Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Surreal to think Franken has somehow* gotten worse over the years, but with a panel with the likes of Liz Smith on it---pretty much everybody got blunted. What a dire episode on the relative eve of a major election. Can't even imagine what lineup they'll go for next week...might even have multiple pools depending on exactly what goes down and how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

:iiam: what Franken was talking about regarding kids teaching other kids to use microwaves.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Was perusing the wiki page for Colin Quinn's old show Tough Crowd and was surprised to learn Bill's old show Politically Incorrect was a major inspiration for it. Any random episode of Tough Crowd uploaded to Youtube from an old VHS tape is far more watchable than Real Time. It's kind of insane to see how gung-ho almost all the comics were about invading Iraq, though. And you could get away with blatant homophobia too. Wasn't that long ago.

Clibanarius
Sep 22, 2020

by Athanatos

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Surreal to think Franken has somehow* gotten worse over the years, but with a panel with the likes of Liz Smith on it---pretty much everybody got blunted. What a dire episode on the relative eve of a major election. Can't even imagine what lineup they'll go for next week...might even have multiple pools depending on exactly what goes down and how.

Do you mean Lis Smith the Nazi-lover Pete Buttigieg booster who helped Cuomo keep progressive change out of New York for years and who got her toes sucked in public by Elliot Spitzer?

edit: Yep, same one. Fuckin' ew. Literal evil.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Franken was trying to be an SNL comedian instead of remembering he's a former loving senator. :nallears:

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
I watched Pizza Man the other night. Do you remember the "Two Dollars!" kid from Better Off Dead? Well take that running gag and extend it into a feature length movie. You'll be vary close to what this movie offers world culture. But in the end you get to see Maher blow up the bad guy.

It's Trump

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Weirdly enough that was written and directed by J.F. Lawton, the guy who wrote Pretty Woman and Under Siege.

He also made The Hunted (1995) which not enough people have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmBGgEkFpg

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Nance ruins everything as always, but Maher is doing an extended season with 2 more weeks this time around for the first time so it wasn't The True post-election results ending episode.

Clibanarius
Sep 22, 2020

by Athanatos
Nance is loving hilarious. Literally of no value whatsoever except as an intelligence community prop. And he BASICALLY took over the Democratic Party! It's all loving morons like him now, each peddling their own book about how Russian-Soviet KGB-GRU-Spetsnaz-FSB Homosexual Donald Gay Drumpf is going to be loving arrested and tried for treason by the shadow conspiracy of good guy spooks. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaany day now.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Quick reminder that Bill Maher thought Amy Klobuchar would win the primary and general election.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Biden liable to toss her something despite and in spite of her extremely relevant controversies that sunk her run---so Maher will probably cheer that on as Close Enough.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Holy gently caress, Jenna Ellis is proof that when God made Kellyanne Conway he did not break the mold. Are these PR shitheads grown in a vat of pink slime somewhere?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This has to be Maher's worst New Rule ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgrZAPUvKyA

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

rich thick and creamy posted:

Holy gently caress, Jenna Ellis is proof that when God made Kellyanne Conway he did not break the mold. Are these PR shitheads grown in a vat of pink slime somewhere?

ça ira :thermidor:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

This has to be Maher's worst New Rule ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgrZAPUvKyA

na its pretty much 100% on point

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In keeping with tradition that Maher would join in on pearl clutching panic despite airs of being above it all when it comes to the strategies that losing Dems used to lose vs the genuine, non-diet Rep articles as opposed to at all examining those that did better when allowed to run away from the center mass of rot and grift.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

na its pretty much 100% on point

He quotes a bunch of moron Democrats (only the "don't say Latinx" guy is right) who themselves are the reason the party does poorly. Agreeing with Clyburn (or loving Connor Lamb) at this point should disallow someone from commenting on politics ever again. He also seems to miss that the minority uptick for Trump is almost certainly because he got credit for a 1200 bonus in their bank account.

He showed a bunch of people that (mostly) should've been thrown to the wolves and also most Americans don't follow any of that poo poo.

The whole clip is agreeing with the people that made the D brand absolute dogshit. It's incredible how loving stupid he is.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 14, 2020

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The modern Democratic party strategy of "run to the middle" only worked for one candidate, Bill Clinton, and he benefited from a three way race in '92. Gore and Kerry lost to Dubya, a man who could barely put three words together and form a sentence, dropped the ball on 9/11, and got the country into two wars. (Obama ran as more of a populist in '08 and his slogan was Hope and Change.) Hillary lost to Trump, a racist, sexist, incompetent, pathologically lying lunatic.

Democrats continue to run away from popular policies and strong rhetoric. Even Fox News viewers are 72% in favor of government-run healthcare. Other issues like a living wage and legalizing marijuana are overwhelmingly popular in polling, but Democrats want to keep the status quo like it's still 1992. They keep losing seats in Congress and only squeak by in the presidential race.

The Amy Klobuchars of the party aren't going to save the country by being as milquetoast, centrist, and corporatist as possible. If your platform is basically the same as it was 28 years ago you deserve to lose.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

He quotes a bunch of moron Democrats (only the "don't say Latinx" guy is right) who themselves are the reason the party does poorly. Agreeing with Clyburn (or loving Connor Lamb) at this point should disallow someone from commenting on politics ever again. He also seems to miss that the minority uptick for Trump is almost certainly because he got credit for a 1200 bonus in their bank account.

He showed a bunch of people that (mostly) should've been thrown to the wolves and also most Americans don't follow any of that poo poo.

The whole clip is agreeing with the people that made the D brand absolute dogshit. It's incredible how loving stupid he is.

A bunch or morons that arent...pure enough? Obama too, when he makes the exact same point (and he has) is also part of why the Dems are trash? Who even cares who he quotes the point is still valid. If minorities are only voting for trump because of a check then maybe your message of how much better things will get is trash and all the woke purity poo poo doesnt work. Try going to the average former D voter and telling them "uh actually its Clyburns fault we suck not because we cant push a message without screaching the dumbest slogans possible." I'm sure you'll swing them back in no time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When I said "at this point should disallow someone from commenting on politics ever again" I didn't mean reply and make it clearer you shouldn't be commenting on politics.

The people he's quoting and Maher himself do not want to run on the winning positions. I'm not sure how you missed that.

And again most Americans don't give a poo poo about "cancel culture". "Defund the police" had no effect on the election. It's centrist failures trying to make excuses for constantly failing. AOC and loving Beto O'Rourke of all people had the correct post-mortems but oddly enough Bill didn't quote them!

Jesus loving christ he attacked the Dems for rightly going after Kavanaugh (they didn't actually lose seats due to that either).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 14, 2020

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Bill Maher doesn’t understand that when the platform is to sway Republican voters to vote for Biden, while ignoring progressive policies, those Republicans will still vote R down ticket but fewer progressives will show up.

It’s actually really simple.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How do you see statistics like these:

And come to the conclusion that the Democratic Party should go further to the right?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do you see statistics like these:

And come to the conclusion that the Democratic Party should go further to the right?

Bill Maher doesn't look at statistics. He said it clearly in his New Rule. It's all based on his bullshit campaign about colleges not wanting to platform morons. He's still obsessed with that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Changing your message and phrasing to not be utterly repulsive to middle America doesnt mean going to the right.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Changing your message and phrasing to not be utterly repulsive to middle America doesnt mean going to the right.

If “stop murdering people” is utterly repulsive to “middle America” then we should be repulsing them more often.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For the record, BLM correlated with a large swing in D registrations, and Defund The Police has roughly 30% support despite being less than a year old and having literally nobody in the media or in politics above Junior Rep defending it.

Also, a big problem with this logic on why conservative democrats ate poo poo, Not a single one of the conservative incumbents who lost their seat supported Defund The Police.

If your argument is "the mere existence of activists for DTP, completely separate from any political apparatus and routinely disavowed by conservative democrats, made democrats lose" then you better follow that up with some plan for a mind control beam because you're not going to crush grasssroots support with "Danny Duberbun in Kansas doesnt like BLM, so knock it off".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bill Maher said the Democrats shouldn't have gone after Kavanaugh for assaulting someone in high school and acted as if that hurt them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bill Maher said the Democrats shouldn't have gone after Kavanaugh for assaulting someone in high school and acted as if that hurt them.

Well he says dumb as poo poo stuff sometimes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

To be fair I do agree with some of what Maher says. I do believe that people are can be oversensitive. I also believe that a lot of discussions on what is and isn't appropriate terminology and discourse for people of color is done by upper class whites in metropolitan areas. The issue is that Maher gives galaxy brain takes on it and paints everything with the broadest brush possible.

Neurolimal posted:

For the record, BLM correlated with a large swing in D registrations, and Defund The Police has roughly 30% support despite being less than a year old and having literally nobody in the media or in politics above Junior Rep defending it.

Also, a big problem with this logic on why conservative democrats ate poo poo, Not a single one of the conservative incumbents who lost their seat supported Defund The Police.

If your argument is "the mere existence of activists for DTP, completely separate from any political apparatus and routinely disavowed by conservative democrats, made democrats lose" then you better follow that up with some plan for a mind control beam because you're not going to crush grasssroots support with "Danny Duberbun in Kansas doesnt like BLM, so knock it off".

Yep.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Well he says dumb as poo poo stuff sometimes.

Judging by the content of this thread over the last five-plus years, it's like clockwork, not sometimes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Bill Maher would be a Republican like that if they just supported marijuana legalization. :shrug:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCXsm7sAffE

Clibanarius
Sep 22, 2020

by Athanatos

A bunch or morons that arent...pure enough?

Please don't do this. Nobody on SA is that stupid. And I include the handful of 2016-era GBS pro-Trump chuds in that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Bill had 4 ribs removed for this episode... :nallears:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Dyson kinda tried, at least. But even limiting himself to such a specific niche---there's almost nothing that can be done given the panel and Maher's peacocking approaching CNN Crying levels of willful dissonance.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Season nineteen starts on Friday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gygl6rl9eI8

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Zogo posted:

Season nineteen starts on Friday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gygl6rl9eI8

I wonder if Bill realizes that whoever arranged that promo to have Bill say the line "This is what no other show will talk about" immediately preceding a guest say we're all narcissistic.

I still try to keep up with what guests he has on the show, but Covid really broke some hosts, especially those that are inclined to say "cancel culture". Bill was bad before with his takes leading up to the recent election, but my goodness did the Covid aspect of it actually turn his show to mush.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Jesus Christ, this show is STILL on the air? How?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
ugh why am I going to punch myself in the balls by watching this again?

Super Deuce posted:

I wonder if Bill realizes that whoever arranged that promo to have Bill say the line "This is what no other show will talk about" immediately preceding a guest say we're all narcissistic.

I still try to keep up with what guests he has on the show, but Covid really broke some hosts, especially those that are inclined to say "cancel culture". Bill was bad before with his takes leading up to the recent election, but my goodness did the Covid aspect of it actually turn his show to mush.

Not having an audience broke his loving brain...it's like if Class Clown was in the DSMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Jesus Christ, this show is STILL on the air? How?

All of us watching to get angry.