Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
No mention of Kennedy's best blurt?

"Oh oh and global warming isn't caused by humans, it's sun spots. SUN SPOTS."

She shouted that last nugget of disinformation in just as they were switching topics, I was hoping Bill would call her out on that.

Well, lookey-loo. Someone from Reason magazine is an insufferable rear end in a top hat? Well I never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Wooty posted:

I give Conservative Eyebrow Man a pass this week. He behaved himself and he was the only one on his side.
Indeed I let out of "Ah, gently caress" when I saw him on the panel, but he was definitely more subdued this visit. He's been insufferable* on past panels.

Even if he didn't have horrible opinions though, his manner of speaking - extremely quicky, emphasizing every second word with jutting head movements, those goddamn eyebrows - he's just a difficult individual to listen to/watch when speaking. He could read a bedtime story with a toddler and make it sound as if he was imparting nuclear launch codes.

*Edit - not Kennedy-levels of insufferable, natch.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Former Human posted:

They talked about Breitbart on Overtime in the context of Matt Taibbi's eulogy.
Speaking of which...

Feeling too good lately? Too much trust in your fellow man? Just skip down to Matt's addendum to the story and the resulting comments.

You're welcome.

I'm also available to kick anyone in the nuts.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Welp watching this for 5 mins so far and sweet jesus, it's that awful prick from Reason.

This is going to be awful isn't it

edit: I have to admit, Maddow is *extremely* angry in this episode. It's awkward.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 24, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

David Frum and David Stockman are two conservatives who are capable of having a reasonable discussion about how their beliefs differ from Maher's without driving the show into the ground. Reihan Salam is a tea party idiot who ruins every panel he's on without fail.
Not sure if he's a complete tea party ideologue, but his personality is just so incredibly grating any panel he's on is going to be dogshit. Aggressively shouting and talking at 200wpm significantly devalues any cogent points you have; if you suck at communicating in the chosen medium that's uh...rather detrimental to group conversation.

Agreed that Maher was really reaching with finding racism in that GOP ad though.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 18, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

ExiledTinkerer posted:

This week would've been fantastic if not for the jackass from The Blaze
Squint a little and I could not tell him apart from Tucker Carlson; in appearance, mannerisms, political thought and general douchiness. Christ what a deplorable little poo poo.

The gall you have to have to position yourself as the "reasonable" one against the environmentalist who has consistently been proven correct and who's "opinions" are backed up by massive scientific evidence is just nauseating. I love "Well you're saying the climate is changing - I hope it is it changes all the time" little snip, right in the middle of where he's trying to "clarify" the debate was unbelievable. That's not the argument you ignorant gently caress, it's that the rate of change will be far too quick for us to acclimatize to (if even possible) without massive social upheaval and death.

Yes, we can't 'know for certain' what will happen for a 100 years on many, many scientific theories/hypotheses. When I can't fully grasp the complexities of the subject, I defer to those specialized in the field, with decades of research, education and overwhelming agreement to perform the analysis. Recognizing that there are large groups of people who do, in fact, have a much firmer understanding of the subject is not "choosing a side" you swarmy little twat, it's recognizing your own limitations, which everyone on the planet does for a multitude of positions but reject with climate science because...climate scientists get funding from the government, so they're biased.

Also, his "Why is NOW the optimal time?" - it's not. Decades ago would have been the optimal time to confront this, the reason the urgency is ramped up is because the situation is urgent, largely due to odious little men like this guy who actively fight against scientific consensus because it's politically expedient.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Edit: Oh, nevermind. That's who McHale is.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 17, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

watt par posted:

Yes, dear, as the daughter of a billionaire from inheritance who has no accomplishment of your own yet inexplicably you're put on tv because I guess the idle wealthy aren't heard from enough you are indeed the voice of the millennial generation. Why don't you and Tits McCain go form a think tank with all your big ideas I'm sure you guys like seriously stayed up all night thinking real hard on.
She's apparently the "Host and producer at HuffPost Live, and political commentator on MSNBC, CNN and ABC News". So reason #2,454,3434 to hate the Huffington Post and mainstream political punditry. Everything about her, from her appearance to her talking points just resembles something shat out of a factory assembly line.

Louis CK put it best when he was on O&A savaging Brooke Hogan's awful attempt at a music career: "It's just...people that are so far away from actually mattering. She's a wad of her fathers grown-up cum, so now we all have to listen to her and pretend like she has talent".

Her response to Bill quoting the NASA scientist on the environmental dangers of the Keystone pipeline:

"But when you eat, when you fly in a plane, when you drive a car, we're all taking a risk!"
:stare:

gently caress her especially for interrupting Bernie while he was presenting actual statistics on social security (in his first response that was all of 10 seconds long at that point) with "I'll just jump in here for the voice of the younger generation...", and proceeds to basically say "Congress is bad. Debt is bad".

Useless, soulless empty loving husk of a human being.

Of course, a paragon of wit and virtue compared to the lipless shitstain himself:

GLOBAL COOLING GLOBAL COOLING GLOBAL COOLING

I didn't post a picture of him smiling because I have no reason to hate you all quite that much.

Expected the show to fuel my workout, didn't disappoint.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Did it get any better after they discussed social security?
Not really, although Maher had one of his more competent New Rules, where he called out the libertarians who write to him complaining he's not a "true" libtard. Basically said he doesn't identify as a libertarian anymore because they've become Ayn Rand cultists and basically insane.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

comes along bort posted:

They were both fairly subdued so it wasn't too bad. Could've been far worse.

On the "my old job" gag, the joke is being a comedian with a news panel show is more prestigious. It's verbal irony.

Uh, no. He uses it for jobs that are more prestigious as well (Head of Nasa, My Old Job...). It's simply a tired old, "That isn't something you think I would have done!" joke.

Simply a joke run into the ground, much like when he stops, stares at the audience and reacts as if their silence is due to being offended rather than the material being poo poo.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Well that was boring as gently caress. Not even S.E. Cupp brought her a-game tonight. I was expecting her to be entertainingly stupid rather than acting like 1st year undergrad Poli-Sci major with ill-informed opinions.
Idiotic guests are really only entertaining if there's an equivalently strong opposing force to push back at their idiocy and/or just mock them, the rest of the panel wasn't just up to it in this case. I have yet to see a panel in any forum where Cupp just doesn't ruin it overall though, the problem is her level of idiocy isn't some outlier on cable news or political opinion in general. You laugh and shake your head...until you realize her viewpoints are actually shared by millions of voters and people in power, and she's is rewarded exorbitantly in proportion to people who actually struggle daily to contribute something of value. It's far more anger and disgust than amusement for me, partly in this format because Bill would never let a guest truly eviscerate her and call her out like she deserves.

gently caress, I'm only a third of the way into this (doubt I'll be able to finish) and she just completely contradicted herself after a string of idiotic statements.

First off, the "Work is dignity. Work is good." is such a laughably simplistic statement, albeit I realize it's just another tenant in the right's Bible (and to a certain extent it's ingrained in the puritan mindset of a large segment of the populace) so the wingnuts are obligated to robotically keep making GBS threads it out. So by that logic, a position that solely entails distributing false statements about a political opponent at the behest of a Super PAC equates to "dignity"? It contributes to the country's productivity as a whole? A single mom who has no other option than to take a job as a Wallmart greeter and dump her kids off at an unlicensed daycare so she can afford to get her kids to get a dental checkup once ever 3 years is skipping home everyday because she's working, and that's "good"?

So Bill counters with the Long John Silver's fish fryer example, and then Cupp responds with "I wish everyone had the luxury of saying no to a lovely job" - wait, what? Just 10 seconds ago you claimed that work - any work - is intrinsically good by definition. She then does a double back-flip into her own poo poo and follows that up with "The problem is that there are no jobs available!" - so how does this do anything but bloody well support the CBO's projections? It's not saying "Obamacare means 2.5 million jobs will be lost", it's actually saying that a small segment of the population might not choose to seek work if the only reason they would accept that lovely job otherwise would be for the companies health insurance. The jobs are still there - they've now basically been returned to the open market where there's millions more waiting for that position to be made available, just as Cupp herself said.

And really, who would take a job based on that carrot of health insurance alone, or at least as the primary qualifier? A healthy 20-something is not going to take a job out of a fear they might get an attack of appendicitis and want to be prepared. Odds are the type of individual seeking or staying in a position due primarily to health insurance is an elderly employee who probably shouldn't be working a full time position in the first place, or someone with a dependent who has costly medication/Dr visits to maintain, which in turn puts a disproportionate drain on that company's health insurance costs. From the perspective of the employer, you generally want healthy employees with energy and ambition - you don't get that with workers who are there purely out of desperation and are running out the clock to pay for their glaucoma medication while waiting until they reach medicare eligibility.

This basically ties into the other fallacy, "work is good" goes hand in hand with equally shallow "continuous growth is the end goal" as it relates the economy. Which could possibly be a truism if GDP wasn't actually venerated as a net positive (when it says nothing of the sort), and more importantly if space and resources weren't finite - the climate is making that very clear that they indeed are, and making that point increasingly rapidly with potentially disastrous consequences.

In effect, we've just been putting the expenses of continual growth on layaway for the majority of the industrialized worlds existence, and now the environment is saying "S'up. Oh btw...the bill's due. PAY UP."

fake edit: boy that was a lot of words on a show I don't particularly care for

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

SyRauk posted:

I don't understand why Amy Chua is on television.
What do you mea-

Oh, love how she's supporting the Cadillac ad as it has certain "truths", such as Americans are the most hard-working and industrious people on the planet, when her entire claim to loving fame is that she extolls the virtue of a Chinese-style upbringing to combat the inherent laziness of Western youths due to their decadent parents.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

Rob Lowe exclaiming that he usually gets the right to hit on the pretty one with her husband sitting directly behind her was :ughh:.
Lowe in general came across as a complete loving idiot over the course of the entire show.

"That's literally whats happening here" - comparing the Crimean invasion to an argument at a dinner party over cake. Yes, misusing "literally" was mocked, but what in the hell was that analogy about except to demonstrate how much of an empty husk of privilege he is as a human being?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Bill was acting like a massive dick to his Christian guest.
That's like calling Rush Limbaugh "that radio host". Reed is a massive shitstain on many levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Sweet gently caress I'm watching it now where Maher tries to justify his idiotic position on Islam being the sole (or primary at least) driver of terrorist acts by quoting opinions from loving Friedman and Andrew Sullivan. :psyduck: Will we know more in 6 months?

I love how just before this segment, he was pointing out when shootings happen, we always have to consider both mental illness and the access to guns, it's not simply one or the other.

But of course, in the case of the Canadian shooter, he's a "Jihadist" - period. No other factors contribute, like his crack addiction and obvious mental state.

Idiot seeks quotes of other idiots to shore up idiotic position, film at 11.

Edit: Oh gently caress you Avalon, laughing at the notion US foreign policy helped cause any of this, ffs ISIS is a direct, immediate result of this - this isn't ancient bloody history.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 25, 2014