Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

fishmech posted:

...and that directly led to Intel's MORE JIGGAHERTZ AT ALL COSTS Pentium 4s.

More directly to the 1.13 GHz Coppermine P3s, which were absolute poo poo and severely damaged Intel's reputation. Not to mention that is was only supported on one Intel platform that used RDRAM (another of Intel's disasterous mistakes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

Wait a minute, the way I remember it RDRAM was used in the early P4 platforms, which was then tossed to one side in favour of PC133, and later DDR.

But the P3s were still PC133..

I did have a 1GHz P3, or was it a 1GHz P3 Celeron, either way, it used PC133, and it was absolutely awesome. I overclocked it to 1.45GHz and it was stable all day long. Infact, the only reason I replaced it was because the MSI board had.. bad caps! yay! a real shame, because the board had better loving fan control than my current board, and I'd probably use it to this day as a file server if it was still working.

Nope, RDRAM started with the buggy, lovely i820 chipset which was a socket 370 platform. The Tualatin (130nm) core P3s and Celerons were great, as was the i815 chipset which was PC133. I did the same thing you did, a 1.1 Tualatin celeron overclocked to 1.4.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

AMD was also given a golden ticket by nVidia; I would be willing to bet that there are still a ton of people out there running A7N8X motherboards with a Barton 3500+.

quote:

Basically if Intel had released an updated 440BX chipset with ATA-66 support and official 133FSB support

They did, the i815. It was too little, too late though.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 11, 2011

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Agreed posted:

Yeah, basically the best case scenario is power draw that's not exactly attractive and performance that doesn't offer any incentives for switching from Intel to AMD. Or it could eat poo poo and be terrible and just a really obvious wrong choice. But the big problem is just no reason to switch, every reason to stay, even if they can squeeze out that extra 6% with the kernal patch. By the time Piledriver makes what I hope to god is a better showing than this, at least, Ivy Bridge will have already happened a while ago, bringing superior thermal performance and all that along with it, and Intel will be on to the next thing. They're really well positioned at this point, they basically need to gently caress up badly for AMD to have a shot and while they aren't infallible, they already had this problem and won't be revisiting it.

I haven't read about NetBurst in forever but wikipedia talking about an architecture from 2000 reads like a find and replace descriptor of what's not to like about Bulldozer. It isn't a totally analogous situation, but it's awfully similar. Remember when Intel was talking about super high clock rates? TDP >100W for a single core processor when the higher clocked models were considered? Finally just couldn't dissipate the heat at all (despite the ridiculous turbine-like shrouds they used to have for them)? Hell, didn't AMD take the world record clock rate here from a Pentium 4?

Then they brought out the Pentium M, which proved that the P6 architecture's efficient, shorter pipeline and dramatically superior thermal performance was still viable with more modern fabrication processes, and life's been good since. That was back when AMD's XP processors had a 12-step pipeline compared to the 31-step pipeline on the later Pentium 4 processors. The story of AMD and Intel sucks these days.

Nehalem was originally supposed to be a 10+GHz Netburst based chip. Ironically, the Core-based Nehalem that actually saw the light of day ran at 1/3 of the clock speed but I'd be willing to be was much faster than the equivalent performance of something like a Prescott scaled to 10GHz. Also didn't require an FX5800-style dustbuster cooler.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

movax posted:

Better question: why would you gently caress with a company that has the majority of institutional knowledge when it comes to computer hardware (from the process level up to software) and the world literally runs on their hardware and innovations?

Is it really even necessary? They paid huge fines and settlements to AMD over their anti-competitive behavior. Pretty sure AMD's only recent fiscal year in the black was because of that. Is there any evidence that they are still actively pursuing anti-competitive practices? Their prices are pretty fair considering they ARE delivering the best product.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

angrytech posted:

God drat it why do I feel like I'll end up going from Athlon64 -> Piledriver based on the name alone. :smith:
I've actually been meaning to ask: where do these companies get the names for their processors?

For a while in the mid 90's, AMD codenamed their processors after Land Before Time characters (Chompers, Little Foot, Sharptooth).

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Wedesdo posted:

Looks like my crossfire 5870s will still be okay for a little while longer.

Yep, I think I can hold out another generation with CF 5850s. What an incredible, venerable design. I can't remember the last time 2.5 year old graphics cards were still capable of running the latest games.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Yeah, the unfortunate reality of Crossfire gaming is that AMD's driver and profile release schedule is loving abysmal. I guess it's gotten better, but from what I've read they don't even have half the resources that nVidia does dedicated to making sure upcoming releases run well on their hardware and keeping up with SLI/Crossfire profiles.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

And in the cruelest tradition of irony, PowerVR's SGX mobile chips absolutely crush the relatively disappointing GeForceULP portion of Tegra 2/3.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I like how they specifically call out 5850 owners. Give us a better reason to upgrade and we will, AMD!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Killer robot posted:

It's sort of the fallback position for the people who spent the 1990s saying that the x86 was doomed and hopeless in the performance/desktop market because reasons.

It's the classic RISC vs. CISC argument from way back when RISC architectures were nearing the 1 IPC asymptote. Modern x86 processors are functionally RISC anyways due to micro/macro-ops fusion stuff and the actual circuitry in no way resembles the original 8086. Also x86 basically hit the 1 IPC per pipeline in the P5 days, so it's even more irrelevant now that it's 20 years later.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

You Am I posted:

Looks like that's going to save AMD's arse if it is true, a bit like with Apple's investment into Sharp for LCD panels

I dunno, I remember reading from AMD's last earnings report that they made almost nothing from the WiiU chips. Those volume contracts have very, very little margin.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I thought this was a really interesting post-mortem on what went wrong at AMD and why they're so totally screwed now:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/04/the-rise-and-fall-of-amd-how-an-underdog-stuck-it-to-intel/

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

It astounds me to this day that AMD effectively left their entire platform in VIA, SiS (remember them!), and nVidia's hands. I guess they technically made their own chipsets (Irongate, which I think was actually licensed from VIA) but they were even worse than the poo poo that SiS made.

I guess AMD making terrible business decisions shouldn't surprise anyone, though \/:shobon:\/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Kyle Bennett is the Zsa Zsa Gabor of hardware reviews.

He made his own automotive forums subscription-only because he posted there about his new Hummer H2 that he took offroad and they all made fun of him for buying such a stupid loving vehicle.

• Locked thread