Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

RedSpider posted:

Trevor Noah is hot garbage who's never had an original thought in his life.

Don't sign your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Bass Bottles posted:

Don't sign your posts

I was Born A Crime though.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Bill Maher DESTROYS feminists; saracens; believers in germ theory

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!
There is no political correctness in comedy. You can make any joke you want to; the only caveat is it has to actually be funny. Bill Maher's sin wasn't saying "friend of the family" on television; his sin was saying it in a way that wasn't funny. And no, I don't know what the funny version of a joke where that word is the punchline looks like, nor will I until someone actually writes it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

There is no political correctness in comedy.

There is a line, it's just hard to see unless idiots like Michael Richards start to sledgehammer it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

And no, I don't know what the funny version of a joke where that word is the punchline looks like, nor will I until someone actually writes it.

when louis ck talked about calling a deer a human being oval office friend of the family it was pretty funny but there was a lengthy setup that revolved around the concept of the use-mention distinction

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I like Trevor Noah.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

There is no political correctness in comedy. You can make any joke you want to; the only caveat is it has to actually be funny. Bill Maher's sin wasn't saying "friend of the family" on television; his sin was saying it in a way that wasn't funny. And no, I don't know what the funny version of a joke where that word is the punchline looks like, nor will I until someone actually writes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9jB0arMBs

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Craptacular! posted:

There is a line, it's just hard to see unless idiots like Michael Richards start to sledgehammer it.

Yeah. But the line is whether or not it's funny, not whether or not it's appropriate.

You remember this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boBsEbFgJ4k ?

Every straight comedian in the 90's had a version of that impression, but now no one does it. Not because we as a society collectively decided it was inappropriate, but rather we've been hearing variations on that same joke for 50 years now and it's just not funny anymore.

Okay...that one's funny. Louis CK.

Gizmoduck_5000 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 5, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Poor Kathy Griffin, she and Andy Dick and Bill Maher should just play Russian Roulette so that eventually we're short two lovely comics and thus everyone wins.

RedSpider posted:

Wahhabism/right-wing Islam is arguably the most well financed extremist ideology on this planet, and the American military has been doing their dirty work in the Middle East on behalf of their oil for the last sixty years. Meanwhile, Richard Spencer gets his rear end beat in public by hippies wherever he goes.

Forgive me if I find the former more alarming.
I dunno, I hear that Christians have a lot of money - do Muslims even see tithing as a necessary thing? I've seen a hell of a lot of gold in both Catholic and Protestant churches.

Claiming that Islam is "arguably the most well financed extremist ideology on this planet" seems pretty far fetched, perhaps you're not aware of pro lifers who bomb womens' clinics, etc?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 5, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

coyo7e posted:

Claiming that Islam is "arguably the most well financed extremist ideology on this planet" seems pretty far fetched, perhaps you're not aware of pro lifers who bomb womens' clinics, etc?

Which pro-life bombers were funded by groups to carry out attacks?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

I dunno, I hear that Christians have a lot of money - do Muslims even see tithing as a necessary thing? I've seen a hell of a lot of gold in both Catholic and Protestant churches.

zakat's a central part of islam, but the means of collection differs by sect. among sunni nations it's generally considered an obligatory part of taxation

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

coyo7e posted:

The Saudis are using their oil money to spread Wahhabism through the world and to finance AQ/ISIL/other extremist "rebels" in countries that don't do what they want them to do (i.e. Syria refusing to let them build pipelines).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SeANMcBAY posted:

Which pro-life bombers were funded by groups to carry out attacks?
... Oh I'm sorry you only will accept atrocities formally funded and run by a distinct church?

https://adarapress.com/2015/05/15/roman-catholic-priests-ran-half-the-concentration-camps-in-croatia/

https://promoteliberty.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/catholic-extermination-camps/

I mean let's be frank, Catholics (Christians) have ben responsible for a hell of a lot of death. Not just molesting kids. I don't even know how many Crusades happened, they mainly run together except for the really exceptional ones... Children's Crusade, anybody?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Okay...that one's funny. Louis CK.

The extended cut is good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOwjtNEoRYg

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

ISIS pays a salary (which is not much, but more than they'd earn doing menial tasks) to disaffected young'uns and adults who can't get gainful employment anywhere else, and let them rape whomever/whenever they like which takes care of their repressed sexuality and not only adds compensation as a motivator, but sexual pleasure. Also, killing people is a whole lot more engaging and interesting than sitting around getting hosed over by ultra-corrupt governments.

the correct answer was "we invaded iraq".

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
i love when white comedians bust out the n word imo

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

coyo7e posted:

... Oh I'm sorry you only will accept atrocities formally funded and run by a distinct church?

https://adarapress.com/2015/05/15/roman-catholic-priests-ran-half-the-concentration-camps-in-croatia/

https://promoteliberty.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/catholic-extermination-camps/

I mean let's be frank, Catholics (Christians) have ben responsible for a hell of a lot of death. Not just molesting kids. I don't even know how many Crusades happened, they mainly run together except for the really exceptional ones... Children's Crusade, anybody?

Centrist #36328 (you) cites the crusades as a counter-argument to the issue of 21st century Wahhabism financed by the oil and gas trade. How original and insightful. :bravo:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

i love when white comedians bust out the n word imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKY6BGcx37k&t=923s

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

So is Ice Cube going to make Maher kiss his hairy rear end on live TV tomorrow South Park style for using the n-word?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The show is going to be so awkward tonight. Hopefully in an entertaining way.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

The show is going to be so awkward tonight. Hopefully in an entertaining way.

michael eric dyson plays the role of oprah as whitey absolver

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think Dyson was great, and Maher didn't take the opportunity he was given well at all. I don't think he hates black people, but I also don't think he understands the extent of his own privilege. It could've been a great starting point for an important conversation, Dyson threw the pitch right over the plate, and Maher whiffed on it big time.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

I think Dyson was great, and Maher didn't take the opportunity he was given well at all. I don't think he hates black people, but I also don't think he understands the extent of his own privilege. It could've been a great starting point for an important conversation, Dyson threw the pitch right over the plate, and Maher whiffed on it big time.

oh yeah he totally doesn't get it at all. the i grew up in an all white town in new jersey in the 50s, not alabama and we didn't see race bullshit was just sad

ice cube drove the point home a little better when he showed up though

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Ice Cube delivered. Shut Bill right the gently caress up, and gave Symone Sanders a great opening too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Bill just can't help defending himself. He wasted two great opportunities for reconciliation with Dyson and Ice Cube because, in his mind, he needed to defend the idea that he isn't racist when that was never the issue.

I think I get it: the senator said something bizarre and Maher's mind went to slavery and he took offense. What he didn't realize quickly enough is he isn't allowed to be offended in that way. If a black comedian had made the joke, it would have been pointing out the inherent racism in using the phrase "work in the fields" to them, but Maher isn't black so it doesn't work. He should have said "work in the fields, what is this? 1859?" and it would have made his point without wasting his :airquote: political capital. :airquote:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honestly, I think he hosed himself pretty hard this week -- worse than last week. Yeah, everyone makes a mistake, and he made a big one. But he had a week to think about it, reflect on why the thing he said was so hurtful toward black people, and three different, extremely on-point, intelligent, politically astute black people telling him exactly why what he did was unacceptable, and he hosed it up. At that point, it's no longer just a mistake in the heat of the moment.

I think he'll probably keep his show, though, since the important things were:

1) He did a flashy bad thing that attracted everyone's attention
2) He made a flashy apology for that bad thing

Sadly, the nuance of the situation, both this week and last week, is probably inconsequential, for better or worse for him personally.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PT6A posted:

reflect on why the thing he said was so hurtful toward black people

What he said wasn't funny. If he said...

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

"work in the fields, what is this? 1859?"

he still would be hurtful to black people in some respects because you're still in theory being reductive to 'the slavery experience' or whatever you want to call it. But it would have been funny, because conservative politicians have an optics problem with racism and you're pointing out it's the kind of verbage that racists use. Instead he slowly paced his way up to a "punchline" where he built up to using a 'forbidden' word at the end of his sentence. It was as if he expected sharp gasps from the audience and for Dyson to faint from just how real he was being.

He picked being edgy over being funny.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Bill makes a rape joke, it's okay. Makes a joke where he says "friend of the family", worst thing ever.

There is more to it than the loving word.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
"to which, every Trump beauty pageant contestant said, ‘welcome to our world".

I guess even a broken clock is right once in a while

RedSpider posted:

So is Ice Cube going to make Maher kiss his hairy rear end on live TV tomorrow South Park style for using the n-word?
Yes.

RedSpider posted:

Centrist #36328 (you) cites the crusades as a counter-argument to the issue of 21st century Wahhabism financed by the oil and gas trade. How original and insightful. :bravo:
Ignore the citations in lieu of bitching about a person half-rear end mentioning the crusades - as somehow being unfair to (you personally)..? Nice job there. I'm not even sure what feathers I ruffled but dayum

PT6A posted:

If you think anything Maher does is "flash" then I guess that rebel flag av fits

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 10, 2017

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007
Overtime was worth it just to find out how much David Gregory was down with Cube.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

PT6A posted:

Honestly, I think he hosed himself pretty hard this week -- worse than last week. Yeah, everyone makes a mistake, and he made a big one. But he had a week to think about it, reflect on why the thing he said was so hurtful toward black people, and three different, extremely on-point, intelligent, politically astute black people telling him exactly why what he did was unacceptable, and he hosed it up. At that point, it's no longer just a mistake in the heat of the moment.

I think he'll probably keep his show, though, since the important things were:

Sadly, the nuance of the situation, both this week and last week, is probably inconsequential, for better or worse for him personally.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

egoslicer posted:

Overtime was worth it just to find out how much David Gregory was down with Cube.

He legit seems like a real hip hop head.:lol:

It was pretty funny to see Bill think about pushing back against some of what Ice Cube was saying but then realize it would probably make poo poo worse and just shut up.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

It was pretty funny to see Bill think about pushing back against some of what Ice Cube was saying but then realize it would probably make poo poo worse and just shut up.

that's the thing; all he had to do was not push back at all. same with the opening interview with michael eric dyson

it was said earlier, but dyson gave him every possible out imaginable and all he had to do was stick with the apology and make no excuses for himself

ultimately none of it matters, his show will continue and most everyone will forget about it in a week

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think Bill apologized well enough and has realized his old 80's comedy circuit quotes are no longer appropriate even if they come out unplanned........remember that Bill grew up watching stuff like The Jerk and Blazing Saddles, both of which are unconforfortable now but definitely not racist or made by racists..........but would be completely inappropriate today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBJDz4ylQO0

...also a reminder how hot Bernadette Peters is/was/whatever. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjNIARQGIYA

Bill's old. I'm almost 49 and old too not Bill old but still we watched the hell out of these movies growing up and quoted them all the time.......

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Ice Cube did not want to be there. Holy cow.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

fart blood posted:

I didn't get that vibe at all and he stayed around for Overtime. :shrug:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SeANMcBAY posted:

He legit seems like a real hip hop head.:lol:

This is part of why he's poo poo. He cannot stop himself from talking over a black person who's trying to explain something he obviously only pays lip service to caring about. The bit about "some people know some black friends, they get too comfortable" was a spot-on killshot for a douchey "liberal elite" comedian 10 years past relevance.

fart blood posted:

He was being super gracious to Bill, sounds like they actually may be friends. But Bill still can't help correcting a black person when they're speaking about their own experience

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Bill interrupts people saying interesting things a lot so he can repeat stupid talking points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bass Bottles posted:

Bill interrupts people saying interesting things a lot so he can repeat stupid talking points

"Your opinion cannot compete with my arsenal of intern-scrawled *fact cards*!"