Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Real talk: there is a big nutrition movement against bread, but it's got nowt to do with fungus, it's more about carbs and gluten and poo poo, and it's just that it's not really considered a +healthy food - not that it's a poison.

Also someone on the panel (possibly Zooey) mentioning bread being worse in the US is also true because they add sugar to it IIRC.

Super Deuce posted:

I felt kind of bad for Zooey. She had absolutely nothing to say about anything.
Oh, I dunno, I was riveted by the televised story about how some random mum's random kid does and doesn't like broccoli.

WaryWarren posted:

wow, that bill maher guy is an expert on israeli-palestinian affairs.
:roflolmao:

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I found it fascinating, his ability to totally deflect questions and drag everyone off topic by talking about something completely irrelevant. It was textbook PR stuff. Wish I had that skill.

Like you can't finish refuting his lie if you're too busy dealing with the new lie he interrupted you with.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The Jordan Peterson phenomenon is so mystifying to me. Seemingly sensible people take this man very seriously despite his best points boiling down to - as Bill was so excited to say - 'common sense'. Guy spun out a whole book based on the super original and practical advice of "hey, sort out your own problems first-".

Then he just gargles on at length without saying anything of any substance at all, throwing in some pretentious references to Kierkegaard or outdated psycholo-babble about Jungian archetypes. On Overtime he basically goes on two seperate mini-monologues about how "Hey, all the people who like Trump are going to be upset if Trump gets impeached" - and it's like, yeah no poo poo? He's offering nothing to learn from that, no solutions to that, or any real point - it's basically just an incredibly simplistic observation and it's the most he can muster.

Plus we get him slipping in his (unchallenged, thanks Bill) standard rant about the "postmodern cultural marxist leftists" who are ruining society with their political correctness, femininity and, I dunno, unclean rooms.

But let's forget his climate change denial and re-tweeting of anti Black Lives Matter shitposts (despite his very courageous twitter bio including "NOTE: RTs/follows are not to be read unfailingly as endorsements. I sometimes post material with which I do not agree."), and just note Bill Maher's continuing failure to understand that Free Speech is allowed by law but not free of societal consequences, while talking in his New York tough guy voice about kids these days while acknowledging his only information of young people comes from TV shows, while also telling young people they should read more books.

but yeah, new rules had at least a funny joke so I guess I'll keep watching???

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah we really need another old white moderate to save the world, a comedy writer will definitely stop the millionaire president who has gotten away with every crime he ever committed. While getting Ocasio's name wrong again. Great stuff.

Also "don't talk about issues and tell people what you actually believe and want so they'll vote for you - just tell people to vote" i guess...

PT6A posted:

The Franken take is not great, but it's nowhere near as offensive as the throwaway "even Indians can do it!" line or whatever. Frankly, that was worse and deployed with even less thought than the infamous "house [n-word]" comment and no one seems to be paying attention to it.
That was legit bizzarre. I'm not even sure what joke he was instinctively reaching for. I guess he reflexively thinks natives are just bad at stuff???

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Hey at least this week we got Bill getting steamrolled by reasonableness every time he tried to start a circlejerk about PC culture and mean universities! He got shut down on Overtime with a nice simple "It's overstated."

PT6A posted:

I recall watching the Jordan Peterson interview and thinking "wow he's doing a great job of making him look like the giant loving moron he is," but that might be because I already knew who Peterson was. The people I was watching it with also thought he came off looking like a complete tool as well, so I can't really get that mad.
I didn't see this at all. I remember him doing his usual insubtsantial waffling that will come off as reasonable and intellectual to the average person and being completely unchallenged and not pressed on anything.

JP is a joke of a human, but the scary thing is how good he is at getting that past people and he's very good at cultivating his little market. My first ever introduction to him was a podcast where I listened to him talk for 2 hours without having a loving clue about his weird right wing bent, he just irritated me by his ability to talk at length without saying anything, while the hosts seemed to respect the hell out of him. Of course, he eventually slips in something about the FEMINISTS or the CULTURAL NEO MARXISTS or whatever and you go hmmm...Then it turns out that's the tip of the fuckin iceberg.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It's amazing how there isn't a single good take in any episode of this show anymore. :laugh:

Sure, let's talk about Biden as a viable candidate for literally no reason while a room full of adults don't question the idea of a politician "not running on policy". Let's just talk Trump tweets, Russia and emotional gut reactions to issues (0.0001% of prisoners are so bad they deffo shouldn't vote THIS IS SO IMPORTANT) with no regard to solving actual problems.

Let's make the sole goal to unseat Trump and ignore the massive section of the country and government that created and crowned the monster. Look forward to us doing this all again when they elect someone worse next time, and Bill Maher argues for running Meghan McCain because the overton window has shifted, and she's liberal enough, her bloodline equals electability and she MIGHT be able to beat Trump 2.0!

Radio Nowhere posted:

Early in the broadcast, complains about the bigotry of ageism. Later in the broadcast, old jokes!
"It's not identity politics when I do it!" -literally every cis het white guy

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Maybe Bill pointing to one guy saying something outlandish about the word "owner" is not representative of a movement or anything worth talking about. Social justice is actually meaningful and important but actual racists and bigots have swept people up in this "THE REAL PROBLEM IS THE SJWS! I SAW ONE PERSON ON TUMBLR DOT COM WHO WANTS TO BAN BLACK PAINT BECAUSE ITS RACIST".

The dude didn't make a great case (although he did get Brett Easton Ellis to back down/clarify a little, which was actually good) - but I appreciated someone pushing back on Bill Maher's constant semantics over policy nonsense.

And yeah Katie Porter killed it. First good takes I've seen on the Extremely Bad Takes Show in months. Also gave us a classic moment of Maher getting super defensive when she jokingly dunked on him (or any time people talk about old dudes disparagingly) and yelling at his audience, before unironically going back to "hey little buddy, maybe don't get offended so easily" act.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are there any legit sources for Reade's Putin admiration? I can't find anything on Google.
https://web.archive.org/web/20190404043945/https://medium.com/@shewrites94/why-a-liberal-democrat-supports-vladimir-putin-f54ca2a3a405

Think there's definitely an article or two, maybe some tweets. Doesn't remotely justify the conspiracy theories.

Also a healthy reminder to people that it's a much smaller ask for Joe Biden to step down than it is to ask millions of voters to come out and vote for an uninspiring, incoherent sex pest. People like Bill Maher really need to get their memories checked. Trying to stamp out legit criticism of a flawed candidate with your only argument being "beat the other worse person" is not going to get people out to the polls.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ed Markey proved it's really easy to make even a token effort to win over the left (or even better: normal people!) and motivate them to go to the polls for you. Hilary and Biden can't even manage that.

But instead of blaming the singular candidate for their failure, or even the relatively small DNC for being wrong - idiots like Bill blame the MILLIONS of non-voters who weren't SUPER JAZZED by the message of "anyone but the other guy".

It's a popularity contest - you don't win by constantly repeating the opponent's name.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I quit the show when the pandemic hit and I have zero regrets. He seems to become more and more reactionary and lovely.

What throws me is I feel like no matter how smug and superstitious Bill was, he used to at least have on interesting guests now and then, but he seems to have banned anyone who might remotely challenge him on his bullshit or basically not be 100% full of poo poo?

Reza Aslan is pretty loving safe for liberals, but he at least had some non-mainstream information to put out there - it's wild to me that he probably hasn't been on the show in over a decade?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

Maher has basically been Joe Rogan minus the steroids for many years
Bill's been a lot worse than Rogan, which hurts to say.

Joe will have Abbie Martin on talking about what's happening in Palestine. (And will just stupidly ask "well, when an entire nation's army busts down a man's doors and kicks him and his family out of their house to bulldoze it, why would you not simply jiujitsu/gun your way out?")

Modern Bill Maher would simply not have an Abbie Martin on the show, and if any guest so much as suggested Palestinians had human rights, they would never be asked to return.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Gotta ask the question, was the show ever good?

He definitely gets worse and more brain-wormed and lazy every year which has infected everything, but the intro jokes and New Rules had a set of writers who I thought might occasionally do a Good One.

My slightly more centre-left self used to really enjoy the show somewhere around 8-15 years ago. I feel like it was good at attacking Bush and the war on terror, but I do wonder if it was a bit "mr president, have you considered that you're a dumb hillbilly" vs any serious historical or ideological understanding of any injustice.

And the guest pool obviously got worse, he used to occasionally have people on with an interesting and non-reactionary point of view. I realise Reza Aslan has a pretty basic political understanding but he was a breath of loving fresh air in the late 2000s and it feels like Bill would NEVER have him on now.

I even remembered watching and enjoying Religilous as a teen, but even then I was like "bit of a weird focus on the Muslims, huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Man, Seth MacFarlane handled this pretty gracefully. I have a lot of criticisms for this guy, but he stayed cool and only pushed when he should have to avoid it becoming too aggressive, and letting Bill hang himself.

But yeah, Bill SUCKS.
https://twitter.com/LaurenJauregui/status/1741239861443506669