Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Apoplexy posted:

probably going to be the nominee and then president

Keep dreaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm extremely disconcerted about how much I don't hate John Avlon in this. He's always been such a twit, and he's... not... here.

EDIT: How loving high is Maher tonight? This Neil deGrasse Tyson interview is extremely cringeworthy.

He really needs to cut back on the weed, he was even more of an embarrassment to himself than usual.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 4, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bill just said they booked him in the future without a date.

Piers and JK Rowling are in some feud now over his appearance last night.:lol:

The feud was just JK Rowling tweeting about how satisfying it was to see Piers being told to gently caress off on live TV (a thing which no reasonable person can possibly disagree with, IMHO), and then Piers being a petulant little twat about it like he always is, with a side-dish of being a smug rear end in a top hat who considers himself too good for popular media like Harry Potter and Star Wars.

He could use another punch in the face, is Clarkson available?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

gently caress you. I went to public school for just two years of my K-12 and was so bullied (including theft, assaults, and death threats) that I would have committed suicide and not been here today if I had gone to the public high school.

This is the problem with addressing private education: societally, it's incredibly easy to see that the problem with private schools is that those with means use them to escape lovely public schools, which they then ignore and de-fund; however, addressing this by simply saying "no more private education" right away means that the cost for the eventual improvement of the public school system will be measured, in some cases, in human lives, not to mention kids that suffer other problems as a result of substandard public schools. That's also unconscionable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Did Bill actually say the n-word just then?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

"Let me, a white person, explain to black people when and when not to feel upset about someone saying a racial slur. The poor dears probably just don't understand the subtle nuances of white comedy."

If you're white, it's none of your goddamn business. You can hold the opinion that it was wrong for Bill to say that, you can hold the opinion that it was okay, but ultimately it doesn't matter. Each black person, individually, gets to make the choice as to how unacceptable they feel it was. Some black people think it was okay, a lot think it wasn't, and it ain't white people's place to tell either group they're wrong.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

wow you're right, a character saying something in a movie is exactly the same as a comedian saying something on a talk show.

It's all so clear to me now!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If you don't understand the difference between a real person and a role in a movie, I'm not sure I can explain it to you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

“Friday nights are always my worst night of sleep because I’m up reflecting on the things I should or shouldn’t have said on my live show,” Maher said in a brief statement Saturday. “Last night was a particularly long night as a I regret the word I used in the banter of a live moment. The word was offensive and I regret saying it and am very sorry.”

I'm glad he didn't double down and start bitching about PC culture or something. Maybe that's just because he's afraid of the show getting canned though.

That's a pretty good statement, as far as damage control goes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

From what I've seen on Twitter, it seems like a lot of black people are pissed but in a, "you hosed up, now apologize and then don't do it again" sort of way, and some don't really seem to care either way, but some of the (non-black) Muslim political commentators I follow smell blood in the water and are really trying to make an issue of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

lol when I think leftists or even just people leftists should coddle I definitely think of a bigoted piece of poo poo like bill maher who never met a muslim he didn't want exterminated

The weirdest thing is that making a lovely joke that used the n-word could actually end him more plausibly than any of the other poo poo he's pulled. Let's face it: that "joke" wasn't even the most racist thing he said on Friday night's show.

Not only are Muslim extremists not a bigger threat to Americans than right-wing white extremists, ordinary Muslims are loving being targeted by both groups, both inside America and outside of America. And the KKK is a gently caress sight more of a problem for, you know, literally all the non-white people in America than some nebulous threat of Islamic terror. But, no: racism happens if and only if a white person says the n-word.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

Yes. They do. Everyone does. Are you an anti-dentite for making a dentist joke? No. It's a loving joke. Everyone can make any joke they want.

Indeed, everyone can make any joke they want. That doesn't give everyone a pass to say whatever they like, in the context of a joke, without any criticism for it ever.

George Carlin said the n-word. Louis CK had a bit about how "the n-word" was itself bullshit, because it makes you think about the actual word when you hear it (and he did say the actual word during that routine). I think they're both very funny comedians, and I don't think they're racist just for using that word*. Bill said that word, whilst making a joke about slavery; it was not a particularly funny joke, and it certainly could offend people. He's admitted that, and apologized for it. I don't think he hates black people, and I don't think he needs to be fired, but I can very easily believe both of those things while still admitting he shouldn't have said what he said.

I will also say this: I've made bad jokes of a racist character before in the heat of the moment, such as it is, and two things are true: yes, it's easy to get carried away without realizing it until it's too late, and, yes, you need to loving own it and apologize for being offensive. It shouldn't be the end of the world, but obviously the people who you offended should be satisfied that you're actually sorry for saying the thing you said, and not just sorry that you got caught. You don't get a pass for being offensive just because you were attempting humour at the time.

* Theoretically speaking, I personally would have no problem with saying the n-word in the context of a quote, or discussing the usage of the word, or singing along with rap songs, because I think saying the word is different from using the word; however, it's really not my place to set standards for the usage of racial slurs, and the people against whom those slurs are used say, for the most part, "don't say it ever" whether as a joke, or in a discussion of the word itself, or in the context of a quote, so I'm just not going to do it at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think Dyson was great, and Maher didn't take the opportunity he was given well at all. I don't think he hates black people, but I also don't think he understands the extent of his own privilege. It could've been a great starting point for an important conversation, Dyson threw the pitch right over the plate, and Maher whiffed on it big time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ice Cube delivered. Shut Bill right the gently caress up, and gave Symone Sanders a great opening too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honestly, I think he hosed himself pretty hard this week -- worse than last week. Yeah, everyone makes a mistake, and he made a big one. But he had a week to think about it, reflect on why the thing he said was so hurtful toward black people, and three different, extremely on-point, intelligent, politically astute black people telling him exactly why what he did was unacceptable, and he hosed it up. At that point, it's no longer just a mistake in the heat of the moment.

I think he'll probably keep his show, though, since the important things were:

1) He did a flashy bad thing that attracted everyone's attention
2) He made a flashy apology for that bad thing

Sadly, the nuance of the situation, both this week and last week, is probably inconsequential, for better or worse for him personally.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm Dan Savage's bright white sneakers and unbuttoned shirt from before Bill Maher ranted about how millennials dress like poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

No Luck Needed posted:

Bill tired of doing Overtime on youtube?

I also think the format of monologue, one on one interview, TWO guests and tack on guest, with new rules works OK for him

three guests should be right out

I agree, the third guest is usually either an insufferable rear end in a top hat trotted out in the name of some kind of ideological balance, or someone who never manages to get a word in edgewise.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think Bill hit the bong one time too many before the show, he was particularly crazy last night. Why the gently caress are you arguing about bread, you nitwit?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

rich thick and creamy posted:

Did anyone else get the impression that Maher didn't let *anyone* get a word in edgewise? He just kept jumping in and not even let his guests finish a thought. He might need to lay off whatever he snorted before going on last night.

Yeah, he was really loving intoxicated with something last night. That's the exact impression I got.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What is it with the "annoying atheist" brigade that blinds them to the inherently religious, bullshit nature of present Israeli foreign and domestic policy? I mean, I understand not liking the degree to which Islam is associated with law and government basically throughout the Middle East, but how in the actual gently caress is an explicitly religious, expansionist ethno-state the answer (or even an answer) to that problem? And worse: they seem to be cheering its most disgusting actions and worst excesses, to the point I imagine the Israeli left would be wondering "what the gently caress is wrong with these people?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Just want to put this out there: if you are dumb enough to eat a Tide Pod, I encourage you to eat as many Tide Pods as possible, and follow them with a bleach chaser just to make sure the job is finished. Why are we looking at this as a bad thing?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

I guess some day we'll look down on smokers for being so dumb as to breathe fire into their bodies and be shocked that the tobacco companies lied to them about health risks.

That day is 30 years ago.

Literally no one ever thought smoking wasn't bad for you on some level. It's self-evident, it makes you cough, makes it more difficult to breathe, and affects the oxygen capacity of your blood. People smoke because it's enjoyable, and once you're physically addicted, not smoking is the opposite of enjoyable as well. Eating Tide Pods does not strike me as enjoyable on any level, so it really can't be compared.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gimmedaroot posted:

I just can't see West coming back. He's pro-Bernie, he criticized Obama, his friend Tavis Smiley has been tossed in with the rest of the #metoo offenders (despite this week's final Rule, it won't influence guests), he's firmly against Israel's policies against Palestinians...the only way Maher has political opponents on his show is if they are Republican morons. Maher will make the excuse of not having West on because he's too far left. However neo-cons like David Frum are perfectly fine since they are teaming up with neo-libs in their mutual hatred of Trump. There's as much chance of having West back as there is bringing back West's friend and fellow progressive professor Richard Wolff.

There was the whole thing where Cornel West went loving nuts and attacked Ta-Nehisi Coates, so maybe let's not pretend there aren't some very good reasons he should be excluded.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

"Billy Bush, the panel got together and decided to serve you a heaping portion of: your own rear end."

Watching that gently caress get destroyed filled me with a deep satisfaction.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wow, Bill is loving super bad and wrong tonight.

Roseanne good, David Hogg bad :rolleyes:

You smoked too big a weed tonight, Bill.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

While I appreciate why it's a bit of a sore spot for him, he doesn't seem to acknowledge that, unlike Laura Ingraham, he's not a completely garbage human being, so it's a different situation.

And they were correct: this shouldn't have been the thing that finally takes Ingraham down. Many, many other things should've done first. But, on the other hand, I'm not upset that this is the one that's taking her down, and I also don't think it would've be possible if she was an otherwise decent person who made one simple mistake.

Basically, all Bill's whining seemed like:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Like anyone is going to boycott HBO over Bill Maher. Dude busted out the n-word and survived it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I am willing to bet that Peterson and Maher together will be Extremely Bad and I wish Maher and the show's staff would exercise better judgement regarding not having toxic assholes like that on. Maher is tolerable, but only when his moron guests don't bring out the very worst of his impulses.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Well, that'll pretty much do it. Thanks.

He's a particularly insidious form of human trash because, unlike someone like Alex Jones or Donald Trump or Ben Shapiro, it's not immediately obvious that he's an awful person. He's very adept at seeming reasonable while espousing terrible, terrible opinions, and that's a big reason I think his appearance on Bill Maher is going to be a complete garbage fire.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why has Kermit the frog tucked his tie into his pants? What a pillock.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why shouldn't Avenatti run for office? He obviously has a gift for publicity and self-promotion, fairly decent instincts, and he knows the law. I have no idea if it's something that interests him in any way, but he certainly seems like he'd be a decent candidate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Who would've guessed there's be someone so, so goddamn dumb that even Bill Maher could repeatedly own them?

Ross Douthat is that dumb. He is a broken clock that inexplicably appears to be correct even less than twice per day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

huge pile of hamburger posted:

Duncan Hunter is a literal moron

True!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think it's really easy for atheists, in general, to get caught up in Islamophobia, because speaking from my own experience growing up in a completely non-religious household, in very non-religious places in general, it's a little difficult to understand why someone would practice a religion in a non-fundamentalist way, so there's a constant suspicion that religious people are always batshit insane just underneath the surface, and that paranoia is only exacerbated by cultures that put a high value on religious identity, and religions that people may not have closely encountered.

It's not until I had a good friend who was a practising Muslim that I reexamined my feelings toward Islam and Muslims in general. I suspect Bill just hasn't had that, and he's been such a vocal rear end in a top hat about his Islamophobia for so long that I doubt he ever will. It's too bad, but I can accept that he's got an interesting perspective at times, and a decent show, even if he really loving pisses me off sometimes. The comments on Israel this week were inexcusable, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

As far as I"m concerned, Islamophobia is a nonsense term, because phobia means it's irrational. It's not irrational to be fearful of all religions, as (practically) all religion is terrible and support rape, murder, etc.

I don't care if some religious person you know is the nicest grandmother you've ever met. Either they're stupid for only "believing" parts of their bullshit religion as it only would make any divine sense if it's an all or nothing deal, or they're a fundamentalist who, by their own texts, is supposed to be killing everyone else. Not really a phobia to be afraid of that.

Bill talks about Islam more, and sees more Islamic area murdering in the name of that faith because it happens more in the name of that faith in the political (and real) world. I'm sure you'd all do your podcasts differently, but when its his job to talk about what's in the loving news, he'll talk about what's in the loving news.

If you want to bitch about what he actually said, do it. Using your buzzword bullshit to either join in on a dogmatic bandwagon or trying to create one does nothing but help other, similarly dogmatic agendas such as whatever the gently caress the Trump cult is or other terrorist organizations who thrive on separation of everyone but themselves.

Good job illustrating my point, I guess?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hey guys religion is bad and irrational and now on a different subject let me tell you why a religious Apartheid state based on continuous settler colonialism is just the greatest :smuggo:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Former Human posted:

I can't decide if Colion Noir is dishonest or profoundly ignorant. Bill pointed out the gun show loophole and Wayne LaPierre's flip-flopping on guns in schools, then Neera Tanden made a bunch of counter arguments to Colion's dumb talking points during Overtime. The guy seemed genuinely surprised, like that was the first time he had heard any of that information. Maybe read up a little on your own position before going on TV.

Hey who would've guessed that the NRA's (Paid) Black Friend would turn out to be an idiot? My god, I'm sure shocked at that, let me tell you!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

God the democratic congressman was uninspiring.

I AM WHITE HU-MON MALE, PLEASE ENTER SET UP FOR TALKING POINT...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Franken take is not great, but it's nowhere near as offensive as the throwaway "even Indians can do it!" line or whatever. Frankly, that was worse and deployed with even less thought than the infamous "house [n-word]" comment and no one seems to be paying attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

No jokes allowed on this comedy show!

Implying that something is so easy even the Indians can do it isn't a joke, it's just racist.

It's not clever, it's not funny, it's just an implication that Native Americans are stupid or incompetent.