Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

ts12 posted:

Pointing out the mistreatment of women in the Middle East is a very legitimate point, but his attitude regarding Muslims in general is frustratingly intolerant. I wish I remembered what episode it was, but it was a few months ago I think, around the election, and he spent a good half of the panel blasting the Tea Party panel member for being part of a movement that has a very large racist backing (something I actually agree with), but then the very first thing he said after the panel was, "I'm not a racist, but it scares me that the number one baby name last year was Mohammed, and I don't apologize for that." I'm paraphrasing a bit, but the subject content is the same. I understand that he's basically the rich version of a GBS atheist, but come on, what the gently caress makes you think you can attack someone else for racism and then say that?

Race =/= religion.

The teabaggers hate black people. Bill Maher hates Muslims. He doesn't hate brown people.

Is it really that hard to understand? Religion is a choice, skin color is not. Bill Maher is intolerant of intolerance, as he put it; and Islam is without a doubt the worst major religion on the planet today in regards to its followers and their support of basic human rights. Is there a single Muslim majority country you'd want to live in over a Christian-based religion majority country? ...That's what I thought.

ts12 posted:

I also think he's an rear end in a top hat for refusing to legitimately address Smiley when he (correctly) pointed out that gender disparity is just as alive and well in this country. Of course there is a difference in treatments between here and there, but that doesn't make America's treatment of women any less related to the conversation at hand.

He wasn't addressing Smiley because Tavis had a bullshit argument. Just because Americans are guilty of sexism doesn't mean they can't criticize others who carry it out to such an extreme degree. The West has made some impressive progress in regards to gender equality; the Middle East... not so much.

richardfun posted:

God, I felt like punching that oval office from CNBC in the face the entire episode. Blatantly shilling for the richest douchebags out there, and saying the only alternative is communism. :bang:

I really wish Taibbi would get on the panel sometime, instead of being a stand-alone guest...

What were you expecting from a right-winger? Logical, compassionate arguments?

If she wasn't shilling for the richest douchebags out there she'd be a liberal. You can't have "balance" without allowing this trash on your show; if they only allowed reasonable people on the show it'd just be a left-wing circlejerk every week.

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

CNBC is trash. I can't believe there are still people defending the Laffer Curve who have a major voice in the media of economics.

They have good documentaries but their normal programming is pretty terrible corporate shilling.

Then again, what do expect from a financial channel?

Dudebro posted:

I watched "The Inside Job" before the show not expecting it to be about the same thing, but it was a good primer for what most of the show's discussion was about. Disgusting, really. These executives could be targeted for assassinations and 99% of Americans would secretly be happy about it.

Somehow I doubt that when the reason these douchebags are so rich and powerful is because the majority of the American population votes in this kind of corruption gleefully over and over.

Most Americans think that they too will be one of those rich douchebags some day so they consistently vote in politicians who push policies that favor the wealthy. It's that whole "American dream" bullshit. No other country brainwashes its citizens into thinking everyone's going to strike it rich some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Dudebro posted:

I think that's the dumbest thing I've heard Dan Savage say and I'm guessing he regretted it immediately. Don't go down to the level of whomever you're against no matter how frustrating they are. Not that any respectable Republican would say that out loud.

Oh I get it.

The joke here being that there isn't such a thing as a respectable Republican

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008
He also just donated $1 million to Obama's campaign.