Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

The Rev posted:

Hence moving the Embody upstairs and getting a new chair for downstairs. Just looking for any potential recommendations out there for a chair that does well when reclining and has a bit more padding than an Embody?

Padding on the back generally means less support.

I hate to say this but if that is what you're after get some lovely cheap executive chair or a la-z-boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Rev posted:

Hence moving the Embody upstairs and getting a new chair for downstairs. Just looking for any potential recommendations out there for a chair that does well when reclining and has a bit more padding than an Embody?

Not padding, per se, but the Herman Miller Cosm I have (high-backed version) has FANTASTIC back support, and was designed to be used in a reclining position.

That being said, it doesn't recline back nearly as far as other chairs I have had, nor is the "headrest" useful for computer use; it's far enough back that if I use it, I'm looking at the joint where the ceiling meets the wall.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Make sure to try the chair before buying it:

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
Hey Guys

I know this is a chair thread but do you have any pointers on desks? I am looking to buy a standing desk that could support a monitor stand and two laptops

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

RoboBoogie posted:

Hey Guys

I know this is a chair thread but do you have any pointers on desks? I am looking to buy a standing desk that could support a monitor stand and two laptops

Get an ikea standing desk motor and some of the IKEA countertops.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I need a new computer chair.

I don't sit in computer chairs quite like most people, as I have my feet up on an ottoman under the desk at almost all times. I tend to lean back a lot, but I also like to shift position through the day (for example, I usually shift to sitting in the chair cross legged a couple times a day). I'm 5'10" and 165 pounds, and use my computer chair for 12+ hours a day.

In the past I've always been content buying a cheap chair from Office Depot or Staples, using it until it literally breaks in half in three years, and then buying a replacement. I've been doing this for 15+ years without much trouble. There was even a specific chair model that I was able to buy three times in a row, and that chair is the only thing I've used for the last decade. Unfortunately, this chair model is no longer made, and the one I was using broke in half a couple months ago.

Since then I've tried three different replacements from Staples, from three different manufacturers, and they've all suffered from the same problem: after a couple weeks of heavy use, the seat padding loses its support directly under my rear end. This leads to pain and discomfort in the seat of my pants and my lower back.

I've always been averse to getting a proper office chair, like a Herman Miller or a Steelcase. This is less about the price, and more about the fact that they don't seem very "comfy" compared to my cheap padded big box store chairs. I've also always felt like one of these proper office chairs might remind me too much of being in the office. But at this point I think I'm willing to get past these hold-ups if it means getting something more ergonomic and comfortable.

Currently I'm looking at a Steelcase Gesture, and I'm going to try and find one in a showroom this weekend (Seattle area, if anyone has any suggestions for showrooms). Anything else I should consider? I'd prefer a high back, so that I can still lean back and relax and get comfy while watching youtube at the end of the day or whatever.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Kefit posted:

I've always been averse to getting a proper office chair, like a Herman Miller or a Steelcase. This is less about the price, and more about the fact that they don't seem very "comfy" compared to my cheap padded big box store chairs.

Cheap padding that feels comfy for a 30 second test run is easy. Making a chair comfy for 8 hour sessions is hard.
The price is also because those chairs last literally decades (HM also give 12 year warrenties included) , most big box store chairs last maybe 2/3 years max, and only really 1 year at optimal, the padding always goes flat.

If you're in it for some gaming sessions or whatever the sure go for the store chair. But if you work in the chair then your spending 8+ hours a day in it, spend the extra money. Your body and wallet will be thankful in the long run.

Gesture seems like a good starting point. Maybe the HM embody too. The aeron isn't a good fit as you say you cross your legs, it's got curved edges that will get in the way. Humanscale freedom with headrest might also be worth a look.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 6, 2021

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
The Humanscale Freedom seems pretty nice, thanks for suggesting it. There's a showroom with one very close to where I live, so it'll be easy to check it out.

The only showrooms with Gestures I can find in the Seattle area are only open during work hours on weekdays, which is less then ideal. Maybe I can work out a visit to one next week.

Though I'm honestly not sure how much good it'll do to check out these chairs in a showroom. All of the cheap chairs I've gone through in the past couple months have felt quite comfortable in the hour I spent on them in the store. It's much more difficult to figure out whether or not that comfort will last for an entire day of sitting, and then for an entire week or two or three of sitting days after that.

Is there any reason not to order a refurbished chair from a site like https://backcomfortstore.com/? I don't mind used stuff as long as it's in good condition, and refurbished Humanscale Freedom's on sites sites like these are a good 50% off the new price.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

After reading this thread, I ended up picking up a "remanufactured" Leap V2 from Crandall. Overall the chair feels nice and I think it will be great long-term. I will say though that I was a little disappointed with the level of cleanliness the chair had, given how much they sell up their remanufacturing process. The seat (new) and back (sanitized) padding all appeared clean, and the arm pads are obviously new, but there was noticeable dirt on the wheel hub, and there was a fair amount of dust on the seat frame in various visible crevices, and also some of the attachment pieces.

I had read horror stories about Madison Seating and had hoped to avoid it with Crandall, and I think overall I did, but I just wanted to forewarn anyone a little bit, since I wasn't expecting to have to spend over an hour cleaning various parts of the chair.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

Kefit posted:

I've always been averse to getting a proper office chair, like a Herman Miller or a Steelcase. This is less about the price, and more about the fact that they don't seem very "comfy".

I’m WFH because of the pandemic, and bought a Leap V2 which is very comfy both for work, and for 8 hour blood-clot inducing gaming sessions. You’ll be fine. Anything “comfier” will destroy your spine in time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The Logitech gaming Embody is on sale for $1350:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15209302-herman-miller-logitech-embody-15-off-1355-75-ac?src=jfy%7Crecombee%7C319dfa00deef7ecc503ed2690c2118d4

I know it's expensive but I am a huge, huge proponent of the Embody chair. It's not for everyone (no one chair would suit anyone) but for me personally I would change literally nothing about it. It completely saved my back to the point where I have less back pain now at age 35 than I did at age 25 (I've used an Embody for about a decade). In fact my back pain is essentially gone, YMMV on that though.

Please treat your back right. That doesn't mean yall need to buy a 4 figure chair, but just think about the amortized cost of a chair like this over the 10-15 years you will use it. If you can swing it I highly recommend buying a top tier chair if you work from home especially, even if it's not an Embody specifically.

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 10, 2021

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Taima posted:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15209302-herman-miller-logitech-embody-15-off-1355-75-ac?src=jfy%7Crecombee%7C319dfa00deef7ecc503ed2690c2118d4

I know it's expensive but I am a huge, huge proponent of the Embody chair. It's not for everyone (no one chair would suit anyone) but for me personally I would change literally nothing about it. It completely saved my back to the point where I have less back pain now at age 35 than I did at age 25 (I've used an Embody for about a decade). In fact my back pain is essentially gone, YMMV on that though.

Please treat your back right. That doesn't mean yall need to buy a 4 figure chair, but just think about the amortized cost of a chair like this over the 10-15 years you will use it. If you can swing it I highly recommend buying a top tier chair if you work from home especially, even if it's not an Embody specifically.
What's the seat cushion like on this chair? I currently have a Leap that I've replaced the cushion on once, and the replacement cushion is starting to flatten out too. I'm wondering if I should switch to a chair that doesn't use a padded cushion that will wear out over time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It doesn’t use cushions really it has this kind of… uh… like a latticework plastic/rubber kinda thing.

I personally think its extraordinarily comfortable, and since its not a classic-style cushion its not really suseptible to wearing out or becoming less cushy. At least I haven’t noticed anything like that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Wierd that they'd put the gaming version on sale but not the normal version. The difference is a logitech logo.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Mega Comrade posted:

Wierd that they'd put the gaming version on sale but not the normal version. The difference is a logitech logo.

It’s been pre-scented with farts and Monster energy drink.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Taima posted:

I’ve always been interested in the chair but the lack of armrest adjustments for the price you pay has always stopped me from trying it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks

My old chair broke and I panic bought a lovely gaming chair off of amazon and now regret it. I've tried looking around at office liquidators and because everyone is WFH now, a 15 year old Aeron costs $900.

Is the Staples Kyken still considered a decent chair? This is the specific one I'm looking at: https://www.staples.ca/products/990119-en-staples-hyken-technical-mesh-task-chair-black

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mega Comrade posted:

Perhaps it didn't sell.

Raibead
May 8, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Perhaps it didn't sell.

I remember seeing Xbox One consoles that were limited edition with an included game (Fallout 76) selling for under the base console price for a while. The branding / game were valued at -$20 in a sense. I would not be shocked if that is the case here.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I usually huddle up with my legs on the chair especially during winter, is there a chair that cater to that awful sitting posture?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Ffycchi posted:

Get an ikea standing desk motor and some of the IKEA countertops.

A lot of the ikea countertops are particle board, would that break easily if i put a monitor mount on it?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

RoboBoogie posted:

A lot of the ikea countertops are particle board, would that break easily if i put a monitor mount on it?

yes, but i just use a small wood cutting board to support the mount

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I was gifted one of those gaming/racing chairs.

I do not understand the appeal. Everything about this is ugh. I am like a shorter then average adult male and the still chair digs into my shoulders and the stupid rear end wings on the seat itself mean you can't really spread your legs, locking you into one specific position forever

my lovely generic office chair with no head support that's like ten years old was better

why are these a thing

I do need to get a new chair admittedly.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nyaa posted:

I usually huddle up with my legs on the chair especially during winter, is there a chair that cater to that awful sitting posture?

lol I slouch so far in my old chair, I get my back support from my seat!

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Tried out a Humanscale Freedom. While I really liked the reclining ergonomics, the bottom of the headrest dug into my shoulders in most seating positions. Also, the seatpan was too small to comfortably accommodate sitting cross legged, or other creative seating positions.

I think that this video created by the New York Times has convinced me to go with a Gesture. It seems like a perfect match for the fidgeting I do and all the different scrunched up positions I cycle through during a day of sitting.

Unfortunately the local showroom with Steelcase products doesn't seem to be open to the general public anymore, which I found out after driving 20 miles through traffic to it this afternoon. I guess at this point I may as well order a Gesture from Crandall, hope for the best, and use their generous return policy if needed.

In a perfect world I'd get something with a higher back, so that I can push my head back into something soft when I recline, but the headrests I'm seeing on most chairs look far too obtrusive for my needs. Most headrests seem designed for constant neck support, which is something I don't need.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

RoboBoogie posted:

No. It's exactly what I use.

MustardFacial posted:

My old chair broke and I panic bought a lovely gaming chair off of amazon and now regret it. I've tried looking around at office liquidators and because everyone is WFH now, a 15 year old Aeron costs $900.

Is the Staples Kyken still considered a decent chair? This is the specific one I'm looking at: https://www.staples.ca/products/990119-en-staples-hyken-technical-mesh-task-chair-black

Did people already forget about my effort post a few pages back?

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 16, 2021

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I had an IKEA table top. I mounted a dual articulating arm on, with two 27” monitors and it broke the board. I did have a small wood block for support too but maybe it wasn’t big enough. Ended up finding a solid wood top on Craigslist.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

I had an IKEA table top. I mounted a dual articulating arm on, with two 27” monitors and it broke the board. I did have a small wood block for support too but maybe it wasn’t big enough. Ended up finding a solid wood top on Craigslist.

This is a **counter** top. Get the counter tops. Not the table tops.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ffycchi posted:

Fame is fleeting. Plus most people don't follow the chair thread, they just come here when they have a problem. Maybe check the op and the last page and then post.

Considering that the op hasn't been updated in 10 years it might be time for a new thread with a useful first post.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Fame is fleeting. Plus most people don't follow the chair thread, they just come here when they have a problem. Maybe check the op and the last page and then post.

Considering that the op hasn't been updated in 10 years it might be time for a new thread with a useful first post.

True I just have never nixed a thread here. If a mod wants to pm me I'll go ahead and make a new thread after this one is gassed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Ffycchi posted:

This is a **counter** top. Get the counter tops. Not the table tops.

Particularly, I've seen a lot of people using the Karlby countertop as a desk surface, saying it's quite sturdy. It's 1.5 inches thick, and Ikea claims it has a "thick walnut veneer" with a particle board core. I don't know how thick that veneer is, but no matter what it's bound to be way more durable than many of their thin, crappy tabletops. The Bekant in particular is only 5/8th of an inch thick. That's flimsy as hell.

For what it's worth, my current lovely desk that I picked up from office depot 10 years ago for like $60 is similarly flimsy, and I have two monitors. I get away with it by virtue of the desk being small as hell, and the monitors are sitting directly above the desk legs. If you have a lovely desk, what I would do is mount the arms as far away from the center as possible so as to split the weight. This will also distribute the weight more directly to the legs rather than making the lovely desk surface bear most of it. I'm positive this desk of mine would collapse if I did a dual-monitor arm thing mounted in the middle. You can also always add a support leg in the back middle, at which point even Ikea's flimsier tabletops would likely be fine as long as you are spreading your weight distribution evenly. I'd still go with their thick countertops. Those things seem solid, just don't do anything dumb like putting a ton of weight in an unsupported middle portion or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 16, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Particularly, I've seen a lot of people using the Karlby countertop as a desk surface, saying it's quite sturdy. It's 1.5 inches thick, and Ikea claims it has a "thick walnut veneer" with a particle board core. I don't know how thick that veneer is, but no matter what it's bound to be way more durable than many of their thin, crappy tabletops. The Bekant in particular is only 5/8th of an inch thick. That's flimsy as hell.

For what it's worth, my current lovely desk that I picked up from office depot 10 years ago for like $60 is similarly flimsy, and I have two monitors. I get away with it by virtue of the desk being small as hell, and the monitors are sitting directly above the desk legs. If you have a lovely desk, what I would do is mount the arms as far away from the center as possible so as to split the weight. This will also distribute the weight more directly to the legs rather than making the lovely desk surface bear most of it. I'm positive this desk of mine would collapse if I did a dual-monitor arm thing mounted in the middle. You can also always add a support leg in the back middle, at which point even Ikea's flimsier tabletops would likely be fine as long as you are spreading your weight distribution evenly. I'd still go with their thick countertops. Those things seem solid, just don't do anything dumb like putting a ton of weight in an unsupported middle portion or something.

Get an adjustable width standing desk frame. Throw a karlby or other ikea half counter top.

For another grab an alyx for one side for drawers, grab 3 Jotunheim table legs. 2 on far side one on back of desk.

It's literally what I did. Looks great and is super sturdy. I did it for both.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ffycchi posted:

True I just have never nixed a thread here. If a mod wants to pm me I'll go ahead and make a new thread after this one is gassed.

:justpost:

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Alright I'll do it when I get home. Any recommendations for thread titles? It'll probably be up a while.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
chair force: hyken up your feet to relax

speaking of; any 3rd-party/whatev standouts to replace the hyken chair's headrest? I did the mod to flip it so it's not digging into my shoulders, but now it's kind of digging into my spine. not enough to truly be discomfortable but if there's some alternatives I might look into it

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sorry guys got really busy. Will make it today.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks

Ffycchi posted:

Your effort post is why I started looking at the hyken in the first place!

Anyways, the consensus seem to be that if you're under 6' tall then the Hyken is generally a good fit and if you're over then it's the Dexley. I got the Hyken and so far it's really comfortable. Time will tell how well it holds up but the chair itself has 7 year warranty on parts and I bought the 1 year from staples so I could conceivably just break it and return it every year.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 20, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

Your effort post is why I started looking at the hyken in the first place!

Anyways, the consensus seem to be that if you're under 6' tall then the Hyken is generally a good fit and if you're over then it's the Dexley. I got the Hyken and so far it's really comfortable. Time will tell how well it holds up but the chair itself has 7 year warranty on parts and I bought the 1 year from staples so I could conceivably just break it and return it every year.

The dexley? I'll need to look into that chair. Also sorry about not creating it again, dealing with cancer things.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Holy poo poo, I bought a Hyken for $150 six months ago and now it's $300? Have the prices of Steelcase and HM chairs doubled since February too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I stopped by the office for the first time in ages and noticed that there are a few HM chairs among the standard Steelcase Please models. I'm now sitting on one and my butt and back seem to agree with it even more than the Think V2 I got.

HM stuff is pretty hard to come by here but I'll try to keep an eye on them. Can anyone tell if this is a Mirra? I don't know what's up with the not just labeling chairs with the c!ear name.