Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This is vintage Maher - haven't had a show like this in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Zogo posted:

Roundtable guests: Michelle Caruso-Cabrera

Oh boy. More anarcho-capitalist nonsense.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The only thing preventing Maher from going full Dennis Miller is GOP opposition to legal marijuana.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Ochowie posted:

I think that if someone came up with such a cure monetizing would be the easy part.
You would probably see all the billionaire philanthropists, foundations, and foreign aid agencies pool resources to purchase the patent and make it a cheap, accessible generic. The financial incentive is there, the science is not.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The fact that Bill's Islamophobia makes Ann Coulter look like Rachel Maddow probably isn't helping him land an Obama interview.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The over the top Islamophobia has really made Maher irrelevant. This Ted Cruz like obsession with terminology, even if it makes us less safe, is a new level of hypocrisy that has relegated Bill's show even further to the fringe of public discourse than it was before.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Immortan posted:

This is bullshit. Maher is right that Donald Trump or Ted Cruz could very well win in November due to the left's baffling refusal to call Islamic extremism for what it is. If there's another attack reminiscent of the one in Paris or Brussels, then it might be all but certain. If it occurs on U.S. soil, then lol it's over.

If the term Islamic extremism is going to be seen as inflammatory by Muslim communities you need to partner with to prevent terrorism, what is gained by using that specific terminology? Do we have some special terrorism response team that only activates when you say the magic words? Are we indiscriminately bombing all terrorist groups, whether they are Islamic extremists or not? Elected officials using certain language has an effect, and the effect is not one that makes us any safer. For someone who likes to laugh at how illogical the Republicans can be, Bill should know better.

Everyone knows what Obama or Corey Booker, or Hillary is talking about when they say jihadists. Using language that is going to make some people feel good, even if its counterproductive to our goals, is not something any intelligent person should be asking for.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Immortan posted:

"Islamic extremism" doesn't refer to those communities who don't, you know, engage in extremism. See how easy that was?

Uh, "Jihadists" is 'Islamic". Way to spoil your argument here, champ.

As it was stated on the show, Muslim communities prefer people saying that we are at war with jihadists, and not at war with radical Islam. Many people may not see the difference, or why they would get offended when both terminologies refer to the same thing, but they do find it offensive, so why engage in a feel good exercise that's achieving the exact opposite outcome we wish to achieve?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
If conservatives were pro-marijuana legalization, Maher would basically be an alt-right troll in the vein of Milo.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

Well, that was an embarrassingly softball interview Maher gave Milo there. I would've thought he'd have challenged Milo on something, anything, but I guess not.

They aren't very different.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

So Milo started the overtime panel by being a horrible bigot, that's surprising. :|

Milo is a fairly low energy troll. He is still a complete amateur compared to the likes of Coulter. He also knows that he is fairly low on the totem pole of the alt-right, and you can see that when he speaks. Coulter on the other hand knows she could be the wife of Neo-Hitler in Bannon fantasy land, and she trolls with far more confidence.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Chromatic posted:

If that gets traction I can see Bill's rear end being booted off TV for the 2nd time.

I don't think HBO cares, and they knew everything he said before they gave him a show. No one cares about what Maher said because for decades everyone knows he is just an rear end in a top hat with a lot of stupid beliefs, who occasionally makes a good joke about people they hate. Milo was going to be the keynote speaker at the piety and morality conference.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

The US and Russia have one good trait: if they can agree on a common enemy, together they can blow them the gently caress away.

We can any enemy up without Russia. The only question is how much we are willing to commit to a fight. You also have to remember that having a common enemy is not the same as having a shared purpose.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Bill is absolutely a liberal in the lovely mold of Hillary Clinton and Cory Booker.

Cory Booker looks like Bernie Sanders compared to Maher. If the GOP would drop their opposition to marijuana, Maher would be in league with Alex Jones and Milo.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

If you're still watching after this gross display of islamophobia and support of apartheid, I don't know what to tell you. I'm only commenting because this thread is still in my bookmarks and I've only read the transcripts but that's some seriously poo poo stuff out of Weiss and Maher.

It's been clear for at least a decade that the only thing separating Maher from running his show on Fox News is his love of weed. If he could get the GOP to turn on that, he would make Dennis Miller look like Ellen Degeneres.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

Somehow Bernie who polls best vs Trump is actually the worst according to the opinion show hosts.

Rich fucks.

Edit - New Rule was even worse. Good idea, Bill. Go after edge Trump voters instead of the other 200m people in the country.

Bernie doesn’t poll the best against Trump. That would be Biden in basically every poll testing Democratic candidates since Biden got in the race.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Gimmedaroot posted:

Almost forgot: Joe Rogan also proudly stated that he had never voted conservative or right wing ever in his life, which Bill can't say...especially since Maher endorsed Dole in 1996 on PI. That was another nice swipe....

Joe Rogan is basically the gateway drug to being part of the alt-right. It’s one thing to want to present all views, but to not challenge these shitheads who go on his show, and attend “dark-enlightenment” dinners with Ben Shapiro, Peterson and co. - well you can’t really claim to be a progressive at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Maher has basically been Joe Rogan minus the steroids for many years. If Mitch McConnell would get on board with legalizing marijuana at the federal level, Maher would have had his own slot at CPAC years ago.

Much like with Rogan, nothing about them changed back in March 2020. They were always lovely people with regressive views, but the pandemic forced people to come to terms with who these clowns are.