Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can't tell if Ann was being serious or just trolling or both.

Also I did some slight research on here (since I've hardly heard of her before, and some of the poo poo she says is unbelievable.

"In 1960, whites were 90 percent of the country. The Census Bureau recently estimated that whites already account for less than two-thirds of the population and will be a minority by 2050. Other estimates put that day much sooner. One may assume the new majority will not be such compassionate overlords as the white majority has been. If this sort of drastic change were legally imposed on any group other than white Americans, it would be called genocide. Yet whites are called racists merely for mentioning the fact that current immigration law is intentionally designed to reduce their percentage in the population."

I mean what the gently caress? Should I get mad at this? Laugh at this? Face palm this?

She is a polemicist, arguing for things she doesn't believe just to get people angry. I dismiss her as an intellectual and put the bread in the oven to make dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

JerkyBunion posted:

I can't imagine how they somehow manage to constantly get their message out with an influence outsized relevant to their actual size. Why, that would almost take the neverending funding of a pair of massive billionaire whack jobs.

Although in that particular point, he was right. Government belongs to those who show up. In 2008, it was overwhelmingly democrats and hopetards. In 2010, it was overwhelmingly mouth-breathing gently caress-you-got-miners. The democrats and the hopetards didn't show up in 2010 because the President and the Congress that campaigned for years under the moniker of actual change turned out to be the exact same people they were in the previous 6 of 7 administrations.

No, sadly, Bill is right. The American people are getting exactly what they deserve.

There was a link I read from Andrew Sullivan that said it only takes 10% of a population to believe something to get the other 90% to adopt it/take it seriously. That is the only reason I can think of why someone would no think the tea party is full of crap.

http://scienceblog.com/46622/minority-rules-scientists-discover-tipping-point-for-the-spread-of-ideas/

quote:

Scientists at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have found that when just 10 percent of the population holds an unshakable belief, their belief will always be adopted by the majority of the society.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

SERIOUS posted:

He was GREAT tonight. The worst part was when he was trying to explain to the blonde lady that she was wrong and she just kept repeating "OBAMA DOUBLED THE DEFICIT IT'S A FACT :downs:" and he handled himself like a pro.

It's a shame he can never run for office again because he liked hookers. :(

EDIT: Also, my biggest gripe is when tea partiers say "We were against Bush's spending too!" and I'm glad Bill called them out on that bullshit line.

My biggest gripe is that they claim to be all about deficit hawks yet most of the state level legislation is about god gays and guns.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

err posted:

The Tea Party idiot was dodging Maher's basic questions about Republican ideology. I did laugh at the internet comment segment though.

Somewhat off-topic, but has Krugman ever been on the panel?

Yes and the first time he was so shy/pissed off that he didn't say much. He has been on since and been better.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

The episode that just had Michael Moore and Tom Morello on was a cavalcade of crap. Jane Harman displayed a great reminder of how terrible she was in office. The guy who used to work for Giuliani said you can't blame America at all for what happened to 9/11 and was not interested in having an adult conversation about it. Michael Moore as much as I love him made a bunch of strawmen arguments because the other two panelists had nothing of substance to say.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

pkd88 posted:

I am pretty sure Bill self identifies as an atheist and a rationalist. They are the same thing. Am I wrong?

You can be one without being the other.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

Yes. Holy christ I just got home and I am right in the middle of this. Rudest person I have ever seen on the show. She needs to shut her loving mouth when other people are trying to talk. This is the worst I've seen. I don't want to hear anything else she has to say now. Who is this loser?

Wait Kennedy the former MTV VJ?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

I kind of doubt it. GOP politics so often these days find themselves on the wrong side of the facts that they have become professional deniers. They have staked their claim on their version of the truth so hard that they can no longer back down when presented with actual facts because their ability to save face is more important than truth. Either that or they know they are lying and simply do not care because they know GOP voters just want to be told what they want to believe and not how things really are.

It's a phenomenon that when you are confronted with facts that should change your opinion you actually dig in deeper and believe it more. It's why conspiracy theorists can never be convinced.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Worst panelists discussion has gone on too long with mention of Stephen Moore from the WSJ.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Former Human posted:

Reagan actually increased taxes 11 times

I pointed this out to a Reagan apologist once and was told that it doesn't count as an increase because he raised them back to the levels they were at before he cut them. :psyduck:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

az posted:

Is Kuban a republican? He always struck me as a democrat.

Mark Cuban plays the middle. He has donated to Orrin Hatch and admires Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Vhy posted:

David Simon was on last week. Last night was a couple of partisan hacks and a lady from the Economist who doesn't understand money.

Chris Hayes, a centrist woman from the Economist and I think Dennis Hastert's former chief of staff.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Zogo posted:

Bill said something last night about this being the week that "Romney lost the election." I don't think he ever had a chance really.

Obama easily dominates Romney in total receipts and total disbursements: http://www.fec.gov/data/CandidateSummary.do?format=html&election_yr=2012

I've heard whoever leads in those categories usually wins. Although I can't find any comprehensive data on this.

Do those totals include SuperPAC money?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Fentry posted:

Unrelated to his show but Bill just tweeted his phone number, whoops!

He did not text me back. :smith:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

If Bill Maher is going to host a panel show he needs to jump in and tell people to shut the gently caress up when it devolves into people just talking over each other.

He needed to do that about 40 times this episode and mostly just sat there.

Shep Smith is fairly level headed too from what I've seen.

There was an episode of PI that had Barney Frank and some black republican woman who kept sniping over inside the beltway stuff nobody could possibly care about and Bill told them so.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Watching the clips on mediaite this morning and S.E. Cupp is insanely annoying and makes me glad I didn't watch it live because it would have made me hurt my TV.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ExiledTinkerer posted:

IIRC, the lady in the middle wasn't always tied to The Blaze...though for the life of me I can't recall what her prior gig was. Something on radio perhaps?

She was a speechwriter for former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

comes along bort posted:

Yeah you'd think for as long as he'd been at it his understanding of issues would be past the drunk freshman poli sci student stage.

Enjoyed SE Cupp talking out her rear end about mass shootings declining, since they're about the same as they've been for decades, if you include mass shootings which occur in the commission of other crimes and not just spree murders, despite all other gun violence and homicides declining.

I am just gonna take a hunch and say SE Cupp read the same study in the Atlantic blog today that I did because that's what it said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

For those of you who loathe Bill Maher or just like to see audiences boo his lovely jokes he decided to do George Zimmerman material on Letterman last night. It went about as well as you expect.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-mahers-zimmerman-jokes-draw-series-of-boos-from-david-letterman-crowd-2/

quote:

Letterman began by noting that Maher was a partial owner of the New York Mets. Maher corrected him and noted that he was only a “minority owner.”

“Better than being a minority in Florida,” Maher joked.

The crowd reacted to Maher’s joke with a chorus of boos.

“Why are they booing?” Maher reacted.

“You know they want to give George Zimmerman a gun now,” the HBO host continued. “The Florida state law is that he can get his gun back. I say, if he gets a gun, Casey Anthony gets a baby.”

More boos. Letterman peered at the crowed and looked at his watch for effect. At this point, the host and guest changed subjects.