Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe it seems like cheating but a tortilla press is a pretty great little invention if you're interested in making thin circles of dough.

I've only ever used mine for corn tortillas, flour I much prefer to roll out so I can get a larger, more oddly-shaped tortilla.

As for the splinters I have yet to experience any, possibly due to the 6061 metal. Mine is the newest at ~2 years old but in comparison to my mother's (~35) and grandmother's (~50) they're all equally smooth.

Although if you do cut one without a pipe cutter, do take care to round over and sand the ends a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Im shopping for a dutch oven. Anyone wanna recommend enameled vs bare cast iron?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Enameled is awesome if you can afford it, afaik that's the only reason to go bare. Bare will be fine on meaty/oily stuff, but anything acidic will risk loving up the seasoning.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ikea sells an enameled dutch oven that is quite affordable:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40131725

Just remember to check it for chips in the enamel. I've been extremely happy with mine.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

Steve Yun posted:

Im shopping for a dutch oven. Anyone wanna recommend enameled vs bare cast iron?
Bare sucks to use, because a lot of the long-cooked braises/stews and bean dishes have enough tomato to eat away the seasoning. Even though I'm pretty careful with mine, and oil it regularly, it has developed some rusty spots. Oh, and residual oil from the bottom leaves a sticky ring on anything it sits on.

HOWEVER, you get cookware you can safely use for hammering nails and beating up house intruders. Seriously, it's a hunk of solid iron -- it laughs at metal utensils and cooking in open fires.

Enameled is expensive and can develop cracks that harbor pathogens (which is part of why restaurants tend to avoid enameled cookware). The enamel can chip if you use metal utensils. Cheap enameled cookware made in China can contain toxic lead and cadmium which leach out into your food.

THAT SAID, my dad has a Le Creuset dutch oven that was his mother's wedding present. Yes, that's right, it has lasted for two generations, something like 50 years. The enamel is worn through in a few spots from frequent use, but it's still quite usable.

Personally, I've got both kinds of dutch ovens and have only needed them a half dozen times. I prefer to use a larger, thick, multi-ply pan that is fully oven safe. Easier to clean, conducts heat more evenly, but still has respectable heat capacity.

Acetone fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 17, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
nevermind

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 17, 2011

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I have this Tramontina 6.5 Qt., though I somehow paid only $39 for it, and it's been fantastic. I had a bare Lodge one that I never liked as much because I always had to worry about what I was putting in it.

I had originally purchased the Lodge enameled one, and didn't like the lid setup at all. There were little feet around the edge that made it not sit completely on the edge of the pot, letting the contents dry out. The internet seems to think that it used to rattle due to it not being completely flat, so they put the feet on instead of fixing whatever manufacturing issue may have caused that.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

dino. posted:

At the restaurant, when we steam vegetables, we put said vegetable into a mixing bowl, pour boiling water over it, and let it sit for about 3-5 minutes. You end up with perfectly steamed vegetables every time.
:aaa: I can't wait to try this out!

I made parsnip soup the other night and was unimpressed with how my food processor did at making a puree out of the cooked parsnips. I'll be damned if I dick around with my blender when I can reach for this wonderful tool:

Cuisinart Immersion Blender

It turned that pot of veggies into a beautiful pureed soup in seconds. Holy poo poo! I'm making more soup just so I have an excuse to use it again. The price was cheap and so far it's performed well above my expectations. Also, the base disconnects for easy cleanup of the stick/blender portion.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

CuddleChunks posted:

:aaa: I can't wait to try this out!

I made parsnip soup the other night and was unimpressed with how my food processor did at making a puree out of the cooked parsnips. I'll be damned if I dick around with my blender when I can reach for this wonderful tool:

It turned that pot of veggies into a beautiful pureed soup in seconds. Holy poo poo! I'm making more soup just so I have an excuse to use it again. The price was cheap and so far it's performed well above my expectations. Also, the base disconnects for easy cleanup of the stick/blender portion.
Hah, I just picked up one of these too.
Haven't had the chance to use it yet though.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I literally just ordered that immersion blender off amazon 30 minutes ago. Good to know I made a good choice.

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004

overdesigned posted:

I literally just ordered that immersion blender off amazon 30 minutes ago. Good to know I made a good choice.

I got an immersion blender for my birthday about a year ago and it was great. I use it to make soups and smoothies all the time. I even made hummus with it a couple times.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

overdesigned posted:

I got that exact immersion blender as a late Christmas present. It's fantastic, and seems to fully replace a food processor. Seriously: I was planning to buy a food processor, but no longer see the need.

You can make aioli in about a minute with the immersion blender -- just toss in 2 or 3 small cloves garlic, something like a cup of veg oil with a dash of olive, a couple egg yolks, and a squirt of Dijon. Oh, and S+P. Fifteen or twenty seconds with the blender, and that was aioli for as long as it seemed safe to eat.

If you're good about prompt refrigeration and can source pasteurized or irradiated eggs, an immersion blender means you never buy mayo or salad dressing again.

Also, cleanup consists of: rinse, fill cup with soapy water, blend, swap for fresh water, and blend again to rinse. Takes like 15 seconds versus all the scrubbing and rinsing for a normal blender.

There's only one catch about the immersion blender: it can't whip cream worth a drat. It turns into butter in less than a minute.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:dance: Woooo, shouts out to the Cuisinart immersion blender crew.

I made another pot of parsnip soup last night and did my puree right in the soup pot. VROOOM! It's like a little race car, it feels so drat powerful I start looking for other things to blend.

Acetone - thank you for the aioli recipe, I am going to finally try my hand at mayonnaise and maybe some aioli with this thing.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 18, 2011

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have a Dualit immersion blender with which I am also very happy.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
I have that same immersion blender and it is amazing. It even came with a decent measuring cup. One time i used it on some potatoes and it turned them into glue so it's a great tool if you ever need to make edible glue or inedible mashed potatoes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Acetone posted:

There's only one catch about the immersion blender: it can't whip cream worth a drat. It turns into butter in less than a minute.

It whips cream fine if you have/use the balloon whisk attachment.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Also, fresh butter is the loving best. I'd love to make that in a minute (but already have too many gadgets and a functional old immersion blender).

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
Yo. I would like to purchase a frying pan for tossing pasta with sauce over heat, restaurant-style. (Since my last non-stick pan went out I've been too lazy to replace it and have been doing all of my frying in a wok.) What exactly am I looking for? A sautee pan? A nonstick? A cast-iron skillet (I don't think so?)? I'm pretty sure I need something with rounded sides, but a lot of the stuff I see in Amazon have straight sides (and look deeper than what I need and also I don't think I need a lid?). Also, is it okay to get a piece of poo poo or do I need to invest in quality? My gut says piece of poo poo would be best but I don't really know. What do you guys use personally?

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.

chiyosdad posted:

Yo. I would like to purchase a frying pan for tossing pasta with sauce over heat, restaurant-style. (Since my last non-stick pan went out I've been too lazy to replace it and have been doing all of my frying in a wok.) What exactly am I looking for? A sautee pan? A nonstick? A cast-iron skillet (I don't think so?)? I'm pretty sure I need something with rounded sides, but a lot of the stuff I see in Amazon have straight sides (and look deeper than what I need and also I don't think I need a lid?). Also, is it okay to get a piece of poo poo or do I need to invest in quality? My gut says piece of poo poo would be best but I don't really know. What do you guys use personally?

A lot of restaurants use aluminum pans, although there's some :science: talk about how it reacts with acidity, such as tomatoes or lemon juice, and how small amounts of aluminum can get into your food.
I'm not sure if that topic is similar to the Teflon debate and how harmful it may be when scratched...

Stainless is another option, but more expensive.

I've used these french style carbon steel fry pans and love them. I think you treat them similarly to cast iron in that you don't wash with soap, and you can also scrub it out by heating kosher salt and giving it a nice...exfoliation?

Also great for searing meats because you can toss it in the oven.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Can someone recommend a decent pressure cooker? I read this article on pressure-cooked stocks and looked up the Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers that supposedly produced the best results, but they're around $200 a pop. If that's the going rate for "good" pressure cookers, then that's fine and I'll save up. But if there's another manufacturer that makes a similar-quality pressure cooker for less money that would be super.

The article said that the method of temperature regulation is important, and that the two more common types of pressure regulation are inferior to the method the Kuhn Rikon uses, which is a spring valve that regulates pressure without releasing steam.

I don't have the foggiest idea where to start searching for similar pressure cookers because I don't know what the pressure regulating method is called.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bombhand posted:

Can someone recommend a decent pressure cooker? I read this article on pressure-cooked stocks and looked up the Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers that supposedly produced the best results, but they're around $200 a pop. If that's the going rate for "good" pressure cookers, then that's fine and I'll save up. But if there's another manufacturer that makes a similar-quality pressure cooker for less money that would be super.

The article said that the method of temperature regulation is important, and that the two more common types of pressure regulation are inferior to the method the Kuhn Rikon uses, which is a spring valve that regulates pressure without releasing steam.

I don't have the foggiest idea where to start searching for similar pressure cookers because I don't know what the pressure regulating method is called.

Email the cookingissues folks and ask them, they're super chatty about food.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

bombhand posted:

Can someone recommend a decent pressure cooker?

I have a Fagor 6-qt that is reviewed well and cost half as much. I've made stock, beans, stews, soups, etc. in it and everything has come out fantastic. No complaints.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CuddleChunks posted:

Bought this immediately when you recommended it, didn't use it until last night. Creamiest mashed potatoes I've ever had in my life. It was like pudding.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Any recommendations for a dehydrator? Everyone in my family (except me :argh: ) will have a garden this year including various berries, as well as an apple orchard. I want to be able to snack on fruit during the day at work but would prefer dry stuff over fresh due to liquids being a bad thing where I work.

Also being able to make my own jerky would be amazing.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

What are you doing, Julian! The chicken fingers aren’t even cooked! You want us to get sasparilla or something, you dick!

Steve Yun posted:

Bought this immediately when you recommended it, didn't use it until last night. Creamiest mashed potatoes I've ever had in my life. It was like pudding.

Get caressed. You seriously made mashed potatoes with an immersion blender? That's so wrong, I don't even..... In what universe are quality mashed potatoes compared to frigging pudding? The whole point of the exercise is to leave starch cells intact, not to beat them into a thin caloric slurry. Please refrain from further food abuse.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have this, and it is amazing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bleston Humenthal posted:

Get caressed. You seriously made mashed potatoes with an immersion blender? That's so wrong, I don't even..... In what universe are quality mashed potatoes compared to frigging pudding? The whole point of the exercise is to leave starch cells intact, not to beat them into a thin caloric slurry. Please refrain from further food abuse.

Don't be retarded, there's nothing saying you have to blitz it into goo, though immersion blenders are wonderful for making aligot.

Also, caressed? Seriously?

Kenning fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 1, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am admittedly new to cooking. A friend told me to try it out and I thought it was an interesting texture, but if that's a no-no then I guess I won't do it again...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 1, 2011

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

I am admittedly new to cooking. A friend told me to try it out and I thought it was an interesting texture, but if that's a no-no then I guess I won't do it again...

I've found it made it like wall-paper paste - thick, gloopy, and sticky - not very pleasant. I was told off for using the beater attachment on my immersion blender to make mashed potato, although that, to me, didn't have the same effect at all as the blender attachment.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Next time try doing this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm. So it seems the blended potatoes were smooth and creamy when I ate them, but after checking the leftovers this morning they've turned into playdoh. I read up on it and see why blending is a bad idea now, but it seems you still have a window of time before it turns into glue.

At any rate, umm, the immersion blender blends the hell out of things.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Revdomezehis posted:

Any recommendations for a dehydrator? Everyone in my family (except me :argh: ) will have a garden this year including various berries, as well as an apple orchard. I want to be able to snack on fruit during the day at work but would prefer dry stuff over fresh due to liquids being a bad thing where I work.

What's your budget? I'm cheap and bought a Nesco American Harvest like 4 years ago and it's still working fine. If I was richer I'd get an Excalibur 9-tray.

Also thanks to whoever recommended the Victorinox chef's knife with the fibrox handle, been using one for about a month and like it a lot.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
My budget for it is basically "within reason" meaning I'll pay more than $200 if I have to, as long it ends up actually being worth it. I mean a zojirushi rice cooker can be super expensive especially compared to the $20 walmart one which would work well, but the zojirushi is the one I'd rather own.

Nostri
Sep 1, 2006

Revdomezehis posted:

The best dehydrator I've ever used wasn't a proper dehydrator it was Alton Brown's MacGuyver'd together one from his show Good Eats. You can find instructions via Google but it's really simple to put together (and cheap, gotta love cheap). Basically you get a box fan and use bungie cords to strap four cellulose furnace or heater filters to it. You put the food you're dehydrating on right on the filters (which is why you use cellulose ones and not fiberglass) and run the fan until the food's all dried out and tasty.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

CuddleChunks posted:

:dance: Woooo, shouts out to the Cuisinart immersion blender crew.

I made another pot of parsnip soup last night and did my puree right in the soup pot. VROOOM! It's like a little race car, it feels so drat powerful I start looking for other things to blend.

Acetone - thank you for the aioli recipe, I am going to finally try my hand at mayonnaise and maybe some aioli with this thing.

Jumping on this fan wagon. I've gone too long without one. Soups, mayo, salsa, guac, frothy milk for coffee, here I come.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 2, 2011

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Revdomezehis posted:

My budget for it is basically "within reason" meaning I'll pay more than $200 if I have to, as long it ends up actually being worth it. I mean a zojirushi rice cooker can be super expensive especially compared to the $20 walmart one which would work well, but the zojirushi is the one I'd rather own.

This is a general product recommendation point, rather than a specific product: I have never regretted paying for quality, and have mostly, and frequently, been glad of it. I have, however, often regretted buying cheap crap. I know that money is a limited resource, but my general recommendation is pay for quality if you can. There is no substitute for it.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
This sort of advice is especially relevant for kitchen product advice. Really, when you look at kitchen products, more often than not you look for permanency. Pots and pans especially (except non-stick) are things you should have most of, if not your entire, life. An item you buy that warps or goes kablooey in a few short years is essentially wasted money since you'll eventually be buying quality if you care at all about cooking and you'll have wasted some years using crap.

I love building my kitchen tool collection. In my mind I check off boxes from my list one by one, hoping I never have to erase the checkmarks.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Bo-Pepper posted:

I love building my kitchen tool collection. In my mind I check off boxes from my list one by one, hoping I never have to erase the checkmarks.

I do this too. I made a checklist titled, "Someday We Will Have Nice Things" that consists entirely of nice kitchen tools I want.

I learned my lesson when the cheapass pan I got from a dollar store warped and died. Boo to replacing poo poo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yes, there's an Afrikaans expression: goedkoop is duurkoop, which means cheap purchases are expensive purchases - because the cheap crap gets thrown out and you either have to repeatedly replace it, or spring for the decent stuff you should have bought in the first place. (Of course, this is all predicated on people being able to afford decent stuff). I do think, though, that when it comes to kitchen equipment a lot of people buy a lot of stuff, without realising that you actually can make do very well (probably better) with fewer, better items. Knives, for instance. One does not need a 12-piece knife set. I basically only use a chef's knife, parer, and bread knife. If I cooked meat I'd use a carving knife. That's pretty much all one needs. I got a le Creuset casserole dish as a wedding present that I expect to use until I die or stop cooking: and every time I use it I'll get a feeling of satisfaction from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

icehewk posted:

guac
I'm predicting the resurrection of the kitchen mistakes thread with tales of green walls

• Locked thread