Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bill needs to be sent to the farm.

The funny farm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bill needs to be sent to the farm.

The funny farm!

Nothing funny about young people being braindead consumers with a flavor of narcissism just like old people

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

this week's RT was actually watchable for a change thanks to the fact that bill invited an anti-anti-woke, michael eric dyson to explain to bill and that other hack, glenn loury on why they don't understand anything about CRT

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthRU3wFDdY

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Like a month ago he argued raising taxes on the rich in New York is bad because the rich pay the most in taxes and there is only so much rich people are willing to take. That was the last straw for me.

I wish I could rind a clip but I couldn't. Just dumbfounded listening to Bill Maher argue taxes are too high on the rich and if they get any higher they are going to leave New York.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

limp_cheese posted:

Like a month ago he argued raising taxes on the rich in New York is bad because the rich pay the most in taxes and there is only so much rich people are willing to take. That was the last straw for me.

I wish I could rind a clip but I couldn't. Just dumbfounded listening to Bill Maher argue taxes are too high on the rich and if they get any higher they are going to leave New York.

:lol: people still believe when rich people say this bullshit?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
only maher could make dunking on zuck sound like the outdated ravings of a geezer

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

He hosted two of the more visible antivaxxers on his show.

Don’t forget that Bill loving Frist schooled him on vaccines live on his show like what, 12, 15 years ago? It was pathetic.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
which one of you is turning my posts into articles :lol:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bill-maher-is-americas-most-important-conservative-voice

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't notice who wrote it and halfway through I thought "this is Matt Lewis isn't it".

(he deleted the tweet so apologies for the photocopy of a photocopy quality)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Season 20 begins in a couple of days. As far as the guests: :iiam:

Back in October Maher was waving goodbye to the last remnants of the pandemic. So I wonder if he's going to maintain that stance.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Here's my guess: Dinesh Desuza, Ann Coulter, that one CIA spook, Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson, and in a huge get for his new target demo: Joe Rogan.

They will all high-five that the plague is over and discuss how best to invade Russia so we can put a(nother) NATO base on China's border.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I saw Bari Weiss and Ritchie Torres are going to be on.

“Okay, who here loves Israel MORE?”

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I hope they get to the bottom of the world's problems and fix them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Holy poo poo what a hack

https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1484742759814557697?s=20

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Maher is ready to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of more people as long as it means he can keep his tour dates going. Doesn't care how clogged hospitals are either. :eyepop:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope every one of these "I'm so bored of covid lol" people end up needing an ICU bed only to be told "sorry we're full, enjoy the hallway I guess"

That's the normal they want to return to right?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

I saw Bari Weiss and Ritchie Torres are going to be on.

“Okay, who here loves Israel MORE?”

don't know much about this ritchie torres guy, but he was pretty much the only voice of reason on the panel. did a pretty good job pushing back against maher and weiss' bullshit. actually made a panel with those two idiots watchable for once

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 23, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

don't know much about this ritchie torres guy, but he was pretty much the only voice of reason on the panel. did a pretty good job pushing back against maher and weiss' bullshit. actually made a pane with those two idiots watchable for once

Torres is a progressive but also a lovely Zionist.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
To echo Michele Wolfe: stop it Bari. Your opinions are terrible and they hurt people.

https://twitter.com/walkerbragman/status/1484994503224311809?s=21

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Bari’s bullshit is also a perfect encapsulation of the absolutely terrible messaging around COVID:

Cloth masks never protected the wearer, it was always about reducing community spread. You need an N95 or better to protect the wearer, but the US didn’t have enough PPE (and still doesn’t, after 2 years) so the CDC just updated its guidelines to admit that respirators are better than cloth masks because they didn’t want the public buying up the supply.

The vaccines were never “take it and get back to normal,” theY only ever prevented death and maybe hospitalization. But the current and previous regime don’t want to admit that. They don’t want to scare people by telling them how bad it really is, because Jen Paski might not be able to get her morning Starbucks. So they tried to bribe the public by telling them (incorrectly) that if enough people got vaccinated this would all be over and, bonus, if you get vaxxed you don’t have to mask any more! Now we are two variants on from that decision with a third right behind.

The new regime changed literally nothing but the wording:

2020: “it’s just the flu.”
2021: “we have to learn to live with it.”

2020: “one day it’ll just be gone, poof, like a dream.”
2021: “endemic COVID: one day it will be just like the common cold.”

2020: “you have a 98% chance to survive.”
2021: “most people who died had 4+ comorbidities.”

On that last point: they hide the facts behind clinical language. When leaders say “omicron is mild for healthy people” what they actually mean is “omicron causes fewer hospitalizations in people who are under the age of 25 and have never had anything wrong with them physically or mentally.”

Some of the CDC’s six page list of COVID comorbidities include: obesity, anxiety, depression, short stature, headaches, any injury, lactose intolerance, any allergy, history of organ transplant, and many more!

Remember: “four” means it’s okay for you to die according to Biden!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I hate this dumb, selfish motherfucker so much. I've finally convinced my Boomer dad to stop watching his shitshow.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It is somewhat remarkable how the pandemic has wound up being more of an accelerant for his worst glowing embers placed precariously near to dry timber than just about anything else in the entire span of the show---the stark perils of the prevailing times seemed to strike him as the perfect moment to choose the worst possible side to nigh everything and revel in it as opposed to any prior outsider/maverick gimmicks that also at least helped the guest pool.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've noticed a lot of TV commentators now calling anyone being vigilant about anything pandemic-related to be paranoid.

I don't think they know what that word means. It fits vaccine aversion and those using the phrases "the great reset" and "plandemic" a lot more.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

was this week's episode worth watching? i know he whine again about how the left is hurting his feelings with their woke criticisms and such

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

was this week's episode worth watching? i know he whine again about how the left is hurting his feelings with their woke criticisms and such

He also spends a large portion of the panel whining about masks. Not like there's anything else going on.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

Ira Glasser was a better guest than usual.

Bill minimized COVID by saying there's a few hundred deaths per day from it. It's a lot higher than that.

Most of the COVID conversation on the show is off-base. He comes at it from the perspective that if you're worried about it you're paranoid. And then focuses on minutiae like a few people wearing masks outside as if that's the focal point of the pandemic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wish someone had the balls to call him on his poo poo. One of the few times I remember it happening was Affleck calling out Sam Harris and Maher for their Islamophobia.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Well if you call him out on his own show, he'll throw a hissy fit and say "I don't want to talk about it anymore, next topic!" :qq:

Then you're never invited back. I do like how Jeremy Scahill went out, too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1489849924300722179?s=21

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bill Maher: I Used To Be With It, But Then They Changed What "It" Was

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Bill Maher has always been an opportunist, but it is pretty sad seeing him doing exactly what he screeched about his Republican guests doing.

He not only cherry picks examples that prove his point, but also completely misrepresents if not outright lies about them.

Take for example the highlight of his New Rules from last week:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/san-francisco-shoplifters-theft-walgreens-decriminalized-11634678239

What the gently caress? Shoplifting is essentially legal now? WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THE LEFT!?!? :sad:

But if you will actually look deeper by...reading the proposition bill which is only a few pages anyway then things make more sense.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-160551360299

For starters, the proposition wasn't for San Francisco like the headline implies, but all of California. Second off, the bill in no way, shape or form legalized shoplifting, it merely made it so that shoplifting under $950 a misdemeanor instead of a felony. Finally, there is nothing "radical" about the bill. Prior to the bill the law against shoplifting was the exact same except that the limit was under $400 for a misdemeanor, instead of $950.

Now I could just bow out right here, but I feel like further embarrassing Maher and others like him.

The article mentions that the vast majority of shoplifting doesn't even approach $400 to begin with, and in fact much of the time culprits aren't even arrested.

But I feel like it would be best to bring up my long time friend. He was once a compliance officer for Target, but eventually quit the job because he hated it. The main reason why he hated the job? He told me that contrary to popular belief, most people who shoplift aren't taking expensive things like iPads and video games, but rather stuff like toys, candy, clothes, and other stuff that will total out to like less than $25. So essentially all shoplifting is treated like a misdemeanor anyway. The law changes nearly nothing outside of the most extreme of the extreme cases of shoplifting.

The image of people who run in and out of the store with duffle bags is mostly just sensationalized media. All the law changes is that instead of these unicorn shoppers running out while carrying one duffle bag, they are carrying two of them.

If people want to further prosecute such situations that's understandable, but it is non-sensical to pretend that it's the norm and constitutes a substantial share of shoplifting as a whole.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Maher has basically been Joe Rogan minus the steroids for many years. If Mitch McConnell would get on board with legalizing marijuana at the federal level, Maher would have had his own slot at CPAC years ago.

Much like with Rogan, nothing about them changed back in March 2020. They were always lovely people with regressive views, but the pandemic forced people to come to terms with who these clowns are.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
"Yes Katrina, this show will be a discussion about all the problems facing the Nation. Issue 1: Who let you be in charge? Oh, I'm also talking about the magazine and not the country."

jfc...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Katrina had Maher and Avlon fully on tilt last night.

Doing "The Nation" wordplay and then suggesting that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was superior to Lincoln. Hopefully she's not disinvited from future shows.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

Maher has basically been Joe Rogan minus the steroids for many years
Bill's been a lot worse than Rogan, which hurts to say.

Joe will have Abbie Martin on talking about what's happening in Palestine. (And will just stupidly ask "well, when an entire nation's army busts down a man's doors and kicks him and his family out of their house to bulldoze it, why would you not simply jiujitsu/gun your way out?")

Modern Bill Maher would simply not have an Abbie Martin on the show, and if any guest so much as suggested Palestinians had human rights, they would never be asked to return.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bill Maher has created his own podcast titled Club Random with Bill Maher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkE_szxAWyg

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Just saw Andrew Sullivan being a complete child on the Jon Stewart show. Oy vey.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Super Deuce posted:

Just saw Andrew Sullivan being a complete child on the Jon Stewart show. Oy vey.

link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

https://youtu.be/1cmnwbGmu7w