Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Google it if you want to know the crazy abusive poo poo she did to her kids, I'm not going to do your homework for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

He challenged you on your stance and that was your defense? That he should go google it himself because you can't be assed to defend your own argument?

:psyduck:

You do know that this a thread about a show that is primarily about discussion right? (Not that that retort would fly anywhere, ever)

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

AltronHGX posted:

He challenged you on your stance and that was your defense? That he should go google it himself because you can't be assed to defend your own argument?

:psyduck:

You do know that this a thread about a show that is primarily about discussion right? (Not that that retort would fly anywhere, ever)

He is pretending this is not a message board. Let him be, he is angry at the Lady on TV

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Good episode in all, though. The New Rules segment was pretty great with Bill cracking up twice halfway through jokes.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Reza Aslan had a few awkward jokes (REALLY awkward) about 35 minutes into the episode, but overall I liked it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's kind of hard to be on her side after teaching in Asia for a while. Most of my students are maladjusted to some degree or another, and none of them have any concept of creativity.

The schools here have something called moral education. I asked what that was, they explained it--it's basically what it sounds like, teaching kids right and wrong and stuff about society. I told them we don't have that kind of class in the US because it's the job of the parents. They told me they have it here because parents rarely see their kids, so there's no way for them to handle it alone. The kids are in school from 9 AM to 10 PM, six days a week, between the public school and the private ones they go to in the evening.

And my kids are, apparently, not as maladjusted as most. I know teachers here who have students that'll just snap in class, crying uncontrollably, or babbling random English words for a bit before they get control of themselves again. And we're talking nine year olds here, middle school is worse and high school is three years of spending sixteen hours a day every day prepping for exams, from what I've heard. They sleep 4-6 hours a day and spend the rest of it studying.

And yeah, they take tests very well. But ask them to put together a sentence that isn't something they've memorized, or to draw a picture without any guidelines, and you just get blank stares.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's kind of hard to be on her side after teaching in Asia for a while. Most of my students are maladjusted to some degree or another, and none of them have any concept of creativity.

The schools here have something called moral education. I asked what that was, they explained it--it's basically what it sounds like, teaching kids right and wrong and stuff about society. I told them we don't have that kind of class in the US because it's the job of the parents. They told me they have it here because parents rarely see their kids, so there's no way for them to handle it alone. The kids are in school from 9 AM to 10 PM, six days a week, between the public school and the private ones they go to in the evening.

And my kids are, apparently, not as maladjusted as most. I know teachers here who have students that'll just snap in class, crying uncontrollably, or babbling random English words for a bit before they get control of themselves again. And we're talking nine year olds here, middle school is worse and high school is three years of spending sixteen hours a day every day prepping for exams, from what I've heard. They sleep 4-6 hours a day and spend the rest of it studying.

And yeah, they take tests very well. But ask them to put together a sentence that isn't something they've memorized, or to draw a picture without any guidelines, and you just get blank stares.

That sounds insane.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 21, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know what kind of salaries there are. There's a convenience store or a cell phone store literally every block though so it seems like there are plenty of no-skill jobs. It's about more than money though, failing would be shameful. Opting out isn't likely to happen, I don't think it would even occur to them. Your parents are older than you and they have authority, so you do whatever they tell you to do. You don't have a choice and you don't question it.

However, failing obviously will happen. What ends up happening is grade manipulation and passing kids along whether or not they deserve it. I'm not allowed to give Ds or Fs, for example. So, I have a number of kids who refuse to pay attention at all and don't know anything. They'll get 5/100 on a test. That's a C. Whether or not they learn anything isn't as important as the appearance that they're learning something, at least in English class. I don't know how that works when they have to pass the national English exams.

Second highest suicide rate in the world. I bet a lot of those are kids who couldn't handle the expectations in the school system.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's refreshing to hear that everyone's lives are awful no matter where in the world you go, at least? :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Most of them don't seem too depressed at least. It helps that they don't know anything different, this is just how it is. They won't find out that kids in the west spend half as much time in school until it's too late.

I try to go easy on them a little and not get angry just because they have such lovely childhoods. But a lot of them are fun and happy all the time, I don't know how but they are. We're drat lucky to be born in the west though, I can't imagine never having had a childhood.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
It is still just a cultural difference and issue. There is no clear decision of what childhood is supposed to be like. In the U.S. we have different cultures who raise their children different then other children are raised.

I suspect that the Tiger Mom is too strict but she did not write a "how-to" she wrote a book about her experiences. I have not read Amy Chua's book but from the comments about it I get that the issue is more about elitism then racism or strict discipline.

I still wish ICQ would explain what it is that makes him so over the top angry about this.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

pkd88 posted:

It is still just a cultural difference and issue. There is no clear decision of what childhood is supposed to be like. In the U.S. we have different cultures who raise their children different then other children are raised.

I suspect that the Tiger Mom is too strict but she did not write a "how-to" she wrote a book about her experiences. I have not read Amy Chua's book but from the comments about it I get that the issue is more about elitism then racism or strict discipline.

I still wish ICQ would explain what it is that makes him so over the top angry about this.

It's IRQ, not ICQ, and I assume it's because he feels it's a violation of human rights to restrict their freedoms, even if it's in the name of education, so overpoweringly.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
This week was good, especially the last New Rule.

Couldn't stop staring at the woman's rack though.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Loved all the comedy to be had from Weinergate. It was probably due to the alcohol but I was laughing so hard it hurt at one point.

Adam McKay was loving funny too.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 21, 2012

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

That was the most uncomfortable episode yet.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most

magiccarpet posted:

Didn't have Robin Williams. Also not nearly as tense as the recent Breitbart episode

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
It would help to not have someone like Brietbart starting pointless arguements, and Bill pretending to give the other side a voice when they are really just an annoying disraction. Then Bill tells the audience to shut up, which makes no sense at all. I really don't understand why he does that, its not like there isn't a channel devoted to the right wing.

I'd prefer an intelligent conversation without interruptions, and I don't mean a left wing wank fest. But my fav episodes were progressive people discussing ideas and coming up with conclusions. Its not like people on the left don't disagree about anything.

I've just had enough with the right wing Fox parrots who spout the same bullshit and stall the show until Bill goes to the terrible prop act just before the 4th guest awkwardly saunters out.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Gimmedaroot posted:

It would help to not have someone like Brietbart starting pointless arguements, and Bill pretending to give the other side a voice when they are really just an annoying disraction. Then Bill tells the audience to shut up, which makes no sense at all. I really don't understand why he does that, its not like there isn't a channel devoted to the right wing.

I'd prefer an intelligent conversation without interruptions, and I don't mean a left wing wank fest. But my fav episodes were progressive people discussing ideas and coming up with conclusions. Its not like people on the left don't disagree about anything.

I've just had enough with the right wing Fox parrots who spout the same bullshit and stall the show until Bill goes to the terrible prop act just before the 4th guest awkwardly saunters out.

He does so:

1) Out of respect for his guest

2) To keep from scaring off future conservative guests.

3) So the show doesn't get overtly hostile to dissenting viewpoints. It's nice to see them shouted down, but that's not really a "conversation".

Though I agree, the best shows are the ones where there aren't any conservative voices. It really has become the case where the only grown up debate is happening between people on the left.

Liberal 1: "We need a single payer system for all of us!" :eng101:

Liberal 2: "Now now. We can work within the existing system to provide the services needed." :crossarms:

Conservative: "DEATH PANNELS IN MA PUDDIN'!!!!1!!" :supaburn:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

Really? Why exactly?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Larry King sucks.

Lazio: "Blah blah talking point."
Bill: "But blah blah"
Lady: "Boy howdy, I'd love some Obamacock."
Larry King: "You know Bill, *really weird "joke"*"
Bill, Lazio, Lady, Audience: "... Ok moving on."

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Larry King seemed kinda useless in that panel, didn't he? What the hell was his show about if he can't participate in some political discourse?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Larry King seemed kinda useless in that panel, didn't he? What the hell was his show about if he can't participate in some political discourse?

He's doing some standup gig bullshit so all he did was try to be funny. He tries too hard to be neutral on everything, it adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Another liberal circle jerk, and god, Garafolo is loving annoying.

Jane Lynch was great though. I know she's lesbian, but I find myself strangely attracted to her.

New Rules weren't bad either.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

You'd think having her sit so far from Bill would be a clue for her to shut the gently caress up about nonsense.

"Fox is supporting this candidate"
"He's not even running"
"Well isn't everyone not running"
"YOU WERE NEVER FUNNY AND WORE A HOODIE TODAY"

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Yeah I gotta say I pretty much tuned out this week while watching it. The guy in the middle was pretty lame too. Just a pretty boring week. Oh well. Happens sometimes.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
If nothing else, it is certainly equal parts funny/sad that Maher's little read-in was actually the only way to get the actual "news" of the Weiner "news" on TV.

Seriously, the news gets to act extra super-aghast at something it can't even accurately articulate on air? So very ridiculous. Our bit in the annals might as well be "Quote such and such: *Beep*" at this rate.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
so-so episode, but with one of the best bits of the year sandwiched in there. That was just hosed up. You can't make that poo poo up. Jane Lynch, most of us liked you way before Glee :3:

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I enjoyed this episode. It was more comedy then topical. Kevin Nealon was very good and some of the points Bill brought up were pretty humorous.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Kevin Nealon was awesome. Holy poo poo he is funny.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ApexAftermath posted:

Kevin Nealon was awesome. Holy poo poo he is funny.

Pretty much the saving grace of the night.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I kinda liked his rant about the Texas governor.

God I love Kevin Nealon

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I laughed the hardest at Kevin's throw to a commercial. No idea why, he had stronger jokes in general but that hit the spot.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

-Atom- posted:

I laughed the hardest at Kevin's throw to a commercial. No idea why, he had stronger jokes in general but that hit the spot.

Yeah that one got me too. Wasn't he a weekend update anchor? Seemed like a callback to that. God he is funny.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Holy poo poo, Gretchen Hamel has the most disingenuous-sounding laugh. It's like one of those fake laughs people do to get a laugh. gently caress, was it grating. She, along with the NYT guy, were pretty useless. Chris Matthews at least adds some interesting interjections.

+1 to the fanbase for Kevil Nealon though. And as always, lots of respect for Mr. Kurzweil. I hate when the most interesting guy in the room is usually the first interview and then only seen in overtime. Maybe that's why they're interesting. Because they don't lose themselves in politics.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 18, 2011

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 21, 2012

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I'll let him know that his entire life's work is now useless because you said so. He'll have no choice but to retire.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

DVD Drive posted:

Actually, Kurzweil is an idiot.

I think Hofstadter has a better opinion on him, which I mostly agree with. Kurzweil has insane and ridiculous ideas as well as provocative and brilliant ideas, but he unfortunately mixes them together so much that it's difficult to figure out where the line between hard science and science fiction is. Some of his more radical transhumanist ideas do a pretty big disservice to a lot of the rigorous work he's done with technology.

Ror fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ror posted:

...where the line between hard science and science fiction is.
"Science Futurism!" :pseudo: