Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Did anyone else notice when Harris said AR-15's were great for home defense because the bullets were less likely to penetrate walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

That actually isn't bullshit, an AR-15 bullet is very light and tumbles in such a way that it won't penetrate well. Something like a .45 pistol has a much better chance of going through walls.

Not saying this is a good reason to have an AR-15 around the house but it's not bullshit.

This seems to support what I understood of AR-15 ballistics:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot14.htm

Tumbling or not, an AR-15 round is typically going to be going at a high enough velocity to tear through walls far more than a .45 which is probably going a third of the speed or less. Either way, saying an AR-15 is safer than most other home defense guns with regards to wall penetration would still seem inaccurate. If some TFR guru wants to cite something more scientific disputing this I would be interested to read more.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I liked when he was talking to Julia Roberts and said that if terrorists had poisoned the water of 200k Americans we would be dropping bombs on people but since it was just a corporation the most that will happen is a fine or slap on the wrist :patriot:

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

peter banana posted:

when Bill stops calling women cunts as joke or talking about how hilarious it would be if "X female celebrity" was beaten up, then I'll believe his righteous indignation with Muslim institutional misogyny. Dudes like that are just looking for an excuse to be racist.

Haha I can't tell if you're trolling or genuinely believe criticizing Islam is racism.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Gimp Fack posted:

I haven't watched this show in at least a year and a half, perhaps more. I used to watch it regularly. As a pretty logical liberal-leaning person, you could probably guess why. I still pay attention to this thread for shits and it doesn't surprise me that he's been digging deeper in regards to vaccinations. It seems finding shows that cover debatable topics where logic triumphs emotion is harder to find on TV, though to be honest, I'm not really surprised.
I have to agree that from my memories of show, I enjoyed the parts where he was reading the teleprompter the most; the writers never went too far illogically in regards to whatever topic was covered imo. Looks like he hasn't really changed since I last watched, and I'm not surprised in the slightest. The last thing one should expect from a millionaire comedian is logic and reasoning.

Dang are you a vulcan irl or do you just really like saying the word logical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Mostly Lurking posted:

It was tongue in cheek because Maher's views on muslims are more aligned with Trump than liberals (which is why he cries about 'those drat liberals' whenever muslims are brought up). :buddy:

I'd say it's better to hate the dumb things said in the quran than the entire religion itself just like any other religion seeing how most do including those that practice it. But what Bill Maher and the rest of the New Atheists are doing is focusing on the violence in certain regions and applying it to all regions with muslims while ignoring all other variables (Can't exactly divorce economic power from what's going on) that push violence and saying, "there, do you see!? Islam, I told you!" All while ignoring all regions that are not the focus on this "War on Terror."

He at least wants less bombing going on so that's better than what's going on now, but he's still playing the West vs Islam card and that isn't helping.

Islamist fuelled violence is far from confined to the middle east. Just ask the victims of boko haram and al shabab, or the secular bloggers getting macheted to death in Burma (or indonesia?). You also are seeming to forget how violent the chechnians are in their clashes with Russia compared with other former Soviet peoples.

In the rest of the third world it's comparitively rare to see any people act in violence under the banner of religious zealotry despite whatever colonialism did to them.

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 24, 2015