Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

:stare:

Holy poo poo this interview is one of the most awkward things I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Former Human posted:

I like Julian Schnabel's films but Bill really needs to drop the fourth guest altogether. All it does is slow down the show and cut out a ton of time from the panel discussion.

Doesn't help when Julian Schnabel's brains fall out of his head and he totally locks up.

Still not as weird as that hostile interview with the Kennedy. God drat that was JUST WEIRD. It was like both parties didn't want to do the interview. What was the point of having him on?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Dudebro posted:

I didn't get the sense of weirdness. He wanted to talk about mentally disabled people and promote his cause, which he did, and Bill agreed. I love that little compassionate speech that Shriver did in overtime and Bill made a great joke out of it.

I didn't see overtime yet. I got the sense at the interview at the start that Shriver was kind of annoyed with what Bill was saying and kind of acted like he thought Bill was inmature, and Bill was kind of reacting to him acting that way and saying more cringe inducing things like the whole discussion on the word retard. Why bring up all that stuff if you knew he protested it unless it was to throw it in his face how big of a prude he is. It was just really uncomfortable to watch because of this.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

The Schriver interview was awful.

Either Bill did not understand the purpose of him being on the show (To promote his cause) or Bill does not believe in the cause.

Bill blew it on that one. Very poorly done.

That guy seemed standoffish from the moment he sat down. I think Bill was just reacting to it.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

It was impossible for me to take Dr. Kaku seriously because he makes weekly appearances on GameTrailers TV to talk about the scientific soundness of Super Mario Brothers.

Watching now. Panel just started. How awkward is this? I love it when it is awkward.

EDIT: Oh, Ed and Steele. Ok yeah haha ok I get the comments now. Ed is going to at least be right if not restrained and Steele is going to live in his fantasy bubble like he does in every interview he ever does. This man is so sad. He always looks so defensive because he knows his party is insane and he doesn't really know why he is doing it anymore. I think he is milking his 15 minutes.

EDIT 2: How can Steel say "that's not right" to "Letting the Bush tax cuts expire solves 75% of the problem". Do these people have no shame?

This chick on the panel is sending mixed messages and she is reeking of :smug:. Not a fan.

JESUS STEEL. Tax cuts do not loving raise revenue. These people are insane.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 16, 2011

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

SERIOUS posted:

I have never seen Ed Shultz before today and all I can say after this episode is I sincerely never want to see or hear him ever again.

Are you just annoyed with his personality or don't agree with him?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

I hate Michael Steele because he is so dishonest. I have never seen Ed before, is he an MSNBC guy?

Ed has a show on MSNBC. I don't get why people have a problem with him. Yeah he is fired up, but considering what he is fired up about who can blame him. I saw someone earlier bring up that he was originally conservative like it might be evidence that he is a phony or something but if you actually know the details of his story you can see why he changed his mind.

From the wikipedia article on Ed:

In the late 1990s, several events occurred which he said changed his political leanings to a more liberal understanding. One was his mother's (a former educator) battle with Alzheimer's Disease which began a long, slow decline of her mental health. Schultz found it frustrating trying to get her the services that she needed. The other was that he met a psychiatric nurse named Wendy who ran a homeless shelter in Fargo.[11] He attributed much of his political change to her, and although he had criticized the homeless on his show, he said in his book that she helped to humanize them. To his surprise, he found that some of the people he had insulted were veterans, and many were unable to get the psychiatric or medical services that might help them. He says that was the moment he began to look at poverty differently.[12]

He became a Democrat in 2000 marking the formal turn in his politics from conservative to liberal. He went out to do radio promotions in rural North Dakota, and told reporters about how he met farmers who were suffering and hard-working people who were going hungry, even though Republicans said the economy was doing fine. (Vowell 2004) He began to hold benefits to raise money for people in the heartland who were going through tough times.[13] In addition, he began questioning some of the assertions of George W. Bush; although he supported several Republican candidates in the 2000 election, he was becoming critical of other Republicans. Schultz considered running for the Democratic-NPL party nomination for governor against incumbent Republican John Hoeven in 2004, but decided to continue his career in radio.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Episode kicks rear end so far. Watching David Frum is kind of cringe inducing.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

Another episode where the conservative just embarrasses himself. Why can't you be a conservative and give your opinions without being dishonest?

My hunch is that their beliefs are based in dishonesty to begin with. Frum is scared to death of being left to the side of the road by the idiots that now control "his" party, yet he won't acknowledge they control his party now.

He seems like a smart guy mostly so I have no idea how to explain him. Frum is crazy I guess.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Salam is loving insufferable. Other than that, good episode but not the best in terms of writing. I hate how salam just shakes his head at whatever the other guys would say, seemingly just out of habit.

It's funny. When I watch him do the head shaking all I can figure is that is him having this mental debate like so: "well jesus what they are saying is right, but I don't like it, but factually they are right, but drat I hate that......but they are right I thing....ughh!". Continue until he admits he is wrong or head explodes.

richardfun posted:

Just watched the first five minutes, and Clarke makes a red shirt reference. Loving this man already.

Yeah that was great.

Overall a good episode. I am really excited for Zach Galifianakis next week. He was awesome the last time he was on.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

IRQ posted:

Hoooo boy, off to a horrible start. Tiger Mom turbobitch as the guest.

And bill agrees with this bitch. Which, I guess isn't surprising since he's said he hates children.

You don't think there is this "child worship" thing going on with middle-upper class American society?

EDIT: Honestly what was so bad about her? I'm watching it right now and she isn't even that over the top. She's actually pretty fair and honest I guess. Not sure what you were watching.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 21, 2011

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Loved all the comedy to be had from Weinergate. It was probably due to the alcohol but I was laughing so hard it hurt at one point.

Adam McKay was loving funny too.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

That was the most uncomfortable episode yet.

Really? Why exactly?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Yeah I gotta say I pretty much tuned out this week while watching it. The guy in the middle was pretty lame too. Just a pretty boring week. Oh well. Happens sometimes.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Kevin Nealon was awesome. Holy poo poo he is funny.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

-Atom- posted:

I laughed the hardest at Kevin's throw to a commercial. No idea why, he had stronger jokes in general but that hit the spot.

Yeah that one got me too. Wasn't he a weekend update anchor? Seemed like a callback to that. God he is funny.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

"working title: Whoops there's a dick in me". Haha nice burn.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Jesus that last section with Chaz got very uncomfortable for a bit.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Godinster posted:

Yeah it felt pointless. He/she is terribly uncharismatic and a boring guest. As much as I hate her, Ann Coulter is the best guest in a while. She's a humorless bitch normally but on Bill's show she seems to enjoy the sarcastic fun and attention.

Yeah she was fairly restrained tonight I was a bit shocked.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Wow. I am watching it right now and this interview with the old "i don't eat meat" guy is horrible. This guy has no sense of humor and he is totally eccentric and weird. He seems to be missing totally normal cues to let the audience in on what he is all about and maybe get them on his side.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

JerkyBunion posted:

Just because a feeling is understandable doesn't make it right.

Oh snap bro that was wikked tight the way you said that!

Grand Fromage posted:

The Republicans are good at politics, I don't think their real candidate has announced yet. I suspect they're letting people have at this list of poo poo for a while and then the Republican Jesus will emerge right before the primaries.

I don't know who that would be, but I can't see the GOP being this dumb. They're lovely at governing but good at winning.

Honestly though who is it? At this point all the people with the name recognition close to what Obama has are already on the field(and have proceeded to look like morons). Anyone the right introduces will have to work some magic like this world has not seen to become relevant beyond what they have now. Any serious person they try to trot out will be swallowed in the headline news cycle and chewed up unless they are crazy and offer some kind of crazy stunt or migraine crisis or some poo poo.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 22, 2011

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

dp

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Holy poo poo this libertarian/conservative guy is one of the most annoying asses I've ever seen.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Gillespie was one of the worst I've seen on the show---you could see it on Maher's face that he was just dumbstruck wanting to smack him upside the head on his mini-rant about "C'mon Bill, shut down your show, give up all your (IIRC electric?) cars, for Carbon~"

Strawman city at that part. I wanted to reach through the tv and strangle him at that part. "NOT THE SAME loving THING rear end in a top hat" is all I could think.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The swipe at the mayor was pretty low as well,

Yeah that was incredibly rude especially since that guy wasn't being a dick at all to him.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

ParagonParadox27 posted:

HEY MAN REAL PROUD OF ALL THEM POORS HUH :smug: is the epitome of libertarianism.

Lack of empathy for fellow human beings seems to be the defining trait in people like this guy and almost all conservatives/republicans. Why do they hate their fellow man so much!?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

JerkyBunion posted:

I was surprised Bill was completely ignorant of Michele Bachmann's Chutzpah.

I actually had not heard about this either but holy crap Bill kind of made me cringe there when he didn't get the joke. Even not knowing about the actual story above, you should be able to at least get the joke of dumbass Michelle Bachmann not knowing the pronunciation of that word and and trying to say it like it sounds thinking she is a big smarty pants that uses "crazy" words to sound smarter. People do that all the time and look like morons so I thought it was a fairly straight forward joke.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Just a heads up for any Breaking Bad fans that Bryan Cranston will be on the panel this week!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

At one point we the Dems had all the power, the Executive and both Houses and did nothing that people want.

Doesn't help that when you do try to do things the people want, people like Joe Lieberman gently caress it all up. Also blue dog democrats. It just boggles my mind when people say "they had both houses and the presidency" when in reality they only had control up to the point where the good ones wanted to do anything big.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

SERIOUS posted:

Oh, and the blonde lady's comments that atheism killed more people in the 20th century is beyond ridiculous, but I'm used to stupid arguments about atheism so that rolled off my back.

Felt like I was in a GBS thread and some moron was bringing up that false point which they always do. Sucked that Bill didn't get to explain how in those cases it wasn't the atheism that killed anyone.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Old lady in the middle: "Empire...huh...wha...uhhh?"

Guy to the left: "nine eleven! look....uhh i don't uhh....quite....uhh know what yer all takin bout but look muslims 9/11 never forget eagles 9/11"

Idiots. If you have a specific issue with the arguments posed by the sane people on the panel that are NOT mentioned above, please share.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Yeah holy crap O'Rourke was embarrassing to watch. I had to look away at one point when he was really being awkward. He did kinda seem like he was boozed up or something.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So who's on tonight anyways?

EDIT: Yeeeeah wow...forgot it was Tuesday. It's technically my "Friday" today at work, and I saw Real Time playing on the tv here.....it's been a long day.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 18, 2011

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

The right accuse the left of being arrogant. They are probably correct.

You have to consider why they think this though. It's not because anyone is actually being arrogant. They see some liberal person talking with a solid argument backed up by FACTS and they write them off as a snotty arrogant liberal because they can't come up with anything to rebuff them with that holds any water. It's just a defense mechanism because they are whining morons who stick to their guns and never admit being wrong rather then actually doing something good for the country.

SpaceMost posted:

The left accuse the right of being ignorant, &c.

Which is most cases is true. They are either being purposefully disingenuous or they are actually ignorant morons. Not sure which is worse but both are very bad for the country.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

Have you read the recent posts in this thread including my arrogance?

Come again? Not sure what you are getting at. Are you saying you are a liberal and admitting arrogance?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

Yes

Why is it arrogant to argue from a point of fact though? Ignorant people might read intelligence as arrogance but that doesn't mean we should embrace that label. Where did we go so wrong that it became snooty to know things?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

My ideal episode would be Maher + panel David Frum, Matt Taibbi, Some religious figure and then Colbert in charaacter as his 4th guest.

I fully support this. Where the hell has Matt Taibbi been this year anyways? He's the best.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

I don't want to dispute a fellow arrogant person but let's be honest, Rush doesn't give a crap about anything he says. It is just an act. These are just positions he creates to give him ratings.

At this point who knows when he is telling the truth. I have a hard time doubting it is ALL an act because he got kicked off monday night football because he couldn't control his comments like that. I doubt he would gently caress up an opportunity like that over a persona he was trying to project. Either way the man is a disease and needs to die.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

SpaceMost posted:

Well... When some industrious carny at a godforsaken state fair invents deepfried oxycodone, we can start a deathwatch.

One can always hope.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Watching the episode right now and it's a little cringe worthy to keep hearing Bill talk about Obama the badass who killed Gaddafi. It was a mob of angry rebels that pulled Gaddafi from a pipe while he yelled "don't shoot don't shoot!" and then some people in the crowd yelled "keep him alive!" but then he got shot in the arm, and then shot in the head when rebel forces and Gaddafi forces clashed shortly after. Point is he died in absolute chaos not some controlled attack and certainly nothing orchestrated by the White House. Not a big deal just kind of dumb to listen to.

But I did just love his line about "show the republicans his resume without the name and they would erect statues for this man". So true. Bunch of shitbags they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

bango skank posted:

Dude, I like the guy. I'm not attacking him. All I'm saying is his show is the liberal analogue of O'Reilly's, and it is in that conservatives probably look at it the way liberals do the Factor.

Back to Real Time discussion.

That's bullshit. Bill O is Comedy Central to Keith's extreme PBS. Comparing them is disingenuous and stop doing it. It's just something weak liberals do because they think they appear more reasonable when they do it. They don't realize they are already reasonable and it is they that are dealing with unreasonable poo poo bags otherwise known as conservatives.

Also you have to get over this idea that BILL and KEITH audiences are the same. They are not at all. People who live and breath on BILLOs word have no concept of fact. Name me one time Keith reported blatant lies?

Zogo posted:

I agree with that. They both also like to single out people as the "bad guys." O'Reilly has his "pinheads" segment and Olbermann has his "worst person's in the world."

And for the most part the pinheads are not really pinheads, and the worst persons are actually loving cunts. So?

Pinheads get called pinheads because of poo poo that BILLO doesn't understand. Worst persons usually are horrible or shitbags at least. Not seeing where Olbermann is exaggerating.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 23, 2011