Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I hope Maher was bluffing about a Trump superstacked panel next week...

he was. the lineup is eva longoria, tim ryan, richard haas, and john avlon

Super Deuce posted:

I don't know why you guys are saying talking about Russia's involvement is a joke. It clearly is part of what and how this all happened.

russia most likely was up to some shenanigans but they're not the reason clinton decided to air 9 times more ads in los angeles than milwaukee or ignore any updated field data coming from state or county offices

the whole OMG RUSSIA STOLE ELECTION ZDRAVSTVUJ TOVARISCH TRUMP is primarily a smokescreen from establishment dems to silence any criticism about why they've completely poo poo the bed at every level over the past decade

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bass Bottles posted:

Do you honesty think any amount of visits, advertisements, or money could have changed the outcome of the election?

if by any you mean a nonzero amount, then yes

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vodos posted:

I'm not saying that the Russian government didn't do the DNC hacks, but I've yet to see any actual evidence that they did. The early reports from that private security firm hired by the DNC were like "yeah these were super professional and highly organized hackers that could only be run by a government" while in the same breath saying "they were stupid and disorganized enough to use IPs linked to Russian hackers and yandex.ru emails (which is Russian gmail)". Then we get the "damning" report which starts with a big-rear end disclaimer saying it's pure speculation and there's no guarantee that anything in it is accurate. From the same people who brought you WMDs and yellow cake. And the guy who testified to Congress that the NSA isn't spying on Americans. And they're saying "we got the evidence but we can't show you because reasons, just trust us ok, we need another Cold War!".

i think the more damning thing is john podesta clicking on an obvious phishing email link that even your grandma at this point knows is bullshit

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
did norquist get in his vaping reference like he promised on twitter?

i had to bail about 10 minutes into the panel because it was just too annoying

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

I don't remember but somehow I'm not shocked to learn that that gasbag is a vape enthusiast.

it's nearly taken over taxes as his primary obsession

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
why hasn't piers morgan been dissolved in a vat of acid yet

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SyRauk posted:

Several of my friends didn't even vote because we live in Texas and they don't believe their votes even matter. They are partly correct but can never give me a valid excuse about voting in local elections.

funnily enough texas was actually the state clinton improved on obama's performance the most

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zogo posted:

Trump better make some REALLY dumb decisions soon. Invade somewhere like GWB maybe.

good news

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/politics/pentagon-considering-recommending-combat-troops-in-syria/

Tweak posted:

So what you're saying is your threshold for something to complain about is really, really high? Like, I guess the world didn't fall into complete disarray since November but that doesn't mean there hasn't been plenty of dumb poo poo and in some cases horrible poo poo that has happened to be concerned about.

yeah trump hasn't done a whole lot yet because his entire administration is incompetent as gently caress, but either they'll stick around long enough to figure out how to start getting poo poo done, or he'll resign/be removed/die and pence will take the reigns

at the same time what they have managed to accomplish has been pretty terrible and there's not really much stopping them beyond a few federal circuit courts for the time being. congressional republicans have already stated openly they're never going to go after one of their own no matter what, and the fbi has refused to investigate flynn. once gorsuch or whoever is installed, there's basically going to be zero checks on the administration unless they do something that tickles clarence thomas' weird 4th amendment boner

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maybe Bill should find out why people are outraged before calling people snowflakes.

semi-related but jeremy scahill was scheduled to appear this friday and cancelled because of milo

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/832011012018728960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 16, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
having never heard him speak before tonight, i don't think people dislike milo because of his words but because he's even more annoying than piers morgan

if it wasn't for the nazi shtick he'd be making catty comments about selena gomez on tmz

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

Larry hit much better in OT. Kingston actually said Hillary would still be worse than Trump, even with all of these revelations (things we knew but had to wait to really know)... What the gently caress.

kingston doesn't break kayfabe

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

It doesn't mean anything, because he meant to say Lena Dunham, which also doesn't really mean anything beyond the standard alt right braying of snowflakes and trigger warnings and cuck, etc etc.

She just has a really unfunny show that young white men aren't the target audience for. And it's right there in the fuckin' title too.

it's a pretty good shorthand for the party's abandonment of labor and economic equality for a sort of half-baked social inclusivity as dictated by white people of means

e: the party of aaron sorkin or the party of hamilton the musical work just as well

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

He's not saying anything similar, actually. Bill said something really dumb with the "how can a woman rape a man?" question, but I'd guess at this point he doesn't hold such a view. If he does, it's really bad, but I'd be hesitant to judge based on that question 20-years ago. Like I said, there is an actual discussion that we as a society won't have for no good reason about ages of consent being fluid, as evidenced by every state having a different one. Yes, 14 (and younger in the instance Bill is talking about in the clip) is very often far too young for a person to be able to make such decisions. However, not always. The problem with Milo's clip was that he said it's good, not that he said people at the age of puberty may possibly have more sexual decision making authority than they currently do.

the context of that clip which bill says isn't rape is a 34 year old teacher loving her 12 year old student

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

I'm aware. He didn't say it's good. He said it's possibly consensual. Sexual decisions of consent, including crimes, all need to be looked at individually. I don't think anybody should be loving someone that age, but I won't ignore the possibility that maybe the kid was in a sound mental place when deciding to. That's what Bill said. The bad thing about what Bill said was the "how can a woman rape a man?" line. Not that he said to judge the cases by themselves.

it was his teacher so the kid wasn't in a position to give consent either way. that's why states consider it a crime even if the student is of the age of consent

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zogo posted:

"The resistance" and Bill's red scare are two of the odd things this season. For half a century liberals decried McCarthyism but it's appearing to come back in a new form and on the other side now.

there's a big difference in that there's easily verifiable connections between trump and members of his administration and russia

that being said it's not like a) they're doing anything in terms of backdoor deals we haven't done with a dozen other tinpot 3rd world dictatorships and b) it's not like russia is dictating our foreign policy to disastrous ends any more than israel or saudi arabia

Bass Bottles posted:

Please don't buy into Trump's stupid lies.

The Iraq war was not the fault of the intelligence agencies. It was the fault of the Bush administration taking whatever tiny excuses they could find for a war and running with them. Blame Dick Cheney.

This kind of simplistic, impulsive rejection of our institutions is dangerous because it plays right into the hands of.... would-be autocratic rulers who may wish to undermine our democracy......

It's sort of like how people are turning against the media for the wrong reasons. The media is bad because they spend too much time talking about celebrity gossip, not because they're pushing a political agenda. But that's the new narrative. "FAKE NEWS."

We're gonna lose our democracy and it will be because of these Knee-jerk dismissals of our institutions.

there's a very bleak irony in putting faith in the cia to maintain our democratic institutions

but i guess it's like the fact the isi is the only thing keeping pakistan from nuking india

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 23, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
bitching about hillary rigging the primary by using her connections in the party to block out other candidates is stupid because that's exactly how obama beat her in 08

that being said this

Oh Snapple! posted:

There's a reason Bernie was both a surprise contender an an early warning sign that things were not going to go well for Clinton.

is 100% correct

Harton posted:

Then on top of that Bernie is an independent, he should expect a little favoritism when he runs as a democrat. Life ain't fair, he should have came out punching and touring the south like crazy I don't know. Me and my wife voted for him and I was disappointed he didn't win.

i'm not sure how much good that would've done everything else being the same, but had he won iowa outright rather than come up with a draw, he definitely would've made things far more difficult for her in the southern primaries and elsewhere

but even that again should've been a huge red flag for the party at large that clinton was dangerously weak

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 24, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

What about them feeding her debate questions ahead of time?

I don't think it really made a difference, but the DNC was definitely favoring Hillary unfairly and unethically.

haha yeah that was more donna brazile being an idiot

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

I mean I'm not disagreeing that it was the dumbest and probably least effective way to rig a primary but she was trying to. Who knows what else they tried? :tinfoil:

i think it was mostly just taking advantage of weird calvinball-level procedural rules at caucuses and poo poo like what happened in nevada, but everyone from obama to ron paul has done that

there was a precinct in iowa where the winner was determined by a series of 6 coin flips and people got all angry about it claiming it was rigged despite the fact that you have something like a 15% chance of getting all heads or tails

to be clear they were angry about the result, not the fact that the winner was determined by coin toss

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

What did Spicey say about weed today? Jesus.

yesterday, and they're planning on going after states that legalized recreational weed

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

The overwhelming majority of drug law enforcement is done by state and local police anyway, it would be monumentally expensive to mount any kind of widespread crackdown on legal recreational weed. In any case I wish Maryland would get its poo poo together on this medical weed thing.

federal raids on dispensaries are commonplace already. and you're talking about an administration that's gonna spend over $100 million/yr on travel and security alone plus plans to waste at least $20 billion on a stupid wall

at any rate if they try to do any massive action against multiple states it'll definitely set up a court challenge, but the plan as with stuff like attacking sanctuary cities is to overwhelm each one so that they accomplish what they want before any case can be heard

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zogo posted:

There were easily verifiable connections between Hollywood actors and various communist parties throughout the world. Some were blacklisted for life and hid in shame. Others continued to work and put out good stuff under pseudonyms.

and they mostly went to a few meetings and bailed out; it's not like dalton trumbo was singing the internationale while writing roman holiday. also they're actors and writers, not elected officials or high-ranking staff. totally different thing from paul manafort or mike flynn's level of involvement. don't be obtuse

quote:

Six straight flips of head or tails would be 1 in 64 or 1.56%. Roughly at least as coin flips aren't 50/50 contrary to popular belief.

whoops missed the decimal. still the point is it happens and people had a hard time believing that

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah he barely squeaked by last november and clinton won his district by something like 6 or 7 percent

it's one of the ones the dccc is targeting for 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

2. Trump got about as many votes as Mitt Romney. He didn't add anything to the process. His campaign just won electoral votes where Hillarys campaign stupidly ignored. Republicans would be Just Fine without MAGA support because they've built their party from the local level up.

nah he got a couple million more than romney and did slightly better than bush in 04. ofa/hfa just majorly poo poo the bed between 2008 and 2016

but yeah, the gop spent the past 50 years building a gotv operation that the dems have only started trying to compete with in the past decade or so

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Adjusted for the increase number of the voting age eligible voters, Trump got the same amount of votes as Romney.

trump's gain in vote total over romney came almost entirely from middle aged voters

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zogo posted:

I agree that what's going on isn't explicitly McCarthyism as they're not exactly the same situations. It's just coming across as paranoia and hysteria. The US has had dealings with Russia/USSR (and its many forms) going back for centuries.

unauthorized private citizens aren't allowed to act on behalf of the government or a potential future administration with foreign officials

that, along with the fact that everyone in the trump administration is currently tripping over their own dicks to cover up their contacts is why this is turning into a big deal

i agree maher was being hyperbolic at the time, which sucks since now it looks like there really is something going on

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 3, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Godscock posted:

The issue with Trump being buddies with Putin (this is different than having a direct line to the Kremlin) is Putin is clearly eroding whatever progress Russia has had since the end of the Cold War.

they didn't have any progress after the cold war

things were already kinda bad beforehand, but got ridiculously worse once yeltsin was put in office and began selling off state resources en masse

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zogo posted:

I think everyone here could agree that it's nothing new. Bill's acting like this junk is unprecedented.

not really no, the level of involvement between russian foreign policy officials and private citizens who then joined the administration is pretty new

and i'm not saying this is some secret russian coup; it's mostly the trump administration being idiots and picking people who've got too many conflicts of interest. hence the army and navy secretary nominees dropping out

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bass Bottles posted:

No one is "disallowing" fresh blood, people are voting how they feel is best. If you don't get the votes you don't get the power. Do what you need to do to get there, or other people will instead. That's how it works.

funnily enough that's what's been happening the past couple months as sanders supporters have started running for and winning local and state party office elections

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zogo posted:

So you wouldn't draw comparisons to Reagan with Iran in the late 1970s?

i think nixon and anna chennault in 68 is a closer comparison but still not exact

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Politically Incorrect was a great show, often despite Maher. He got some great lineups on there, like Marilyn Manson turning Mom Brady into a fan, or the time Tim Leary was too sick to appear so he sent Robert Anton Wilson in his place

a couple episodes back on chapo they talked about maher and panel shows in general and how they're useless as a vehicle for political discussion because the format makes it impossible for people to present their best argument, which is valid, but ignores the real draw of the show at least in the politically incorrect days was putting prople from wildly disparate backgrounds in the same room to yak about a topic

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the other thing is 3/4 of the guests now are pr people and party hacks who spend all day on the cable news circuit

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
oh good they only have bugchaser sullivan and barney frank on and yet somehow it inevitably devolves into bitching about these drat kids

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

One day someone's going to try and bomb an insurance company building instead of a post office, and that will be an indicator that things have gotten really bad.

that seems like a much smarter move now, post offices at least provide a useful service

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ochowie posted:

That whole segment really got to me as I think Maher was particularly lacking self-awareness. If he were to go back and look at his segment with Milo it should be apparent that having him on had no tangible benefit except for giving yet another platform to someone far out on the idiotic fringe. I definitely don't agree with the violence committed by the people who co-opted the Berkeley protest but I think those college students are well within their right to (peacefully) protest a speaker that they feel shouldn't be given a platform. At some point you have to ask yourself, what can you really gain from debating someone who is basically a Nazi?

according to maher him giving milo yabbadabbadopolis a platform raised his profile sufficiently to cause people to find out he's nambla but for real so you're welcome liberals

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Space Fish posted:

Maher: "I mean gosh, if only there was a platform for Muslims to speak truth to power and show solidarity as Americans against the tide of xenophobia and suspicion, but where are they, they need to take responsibility..."
Me: "SO HOST SOME MUSLIM SPOKESPEOPLE ON YOUR SHOW AND QUIT BITCHING TO CELEBRITIES AND PUNDITS WHO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ISSUE"

tbf once in a blue moon he brings out rula jebreal to get yelled at by some republican ex-congressman turned defense lobbyist from east shitfuck arkansas

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gimmedaroot posted:

The reason we aren't having issues with Indonesians is because we aren't invading their loving country. They are playing ball with us when it comes to oil, so there is no war with Indonesia.

also our decades of supporting their right wing dictatorships

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Former Human posted:

Hmm, Roger Stone and Rick Santorum on the same episode. Do I even bother watching?

santorum carrying water for the white house and neera tanden's hilarious line about the russkies attacking clinton from the left and the right, that was about it

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol if your state legally recognizes third parties other than libertarians

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bass Bottles posted:

I used to think Jill Stein was unqualified due to her extremely limited government experience but Trump has lowered the bar so much I'd probably be fine with it if she won somehow.

there was a brief bit on chapo a while back about how trump's basically permanently tarnished the notion of respecting the office

we're never gonna get the smell of hardee's out of the oval office furniture

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol the lapd didn't get any better post-consent decree

the same lapd that emptied several magazines into some random lady's truck during the manhunt for chris dorner that didn't even remotely match the description of his vehicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WaryWarren posted:

Oh God, another episode. Who were the guests?

evan mcmuffin, ana navarro, ted liu, and chelsea handler

jelani cobb was the interview guest

not much happened except navarro decided she's cool with trump because he fired missiles at syria