Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Last weeks was kinda weak, too, since out pretty much just played out as an excuse to make a fat joke at Rush.

And boogers, Bill? Come on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
I hate cornell west. He takes some really obvious truth liberals believe which you can say in one sentance and he turns it into a paragraph long rap poem.

and he intentionally dresses and talks like a homeless guy. Obnoxious.

bruckner fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 14, 2011

Erotic Punisher
May 5, 2009

by Ozma

bruckner posted:

I hate cornell west. He takes some really obvious truth liberals believe which you can say in one sentance and he turns it into a paragraph long rap poem.

and he intentionally dresses and talks like a homeless guy. Obnoxious.

I really don't like him either. Maybe some people really love rhetoric ? Alot of what he spouts is self help vanilla nonsense. He's the non-thinker's thinker.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Taibbi is on this week, yay! I just hope he's finally on the panel for once, instead of coming on halfway through the show.

Just bought Griftopia, will have to make sure I finish it before I watch the show this week.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 17, 2011

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe I'm crazy but wasn't Kerry Washington supposed to be on this week or last week? I remember seeing her name on a "Next Week Bill's guests include" list, but she wasn't on.

I know she's one of the more useless guests Bill has, but hey she's cute. V:shobon:V :colbert:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Anyone know what the guy yelling in the audience was saying? I couldn't make any of it out.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
Something about hellfire missiles, I think? I think he was being led out at some point so he kind of trailed off. I thought there was something about 9/11 conspiracy theory bullshit, but I'm not sure.

I really wish Maher wasn't such an islamophobic shithead. This is like the 4th time I've seen him bitch about, "those fuken uncivilized Arabs!!!" At least this time he didn't precede it with 20 minutes of complaining about how all the racists are on the right. Actually I just wish he wasn't a neoliberal rear end in a top hat. At least that guy from PBS was good :(

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Has anyone been able to view the Overtime segment? Show's been over for five minutes and it still hasn't come on.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Welp Kevin Smith still sweats like he's running a marathon while just having a conversation. He'll probably be a deflated sack by the end of this.

ZapRowsdower
Apr 2, 2009
That sounded EXACTLY like the guy who yelled about 9/11 truther stuff the first time. Eerily so. No way would they let him back in the building...maybe it's just a generic "white guy yelling" voice.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ZapRowsdower posted:

That sounded EXACTLY like the guy who yelled about 9/11 truther stuff the first time. Eerily so. No way would they let him back in the building...maybe it's just a generic "white guy yelling" voice.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who caught that.

BrianJ
Dec 7, 2005

Wish you were here

ts12 posted:

Something about hellfire missiles, I think? I think he was being led out at some point so he kind of trailed off. I thought there was something about 9/11 conspiracy theory bullshit, but I'm not sure.

I really wish Maher wasn't such an islamophobic shithead. This is like the 4th time I've seen him bitch about, "those fuken uncivilized Arabs!!!" At least this time he didn't precede it with 20 minutes of complaining about how all the racists are on the right. Actually I just wish he wasn't a neoliberal rear end in a top hat. At least that guy from PBS was good :(

Yeah it was some crazy 9/11 bullshit.

Countries under sharia law or some form of Islamic rule do not allow equal treatment of women that's just a fact Bill was pointing out, I think what he was saying was that if you protest for democracy due to oppression then you should stop the oppression of women and give them equal rights too. It's a fair point which shouldn't label the man an Islamaphobic shithead.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
When was the crazy guy in the audience? I skipped through some of it and didn't see it. Also; that Tavis Smiley guy kinda owns.

Edit: just saw it. Did he really sit through like 45 minutes just to go crazy at the end. :cmon:

err fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 19, 2011

Very Old Twink
Nov 3, 2005

I LOVE ALEX THE GRAPE

quote:

Jeremy Rothe-Kushel of WeAreChangeLA was just beaten and arrested for interrupting a live broadcast of the Real Time with Bill Maher television show. Video from the live broadcast clearly shows Jeremy screaming “That’s Battery! If you ask me to leave, I will leave on my own accord” There is no reason for his assault and illegal arrest.
WeAreChange LA have done this in response to last weeks Bill Mahers attack on the 911 truth movement.
This is actually the second time WeAreChange La has interrupted the Real Time with Bill Maher, last time gaining national attention for there actions when Bill Maher physically removed the activists.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5BJzEshMes

I heard something about Hellfire missiles, and later Maher said he would probably agree with the guy on that issue but it was not related to the topic.

I am privy to this cool internet press release because I liked Alex Jones on Facebook.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I started watching midway through the episode, and I saw Kevin Smith with a giant plate of food and I assumed he brought a snack.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

BrianJ posted:

Yeah it was some crazy 9/11 bullshit.

Countries under sharia law or some form of Islamic rule do not allow equal treatment of women that's just a fact Bill was pointing out, I think what he was saying was that if you protest for democracy due to oppression then you should stop the oppression of women and give them equal rights too. It's a fair point which shouldn't label the man an Islamaphobic shithead.

Pointing out the mistreatment of women in the Middle East is a very legitimate point, but his attitude regarding Muslims in general is frustratingly intolerant. I wish I remembered what episode it was, but it was a few months ago I think, around the election, and he spent a good half of the panel blasting the Tea Party panel member for being part of a movement that has a very large racist backing (something I actually agree with), but then the very first thing he said after the panel was, "I'm not a racist, but it scares me that the number one baby name last year was Mohammed, and I don't apologize for that." I'm paraphrasing a bit, but the subject content is the same. I understand that he's basically the rich version of a GBS atheist, but come on, what the gently caress makes you think you can attack someone else for racism and then say that?

I also think he's an rear end in a top hat for refusing to legitimately address Smiley when he (correctly) pointed out that gender disparity is just as alive and well in this country. Of course there is a difference in treatments between here and there, but that doesn't make America's treatment of women any less related to the conversation at hand.

Sorry for the rant, Maher just bugs me so much because he's really a terrible debater and he holds some really reprehensible views. At least he wasn't the lady arguing that public sector employees give up their rights to fair wages and unionization in favor of job security because :lol:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

God, I felt like punching that oval office from CNBC in the face the entire episode. Blatantly shilling for the richest douchebags out there, and saying the only alternative is communism. :bang:

I really wish Taibbi would get on the panel sometime, instead of being a stand-alone guest...

richardfun fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 19, 2011

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
CNBC is trash. I can't believe there are still people defending the Laffer Curve who have a major voice in the media of economics.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

richardfun posted:

God, I felt like punching that oval office from CNBC in the face the entire episode. Blatantly shilling for the richest douchebags out there, and saying the only alternative is communism. :bang:

Yea, me too.

NJersey fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 20, 2017

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

CNBC is trash. I can't believe there are still people defending the Laffer Curve who have a major voice in the media of economics.

She's even worse on overtime... Ugh

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

TLG James posted:

She's even worse on overtime... Ugh

Time for me to head over to the Real Time website for some more cringing then.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
The 4th panel member pop-in is the worst part of the show. Sometimes the one-on-one interviews are pretty sketchy but there's a fairly good success/failure ratio. The 4th panel member has worked out once in recent memory with Colbert's Physicist buddy. The rest of the time it ranges from mediocre but pointless (Friends guy) to weak and detrimental like Kevin Smith or Martin Short. They've got nothing useful to say and seem to amuse Maher more than the audience. It breaks up the flow of the panel worse than the prop segment and sometimes the show just does not recover from the loss of momentum

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

RevBabyKiller posted:

The 4th panel member pop-in is the worst part of the show. Sometimes the one-on-one interviews are pretty sketchy but there's a fairly good success/failure ratio. The 4th panel member has worked out once in recent memory with Colbert's Physicist buddy. The rest of the time it ranges from mediocre but pointless (Friends guy) to weak and detrimental like Kevin Smith or Martin Short. They've got nothing useful to say and seem to amuse Maher more than the audience. It breaks up the flow of the panel worse than the prop segment and sometimes the show just does not recover from the loss of momentum

Maher must've been baked out of his mind when he asked Kevin Smith to come on this week. Jesus christ, that guy is a complete waste of time and space on the show...

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

NJersey posted:

Yea, me too. But drat would I love to motorboat those funbags of hers.

Tavis Smiley redeemed.

That was a fantastic episode just for all the crazy poo poo that happened and nice debating. If this isn't one of the best episodes of the season then we are in for a good season.

Bill did acknowledge Smiley about the treatment of women. Of course Bill doesn't think that women are treated 100% fairly here (and neither are men for that matter). They both have valid points. Democracy in the middle east is hosed from the get go if they don't have a sexual revolution. It's true though. Women's rights will follow democracy. But some countries are so far behind that it's easy to tell them to make this big jump because they look absolutely ridiculous in some respects.

I appreciate Kevin Smith just for the comedic addition and the supreme awkwardness he brought. Look how nervous he was when his dick jokes didn't exactly go over well. The look on the panel was priceless.

I agree with some points about public employee unions. In Toronto, the workers union on the Toronto Transit Commission makes a big hubbub every few years about going on strike. It's like loving clockwork. They can literally make triple collecting fares than what someone makes working at Starbucks running around and fetching coffee all day. The bus drivers can more than double what other drivers make in the next city over. The city is completely hosed when they do go on strike. They get significant rasises every time their contracts are renewed and then fares have to go up to compensate. Why? Who else is getting this kind treatment?

Then you have the teachers union in the US who can't fire idiots. You have to diddle a 10-year-old to be fired. Incompetence is not enough.

I don't agree with her about healthcare. It's not like I researched it, but I'd rather trust the guy who did a lot of his own research and wrote the book about the financial collapse and had some intelligent points to make.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 20, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's Canada though. Here, if you work for the government you will get paid worse than in the private sector. The benefits are good and somewhat make up for this; if you get rid of those there is absolutely no reason to work in the public sector unless you're so passionate and well-off that it doesn't matter you're getting paid for poo poo. But the Republicans have managed to convince everyone that working for the government is a free ride to awesome pay for no actual effort. The only people who actually are in that situation are the assholes the Republicans support.

I agree that teachers unions make it too hard to get rid of bad teachers, but that is the rearranging deck chairs part of education reform. There are much bigger problems, such as teachers getting paid dick in most places. You wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with bad teachers if the salary was high enough to attract more qualified people into teaching.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Taibbi has a new article online, enticingly titled Why isn't Wall Street in jail. If you're a bit of a masochist like me, and like feeling like your head is about to explode, I highly recommend it.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I watched "The Inside Job" before the show not expecting it to be about the same thing, but it was a good primer for what most of the show's discussion was about. Disgusting, really. These executives could be targeted for assassinations and 99% of Americans would secretly be happy about it.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Dudebro posted:

Then you have the teachers union in the US who can't fire idiots. You have to diddle a 10-year-old to be fired. Incompetence is not enough.

Unionized teachers can be fired like anyone else but due process has to be adequately demonstrated, i.e. a reason has to be given and evidence presented. In at-will states like any other employee teachers can get shitcanned without having to be given a reason.

Grand Fromage posted:

That's Canada though. Here, if you work for the government you will get paid worse than in the private sector.

It's a little more complicated than that. For what few jobs there exists a direct comparison between public and private sector, such as janitors, the pay for public sector is higher counting benefits and pension. But that's because 36% of public sector employees are unionized compared to about 7% in the private sector. High skill public sector workers, anything requiring college degrees, are underpaid compared to the private sector. At the federal level those make up a very slight majority of jobs compared to less than a quarter of private sector jobs, so federal employee wages are higher comparatively. However, at the state and local level, where high skill jobs are in the minority, the average wage is about $22,000/year. Likewise over a third of public sector employees are over 50 compared to less than a quarter in the private sector, and pay raises in the public sector are mainly determined by time in service, often guaranteed by law.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 20, 2011

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
Reading Shooting the Hippo by Linda McQuaid right now. It's about the banking industry colluding with business and government in Canada to keep inflation at an artificially low level despite knowing (and partly because) it raises unemployment. Higher unemployment means people ask for fewer wage increases and are less sure of their positions and thus less likely to cause problems for the powers that be. It's a really good read and helped me gain a little more insight into the kind of thing that's going on across the US right now with politicians more than willing to allow the sacrifice index of unemployed people to rise as it helps push the anti-worker's rights agenda.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

My god new rules was awful. Kevin Smith was awful. And that CNBC bitch was so awful I want to drill a hole in her head and shove an immersion blender in there - it might make her think better.

Even Bill was pretty horrible with his rant about muslims. :ughh:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

IRQ posted:

My god new rules was awful. Kevin Smith was awful. And that CNBC bitch was so awful I want to drill a hole in her head and shove an immersion blender in there - it might make her think better.

Even Bill was pretty horrible with his rant about muslims. :ughh:

Taibbi was pretty much this episode's saving grace. I still want to see him on the panel sometime though. He would've been great as a counter to that Randian mong from CNBC.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I just watched The Inside Job. I've read quite a bit on the financial crisis in the last two years but this movie perfectly illuminates the causes of the financial crisis, and identifies the coke-fueled assholes responsible. It's educational, infuriating and capable of driving any sane person homicidal.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a brain aneurysm...

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Real Time with Matt Taibi has a certain ring to it.

Spaticus
Feb 26, 2007

Understanding what thread you're in is futile the monkey said as it double-clicked the report button.
Matt Taibi was the only reason to watch this episode.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

ts12 posted:

Pointing out the mistreatment of women in the Middle East is a very legitimate point, but his attitude regarding Muslims in general is frustratingly intolerant. I wish I remembered what episode it was, but it was a few months ago I think, around the election, and he spent a good half of the panel blasting the Tea Party panel member for being part of a movement that has a very large racist backing (something I actually agree with), but then the very first thing he said after the panel was, "I'm not a racist, but it scares me that the number one baby name last year was Mohammed, and I don't apologize for that." I'm paraphrasing a bit, but the subject content is the same. I understand that he's basically the rich version of a GBS atheist, but come on, what the gently caress makes you think you can attack someone else for racism and then say that?

Race =/= religion.

The teabaggers hate black people. Bill Maher hates Muslims. He doesn't hate brown people.

Is it really that hard to understand? Religion is a choice, skin color is not. Bill Maher is intolerant of intolerance, as he put it; and Islam is without a doubt the worst major religion on the planet today in regards to its followers and their support of basic human rights. Is there a single Muslim majority country you'd want to live in over a Christian-based religion majority country? ...That's what I thought.

ts12 posted:

I also think he's an rear end in a top hat for refusing to legitimately address Smiley when he (correctly) pointed out that gender disparity is just as alive and well in this country. Of course there is a difference in treatments between here and there, but that doesn't make America's treatment of women any less related to the conversation at hand.

He wasn't addressing Smiley because Tavis had a bullshit argument. Just because Americans are guilty of sexism doesn't mean they can't criticize others who carry it out to such an extreme degree. The West has made some impressive progress in regards to gender equality; the Middle East... not so much.

richardfun posted:

I really wish Taibbi would get on the panel sometime, instead of being a stand-alone guest...

What were you expecting from a right-winger? Logical, compassionate arguments?

If she wasn't shilling for the richest douchebags out there she'd be a liberal. You can't have "balance" without allowing this trash on your show; if they only allowed reasonable people on the show it'd just be a left-wing circlejerk every week.

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

They have good documentaries but their normal programming is pretty terrible corporate shilling.

Then again, what do expect from a financial channel?

Dudebro posted:

I watched "The Inside Job" before the show not expecting it to be about the same thing, but it was a good primer for what most of the show's discussion was about. Disgusting, really. These executives could be targeted for assassinations and 99% of Americans would secretly be happy about it.

Somehow I doubt that when the reason these douchebags are so rich and powerful is because the majority of the American population votes in this kind of corruption gleefully over and over.

Most Americans think that they too will be one of those rich douchebags some day so they consistently vote in politicians who push policies that favor the wealthy. It's that whole "American dream" bullshit. No other country brainwashes its citizens into thinking everyone's going to strike it rich some day.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Every time Tavis Smiley talked I felt like he was just shilling for an empathy slow clap, because otherwise he was completely off base and sticking to his point when it in no way shape or form could be comparable to what Bill was saying. Bill was never trying to say we are perfect or things are perfectly fine here, but you'd be insane to say things weren't much worse in a Muslim country. We living in a country that is better off can't criticize another until we're at 100% equality?

To steal from Adam Carolla's commentary on the episode, just because we're at 92% and they're at 2% it does not mean we are the same/just as bad.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
No one had anything to say about the last episode?

I guess I will: boy, that TC Boyle seems like a weird fellow. His interview segment just felt awkward as all hell.

And he's 62? Well darn, he does look good for his age.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
This show is awful why do I keep watching it

Maher calls the Quran a book full of hate, is a tremendous piece of poo poo once again, devolves into "brown people!! :argh:" rant
Tea Party representatives fall back on "Collective bargaining isn't in the constitution!!!!!", say more retarded poo poo

Just loving kill me now

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I can understand that Maher doesn't like religion in general, but why's he always have to be such a willfully ignorant racist shitbag when it comes to Islam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bango skank posted:

Man, I can understand that Maher doesn't like religion in general, but why's he always have to be such a willfully ignorant racist shitbag when it comes to Islam?

When it comes to most things Maher is a willfully ignorant shitbag, he just knows his audience real well. Him having a show is actually rather unfortunate as he is along the same lines as the Fox News pundits when it comes to sophistication. He's not all that much unlike Fox News pundits aside from his show not professing to be actual news or being on a news channel. His islamophobia (and his dumbass vaccination paranoia) is just what trips the bullshit detector real hard because for the most part he tends to parrot the views of the pathetic mess that accounts for the mainstream US "left."