Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The banner from the RealTimeWithBillMaher youtube page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I did! Haven’t seen an ep in two weeks, and after seeing this on Twitter I feel great!

https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1380738573725396994?s=21

Geez, did no one tell Bill that Lizard vs. Monke is on his network right now???

He mentions that.

And holy poo poo his New Rule was actually spot on. Holy gently caress.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

WaryWarren posted:

I guess Bill will never tackle Sátántango. He can make fun of liberals protesting "affordable housing" developments in their neighborhood, but I doubt his Beverly Hills neighborhood is zoned for that. And if it was, he would scream bloody murder. gently caress this Boomer rear end in a top hat for helping to poison my dad's smooth Boomer brain.

He has said multiple times on the show that he thinks that he is taxed too high.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x5SeXNabd8

Good god. He was so close and then went straight to far right wing talking points.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

To be fair, I agree with him completely how liberals and even a share of the left think that "education" is a magic solution to everything. Not just an answer to poverty but also an answer to pretty much everything. "Education" and "training" are not only magic bullets that are the solution to every problem but also they and themselves are always good and are things you can never have too much of. The reality is that for a good amount of jobs having more than a high school education is unnecessary, as most "mastering of craft" simply comes by via experience. I got my bachelor's and found that essentially nothing I learned helped me even when I was in the correlating "field".

College is being pushed by the government, banks, and special interests to be a mandatory continuation of high school with a high mandatory price. A huge issue is that liberals and much of the left aren't actually fine with this, they actively want it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

One could also say that everyone should be attending those four years of school for free and mandated by the state as part of the same education package we currently provide is the actual left’s position. Not for people to skip being educated further.

Bill’s take here is antiquated because the base of his point is that he, a rich person, doesn’t want to pay. gently caress that.

I was about to respond that Bill's "college actually increases inequality. :smuggo:" comment was insanely stupid for obvious reasons that I don't need to point out. Higher education should be free for everyone. The issue is the worry that in stead of it being done in a smart/cost controlled manner (like say single payer healthcare) it will be done in a way to just write giant checks to a bloated system and private entitles (like Medicare Part D).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Who watches this show? It's not right wing enough for the Trump lovers, not leftwing enough for leftists, and not "nice" enough for liberals.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

HBO lost literally half of its subscribers when Game of Thrones crashed, burned, and then spewed a fountain of poo poo into several beds from the nadir of the crater it landed in and I don't think they ever got them back. So they're hanging on to whatever dim bright spots they have left in their faded empire now, and if that means giving Bill another sweetheart contract then gently caress it, at least maybe 5 people are still watching him. Right?

I thought HBO Max was doing good?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bill Maher has always been an opportunist, but it is pretty sad seeing him doing exactly what he screeched about his Republican guests doing.

He not only cherry picks examples that prove his point, but also completely misrepresents if not outright lies about them.

Take for example the highlight of his New Rules from last week:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/san-francisco-shoplifters-theft-walgreens-decriminalized-11634678239

What the gently caress? Shoplifting is essentially legal now? WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THE LEFT!?!? :sad:

But if you will actually look deeper by...reading the proposition bill which is only a few pages anyway then things make more sense.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-160551360299

For starters, the proposition wasn't for San Francisco like the headline implies, but all of California. Second off, the bill in no way, shape or form legalized shoplifting, it merely made it so that shoplifting under $950 a misdemeanor instead of a felony. Finally, there is nothing "radical" about the bill. Prior to the bill the law against shoplifting was the exact same except that the limit was under $400 for a misdemeanor, instead of $950.

Now I could just bow out right here, but I feel like further embarrassing Maher and others like him.

The article mentions that the vast majority of shoplifting doesn't even approach $400 to begin with, and in fact much of the time culprits aren't even arrested.

But I feel like it would be best to bring up my long time friend. He was once a compliance officer for Target, but eventually quit the job because he hated it. The main reason why he hated the job? He told me that contrary to popular belief, most people who shoplift aren't taking expensive things like iPads and video games, but rather stuff like toys, candy, clothes, and other stuff that will total out to like less than $25. So essentially all shoplifting is treated like a misdemeanor anyway. The law changes nearly nothing outside of the most extreme of the extreme cases of shoplifting.

The image of people who run in and out of the store with duffle bags is mostly just sensationalized media. All the law changes is that instead of these unicorn shoppers running out while carrying one duffle bag, they are carrying two of them.

If people want to further prosecute such situations that's understandable, but it is non-sensical to pretend that it's the norm and constitutes a substantial share of shoplifting as a whole.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's amazing how Bill Maher has gone full right wing in the span of a few years.

Also, while the increase of crime is concerning, it's not like these days is a lawless Purge in real-life. Crime has gotten back up to the same levels of the 2000s and still is nowhere near the peak of the early 1990s.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Have any brave soldiers ventured into this?

How bad is it?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wow...it's just amazing how more dumb Bill Maher keeps getting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMBzfUj5zsg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

Sorry for doublepost but I finally found the clip that made me stop watching where Bill Maher argues the rich pay enough in taxes. Its ready to start where the clip starts and I can't vouch for the guy in the corner. I just wanted the clip of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rObqzpk6j7M&t=51s

If 65,000 out of 8 million pay 51% of the taxes the answer is that maybe we need to create a new type of economy so 65,000 people don't have a majority of capital power.