Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Welcome to the Birth Control Megathread (2.0)!

DON'T PANIC: This behemoth isn't meant to be read through; it is more of a reference resource. If you have a question, skim through the table of contents in this first post & see if it's been addressed. If it hasn't, or if you feel you need to ask any way because we all worry a lot and babies are scary, feel free to ask anyway. We are a very friendly bunch. :glomp:

Using the OP: Each section and birth control method has a “code.” So do some of the more frequently asked frequently asked questions. Type the code without the space into your “find” function to jump quickly to the part you need. For example, if the code next to the thing you want is (F 100), type “F100” or “(F100).” This is so I can say “see F 100 without forcing you to jump through a thousand “see F 100”s before you get to the actual F100, where the answers you need are.

:siren:Most Frequent Issues:siren:
Ctrl-F the code after each question, without the space, to find the answers you need. (READ THESE BEFORE YOU POST)
  • What are the chances I/she got pregnant if... (condom breakage, timing issues, semen near vagina, etc.)? (Q 100)
  • How long does it take for my birth control pill to become effective? (Q 101)
  • I'm bleeding when I shouldn't be! (Q 102)
  • I messed up the timing on my hormonal method!: skipping days, taking an extra pill, vomiting right after taking the pill, taking it at an unusual time, etc. (Q 103)
  • There are so many options and I don't know how to choose! (Q 104)
  • I’m taking antibiotics; do I need to use a backup method? (Q 105)
  • Do I need to take the placebo pills? Am I protected on the placebo week? (Q 106)
  • How can I remember to take the pill on time? (Q 107)
  • When they say, “take your pill at the same time every day,” exactly how close to the same time do they mean? (Q 108)
General FAQs (A 103)
  • How do I choose which birth control to use? (Q 104)
  • I took Plan B and now my period is early/late/never-ending! (C 101)
  • Cheap ways to get birth control if you don't have insurance or have really crappy insurance (US specific) (C 104)
  • My boyfriend doesn't want to wear a condom / My girlfriend doesn't want to go on birth control. He/She is being so unreasonable!
  • I'm bleeding when I shouldn't be! (in general) (Q 102)
  • How is the "failure rate" for each method calculated, and what's the difference between Typical and Perfect use? What if I use two kinds at the same time-- will it be more effective? (Q 110)
Non-hormonal FAQs (A 105)
  • THE CONDOM BROKE/I gave him a handjob and then fingered myself/Some cum may have gotten near the vag! (Q 100)
  • Where can I find non-latex condoms?
  • Where can I find condoms for my enormous penis?
  • Which is the best condom brand?
Hormonal FAQs (A 104)
  • How do they work? (C 103)
  • Is birth control an "abortion pill"? What about Plan B/the morning after pill? (Q 112)
  • Will taking birth control make me test positive on pregnancy tests? (Q 106)
  • When do my pills become effective? (Q 101)
  • Do I have to take the placebo pills? (Q 111)
  • Am I protected on the placebo week?
  • What if I messed up my hormonal method's timing (skipping days, taking an extra pill, vomiting soon after pill taking, etc.)? (Q 103)
  • How to skip periods on hormonal methods
  • What if I change time zones? How do I adjust my pill-taking schedule?
  • Okay, but really, how big is the window for “perfect use” pill taking? (Q 108)
  • Help! I can never remember to take my pills on time! (Q 107)
  • I’m taking antibiotics; do I need to use a backup method?(Q 105)
  • Unexpected bleeding (on a hormonal method) (C 100)
  • When can I expect the nausea/weight gain/moodiness/breakthrough bleeding to go away after starting a new method?
  • I'm having pain; is my IUD coming out? Is it perforating my uterus? (Q 109)
  • I'm bleeding when I shouldn't be, or not bleeding when I should be! (with IUD) (C 102)

General information on different methods: Ctrl-F the code after each question, without the space, to find what you need.
Hormonal (A 100)
  • The Pill/ combined oral birth control (B 100)
  • The contraceptive ring, Nuvaring (B 101)
  • Hormonal IUD, Mirena, Skyla (B 102)
  • The implant, Implanon/Norplant (B 103)
  • The progesterone shot, Depo Provera (B 104)
  • The patch, Ortho Evra (B 111)
  • Progesterone only pills / minipill (B 112)
Non-hormonal (A 101)
  • Condoms, male & female (B 105)
  • Diaphragms (B 106)
  • Copper IUD/Paragard (B 107)
  • Sponges (B 108)
  • Spermicide (B 109)
  • Rhythm Method/Natural Family Planning (B 110)
Permanent Methods (A 107)
  • Vasectomy (B 112)
  • Female sterilization (B 113)
Emergency Contraception (A 102)

Please feel free to suggest additions or corrections! I have PMs, or you can email me at wizardofeggplant at gmail, or you can just post in the thread and hopefully I’ll see it. Happy baby-free sexing!

A lot of people helped out to make this big mess o’ text. Thanks to Bagleworm, fork bomb, DRP Solved!, Kerfuffle, and others?! (The problem with the google doc business is that I don’t know who helped, so please tell me if you did! I know there’re more!)

Memorial/Reference link to the previous Birth Control Megathread, which lived a long and noble life.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
FAQs
General: (A103)
  • How do I choose which birth control to use? (Q104)
    The first thing to do is to educate yourself on the options available, and make a decision with your health care provider as to which will work best with your lifestyle. Here is a useful comparison chart of many different methods. The first thing to decide is usually whether you can be a good pill taker or not: do you have a schedule that changes all the time? Are you good at remembering to do certain things on a daily basis? If you have a highly variable schedule and aren’t sure you can keep on a strict schedule to take a pill, it might be a good idea to look into other options. If you can handle pills, then you need to decide with your health care provider whether monophasic, triphasic, or progesterone only is the best choice for you. Many pills have generic equivalents, which may be an important factor for you if your health insurance is less than ideal. Other factors:
    - The only method that can protect you from STD exposure is the condom. If you are non-monogamous, or you and your partner haven’t been tested recently, you should always wear a condom, regardless of other methods in use.
    - If you’re a smoker (and especially if you’re 35 years of age or older), you may want to go with a non-hormonal method, since both smoking and hormones increase the chance of getting a blood clot which can lead to stroke or other problems.
    - If you have never been on hormones before, it might not be a great idea to jump right into the shot (Depo Provera) or a hormonal IUD. With pills and the ring, it’s very easy to stop the hormonal dosage if you react very poorly to it. If you react poorly to Implanon or a hormonal IUD, it will take a doctor’s visit to remove the offending device. As for the shot, there isn’t much you can do but wait it out. So, start with a pill or ring, if you’re not sure how hormones are going to go.
    - Take a look at the side effects listed for each method and weigh how you feel about them. For hormonal methods, the side effects tend to have a lot in common, but certain ones (notably the implant, the shot, and IUDs) carry certain other possible side effects. Read up on the percentages of incidence for serious side effects on each method’s brand website (and wikipedia) and decide whether you want to play the numbers or not. (I say this as someone who has just gotten a hormonal IUD: I’m not trying to turn you off these methods, just be sure you know the worst case scenarios before you commit!)

Apart from those issues, the best thing you can do is consult with a knowledgeable health care provider who deals with birth control on a regular basis. You can work together to see what works best for you. If you educate yourself on different methods beforehand, you will be better prepared to discuss them with your provider. We’re also very happy in this thread to share our experiences, but we all know the plural of anecdote is not “data,” right? Right.

See also:
    A table-style guide to finding a good pill for you based on hormone content
    A questionnaire style guide from Planned Parenthood

• I took Plan B and now my period is early/late/never-ending! (C101)
    The emergency contraception pills gently caress up your cycle. That is just the way they are. If your period is late, it doesn’t mean the pill failed and you’re pregnant. Take a pregnancy test to be sure, but try to relax and wait till your body has a chance to get back into its usual cycle.

• Cheap ways to get birth control if you don't have insurance or have really crappy insurance (US specific) (C104)
    - Many states have programs to help low income women afford birth control. Google your state and keywords like birth control, family planning, women’s health, etc. This website has a list of states with their Medicaid programs’ coverage of abortion and/or birth control, both for citizens and non-citizens.
    - You should also check for Planned Parenthood clinics in your area. PP can provide free or reduced cost women’s health services, from gynecological exams and birth control to abortion care if necessary. PP does take your insurance coverage into account when pricing your services, so if you’re insured but not insured enough you may still not be eligible for cheap/free birth control. Some people say they do not have insurance in order to get the reduced prices; if you do this, please consider donating to your clinic as well in order to help them keep the good work up.
    - Some generic brands of birth control are available for cheap (e.g. $4 or $9/month) at Walmart, Target, and other stores with cheap generic programs. Some pharmacies do price matching, so you may be able to get them to match with Walmart or Target if those aren’t conveniently located for you.
    - Finally, a lot of pharmaceutical companies these days are offering help in affording their drugs. Depending on which particular brand you choose, the process may differ.

• My boyfriend doesn't want to wear a condom / My girlfriend doesn't want to go on birth control. He/She is being so unreasonable!
    There is a reasonable side to both issues.
    - If you or your boyfriend doesn’t like condoms, see if he’d be willing to try some different brands and find one that is more comfortable. The Sex Questions Megathread guys are pretty good on different brands, so they may be able to offer help.
    - If you or your girlfriend doesn’t like the idea of hormonal birth control, consider non-hormonal methods like the diaphragm or copper IUD. It is fairly reasonable for a woman to be wary of going on birth control, given that side effects can sometimes be quite unpleasant.
    - The bottom line in either case is this: if you two cannot talk openly, honestly, and non-judgmentally about your sex life, then you have no business having sex. Make time outside of the bedroom to discuss each side of the issue and try to understand the other person’s perspective.
    - If you’re non-monogamous, though, or if your partner refuses to get tested, use condoms for gently caress’s sake, even if you’re also using another method.

• I'm bleeding when I shouldn't be! (Q102)
    Firstly, it is always possible that you just had rough sex. A little blood is not something to be worried about, so long as it stops. If this is more general bleeding, related to your menstrual cycle, see the following:
    -- Are you on a hormonal method? “Find” for (C 100), but without the space.
    -- Did you take Plan B or otherwise engage in emergency contraception recently? “Find” for (C 101), but without the space.
    -- Do you have an IUD? “Find” for (C 102), but without the space.
    If you are bleeding and it is bright red, rather than brownish like period blood is, or if the blood is coming in worrying amounts (more than spotting), do not waste time on the internet; call a doctor now.

• How is the "failure rate" for each method calculated, and what's the difference between Typical and Perfect use?
    Please take a look at the beginning of the next post. We've put the explanation close to the methods so people read it! Or, its code is (Q 110).

Non-hormonal FAQ’s (A105)

• THE CONDOM BROKE/I gave him a handjob and then fingered myself/Some cum may have gotten near the vag! (Q100)
    See Emergency Contraception (A 102) (use ctrl-F and leave out the space). There’s a good chance she/you isn’t/aren’t pregnant, but unfortunately, better safe than sorry. If she/you would prefer to wait a couple of weeks, take a test, and have an abortion if necessary, that is also a valid choice. It’s a lot more expensive and at least as physically disruptive as an EC pill, though.

• Where can I find non-latex condoms?
    This site looks sketchy, but it’s Goon Approved, so take a look: Condomania. Amazon also has a surprisingly large selection of different condoms & sex products.

• Where can I find condoms for my enormous penis?
    See above. You can search for large sizes at Condomania, or you can even get a Large Sizes sampler pack and find the kind that suits you best.

• Which is the best condom brand?
    This is a pretty subjective question. Your best bet, if you’re not satisfied with the offerings at your local drug store, is to get a sampler pack and see what you and your partner like best. Condomania has a variety of samplers. eta one random testimonial:

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Just wanted to weigh in with a very positive review of Beyond Seven condoms. Due to the snug fit it was a little tricky to get it on, but boy what a difference it made in sensitivity during sex. FEELS LIKE I'M WEARING NOTHING AT ALL.

Note that this is for the aloe lubricated version, which she said she liked because it helped to reduce irritation.
  • For IUD questions, skip to Q109.

Hormonal FAQ's (A104)
  • How do they work? (C103)
    Hormonal methods usually work in a variety of ways: first, they discourage your egg follicles from fully developing eggs; secondly, they discourage ovulation (the release of an egg from the follicle); finally, they make the uterine environment less good for egg implantation and/or sperm travel, usually by thickening or otherwise changing the consistency of the mucus around the cervix and uterus. Wikipedia has some good science words about it if you want details. Here is a less sciencey explanation as well. A fun, easy youtube video explanation.

• Is birth control an "abortion pill"? What about Plan B/the morning after pill? (Q112)
    No. See above for how hormonal birth control works. Their goal is not to abort a fertilized, implanted zygote (egg joined with sperm), but rather to stop the egg from showing up for its date, and then if that doesn't work, to get the sperm stuck in traffic (well, mucus), and then if that doesn't work, to make sure that even if they get together, they don't have a place to settle in and get cozy (implant in the uterine wall and get started). The "morning after pill" is essentially a big dose of normal birth control hormones. It has the same goals and uses the same modes of prevention, but on steroids.

• Will taking birth control make me test positive on pregnancy tests? (Q106)
    No. Pregnancy tests look for a hormone (hCG) that only occurs after a fertilized egg has implanted in the uterus. The birth control pill has no relationship to this hormone. Take a look at the Wikipedia page on pregnancy tests for more information.

• When do my pills become effective? (Q101)
    If you are taking a combined oral contraceptive and you take it within the first five days from the start of your period, you’re protected. Otherwise, pills are effective after 7 days’ use. Many health care providers recommend using a backup method for the first month, presumably to keep you covered as you get into the pill-taking routine (in case you gently caress it up, in short). Check the information that comes with your specific type of pill to be sure, but it’s usually 7 days.

• Do I have to take the placebo pills? (Q111)
    No. Placebo pills (often called “sugar pills”) are there to help you remember to take your pills at the same time, even though you’re not getting any hormones. You do not need to take them, and if you can remember when to start taking your pills again, you may discard them. Some placebo pills contain iron to help you avoid anemia during your period, but this is their only active ingredient and has no bearing on your fertility.

• Am I protected on the placebo week?
    Yes, you are. (You are no longer protected if you do not start a new pack after your placebo week ends.) Don’t worry. The hormones don’t go away during the placebo week.

• What if I messed up my hormonal method's timing (skipping days, taking an extra pill, vomiting soon after pill taking, etc.)? (Q103)
    Check the information that comes with your pill, or google for the name of your pill; you can usually find the official packet that comes with the pill in PDF form. If you can’t find it, ask us and we’ll help you google. Also, take a look at this document: Missed Hormonal Contraception: New Recommendationsl for specific advice. Different situations require different actions. If you’re unsure of what to do, call your pharmacist! It’s their job to know this stuff, and they have access to reference materials you do not. As usual, when in doubt, use a back up method for 7 days after you get back on schedule.

Doubling up on pills may sometimes make you feel icky. It will pass. It is not unreasonable for there to be side effects like breakthrough bleeding if your schedule gets messed up, also.

• How to skip periods on hormonal methods
    Hooray, you say, I can skip periods! I can never bleed ever again hooray! Well, yes, but also, not so much. Skipping your period is totally doable, and works for many women, but it may result in breakthrough bleeding or a heavier than normal period the next month. In general, skipping a period while on a monophasic pill may result in less breakthrough bleeding than on a triphasic pill. In the end though, it’s totally up in the air whether you will have it or not: much depends on your individual body and its relationship with the specific pill you’re on.

• What if I change time zones? How do I adjust my pill-taking schedule?
    Your body doesn’t know about time zones, so attempt to take your pill at roughly the same spot in its twenty four hour day as before. So if you’re in EST, and your pill taking time is 9:30 PM, and you go to PST, you will need to take your pill at 6:30 PM PST. If you go to England or something instead, (say +5 hours), that’s a bit more troublesome since the right time would be something like 2:30am England time. At that point, take the pill as late as you can before bedtime, and use a back up method, especially if your pill is a mini-pill.

• Okay, but really, how big is the window for “perfect use” pill taking? (Q108)
    Generally, the time window for the combined hormone pills is up to 12 hours (from here). HOWEVER, it’s best to keep as close to the usual time as possible in order to keep your routine steady. It’s a lot easier to forget to take a pill if you take it within a 6 or 12 hour window, than if you always take it between 9:30 and 10pm. On the other hand, for mini-pills, the time issue is critical. Be sure to take your pill as close to on time as possible; even a few hours off can reduce effectiveness significantly. Always use a back up method if you think timing is a problem.

• Help! I can never remember to take my pills on time! (Q107)
    Firstly, choose a time where you’re always awake and free to swallow something, a time when you’re always awake and reasonably free. If you’re a college student, for example, 8:00am might work one semester when you have a godawful morning class, but come Thanksgiving, you’ll be sleeping in till 11am and then you’re all hosed. Secondly, make sure your pill is always available. For example, keep them in your wallet or purse. If you’re going to the movies or on a long car trip or something, bring some water so you can take them comfortably on time. Finally, everyone needs a little help. Luckily, we now have cellphones to run our lives for us. Set an alarm to remind you to take your pill at the right time. Failing those tips, consider using the ring or the patch or an implant or IUD, instead. Some people aren’t good pill takers, and that’s okay.

• I’m taking antibiotics; do I need to use a backup method?(Q105)
    The relationship between antibiotics and birth control is somewhat contested. Certain birth control pills and certain antibiotics may be affected, but not necessarily all. Check your pill packet and the information that comes with your antibiotics for specific information. Generally, if you’re getting bad diarrhea or vomiting from the antibiotic, you should consider using backup. You can also talk to your provider and the pharmacist-- it’s their job to know these things. Do not rely on what someone else (here, for example) says because she may have been on a different pill or a different antibiotic! Again, education is your best defense. When in doubt, use a back up method.

• Unexpected bleeding (C100)
    Breakthrough bleeding, or irregularly occurring spotting, is one of the most common side effects of birth control. If you are getting it in the first three months of taking a medication, it’s possible that it will taper off as your body gets used to the hormones. If you get it after changing your pill taking time, or after skipping a period, that’s not terribly surprising either. If you get it while on antibiotics, it may or may not be an indication of bad interaction; check with your pharmacist whether there are conflicts between your pill and your antibiotic, and use a back up method for the duration of the antibiotic dose, and for at least 7 days after that.

If the bleeding is heavy or seriously inconvenient, talk to your health care provider about other options. There are so many pills and other hormonal methods on the market that it is silly to stay on something that makes you miserable.

• When can I expect the nausea/weight gain/moodiness/breakthrough bleeding to go away after starting a new method?
    The basic line is that many side effects will taper off after the first three months, once your body gets used to the hormones. To reiterate what I just typed above, though: If the side effect is seriously inconvenient or harmful to your life, talk to your health care provider about other options. There are so many pills and other hormonal methods on the market that it is silly to stay on something that makes you miserable.

• I'm having pain; is my IUD coming out? Is it perforating my uterus? (Q109)
    What sort of pain? If it’s period-like cramps, or a bit worse, that is probably normal. Small pains around the ovaries and uterus area in general are also normal. If, however, you are having very serious pain incomparable to cramps, or abnormally heavy bleeding, call your doctor and get yourself checked out. You should also take your temperature: if you have a fever, call your doctor immediately as it can be a sign of infection. You should also check your strings and see if they’re in the right place. If you can’t find them, or they seem longer than usual, call your doctor.

• To bleed, or not to bleed, with IUD (C102)
    Both types of IUD can cause breakthrough bleeding and general spotting. Both types can also cause total amenorrhea (lack of menstruation). Copper IUDs tend to cause much heavier periods than normal, while the hormonal IUD tends to lighten periods and cause amenorrhea more frequently. In short, a change in your menstruation pattern and irregular bleeding are expected consequences of getting an IUD. If you can’t deal with the particular changes you experience, talk to your provider.

If you’re not bleeding, and you suspect you may be pregnant, take a test; if you test positive, see a doctor immediately, since the risk of ectopic pregnancy is higher with IUDs and they can be very dangerous.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 5, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Types of Birth Control
A lot of the information here comes from Wikipedia and Planned Parenthood. Therefore, it should be used only as a starting point, and not as gospel. Listen to your health care provider rather than us. Here is a great big awesome resource on lots of different kinds, if you wish to go beyond Wikipedia & these notes: Managing Contraception, a book.

:siren:Required Reading: How is "failure rate" calculated, and what's the difference between Typical and Perfect use? (Q110)

Bagleworm posted:

Birth control's effectiveness is measured by two different numbers: the typical use and the perfect use failure rate. Both of them attempt to give an idea of how many pregnancies will result from the use of a single method of birth control for a year.

Perfect use is exactly what it sounds like: use the method perfectly for a year, and this failure rate is the chance the method will fail on its own. This result usually comes from clinical trials over the first year of use.

Typical use is what an average person can be expected to see. Typical use usually comes from surveys and studies conducted in the real world, where people make mistakes. (They are occasionally estimated based on the typical use rates of similar methods) The result is calculated as a simple percentage: calculate how many women got pregnant while using this method as their only form of contraception, regardless of if they followed the method's instructions. (Typical use is usually calculated based on the first year. Some methods have lower typical use failure rates if you factor in more years!)

Typical use failure rates can include things like missing pills, breaking a condom, not pulling out if the pull out method is your only means of contraception, being late for your Depo reinjection... that sort of thing. Typical use failure rates can vary a few percentage points depending who did the study and on their sample size, but they are generally a good indicator of how easy the method is to do correctly. Should the method have a small perfect use but a high typical use failure rate, it generally indicates that it is easy to mess up.

Hormonal (A100)
There are scores of hormonal options for birth control. They either contain an artificial progesterone (called a progestin), or both an artificial progesterone and an artificial estrogen. Typically the estrogen used is ethinyl estradiol, while there are several progestins commonly used.
Ctrl-F (A 104), but without the space, for FAQs on hormonal methods in general.

• Combined oral contraceptive (B100)
    Common brand names: Alesse, Diane-35, Gianvi, Portia, Seasonale, Sprintec, Tri-Cyclen, Tri-Cyclen-Lo, Yasmin, Yaz, etc. (there are many, see the Wikipedia link below for a list by hormone contents)
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Typical: 8% Perfect: 0.3%
    Hormone type: Both estrogen and progestin.
    Effective period: The pill is usually effective after you have been taking it for 7 days (check the instructions for your specific brand to confirm this). As long as you take your pill regularly, you WILL be protected during the placebo week. After stopping the pills, fertility may return immediately, but can take several months to a year to return. Similarly, periods may take several months or up to a year to return.
    STD Protection?: No
    Short description of the method: There are many pills on the market. They tend to fall into two categories: monophasic and polyphasic (usually triphasic) pills. Some have lower quantities of hormones than others.

Basically, with all estrogen-containing pills, the method is as follows: every month, you get a pack of (usually) 28 pills. 21 of those pills will have hormones, while the last 7 will be placebos. Sometimes the placebos contain iron, but apart from that they tend to be inert and only meant to help you keep on schedule. Some brands do not include the placebo pills at all. You must take the hormonal pills every single day (except during the placebo week, the last week of each cycle), at as close to the same time as possible. If the pill is taken irregularly, it will not be as effective.

For how the pill works, or what it does, please ctrl-F for (C 103), but without the space.
    Caveats or process description: Prescription only. Must be taken at roughly the same time every day. Different pills have different hormone formulations, so it may be necessary to try several pills in order to find one you react well to.
    Side effects / other concerns: Common side effects include nausea, weight gain (or loss), mood changes, bloating, depression, decreased sex drive, headache and spotting. Since COCs contain estrogen, women who are contraindicated for blood clots, stroke and thrombosis should consult their physician before using COCs.
    Average price: $15-$50/month. Cheaper may be possible depending on whether there is a generic, how good your insurance is, and where you get it filled. See C104 for ways to afford birth control if you do not have insurance.
    Links:
    Full list of Birth Controls with Generics
    A nice guide to finding a good pill for you based on hormone content
    Wikipedia’s oral contraceptive formulation article
    Planned Parenthood’s page on the pill

• Contraceptive Ring (B101)
    Common brand names: Nuvaring is the only ring currently on the market.
    Effective period: You’re fully protected the 3 weeks the ring is in as well as the week the ring is out. If you’re just starting on Nuvaring, It takes a week for Nuvaring to protect you from pregnancy, use a back up until then.
    STD Protection?: no
    Short description of the method: For 3 weeks, Nuvaring is in your vagina, up near your cervix. The ring may be taken out for sex, for up to 3 hours at a time. It needs to remain in most of the time in order to deliver its hormones regularly. For the fourth week, you do not wear the ring, which allows your body to have a period.
    Caveats or process description: Prescription only.
    Side effects: Common side effects include the usual hormonal side effects such as nausea, weight gain (or loss), mood changes, bloating, decreased sex drive and breakthrough bleeding. Some women experience vaginal irritation from the ring itself, and others have reported an increased incidence of yeast infections. It can also cause an increase in vaginal secretions (called leukorrhea). Since it contains estrogen, women who are contraindicated for blood clots, stroke and thrombosis should consult their physician.
    Will it Fall out?
    In most cases, no, the ring will not fall out. If anything, sex pushes it further into a more snug fit. Some women can’t use Nuvaring because of the setting of their cervix, causing it to often fall out. If you notice this happening, Nuvaring isn’t a good option for you.
    Average price: Nuvaring has a steep price of $70-75 (USD) if you’re uninsured. If you’re uninsured or just short on funds, free clinics are a good way to go. You can print out a coupon right from Nuvaring’s website for $15 off the price you paid with insurance. You can be a sneaky cheater and use as many coupons as you want by just giving them different emails when your current email runs out. All you have to do is print out the coupon and bring it with you when you pick up your prescription.
    Links:
    Nuvaring Official Website
    Coupon
    Planned Parenthood’s page on the ring

• Hormonal IUD (B102)
    Common brand names: Mirena; Skyla [n.b. Most of this answer was written in reference to Mirena]
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: 0.2%. Typical use is the same as perfect use.
    Hormone type: Progestin only
    Effective period: Mirena is approved for 5 years, and Skyla for 3, though they may perhaps work longer. After removal, the normal menstrual cycle should return within 6 weeks, though as with any hormonal method, it may take longer for your body to fully get back into the swing of things.
    Short description of the method: The hormonal IUD is a small plastic device that a doctor places in your uterus, where it delivers hormones to your body on a regular basis over the next 5 [3 in the case of Skyla] years. The hormones work as all progestin-only hormonal methods do (see C103), and the presence of the IUD itself helps to create an environment unsuitable for fertilized egg implantation.
    Caveats or process description: Prescription only. The Mirena is technically only approved for women who have had children, but it is reasonably commonly used for women who have not, as well. The Skyla is approved for nulliparous (no babbies-had) women. Depending on your region or your doctor's viewpoint, you may have trouble getting one. Doctors are generally more willing to give IUDs to women who have only one monogamous partner, since it is commonly believed that if you get an STD while using an IUD, the consequences may be more severe. Here is a really great article explaining the mechanism, history, & effectiveness of IUD's.

You will need a doctor to insert an IUD. The history of IUDs in the US is scarred by one model several decades ago that was poorly designed and led to infertility in several women. For this reason, IUDs were very unpopular in the US until recently. Modern IUDs are very different from older generations. See Wikipedia’s history of the copper IUD section for more information on the older models and their problems.

Some doctors will not insert an IUD for a women who has not had any children, who are young or who is not in a monogamous, long-term relationship. The former is because there is a slightly higher risk of expulsion and the insertion process can be more tricky, the latter is because it was once believed that IUDs increased the risk of complications from STIs (this has never been confirmed in a study). Usually if you shop around, you can find an experienced practitioner who will insert an IUD even if you don’t have children, are young or not in a long term relationship.

Before insertion, it is recommended you take a dose of ibuprofen to help with the pain. Some doctors prefer that you be on your period, when the cervix is slightly softer, while others have no such preference. Some doctors will prescribe something to dilate the cervix, though some people claim this makes the insertion more painful.

Insertion is fairly quick but can be painful - There will be a pinch or cramp as the IUD and its insertion rod pass through the cervix, and then a moderate to severe menstrual cramp feeling when the IUD itself is inserted. The doctor will ensure the IUD is positioned properly and then may trim the strings. For some days after insertion you can expect to have bleeding and cramping - ibuprofen and heat pads will help.
    Side effects / other concerns: Cramping and bleeding are to be expected immediately after insertion, and may last for several months. Common side effects include nausea, weight gain (or loss), mood changes, bloating, and breakthrough bleeding. Side effects specific to the hormonal IUD include: amenorrhea (lack of periods) in about 30% of women who use it; cramping. As with either IUD, there is also a risk of uterine perforation or expulsion, or infection. The two former issues are most likely to appear within the first three months after insertion, and the largest contributing factor to them is the experience of the practitioner who inserts it (in short, find a doctor who inserts IUDs regularly). As for infection, it is most likely only if an STD or other infection is already present, or if sterility is compromised during the insertion. Finally, with IUDs there is an increased risk of ectopic pregnancy. That is to say, while the IUD is 99.8% effective at stopping pregnancy, if you should be in that .2%, you have a higher chance of having an ectopic pregnancy than a woman without an IUD does.
    Average price: $843.60 (as of Jan. 17, 2011), plus insertion costs. Mirena can be bought on a 4 or 24 month payment plan, too. Some health insurance plans provide total coverage. See C104 for ideas on how to afford Mirena if you do not have insurance, or if your insurance doesn’t cover it.
    Links:
    Mirena Official Website
    Skyla Official Website
    Planned Parenthood’s page on IUD’s

• Implant (B103)
    Common brand names: Implanon is the only implant currently on the market (replaced Norplant).
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: 0.05%. Typical use is the same as perfect use.
    Hormone type: Progestin only.
    Effective period: Three years, possibly slightly less for obese women. After removal, all hormones leave the body and fertility returns to normal within days. When the three year coverage period is up you may have a new Implanon inserted during the same appointment that you have your original removed.
    Short description of the method: Doctor numbs arm with Novocaine then makes a tiny incision. A flexible plastic implant, the size of a matchstick, is inserted under the skin of your inner upper arm. The procedure takes under a minute, can be done in a regular doctor’s office, and should be painless.
    Caveats or process description: Prescription only. Not all doctors can insert Implanon, so it may be difficult to find a trained provider. There is a tool on the Implanon website for finding approved providers near you, however.

Side effects / other concerns: Irregular bleeding/spotting is almost guaranteed. About 20% of women experience amenorrhea, complete cessation of periods. For the rest, spotting is irregular and inconsistent, but should be painless. A significant percentage of women who had acne before getting Implanon noticed improved skin on Implanon. The standard list of potential side effects applies: mood swings, depression, weight gain or loss, decreased sex drive, headache, acne, breast pain. May feel effects of body adjusting to the hormone the day after insertion (mild flu like symptoms).
    Average price: According to Planned Parenthood, “The cost of the exam, Implanon, and insertion ranges from $400–$800. Removal costs between $75 and $150. The total cost pays for pregnancy protection that can last for three years.” Some health insurance plans provide total coverage. See C104 for ideas on how to afford Implanon if you do not have insurance, or if your insurance doesn’t cover it.
    Links:
    Implanon USA (also allows you to search for local providers)
    Planned Parenthood’s page on Implanon

• Progesterone injection (B104)
    Common brand names: Depo-Provera
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Typical: 3% Perfect: 0.3%
    Short description of the method: You receive a shot of birth control hormones every three months.
    Caveats or process description: Some women experience severe mood swings near the end of the three month period as their hormone levels drop. Some doctors will accommodate this by moving the reinjection time for the next shot to an earlier date to prevent the severe mood swings.
    Side effects / other concerns: Spotting, amenorrhoea (loss of periods), weight gain, mood swings, depression, headaches, decreased sex drive, possibility of reversible bone density loss.
    Depo has been found to cause more weight gain, on average, than any other hormonal method.
    Concerns over possible irreversible bone density loss resulted in an FDA black-box warning against using Depo Provera for more than two years. Recent studies and reviews have concluded that this time limit is unnecessary, and any bone density lost while on Depo returns once you discontinue use. Consult your physician if you want to use Depo for longer than two years.
    Average price: $35-$75 per injection, plus any doctor’s office fees. (from Planned Parenthood)
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on Depo-Provera
    Pfizer website (maker of Depo Provera)

• The patch (B111)
    Common brand names: Ortho Evra
    Short description of the method: A patch is stuck to the skin on a weekly basis and slowly releases hormones into the body. The patch remains on the skin for the entire week. After three weeks of using the patch, you take one week off to have a period and then continue with a new patch.
    Caveats or process description:
    Side effects / other concerns: Common side effects are the usual hormonal side effects, such as nausea, weight gain, headaches, bloating, tender breasts, mood swings, depression, decreased sex drive and spotting. Some women experience skin irritation from the patch itself.

The patch releases higher amounts of estrogen into the blood stream than any other contraceptive method. This has not been found to be a significant concern, but women who are contraindicated for blood clots, stroke and thrombosis should not use the patch.
    Average price: $15-$70/month (from Planned Parenthood)
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on Ortho Evra

• Progesterone-only pills (POP/ minipill) (B112)
    Common brand names:
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Typical: 8% Perfect: 0.5%
    Short description of the method: A pill containing a dose of progestin is taken every day, even while menstruating. Low-dose progestin-only methods work mostly by changing the internal environment and making it hostile to sperm. They occasionally prevent ovulation, but not as reliably as combined hormonal methods, or high-dose progestin-only methods, such as Depo Provera.
    Caveats or process description: Minipills are extremely time-sensitive - taking a pill late by three hours, or more, is considered “missed” and results in very decreased effectiveness.
    Side effects / other concerns: Common side effects include all the usual hormonal side effects, such as nausea, headache, breast tenderness, weight change, bloating, decreased sex drive, depression and mood swings, although the low hormone dose tends to prevent severe side effects.
    Average price: $15-$50/month. Cheaper may be possible depending on whether there is a generic, how good your insurance is, and where you get it filled. See C104 for ways to afford birth control if you do not have insurance.
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on the pill

Emergency contraception (for emergencies only! Unpleasant!) (A102)

• Commercial Hormonal EC (“the morning-after pill”)
    Common brand names: Plan B, i-Pill, ella, Next Choice
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Calculated differently from other BC methods. Please see Wikipedia’s explanation of its effectiveness. Depending on which pill, EC can be administered up to 5 days after the precipitating incident. It is more effective the sooner it is used after said incident.
    Short description of the method: EC pills work much like other BC methods, just moreso: they prevent ovulation, so that if an egg has not already left its follicle, it will not go down to meet any sperms hanging around in the tubes or uterus. Also, it thickens cervical mucus in order to make life harder for the sperms, and thins uterine lining to make implantation more difficult. EC’s goal is not to destroy a fertilized egg, but rather to (a) keep eggs from being fertilized, and failing that, (b) to keep the fertilized egg from implanting.
    Caveats or process description: You take one pill as soon after the incident as possible, and another about 12 hours later. Or, it may actually be more effective to take both pills at once. If you are under 17, it is still legal for you to get EC without parental permission, but some providers may have their own policy to notify parents. See this page for more information.
    Side effects / other concerns: Nausea, irregular bleeding, headaches, dizziness. Your cycle will probably be messed up for a while afterward.
    Average price: $10-$70. Cheaper may be possible depending on how good your insurance is, and where you get it filled. See C104 for ways to afford birth control if you do not have insurance.
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on EC
    Wikipedia’s page on the “morning after pill”
    ”The Emergency Contraception Website FAQ’s”: Stupid name, but lots of good info here, and hosted at a reliable institution.

• Using combined oral contraceptive pills as EC :siren: ** Last Resort ** :siren:
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: n/a, much depends on how soon after
    Short description of the method: Works the same as official EC pills. Be sure to follow directions given to you by a health care provider.
    Caveats or process description: This is not the recommended use for COC’s. You are intentionally overdosing on hormones when you do this. If this seems to be your only choice for whatever reason, please do it with the advice of a medical practitioner.
    Side effects / other concerns: Usual side effects of hormonal BC apply: nausea, headaches, dizziness, irregular bleeding. Expect your cycle to be off.
    Links:
    ”The Emergency Contraception Website, using COC’s as EC” page: This page has dosage & brand information about which COC’s can be used for EC, as well as caveats and comparisons.

• Copper IUD as EC
    Common brand names: Paragard, Nova-T
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: .1% as EC (from [url=http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/emergency-contraception-morning-after-pill-4363.aspPlanned Parenthood page on the morning after pill[/url]), see below at B107 for normal use.
    Short description of the method: Inserting a copper IUD within 5 days of a precipitating incident is an effective way of preventing pregnancy. It also has the advantage of remaining in place as birth control until you have it removed (up to 10 years).
    Caveats or process description: “Find” for (B 107), but without the space.
    Side effects / other concerns: “Find” for (B 107), but without the space.
    Average price: “Find” for (B 107), but without the space.
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood page on the morning after pill) mentions this use
    Wikipedia’s morning after pill page also describes this use, in somewhat more detail than PP.

Non-hormonal methods (A101)
Non-hormonal methods can be good choices for women who react poorly to hormones, and condoms are the only method that men can really choose for themselves.

• Male condom (B105)
    Common brand names: Trojan, Durex, Kimono, etc.
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Typical 15% Perfect 2% (latex)
    STD Protection?: yes
    Short description of the method: Condoms are a barrier method - they physically prevent sperm from entering the uterus. A thin material covers the entire penis and retains sperm after ejaculation. After ejaculation, the condom should immediately be removed and disposed of. Some condoms are coated in spermicide, others have a thin lubricant on them, and they can be found in many sizes, shapes, colors and flavors.
    Caveats or process description: Always check the expiry date on your condoms. Do not store your condoms in your pocket or wallet that goes in a pocket for long periods of time; heat can reduce their effectiveness. Always ensure there is enough lubrication when using a condom - friction can cause the condom to break or can cause small tears. Latex condoms can be damaged by oil-based lubricants.
    Use condoms with a reservoir tip - condoms without the extra room at the tip are more likely to burst. The most effective condoms are made of latex, polyurethane or polyisoprene (a latex derivative that shouldn’t cause an allergic reaction) You can get lambskin condoms, which still block sperm but may not protect against STDs.
    Make sure you are putting the condom on correctly, and make sure you are wearing the correct size. There is no need to get your ego involved here - if you need a snugger fit than available on the shelves of your drug store, there are plenty of sites online that sell them. We’re talking about the risk of pregnancy here, and condoms that fit too loosely can leak or slip off during sex.
    Do not attempt to reuse a condom - if you start a second round, use a new condom. If you go flaccid at some point, remove the condom and put on a new one. Do not “double up” condoms - the increased friction can make them more likely to break. Lastly, do not try to flush condoms down the toilet - dispose of them in the trash.
    Side effects / other concerns: Some people are allergic to latex and so have adverse reactions to latex condoms.
    Average price: roughly $1 each, but may be acquired for free at many student or community health clinics. (From Planned Parenthood’s page on male condoms)
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on Male Condoms
    Wikipedia Page on Male Condoms
    Condomania: This is the website recommended in the sex questions thread for all your condom purchasing needs.

• Female condom
    Common brand names: n/a
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Typical 21%, Perfect 5%
    STD Protection?: yes
    Short description of the method: Similar to the male condom, the female condom is a barrier method that prevents sperm from entering the uterus. Female condoms do not fit snugly - they are much looser and are inserted in the vagina prior to intercourse, kept in place with a flexible ring. The penis then goes into the female condom during intercourse, and the condom blocks sperm after ejaculation. Most female condoms are made from artificial materials, so it could be an option if one partner has a latex allergy.
    Caveats or process description: Female condoms can be noisy, tricky to use at first and can be unappealing aesthetically. They are also more expensive than male condoms and less effective. These factors probably explain why the female condom is not as commonly used as the male condom. However, many people who use them find they transmit heat and sensation much better than male condoms, and some (women and men) prefer how female condoms feel.
    Side effects / other concerns: n/a
    Average price: about $4 each (from Planned Parenthood’s page on female condoms)
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on female condoms
    Wikipedia’s page on female condoms

• Diaphragm (with spermicide) (B106)
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Typical %16, Perfect 6%
    Short description of the method: The diaphragm is a latex dome that is placed over the cervix. It is always to be used in conjunction with a spermicidal foam or gel.
    Caveats or process description: Prescription only. In order to get a diaphragm, you must see a health care provider who can measure you and find the correct size. You must insert the diaphragm over your cervic any time you have sex, and be sure to place it properly. Oil-based lubes or other products may harm latex diaphragms. A diaphragm can be used for up to three years.
    Side effects / other concerns: If left in too long, the diaphragm can cause TSS. Other risks include yeast infections, UTIs, and vaginal irritation.
    Average price: $15-75, plus doctor’s office costs. Spermicide will cost $8-17 per kit.
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on diaphragms
    Wikipedia’s page on diaphragms

• Copper IUD (B107)
    Common brand names: ParaGard, Nova-T
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Typical 0.8% Perfect 0.6%
    Short description of the method: A small plastic T, wrapped in copper, is inserted into the uterus by a health practitioner. The copper IUD is approved to remain in place for 10-12 years; however, it is effective indefinitely. Thin strings hang down through the cervix so that it can be easily checked that the IUD hasn’t moved or been expelled. The copper IUD is the most used birth control world wide. The mechanisms of action are not fully understood, but it is thought the presence of copper stimulates an immune response which makes the uterus hostile to sperm. It may have a secondary effect of interfering with implantation of a fertilized egg, though it is not confirmed.
    Caveats or process description: You will need a doctor to insert an IUD. The history of copper IUDs in the US is scarred by one model several decades ago that was poorly designed and led to infertility in several women. For this reason, IUDs were very unpopular in the US until recently. Modern IUDs are very different from older generations. See Wikipedia’s history of the copper IUD section for more information on the older models and their problems.
    Some doctors will not insert an IUD for a women who has not had any children, who are young or who is not in a monogamous, long-term relationship. The former is because there is a slightly higher risk of expulsion and the insertion process can be more tricky, the latter is because it was once believed that IUDs increased the risk of complications from STIs (this has never been confirmed in a study). Usually if you shop around, you can find an experienced practitioner who will insert an IUD even if you don’t have children, are young or not in a long term relationship. Here is a really great article explaining the mechanism, history, & effectiveness of IUD's.

Before insertion, it is recommended you take a dose of ibuprofen to help with the pain. Some doctors prefer that you be on your period, when the cervix is slightly softer, while others have no such preference. Some doctors will prescribe something to dilate the cervix, though some people claim this makes the insertion more painful.
    Insertion is fairly quick but can be painful - There will be a pinch or cramp as the IUD and its insertion rod pass through the cervix, and then a moderate to severe menstrual cramp feeling when the IUD itself is inserted. The doctor will ensure the IUD is positioned properly and then may trim the strings. For some days after insertion you can expect to have bleeding and cramping - ibuprofen and heat pads will help.
    Side effects / other concerns: The most common side effect of a copper IUD is heavier, longer and more painful periods. This can last from months to years, but will eventually subside.

The second concern is expulsion. The risk of expulsion is highest in the weeks following insertion and is characterized by sudden intense pain and bleeding and the IUD moves out of the uterus. The risk of expulsion is higher if you have not had children. Some women catch it before the IUD is fully rejected, but while it has moved from its proper position. In these cases you must have the IUD removed and, should you wish to keep using an IUD, you must have another inserted in its place. Check that you can feel the strings coming out of the cervix at least every month (recommended you do this after every period)

There is a risk of uterine perforation, where the IUD punctures the uterus. This is most likely to happen during insertion by an inexperienced practitioner, and very rarely after insertion.

Lastly, there is an increased risk of ectopic pregnancy. Should the IUD fail and you become pregnant, there is a higher risk that the pregnancy will be ectopic. Factoring in the effectiveness of the IUD, however, and the overall risk of ectopic pregnancy is the same as in the non-IUD population.

If you have a nickel allergy or sensitivity to metals, the copper IUD may not be for you. The copper wire that wraps around the Paragard's plastic frame contains trace amounts of nickel. There are also super rare instances of allergies to the copper itself. If you get your health care provider to call the company, though, they will send a sample of the copper used in the Paragard so you can test it against your skin. The phone number for Paragard questions is 877-727-2427. I called them and got this information on January 21, 2011.
    Here is one account of an allergic reaction: It is unfortunately a livejournal post, but there are some articles on Pubmed about copper allergies and reactions to the copper in the IUD, so you can see how the reaction might present itself (generally in skin rash problems, especially during menses).

Average price: between $500 and $1000, depending on doctor’s office costs. Usually the copper IUD is cheaper overall than the Mirena, however.
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on IUD’s
    Wikipedia’s page on the copper IUD

• Sponges (B108)
    Common brand names: Pharmatex, Protectaid and Today.
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Typical 16%; Perfect 9%.
    Short description of the method: A wetted sponge is placed in the vagina prior to intercourse, and left there for at least six hours after ejaculation has occurred. Many brands contain spermicides in order to increase effectiveness. Sponges may not be reused.
    Caveats or process description: Takes some time to learn to use effectively.
    Side effects / other concerns: Risks of TSS, yeast infections, or UTIs.
    Average price: $4-$5 per sponge (Tend to come in 3 packs for $13-15)
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on sponges
    Contraceptive sponge at Livestrong.com
    Wikipedia: Contraceptive sponge

• Spermicidal films, gels, creams, pills, foams (B109)
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Typical 29%, Perfect 18%.
    Short description of the method: Spermicides are meant to block sperm from reaching an egg, and to keep them from moving.
    Caveats or process description: Depending on the product, the method for using spermicides may be different. Always follow the instructions that come with your particular product. In general, the idea is that the spermicide should block the cervix, and it needs to be put on at least 10 minutes before intercourse. Also, it may remain effective for only 1 hour after application.
    Side effects / other concerns: Can be messy or irritating.
    Average price: ~$8 per package
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on spermicides
    Wikipedia’s page on Spermicide

• Rhythm Method, Pulling Out, or Natural Family Planning (B110)
    Typical and perfect use failure rates: Typical, 12-27%; Perfect 3-9%
    Short description of the method: Some methods rely on the calendar, others on regularly taking the woman’s basal body temperature to determine where she is in her cycle, others rely on luck (pulling out). The method commonly known as “fertility awareness” has the highest success rate since it attempts to track a woman’s unique menstrual cycle. The method commonly called the “calendar method”, which counts days since the beginning of a period to determine ovulation time, typically assumes every woman has a 28-day menstrual cycle and that she ovulates the same time every cycle, which is not necessarily true.

Coitus interruptus, or “pulling out” is surprisingly effective when done correctly - that is, consistently. The main cause for the extremely high typical-use failure rate of pulling out is simply a failure to pull out. It is not recommended to be used as the primary birth control, but in a situation where it’s use the pull out method or not method at all, pull out. It is the only birth control method that takes no preparation, aside from urinating before intercourse to empty the urethra of any sperm that may be present.

Natural family planning methods are generally used by women who react badly to hormonal methods, or have religious convictions that prevent them from using other more effective methods.
    Caveats or process description: The typical use failure rates are in some cases over 25%. Even the perfect use rates are several times worse than the rates of many of the other methods described here. If you wish to use these methods, be sure that you and your partner have a plan for what to do should a pregnancy result. While every couple ought to have a plan, one doing natural planning is the most likely to need it.
    Side effects / other concerns: Parenthood.
    Average price: n/a
    Links:
    Planned Parenthood’s page on fertility awareness methods
    Planned Parenthood’s page on pulling out
    Wikipedia: Calendar-based methods
    Wikipedia: Coitus interruptus (Pulling out)
    Wikipedia: Fertility Awareness
    Details about Fertility Awareness
    Taking charge of your fertility

Permanent Methods (A107)

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 24, 2013

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Well, it looks like you are trying to answer every birth control related question anyone could possibly have in the first two posts, so my question is: what are we supposed to do with the rest of this thread?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
That was quick. The goal is to replace the old thread, which is enormous & unwieldy and gets a lot of the same small questions all the time. I expect there will still be plenty of posts asking for advice, anecdotal experiences, or e/n style silliness. That is mostly what goes on in the other thread. Is that okay? I was about to PM CE or you and ask for the switchover. Sorry if I presumed :\

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That was quick. The goal is to replace the old thread, which is enormous & unwieldy and gets a lot of the same small questions all the time. I expect there will still be plenty of posts asking for advice, anecdotal experiences, or e/n style silliness. That is mostly what goes on in the other thread. Is that okay? I was about to PM CE or you and ask for the switchover. Sorry if I presumed :\

Yeah I know it's annoying when people ask repeat questions but that is a lot of information organized in a rather complicated fashion I just hope you guys aren't going to yell at (or report) people for asking a question that's already been answered in section R203 because I bet that is going to happen a lot.

Also I don't actually moderate this forum so you don't have to listen to me, I'm just sayin is all.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Earwicker posted:

Yeah I know it's annoying when people ask repeat questions but that is a lot of information organized in a rather complicated fashion I just hope you guys aren't going to yell at (or report) people for asking a question that's already been answered in section R203 because I bet that is going to happen a lot.

Also I don't actually moderate this forum so you don't have to listen to me, I'm just sayin is all.

Ah, fair enough. Yeeah the code system is a little silly at the moment. I might try to tidy that up if I can think of a better way. Maybe we got overexcited :v:

eta: vvvvvvvvvv I have too many loving posts already so yes good idea Bagleworm, I have done that.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 18, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
A good number of posts in the old thread, even from regulars, in there were posts asking for reassurance about their particular situation.

And we're here to help our lady goon friends not be assholes to them. It's just an organized quick check guide for anyone who has questions they may not want to post about. :colbert:

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Maybe you should add in that most of the OP is an attempt to aggregate all the important info about all types of birth control, and it's not expected that anyone will read the whole thing before asking a question. :)

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
So they always say "before having unprotected sex, get tested." But how exactly does that work? Where do you go? Do you need an appointment? What's the turnaround? Can somebody just walk me through the whole procedure, from the initial conversation to getting the results? I've never had to deal with this but I might soon.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
I just saw that you have Plan B's directions as "take 1 tablet immediately, then 1 tablet 12 hours later". This is actually less preferable to taking both at once (so you don't forget one), which is more convenient and may actually cause fewer side effects.

Also, I know I've mentioned it a million times in the last thread, but this PDF book is awesome: http://www.managingcontraception.com/shopping/product.php?productid=16161&cat=3&page=1

It might be good for those goonettes who want to know everything about their birth control and don't quite trust Wikipedia.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

showbiz_liz posted:

So they always say "before having unprotected sex, get tested." But how exactly does that work? Where do you go? Do you need an appointment? What's the turnaround? Can somebody just walk me through the whole procedure, from the initial conversation to getting the results? I've never had to deal with this but I might soon.

I believe planned parenthoods do hiv/std/etc testing. Not all of them have the same services, but you can call and ask the ones near you if they do. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to answer anything for you.

e: better yet they have a big Q&A laid out about it

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/stds-hiv-safer-sex/hiv-testing-19857.htm

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 18, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

showbiz_liz posted:

PP is a good bet. I am pretty sure you can get it done at your doctor's office, too. For many of them all they need to do is take a sample smear from inside your vag (I do not know what they do for men; maybe a urine test?).

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Before I had my IUD inserted, I was required to have a STD test done - they drew blood in addition to the pap smear. I had an appointment at the hospital to get the blood drawn. I don't know if that's standard procedure or not, but I've never made an appointment specifically to get tested.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Call Planned Parenthood or a local clinic and say "Hi, I'd like to make an appointment to get a full STD panel." Some cities also have free walk-in testing centers you can use instead.

Be sure to ask what they're testing for (usually HSV isn't on the list).

Testing methods differ. They haven't swabbed my vagina, but they've asked for blood and urine tests. Or they may want to do a cheek swab for a rapid HIV test -- every facility probably has slightly different procedures. Feel free to ask what to expect.

Missus Dill
May 8, 2007

I've been taking birth control pills since I was 18 (now 23) and I'd like to have babies eventually. Do women typically have difficulties becoming pregnant after having been on the pill for many years?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Hirudo posted:

I've been taking birth control pills since I was 18 (now 23) and I'd like to have babies eventually. Do women typically have difficulties becoming pregnant after having been on the pill for many years?

Not really. In fact return to fertility happens within 1-3 months for most women.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

DRP Solved! posted:

Not really. In fact return to fertility happens within 1-3 months for most women.

It can take 6 months to a year for some women, though, just to give you an idea of the range of time it might take. I went off birth control in January '09 and got pregnant in July '09. I always had irregular periods too, but I didn't bleed at all between going off the pill and getting pregnant, which is also interesting.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I had posted a little in the other thread about my girlfriend's (now wife!) experiences with IUD's, and figured people might find it interesting to get a second-hand perspective on it.

She started with a copper IUD because of a worry about hormonal drugs interacting with a medication she was on. It was extremely painful for her within an hour of having it inserted (amazingly the insertion didn't hurt her at all). We had read though how it was painful at first, so she decided to just keep toughing it out. This continued on for months, with it being most painful around her periods. Eventually this led to a diagnosis of endometriosis, which she had surgery to try to get rid off. Anyways, for way too long she kept wanting to tough it out so that she didn't "waste" the money we paid for the IUD, but eventually I convinced her to switch to a Mirena (she was off the medication by this point).

The Mirena was MUCH better, and also significantly smaller. Our current theory is that the copper IUD was so painful because her uterus is quite small (based on sonograms we had done) and the copper IUD was hitting up against it all the time and irritating it. The Mirena is also supposed to help surpress endometriosis. She's been on that for over a year now, and it's been working much better for her.

She no longer has any periods at all, except for spotting every once in a really great while, and her endometriosis symptoms have gone way down. And she never has to remember to take any pill nor seems to have much of the side effects of the normal pill since the dosage level is so small.

We plan on using this indefinitely, and she highly recommends it to all her friends.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
Not exactly related to birth control, but she also wanted me to get out the word to as many people as possible about how to prevent UTI's, since she was getting multiple ones a month at one point, even with peeing and cleaning up after wards each time. And it's not that I have a dirty penis, my ex never had any problems!

We got these little soap towelettes from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SY2344/ref=oss_product) and each wipe our genitals down before sex each time. She's been UTI free for months now since we started that, and it's no more of a hassle than putting on a condom.

So if you find yourself or a friend having UTI's all the freaking time no matter how much they pee or suck down cranberries tablets, give those towelettes a try.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

BananaFusion posted:

Not exactly related to birth control, but she also wanted me to get out the word to as many people as possible about how to prevent UTI's, since she was getting multiple ones a month at one point, even with peeing and cleaning up after wards each time. And it's not that I have a dirty penis, my ex never had any problems!

We got these little soap towelettes from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SY2344/ref=oss_product) and each wipe our genitals down before sex each time. She's been UTI free for months now since we started that, and it's no more of a hassle than putting on a condom.

So if you find yourself or a friend having UTI's all the freaking time no matter how much they pee or suck down cranberries tablets, give those towelettes a try.

These wipes (which contain coconut oil) should definitely not be used by anyone relying on latex or polyisoprene condoms for birth control though, because they will make the condoms less effective and more likely to break.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As someone who works in reproductive health care, I am genuinely impressed by the thoroughness and accuracy of the op. There are so many awful misconceptions (zing) about birth control that it's nice to know they won't be bandied about in this thread.

SimHuman
Jan 1, 2004

It's either real or it's a dream
There's nothing that is in between
Paragard/copper IUD trip report: I got my IUD in November 2009 and posted a few times about terrible pain afterward, so I thought I should give my impressions now. For reference, I am currently 24 and married with no children. My fantastic gynecologist suggested the IUD when I was 23 (then engaged) because I can't use hormonal birth control for medical reasons.

For me, the IUD is great. The first 7-9 months of periods were (relative to what I'd had previously, at least) hellishly painful and had absurd, Ultra-tampon-soaked-in-4-hours bleeding. After that, the pain and bleeding plummeted back down to slightly worse than pre-IUD. If I put a number on it, maybe 15% more bleeding and cramping? Otherwise, no discomfort, no worries, and no accidental babies so far!

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

SimHuman posted:

Paragard/copper IUD trip report: I got my IUD in November 2009 and posted a few times about terrible pain afterward, so I thought I should give my impressions now. For reference, I am currently 24 and married with no children. My fantastic gynecologist suggested the IUD when I was 23 (then engaged) because I can't use hormonal birth control for medical reasons.

For me, the IUD is great. The first 7-9 months of periods were (relative to what I'd had previously, at least) hellishly painful and had absurd, Ultra-tampon-soaked-in-4-hours bleeding. After that, the pain and bleeding plummeted back down to slightly worse than pre-IUD. If I put a number on it, maybe 15% more bleeding and cramping? Otherwise, no discomfort, no worries, and no accidental babies so far!

Thank you for posting your update! I just got the Paragard in November of 2010 so I've only had it for about 2 months and I have been considering removal because my periods are so awful, but if it gets better then I may just stick it out. You have given me hope. Thank you.

Wafulz
Jul 7, 2004

Is this what we've come to?
you forgot the most important form of birth control: abstinence!!!! :supaburn:

It may also be useful to talk about failure rates because people suck at numbers. I could do a quick write up if nobody else wants to.

favoritehello
Sep 17, 2010
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but I figured it must be since it is regarding birth control. (I searched the forums and I have looked a bit online--either nobody has asked and/or the detailed information is not easily available or I suck majorly at searching.)

RE: Yasmin and Potassium

I am currently on a daily treatment taking a supplement pill called "Sierra Sil" for joint pain. I take 3 times a day. It says on the bottle "Joint Forumla14 supports joint health and mobility. Start feeling better in 14 days or less. JF14 contains SierraSil, a pure, all natural mineral power with essential minerals including calcium, iron, and other trace minerals such as silicon, potassium, magnesium, manganese, copper, and zinc...etc etc" I bought it at a health food store after my boyfriend looked into it and thought it would help ease my chronic wrist/hand pain. I didn't think about the potassium issue until recently stumbling across it while reading information about Yasmin. Apparently Yasmin has potassium in it, and potassium supplements should not be combined with the birth control.

Now Sierra Sil is not purely a potassium supplement. Also, the bottle of Sierra Sil I have also does not say exactly how much potassium is in it. It only says what I quoted above and that each capsule contains: "SierraSi...667 mg" Helpful I know.

I am not sure how much potassium conflicts with Yasmin, and I was wondering if anyone knew more information about this. My guess is that what I am taking probably doesn't strongly conflict with it but it's only a guess. I'll talk to my doctor when I can to find out more. Any links or information you can provided would be very much appreciated (especially those saying how much potassium conflicts with Yasmin). Sometimes my doctor does not know much and the last time I asked him questions he told me to further research it on the internet. He's not the best doctor but there aren't many in the city that are accepting new patients.

Thank you for your help.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Ask your pharmacist. Hell, any pharmacist. This is their area. They'll be able to tell you if you shouldn't take it and can possibly suggest a better option for your joints if it's not compatible. Don't take it until you're sure, stop if you're taking it already.

Sapphic Swordsaint
Dec 19, 2010

Those rare moments when my superiors show wisdom come perilously close to restoring my faith in the social order.
I'm an off and on again Depo Provera user. I get it for dysmenorrhea and it works wonders. I've never had a side effect off of it and would recommend it for this use.

Now, a question: Is it normal for doctors to force me to get a pregnancy test before each shot, or is this a regional and/or moral thing? I noticed when I lived in California, they would give it to me, and most clinics had it available. I currently live in Arizona and not only is it hard to find a clinic with any birth control options (much less Depo), they do this to me every time. Even though I'm getting it for not sex related reasons. They always seem very hostile and angry when I do manage to be able to get the shot administered and tell me I should go off so I could have a baby/family someday. I've even had doctors outright not give it to me here saying I was using it to cover up an abortion I wanted to have in secret or some other bizarre conspiracy. It's all very passive aggressive on the best of days getting it here. I figure I would tell them I'm gay, but given that it's Arizona, and I won't be here more than two a half months more at most, it's not worth any further ostracizing.

Unfortunately I've had to drop it for now due to their hostile attitudes towards me about it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Sapphic Swordsaint posted:

I'm an off and on again Depo Provera user. I get it for dysmenorrhea and it works wonders. I've never had a side effect off of it and would recommend it for this use.

Now, a question: Is it normal for doctors to force me to get a pregnancy test before each shot, or is this a regional and/or moral thing? I noticed when I lived in California, they would give it to me, and most clinics had it available. I currently live in Arizona and not only is it hard to find a clinic with any birth control options (much less Depo), they do this to me every time. Even though I'm getting it for not sex related reasons. They always seem very hostile and angry when I do manage to be able to get the shot administered and tell me I should go off so I could have a baby/family someday. I've even had doctors outright not give it to me here saying I was using it to cover up an abortion I wanted to have in secret or some other bizarre conspiracy. It's all very passive aggressive on the best of days getting it here. I figure I would tell them I'm gay, but given that it's Arizona, and I won't be here more than two a half months more at most, it's not worth any further ostracizing.

Unfortunately I've had to drop it for now due to their hostile attitudes towards me about it.
It seems normal if you're on-again, off-again. Like, if you got a shot four or five months ago, then for the last 1-2 months you haven't been protected; it's like you're starting birth control all over again. They want to be sure you didn't get pregnant during the last few unprotected months, because if you did and then they give you a shot full o' hormones, it wouldn't be good news for the baby. That part is covering their asses.

The nutjobbery is all theirs. If you just want to get in, get what you want, and get out, I'd recommend striking up a conversation with the nurse and getting a little TMI pretty quickly: "Oh, I sure am glad I found this shot, isn't it amazing. I used to bleed all the time, you know, and I was afraid I would just bleed so much I wouldn't be able to have babies down the road. But this shot stops all that worry, isn't that a wonderful thing?"

It's lying, but it hurts nobody and it makes your life way, way easier.

v Better than latex for this laydee, too. Apart from the "WAIT STOP I think it broke or came off or disappeared!" factor! Lifestyles Skyn hell yeah.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 19, 2011

CHEEZball
Nov 23, 2006
As someone with a latex allergy, I tried out the polyisoprene and polyurethane condoms.

Polyisoprene are awesome! And have gotten comments that they are better than latex for the men! Very thin, and very strong :)

Polyurethane are thick and I just don't like em.

Sapphic Swordsaint
Dec 19, 2010

Those rare moments when my superiors show wisdom come perilously close to restoring my faith in the social order.

Anne Whateley posted:

It seems normal if you're on-again, off-again. Like, if you got a shot four or five months ago, then for the last 1-2 months you haven't been protected; it's like you're starting birth control all over again. They want to be sure you didn't get pregnant during the last few unprotected months, because if you did and then they give you a shot full o' hormones, it wouldn't be good news for the baby. That part is covering their asses.

I should have been more clear. Sorry! By that I meant I would get it regularly for a few years then miss it for a while due to funds but then go back on it again regularly when I could. I would be in once every 3 months like clockwork and the same people will still be making me piss in cups. They seem to have the biggest batch of paranoia over babies I've ever seen any medical office have.

Thanks for everything else though! I'll try that.

CHEEZball
Nov 23, 2006

I should have been more clear. Sorry! By that I meant I would get it regularly for a few years then miss it for a while due to funds but then go back on it again regularly when I could. I would be in once every 3 months like clockwork and the same people will still be making me piss in cups. They seem to have the biggest batch of paranoia over babies I've ever seen any medical office have.

Thanks for everything else though! I'll try that.

When I was on Depo they made me have a pregnancy test every 3 months too. They said it was just in case and for my safety. I don't think it's a case of paranoia, I think it's them doing their jobs lol

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
I seem to recall reading that if you get pregnant while on Depo/have recently been on Depo, there's a higher risk of some complications or illnesses in the baby's early years.

Although I think in your case they're just hatin' on birth control because clearly you should be pregnant, married and raising a family by now.

Edit: and yeah, it's probably a good idea to have some explanation of what, exactly, a typical and perfect use failure rate means. I've seen many people think the failure rate is for every time you have sex, and that would be... scary. :/

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 19, 2011

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Anne Whateley posted:

The nutjobbery is all theirs. If you just want to get in, get what you want, and get out, I'd recommend striking up a conversation with the nurse and getting a little TMI pretty quickly: "Oh, I sure am glad I found this shot, isn't it amazing. I used to bleed all the time, you know, and I was afraid I would just bleed so much I wouldn't be able to have babies down the road. But this shot stops all that worry, isn't that a wonderful thing?"

It's lying, but it hurts nobody and it makes your life way, way easier.

I agree with this. I live in an area where it is (sadly) very hard to get birth control. Practically every GYN in this area (at least all of the ones covered by my insurance) are affiliated with the local Catholic hospital and will not prescribe birth control at all. I called a few the other day just to make sure and when I asked one of the receptionists if they prescribed birth control she said "No, but we do counsel on natural family planning." What the gently caress is that?

Anyway, our local Planned Parenthood is renovating and has limited appointments, so I'm driving an extra half an hour to one. Living in the boonies is not fun. Thank God for Planned Parenthood!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

If things are that bad, have you tried contacting your local Planned Parenthood affiliate? I realize that there may be a distance thing because Arizona is so big and spread out, but you should never have a problem getting easy access to birth control at a PP affiliate.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Maybe a silly question: how common is depression as a side effect of birth control pills?

I was prescribed a 3-month trial Loestrin 24 in October, to see if it would help with some breakthrough bleeding I had been having. When I ran out a couple of weeks ago, the severe depression that had been affecting me for the past 2 months lifted as if by magic within a couple of days. Of course, that wasn't the only thing going on in my life at the time, so maybe it's just a coincidence. I had been on a different pill (don't remember which) a few years ago with no side effects.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
It's very possible. Especially if going off the birth control was the only thing that changed. It's not uncommon, but side effects vary from person to person.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
I started the Evra patch about 6 weeks ago (a few days before my period started) and am still waiting for my cycle to get back to normal, can you give me any idea of when it will settle down time wise?

Edit: It has started to control some mid cycle breakthrough bleeding issues I had due to Thyroid issues, but I was just wondering when I could ideally get back to some sort of regular cycle.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

favoritehello posted:

RE: Yasmin and Potassium

I wholeheartedly support what some other posters have said about discussing this with your pharmacist, but I figured I might be able to elaborate a bit.

First, I'd like to say that, given the contents of the supplemented listed on the product website (http://www.sierrasil.com/composition.php), this supplement is unlikely to do anything at all for your wrist and hand pain.

Second, Yasmin does not really itself contain potassium, but contains a hormone that is very similar to spironolactone, a potassium-sparing diuretic. This means that the Yasmin can cause you to retain more potassium, and possibly too much potassium, which could lead to heart arrhythmias. Honestly, if you're on Yasmin it's a good idea to get blood tests every few months or so at first to make sure that your potassium levels are in check.

Anyway, according to the product website, you only get about 20 mg of potassium per day (less than contained in 1/20th of a banana) from taking 3 pills daily, so it's not a very large amount of potassium.

tl;dr: The supplement won't help your wrist/hand pain. The supplements don't contain very much potassium and shouldn't affect your potassium levels much. Go to a doctor about your wrist pain and get some routine bloodwork for your potassium while you're on the Yasmin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

footaneurysm
Mar 27, 2006
I'm 23 and I've been on the pill for 3 years now, Yaz before and now Loestrine 24, and they both have 4 placebo pills instead of 7. Ever since I started taking the pill my period would come on the 3rd or 4th day into the placebo pills and go through the first day or two into the next pack. I'm concerned about the timing of my period. I've even tried putting off starting the next pack for a few days to make the placebo last 6 or 7 days rather than 4, but my period would then come a few days later the next month. I'm worried because that means I'm not getting the hormones in the last few days before my period, I just want to be sure I'm still protected. I know it's been answered before but the fact that my period is very insistent on being "late" I'm wondering if this has any impact on how effective the pill would be. I'm also concerned because due to health issues in the past few years my period is getting lighter and shorter and I've even missed a period here and there. If I miss a period would that also impact how protected I am on the pill, assuming it's not due to pregnancy?

• Locked thread