Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I really think Rowe is less "the answer to everything is taking dirty jobs!" and more "we should, as a culture, see people who do dirty jobs as normal, respectable people, and maybe a good number of kids wouldn't be so loving lost if we did so." But to get attention in the US, where folks like to have simple answers, you have to act like your issue is the One True Issue, and you can see in this episode that he's painfully trying to stop short of that.

Aside: did Cornell West always laugh at everything before? Maher is horribly unfunny at times, and he's still givin' up high fives, even on stuff he probably doesn't really agree with. Still love the guy, though. Hope whatever the deal is with that scarf isn't hiding something too nasty, the man's a treasure.

edit: seriously, half of Maher's humor belongs in small-time Vegas lounges in the 1980's, or a Leisure Suit Larry game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well, it was sort of Cenobite Chic. What I like is how she basically ignored the question, "Hey, shouldn't students get the same low low interest rate that banks do?" and instead started talking about a peripheral talking point that landed better within her world view.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

comes along bort posted:

The show is funniest when Maher's written material completely tanks and the audience turns on him.

The best part was him teeing up some hacky joke about the wacky Chinee with that photo of the old guys hunched over with brooms then Eddie Huang totally shutting it down by giving the actual mundane explanation.

He didn't even let him clear the runway. It was great.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Things just aren't going Bill's way these days. Probably #whinylittlebitch isn't getting the traction he'd prefer.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ApexAftermath posted:

I like how that 16 year old kid demonstrated exactly the thing that is the problem, gets called on it, and basically says "nah brah let me finish" and then says more bullshit rehearsed emotionally rousing speech. I'm glad Bill was kind of holding his feet to the fire.

Much as I'd like to agree with you about a kid whose gonna get more scootch than you or I at any age, he did just fine in the interview, and pretty darn good in Overtime. Was he scrambling, was he bullet point making, yep. But still not bad.

Until his sex scandal at 23.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ApexAftermath posted:

Did anyone understand why Bill told that guy "THIS IS A LIVE SHOW" at the beginning? I couldn't hear anything beyond normal laughing.
Maher was on Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee show and Seinfeld basically said, "Your show doesn't need to be live," and Bill got a little salty about it. I guess it's a big deal to him that the show is live.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

For some reason, Bill doesn't like Overtime, maybe because he can't interrupt it with a 7 minute joke stream, maybe because YouTube isn't show business enough.

The podcast also adds in a joke reel that sounds like it's his monologue in front of a warmup audience, so you get to hear most of the same jokes you've already heard, but with less laughter, and some jokes you didn't hear in the broadcast, and less laughter for those as well.

I wish the format would go McLaughlin group style just once to see what it's like, where there's less shouting over things and more actual debate and no jokes, but that's stupid, I can just watch that Dana Carvey SNL skit at any time, and it's probably topical enough. Patty Patty Buke Buke!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Immortan posted:

Trump is better than Hillary and you need to vote for him after proof surfaced of Hillary, the DNC, and the media coordinated to sabotage Bernie's campaign. She doesn't care about democracy at all

Just a couple things she might be better for are international politics and nominating SCOTUS judges. I guess I'd rather have Emperor Palpatine over Jar Jar Binks.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Here are some things that were said in this episode, at least as far as I can remember:
  • Trump is a stooge in collusion with the Russians
  • President Trump is a fascist, supported by fascists, and will lead this country into fascism, similar to Hitler
  • We will be electing President Trump (or perhaps a successive string of Trumps) for life, as he will be unwilling to release the reins of power
  • Russian meddling in the electoral process is a huge story that deserves massive ongoing coverage
I keep hearing about how we're witnessing the breakdown of the Republican party, but I swear I'm also watching Bill's too. It's almost Beckian.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think you're being a bit hysterical, but I will admit that I don't think anything I've seen so far leads me to be able to guess what he'd do in situations that require any kind of finesse. So he'd either avoid them completely, sending in surrogates, or bluster through them like an rear end in a top hat and rely on a fixit team until it becomes clear to even him he should straighten up, or he'd try to be less of an rear end in a top hat. Although I think he'd reason, whatever the outcome, that it was the smartest Art of the Deal kinda thinking anyone coulda done, and it was great, just great.

And I think the folks who want him to win, a lot of them crave that randomness and chaos more than they would strict authoritarianism. I wouldn't rule out lovely ratings and a sort of popular revolt (by constituencies or congress) during his rule if he turns out to be super fascist.

disclaimer: I don't really know poo poo.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 6, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Vodos posted:

Because they used every trick in the book to keep independents (who massively favored Sanders) out of the primaries (switching their registrations to Republican, dropping their registrations, training poll workers to give them provisional ballots instead of proper ballots).

That's super nasty. Is there a credible article summing this up? Serious question.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder if Bill's gonna be a little introspective tonight or just wag his finger at the voters who let him down.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh I forgot to whine about something else. What the hell was the deal with Maher saying it was totally fine to gut the Department of Education because it's only been around since 1980? That is one of the dumbest arguments in favor of getting rid of a cabinet agency I've ever heard. The EPA was created just a few years before that. Should we get rid of that too? I was honestly stunned that he was making that argument.

Bill Maher is a lifelong bachelor and doesn't care about kids or families.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Krycek posted:

Republicans have to have a hype man at the top of their ticket. It's the only way to get votes because people sure as gently caress don't buy into republican policies. They need a figure head to distract the public while the Dick Cheneys and Steve Bannons run the show behind the scenes.

If republicans ran on the issues and were honest about what they want for the country, they'd never win another election ever again.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

precision posted:

Alex Jones honestly doesn't have very much money, and what his empire does have really does come from all those "documentaries" he shills. He probably also has quite a bit stashed from when he was tight with Rodriguez and Linklater (back when he was still "almost making a point"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJXspT2VtOE

"Two management teams bidding for the CEO position of Slavery Incorporated" :vince:

Cartoon Colin Hanks gettin' worked up there

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bill Maher buddy and show guest Sam Harris interviewed a dude who wrote a book on 20th century nutbag dictator movements that might shed some light on the damage in progress and yet to be done*: https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/the-road-to-tyranny

tl;dr It's not "just Trump" per se but the dude is the big orange pimple head on top of a volcano of nonsense that's kinda scary and disgusting to people with an attention span and a moral compass.

*It's also not interrupted with unfunny comic bits and plugs for Las Vegas shows.

edit: there's also this (Brooke Gladstone is great) https://www.wnyc.org/story/trouble-reality

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Not to mention the amount of public discussion (such as it is) occurs so much on corporate-owned and controlled content platforms that are tooled for constant "engagement" with the goal of funneling constant user activity into whatever can make a buck or tickle a shareholder's balls. (Unless that's also/exactly what you're talking about.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That New Rules was pretty entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mDl8GqRxuw

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is the current goal of the thread to be dumber than the average panel on late night talk show "Real Time with Bill Maher?"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Scaramucci is like that lower-tier bully on the playground who gets bullied himself and is even more of a shithead than the bigger dude. Just rapid fire trash comin' out that no one on the panel seemed to have immunity to.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At least people who drank radioactive water did so after being deliberately misled by quacks and advertising. Tide pods are advertised as tide pods.

I guess some day we'll look down on smokers for being so dumb as to breathe fire into their bodies and be shocked that the tobacco companies lied to them about health risks.

That day is 30 years ago.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

it's definitely time for candy cigarettes with tide pod filling

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Solvent posted:

I’ll keep watching, but the show seems really shark jumpy since last season.
I get the sense that Trump has made Maher lose his bearings and he just treats the show as combo of him yellin' at clouds and a way to promote his Las Vegas shows.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Does it come from being an old comic? Comics live half their existence on social media these days, hell, so do celebrities. Being an old with so many youngs on the internet can't be easy. Hell, I tried to give Twitter a shot and it seemed less like a conversation place than a promotion platform mostly for nobodies, a few somebodies, and everyone tryin' to be hella smart or sell themselves harder than the next guy. Whole thing is motivated by an economy of attention. Probably frustrates the dude, when the dumbest edgy sayings and most hurt dipshits get as much attention as his carefully crafted comedy and political philosophy does.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"Sanction Russian jerks, because it hurts them."

"Boycotting celebrity jerks is morally wrong! Also, someone tried to do it to me once."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mastajake posted:

Lol at Bill trying to say Hogg calling for a boycott is “finding a loophole” in the 1st amendment.

"doing an end run" is what he said, but it's about the same thing and about equally stupid of him to say.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bill Maher is showbiz, and you want to stay friends in showbiz. OTOH, if there’s somewhere else a guy like the good senator can be let out enough fool rope to hang himself with, plus some more robust debate and fewer applause lines, I’d watch it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I’ll have to watch it again, but I got the impression that Bannon was relatively easy to interview since he understands that there’s no need to disguise his views or motivations. Everything’s a sounding board for the guy. I also don’t think he answered Bill’s question on who the primary threat is in the Democratic Party, but that’s ok because there isn’t any.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zogo posted:

I'm reminded of this at the moment:

Behold the destiny of history.
Oh hey it's the movies Pearl Harbor and The Patriot.

I'm sure you're talking about popular American memory there. On one hand I'd guess that European and Chinese memories of WWI or II are a bit more detailed, but I've also seen signs that they have been and are currently undergoing heavy cultural 'editing' to serve the current needs of whoever is holding power or rising in power.

I don't have enough background in history to know how older civilizations conceived of their wars, disasters, and other stuff, and I'd guess it's probably also heavily edited and mythologized. I guess what's dismaying about what we do today is--with our idealism and ability to edit history as it happens--we should be facing it more dead-on and somehow learning to evolve from it, but instead just use our cultural reach and technology to wrap ourselves in tighter, more numerous layers of myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Think I’m gonna be sittin this season out, first ep was a real stinker. See you after Mahers next two month long hiatus.