Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Holy gently caress that Bill Maher and Cornerl West exchange was awful. Maher is such a moron. Actually believing Pence wouldn't be worse than Trump? Thinking it was the "holier than thou" leftists who sat out the election is why Hillary lost rather than Obama rural voters flipping to Trump or people sitting out voting? Holy poo poo.

Don't forget Cornell West explaining to that piece of poo poo David Frum (this guy vigorously promoted the Iraq War before the invasion) the CIA's history of overthrowing democratically elected governments for the last seventy years, and that we shouldn't empower them in order to fight Trump. Really, West was dealing with two retards on the panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I don't want Maher to get fired. Real Time and GoT are why I subscribe to HBO.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

PT6A posted:

Not only are Muslim extremists not a bigger threat to Americans than right-wing white extremists,

lol

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Aves Maria! posted:

the truth isn't really that funny

Apoplexy posted:

Muslim extremists want to kill us all and have no power to do so. American Nazis want to kill us all and have all the loving guns. You really think 'lol' means anything other than 'I'm just racist against brown-skinned people' here?

Groovelord Neato posted:

right wing extremists literally control the government.

coyo7e posted:

Recently in a city less than 2 hours drive away from me, two white people were stabbed to death by a racist white guy, and a third got his throat cut the gently caress open as well... By a white dude shouting about his right to free speech.

A couple days later, another racist white guy attacked a TriMet driver while shouting racist bullshit.

The only "lol" that ought to be included here, is the "lol, white people really still think that they are not part of the problem?"

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

why did you quote me being right and follow it with lol? i need this explained to me. thanks.

Wahhabism/right-wing Islam is arguably the most well financed extremist ideology on this planet, and the American military has been doing their dirty work in the Middle East on behalf of their oil for the last sixty years. Meanwhile, Richard Spencer gets his rear end beat in public by hippies wherever he goes.

Forgive me if I find the former more alarming.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Aves Maria! posted:

but you're right, it's muslim extremism that kills/oppresses black people on a near daily basis

Capitalism is responsible for that, actually.

Matt Zerella posted:

Both can be and are bad, y'all.

But this viewpoint doesn't get you airtime or ratings on CNN and FOX.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Aves Maria! posted:

lol yes, it's capitalism that makes white people afraid of black people. not racist ideology

Capitalism is the primary force behind it. Perhaps you've never heard of private prisons and the militarization of the police.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

satire died on november 8, 2016.

We still have Hillary in denial about losing to a flamboyant billionaire buffoon.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Bass Bottles posted:

I like Trevor Noah. 🤷‍♀️

Trevor Noah is hot garbage who's never had an original thought in his life.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Bass Bottles posted:

Don't sign your posts

I was Born A Crime though.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

coyo7e posted:

... Oh I'm sorry you only will accept atrocities formally funded and run by a distinct church?

https://adarapress.com/2015/05/15/roman-catholic-priests-ran-half-the-concentration-camps-in-croatia/

https://promoteliberty.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/catholic-extermination-camps/

I mean let's be frank, Catholics (Christians) have ben responsible for a hell of a lot of death. Not just molesting kids. I don't even know how many Crusades happened, they mainly run together except for the really exceptional ones... Children's Crusade, anybody?

Centrist #36328 (you) cites the crusades as a counter-argument to the issue of 21st century Wahhabism financed by the oil and gas trade. How original and insightful. :bravo:

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

So is Ice Cube going to make Maher kiss his hairy rear end on live TV tomorrow South Park style for using the n-word?

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

PT6A posted:

Honestly, I think he hosed himself pretty hard this week -- worse than last week. Yeah, everyone makes a mistake, and he made a big one. But he had a week to think about it, reflect on why the thing he said was so hurtful toward black people, and three different, extremely on-point, intelligent, politically astute black people telling him exactly why what he did was unacceptable, and he hosed it up. At that point, it's no longer just a mistake in the heat of the moment.

I think he'll probably keep his show, though, since the important things were:

1) He did a flashy bad thing that attracted everyone's attention
2) He made a flashy apology for that bad thing

Sadly, the nuance of the situation, both this week and last week, is probably inconsequential, for better or worse for him personally.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

This episode was predictable bullshit. No sparks flew.

3/10

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The Breitbart guy got dogpiled on during overtime.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Gimmedaroot posted:

Bretibart recently lost more than 1000 advertisers. You can't blame that on sensitive snowflakes.

Breitbart 'News' is almost fully subsidized by the Mercer family. They dumped $11 million into it a few years back, which is chump change to a family worth over $30 billion. They'll be fine, and it's hilarious watching them imply otherwise.

gently caress Breitbart, but I am concerned about corporations - who have enough power and influence already - in general controlling speech and content through advertisers. This really is an extension of the immense problem of corporate media altogether; specifically in their refusal to (accurately) cover the dispossession and material interests of the poor. I like how Bill brought it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

IRQ posted:

It was hilarious to see that little breitbart gremlin claim that corporations were controlling their first amendment right to free speech by choosing not advertise on their lovely website. Entitled much, snowflake?

It's always fun to see virulent 'free market' advocates such as O'Reilly and Breitbart News get destroyed by the very system they promote 24/7.