Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

No, you're right, out of focus is clearly a good quality in photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

You can do the same thing with your opinions, hth

Do you honestly believe that those were good photos of which no criticism is possible?

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Helen Highwater posted:

Do you honestly believe that those were good photos of which no criticism is possible?

Do you honestly believe you posted your "criticism" in a manner worth listening to?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why should anyone invest effort on critique when the photographer couldn't invest effort on uploading properly focused pictures?

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

If they want to get on a high horse about the quality of their posting maybe they should.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If they want to post poo poo photos of pets without criticism they should go to PI not The Dorkroom

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Do you honestly believe you posted your "criticism" in a manner worth listening to?

Do you honestly believe that a bunch of poorly composed, badly framed, out of focus images merited proper critique?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
My friend got kittens.

And here's one more of my dumb dog.

PS, before you murder me for taking blurry pictures, please click through and look at them on flickr. I used their BBCode share thing, and the thumbnails they give you are pretty compressed.

Thank you for considering my continued survival on this earth.

PPS, it was very dark, and kittens move around a lot.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Hiked up Pacaya Volcano in Guatemala back in August, upon getting up to the lava field I encountered this dog just having a nice little nap. Not really sure if it really fits the landscape thread, so posting it here

Pacaya Volcano by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Our 6 month old coonhound pup out for a walk; she's already outgrown the jacket we got her a couple of months ago, and now it's just a question of getting her another one now, or waiting until she's full grown next winter.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.

Murphy by Mike McDermott, on Flickr

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

This is great, thick with texture.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
IMG_20200222_011307 by B. B., on Flickr

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

i got kinda artsy in Lightroom.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So, I went to the annual basset hound event again over the weekend and took photos for the 4th year in a row and put them on Facebook for everyone. Culled 130 I think out of 650 which I'm happy with, but...

...I don't know. Like, I try to get a variety of shots (doggy portraits, candid owner shows, fun compositions like with the two dogs facing opposite directions etc) but to me there's nothing special. But at the same time is there anything I can really aim for? I don't recall really seeing much in the way of 'holy poo poo these are amazing' event photos to try emulate or learn from. Maybe it's just the nature of things, I can't easily control the lighting and beyond a few times where the owner sees I'm snapping the hound where they'll help get the dogs attention or whatever, I don't have any control over the 'model' either. Like, I still enjoy it and everything and if I do another 10 years worth where the photos essentially look the same that's fine - the owners and people who are part of the rescue always like seeing something that's 'better' (I couldn't think of a more appropriate word) than all the cellphone shots so that's great, it makes me feel like I've contributed and made someone happy.

Last year I was thinking of investing in a portable lighting and backdrop setup so I could do more controlled photos at these events, but then my wife passed away and I can't really imagine doing something like that on my own and I don't really have the $ for more gear now anyway. This year I didn't even take my flashgun/mini softbox thing I use as in these kinds of environments I'm constantly having to adjust settings anyway as the light changes constantly as I move around, so I just took a body and a portrait lens and just used those.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 24, 2020

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried taking a long lens (~200mm or so) and doing sniper candids where the dogs aren't reacting to you because there are a thousand interesting things closer to them than you? At outdoor shows it should be possible to get enough distance, and shots from a ground-level perspective at that range will look cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Helen Highwater posted:

Have you tried taking a long lens (~200mm or so) and doing sniper candids where the dogs aren't reacting to you because there are a thousand interesting things closer to them than you? At outdoor shows it should be possible to get enough distance, and shots from a ground-level perspective at that range will look cool.

That's a 50-150mm on a crop sensor, so I shoot a fair bit at that kind of length already. And yeah, muddy and grassy knees as I do try to get low when possible (to the point where I'm lying completely prone at some points... thank god it was dry this weekend!)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Everyone loves seeing their hounds in freeze frame with their folds going every which way when shaking or running!

It is the same picture over and over again, but a fun one. Slow mo on the phones has taken some novelty though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha yeah, I need to work out a way of getting them to do that on demand. I have a handful, but not as many as I'd like!

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Test shot because I wanted to try out going from card directly to Lightroom on the iPad, for what I do which is 90% natural light and simple black and white conversion it was by a long shot the least annoying option I’ve found.

Portrait of a bug by learnin curve, on Flickr

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Sleepytime fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 26, 2020

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dead bird warning I guess?

I went with a friend to a Hunting Retriever Club training event to take some photos. Ended up being quite a workout doing sprints up and down a field with 4-6 inches of snow while wearing boots and carrying a camera dodging chukar and birdshot flying through the air. Really makes me want a camera with a bigger buffer than my 80D. Some of that new-fangled animal-eye-AF would be nice too. Shooting jet black dogs on bright white snow in waist high brush is definitely a challenging environment. Lots of the shots looked like this:

Got some good ones though, including these:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
You did a great job nailing focus!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

now I've learned to link to flickr, there's no stopping me. Missed focus a bit on the second one

little model by Warrior Flann, on Flickr

little model by Warrior Flann, on Flickr

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

There's a lil sweetie :cheerdoge:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Wanna pet all these pets.

Probably shouldn't pet these, though. These two are old pals (20+ years) :

These three youngsters are new arrivals, rescued from pretty poor conditions. Gaining their trust is a slow journey.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I was initially unsure about this lens because it didn't have the same biting sharpness and feel as the Fuji kit I've been using to now. One pet portrait later though, and I'm pretty sold...

DSC03552_1 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My son got to name the new cat. Meet Phineas, who is patented.

Patented by B. B., on Flickr

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

charliebravo77 posted:

Dead bird warning I guess?

I went with a friend to a Hunting Retriever Club training event to take some photos. Ended up being quite a workout doing sprints up and down a field with 4-6 inches of snow while wearing boots and carrying a camera dodging chukar and birdshot flying through the air. Really makes me want a camera with a bigger buffer than my 80D. Some of that new-fangled animal-eye-AF would be nice too. Shooting jet black dogs on bright white snow in waist high brush is definitely a challenging environment. Lots of the shots looked like this:

Got some good ones though, including these:

as someone with an 80d who sometimes wonders why i havent yet upgraded to full frame, these make me realize that im nowhere the limit for what is possible with an 80d

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Heh. One of the best things I did recently to extend my 80D's usability is to buy a new SD card - turns out using a microSD+adapter was a real bottleneck in high framerate bursts. It's not a 1dxII or R5 woo shutter go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr but it's certainly noticeable and my buffer empties faster which was the real issue. Glass helps a lot too. After buying my first nice fast lenses (Sigma Art 18-35/1.8 & Tamron G2 70-200/2.8) I was getting a lot closer to the results I actually wanted. I would still like a full frame for better low light shots and some new fancy AF would be great too, but my 80D is trucking along pretty well all things considered. It's entirely subjective, but learning how to actually use Lightroom to post process, use presets, make my own presets, etc. also went a long way. I spent a long time wondering how people got photos that looked a certain way and couldn't replicate them either out of the camera or with basic levels, contrast or hue/sat adjustments. Now it's pretty easy to be like 'let's just lift/crush those blacks, mute the greens, drop the highlights, whatever' and achieve what has become my preferred aesthetic or mimic something else.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 2, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That Tamron 70-200 is cheat mode. Optically it's about equivalent to the Canon version but the price can't be beat and the IS is magic. I think some people don't like how sticky it is but I love it.

Only time the 80d fails me is when focusing with my Tamron 150-600. I don't know why but it's really bad at it. Same lens works great on my newer body.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

That Tamron 70-200 is cheat mode. Optically it's about equivalent to the Canon version but the price can't be beat and the IS is magic. I think some people don't like how sticky it is but I love it.

Only time the 80d fails me is when focusing with my Tamron 150-600. I don't know why but it's really bad at it. Same lens works great on my newer body.

You know, I was having some trouble with the 150-600 too. I played around with the AF settings in the body but haven't quite found the right combo to really nail stuff repetitively, particularly with birds in flight and other moving subjects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
yeah i think at this point it would be wiser to invest in some new glass rather than upgrading to full-frame

here is some of what i've done with the 80d, im the photographer for our local cat shelter so i get a lot of opportunities. i also have some studio stuff that i'll post later

as a bonus here was my plan for last month's photo contest. i spent a week getting our most docile cat used to the harness and leash with the goal of putting him on top of that electric box and taking a photo, but when it finally came time to head over to the spot he absolutely flipped his poo poo at the concept of going outside so i had to go with something else

baw fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 3, 2021