Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Yeah, that was really bad, right near the beginning of the panel Kennedy and Rohrabacher screamed over each other (I don't even remember what the hell they were arguing about) and refused to shut up when Bill was trying to interject and you just knew it was going to be bad.

Real Time isn't cable news, it's supposed to be an entertaining and fun show to watch, if you have to yield the floor for a second for the sake of the audience just friggin do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Vodos posted:

Do the wingnuts talk about this show? Please share if you find any reactions about this week's new rule.

Here is a fun discussion:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/56852-bill-maher-performs-un-baptism-of-mitt-romneys-deceased-father-in-law/

quote:

A few thoughts:

1. Maher is obviously intending to offend, whereas the LDS practice of proxy baptism is not intended to offend.

quote:

Bill Maher is an anti-Christ.

quote:

The only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.. As I understand Bill had a Catholilc upbringing and didn’t find out his mother was Jewish until the age of 13.. Every one has a chance of redemption until the time that they are taken out of here.. Remember the two thieves on the cross..one of them saying “If you are really the Son of God..then get us off of these crosses.” while the other said..”leave Him alone..he has done nothing to deserve this ..Lord..please remember me..” Then Jesus said to him.”This day..you will be with me in paradise.” Jesus knew his heart.. There is still time for Bill Mahers. .However,,that is between Bill and God.. Jesus said..if you deny Me before men..I will deny you before my Father.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/bil...y-the-fk-alone/

quote:

First they came for the Jews, then they came for the Mormon’s, then they came for the Catholics.

What is it going to take for you people on the message boards to realize what is going on. This is evil, whether the Mormon Churches doctrine aligns with your doctrine or not. We need to stick together when we see religious persecution. The type of faith or church being berated is irrelevant. We need to stick together because the time is coming when persecution will come to your doorstep. Who then will be left to defend you and your religious rights if you don’t stand up against this type of evil now. While it is still young.

quote:

And ‘lo Satan, after feasting upon the sins of man, did squat and pinch a large turd. And the turd’s name was Bill Maher.

quote:

if you replace his hatred with any race, culture, sexuality, you would be removed from the air quicker then jimmy the greek. Why do we allow this?

quote:

“So I guess no one here thinks its wrong that Mormons baptize dead people? Mitt’s father in law was an atheist and they “converted” his dead body.”

They don’t physically baptize dead people. A living person gets baptized in their stead.

If you don’t believe in it, then why should you be worried about it? Either Mormons are right, and they are helping those that have passed, or they are wrong, and their actions have no effect.

quote:

On the contrary, Lilly. The Blaze exposes this man. None of us would even know how despicable this man is without the Blaze’s attention to him.
I know I don’t—– do any of you even watch him?
Keep your friends close. Keep you enemies closer. Which means… learn about them.

quote:

Maher doesn’t seem to comprehend the term “religion” and what it means. He is an insult to his fellow man.

And I hope others of other faiths are listening. This isn’t just an attack on the LDS it is an attack on all FAITHS, Christians, Jews, etc…..

This man should never have been given a platform. He and those like him will be the first in line to take the mark of the beast. Need I say more?

quote:

He should learn what the Mormons believe about people like him in the afterlife. That baptism will most likely have no effect. He is with those like him now. Sure he will have a chance to accept Jesus Christ but that will be his choice but he is no longer an Atheist as he is still living. He now has proof God exist. But he is still free to choose as he reexamines his beliefs. GOD never forces us he lets us choose. That is the primary Mormon belief.

But bill seems to think he can force his beliefs on others.

What a religious zealot secular fundamentalist Bill Maher is. He is so devout in his secular beliefs that he feels that he can make GOD like declarations. That only his books belong on the bookshelf. That if you have not his beliefs you are crazy or something. Sounds just like those fundamentalist preachers that teach fire and brimstone. Except he seems he has the power to drat right here and now. Prove there is no GOD Bill by making a Man out of nothing. But you can not even prove your primary belief in evolution. The most crazy religious belief I can think of. Make any life form out of no life then talk to me. But Maher knows that is impossible even the simplest life forms are immensely complicated.

quote:

I wish cancer on him.

And so on...

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm glad he didn't try to do it with her there last week, as you know she wouldn't have let him finish.

Oh, he would have gotten into it if it didn't happen right before the end of the show. You could tell he was pissed he didn't have time last week. It was better that he waited though since he always knocks New Rules out of the park.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Wooty posted:

The Conservative Eyebrow Man was a bit more tame then some of his other appearances.

Honestly I just always see him as the angry conservative version of Samir Nagheenanajar from Office Space whenever he comes on, but compared to Kennedy and that rear end in a top hat congressmman from before, an amazing breath of fresh air.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

fart blood posted:

I was a bit confused by Bill Maher's final New Rule on friday about how if you don't like something, just ignore it and go on with your life. Not for nothing, but isn't this the guy that made a whole documentary on religion because he doesn't like it?

He comments on stuff all the time, he does it for a living, what he was complaining about is trying to make people apologize or get them off the air. He points out how dumb religion is, but he doesn't want to make them shut up.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

az posted:

The liberal media is to conservatives as a dingo is to australian mothers.

The dingo attack was real though...

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Talk shows of all sorts generally promote more discussion when they are terrible and make you angry, thus conservative radio.

This was an entertaining show with reasonable guests who had a sense of a humor, which is when Maher is at its best.

I did think Krugman wiped the floor with Laffer though, just because he could get his points across without getting jargony and Laffer sounded like he was bullshitting when he couldn't do the same.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I think he just brought it up the second time as a joke, "See, you could have used Romneycare as an example of a policy you liked", but she reacted too defensively instead of just saying she preferred single payer.

She is a liberal pundit and she will always take the liberal position, he is a libertarian and will always take that position so the conversation was pointless, but she did not handle it well.

The show is best when people can laugh off stuff like that, because it doesn't belong on the show to begin with. It needs to be entertainment first to work.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

I also recall him being anti-ATF which is another diametrically opposing viewpoint to the law and order, authoritarian, conservative mindset.

Nah, the hard right hates the ATF. Why do you think they would like a group dedicated to enforcing gun laws?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I usually kind of like Salam's act on Real Time but he totally ruined that show. I really wanted to hear what Cuban had to say because Rich Sensible Republican is some sort of rare endangered species and he has a lot to say on the SuperPac stuff but he was stuck trying to work around the shrieking moron.

Bill should have told him to calm down in the first minute, it's the host's job to handle that stuff. I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again now, watching this show is supposed to be fun. I don't want to be screamed at for an hour, I can watch Sean Hannity for that.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Zogo posted:

Mark Foley referred to a "navy seal movie" a few times. What movie is he talking about and why is he concerned about it?

I see one called "Zero Dark Thirty."

I was only half listening so I missed any of that but I assume he would be talking about this:

quote:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A film dramatizing the death of Osama bin Laden is set to debut next month on the National Geographic Channel, two days before the presidential election.

"Seal Team Six: The Raid on Osama bin Laden," from The Weinstein Co. and Voltage Pictures, will air Sunday, Nov. 4, the channel said Thursday. President Barack Obama faces Republican challenger Mitt Romney at the polls two days later.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TV_BIN_LADEN_DRAMA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-04-23-12-40

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

This episode was godawful. MSNBC lady did not say one thing that was not double interrupted the whole time, not that it mattered because she wasn't saying anything of any particular interest. How can liberal pundits be so woefully unprepared to argue voter ID? Any random liberal on these forums could do it better. The two fat Republican white guys were interchangeable idiots and Taibbi was barely there. I was too angried up to listen to anything in New Rules. I also am not a fan of the anti-GMO stuff.

As I say every time there is a bad episode of this show, it's supposed to be fun. This was not. It was just angry pundit yelling and you can get that anytime from multiple other outlets.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Her concern trolling act was lame and spiteful. I would have rather had one of the yelly fat guys from a few weeks ago because at least they would be honest. (And one can be shouted down, it was having two that made it insufferable)

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Like a whack to Hannity's head wouldn't reveal it was hollow.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Bill Maher is desperately in need of a real time fact checker.

quote:

Petraeus disputed Republican suggestions that the White House misled the public on what led to the violence in the midst of President Barack Obama's re-election campaign.

"There was an interagency process to draft it, not a political process," Schiff said after the hearing. "They came up with the best assessment without compromising classified information or source or methods. So changes were made to protect classified information.

"The general was adamant there was no politicization of the process, no White House interference or political agenda," Schiff said. "He completely debunked that idea."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/11/16/us-petraeus-benghazi-hearing.html

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah I meant he needed the facts to shut her down rather than call it a "He Said/She Said."

Petraeus in no way backed up the Republican conspiracy theories.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

There was a lot of talking over heads on the gun stuff, but it came down to Booker didn't have a defense for the AWB but didn't want to admit it. They agreed on everything else. The actual Democratic plan right now probably already knows it won't pass though so they just want to push the sensibleness of the reasonable stuff they will pass as compromise.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Well he kept going back to handguns being what killed people in places like Newark, which they agreed on, so the question is why bother pulling the assault weapons off the street if they are not common in crime and can easily be substituted with handguns for mass shootings. He could not identify the problem that the AWB would solve.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

Booker says that even saving one life is important wrt something as the AWB, what more is there to say?

That "it could save one life" is a terrible philosophy for lawmaking? I'm in favor of gun control, it's just that this particular gun control is pointless and everybody knows it won't pass. If that was all Booker could say for it, he lost that portion of the debate. I only saw Maher butting in after it was clear Booker didn't have anything and was repeating himself.

I mean, can you explain why you would want to ban legally owned assault rifles if you believe this?

Booker posted:

To me, the data should drive our decision making. So I know, I’m not afraid of people having guns who are law abiding citizens. In the analysis of gun murders and shootings in my city, I could only find one in the entire time I’ve been mayor – and unfortunately there have been hundreds and hundreds – where a person who was involved in a shooting where they had their gun legally, where they legally acquired their gun. The guns that are causing carnage in our cities, my city and our country, every single year are acquired illegally.

He was making good points for the strict regulation of the secondary market in handguns, but not the AWB, but he couldn't bring himself to say that. It was incoherent and I think I agree he is going to be in trouble at the next level in politics if he can't do better on TV.

This is of course the same guy who went on TV as an Obama surrogate and praised Bain Capital during the campign. The dude can't stay on message.

Booker posted:

“It’s nauseating to the American public,” Booker said on NBC's "Meet the Press." “Enough is enough. Stop attacking private equity. Stop attacking Jeremiah Wright.”

“As far as that stuff, I have to just say from a very personal level I’m not about to sit here and indict private equity,” he added. “To me, it’s just we’re getting to a ridiculous point in America. Especially that I know I live in a state where pension funds, unions and other people invest in companies like Bain Capital. If you look at the totality of Bain Capital’s record, they’ve done a lot to support businesses [and] to grow businesses. And this, to me, I’m very uncomfortable with.”

(But hey, it's the Republicans so they might give him a joke opponent like Geraldo)

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 3, 2013

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

I'm a little weirded out by how much Bill has been touching Snoop tonight.

Heh, just watching it now and came here to post that.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

So far I am overcome with rage that these two pea brained idiots will not let Bernie Sanders say anything without screaming "DEBT DEBT DEBT!!!!!11111111" at him so he can't actually talk.

As a MILLENNIAL, I would like Bernie Sanders to speak for me, thanks.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Okay, I've never done this with Real Time before, through all the stupid poo poo that has been on this show, but I have to turn this off or I'm going to stroke out. I can't take this double dose of smug stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

Just got back from a late shift an hour ago and figured I'd unwind with a drink while watching the show before going to sleep. I'm not sure where my blood pressure is at right now, but I'm fairly certain it's not healthy. I am in no way unwound right now.

Yeah, I post this every time there is a bad episode, but: This show is supposed to be fun and entertaining to watch. If I just want to hear idiots yelling at each other about politics I can get hundreds of hours of it a week via cable news. It doesn't have to be the most intelligent conversation, but it should be fun.