already done, I guess he could have stuck around to collect paycheques for 5 years to do minor revisions if he didn't have anything better to do.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently HSA+Libre is the tits if your hobby is visualizing gigantic spreadsheets or processing databases into pie charts.
If it was your job you would probably be using very expensive software that includes a service hotline.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Also selling 20% of your remaining workforce into Chinese slavery, happy time all around.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It will be interesting to see reviews on how their self-overclocking thing works on gaming with an average tower cooler, but the 1400X and 1600X look great on paper.
Clocks could be a few 100 MHz higher, but for a first revision not too shabby.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ok that's all very nice for people who love streaming themselves using a software encoder doing raytracing hobbywork while also compiling Linux and some light cryptography on the side.
Now where's my 5GHz 4/4

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

My dude have you heard of the 7700K

I forgot to add for 149$ sry.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Dante80 posted:

Most of this is obviously AMDs fault, some of it is the Reviewers fault, overall this launch has a bit of a black eye but like any black eye it will get better with time.

Yeah it's probably best to forget what happened and go back to sleep until reviews for the R5's are out, which are sure to include the R7 aswell.
Launching your top of the line 16 thread CPU arch without having the required Windows drivers in place is pure :AMD: tho.

FaustianQ posted:

Makes sense, and if so than loving lol that SMT bug guts a Broadwell-E class processor to Ivy Bridge-E, holy poo poo. Wasn't the Phenom TLB bug just as bad? Is this a BIOS, driver or Microcode issue?

Some guy made an effortpost on reddit about poorly coded games being super erratic with thread management, and when they switch caches between the two quadcore blocks it's real bad for Zen but Intel is much less affected due to their unified cache. Or something like that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x7oaq/ryzens_memory_latency_problem_a_discussion_of/

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 3, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
They're gonna need to pack in another AMD_CPU_unfucker_install.exe with every steam game like in the olden days, aren't they :ohdear:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
If Zen has such severe penalties for crossing clusters, maybe AMD should have set it up as a dual CPU instead of blabbing about infinity fabrics.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

wargames posted:

So what if Inifab was 512bit would that help things?

Yeah that speed seems really low for connecting on-die CPU caches. An order of magnitude slower than GDDR5X memory? Math is hard at 4am :ohdear:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
A 1400X Black Edition with guaranteed 4-0 layout and 4GHz boost at ~199$ could nab quite a few sales until the mainstream coffee hexas land in 2018.
All they have to do is imitate Intel, disable the magic glue they worked so hard on, and make that low power process scream in pain :ohdear:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 17, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That setup is 'guaranteed' to run at 2400 assuming it's two dual-ranked modules, anything beyond that you'll have to find out as beta tester.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 5, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
German https://www.computerbase.de/2017-04/amd-ryzen-5-test/

The 1500X, 1600 and 1600X rock. For 60/30$ more there is little reason not to go for the hexacore-X and skip overclocking headaches imho.

720p CPU composite games ranking:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 11, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
No, a 1600X SKU with the top Wraith cooler (no LEDs though) is apparently planned.
1600X has the 20° temp offset, too while the 65W TDP ones do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

So whats the take from these overclocked with fast ram, vs a 6600k / 7600K at around 4.8Ghz with fast ram?

I wouldn't bother overclocking R5's.
1600 is fine stock if money is short and you want to use the included cooler which is reportedly decent for 65W TDP.
The 1600X is already maxed out stock if you let it use XFR.

That AMD Windows high perf-balanced power profile sounds nifty btw, does it work with Intel CPUs?

• Locked thread