Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its so bad that I often weigh my freedom, healthcare & exponentially lower probability of being gunned down in Canada against retail pricing and availability I'd have if I were in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks! I needed a list of recommendations, and I wasn’t sure if the OP was up to date, so thanks for posting that list

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Along with Herman Miller and steelcase, I’d take a look at Haworth chairs if you have a place nearby that sells them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I really appreciate the list. I got the 'if you're on a budget stop looking and get this' chair. I stopped looking and got it. Put it together (sans arm rests, I hate arm rests) in about ten minutes. It's got a great seat and the back rest is a balm on my back, which was a problem in my last chair. Very adjustable, large seat. Two thumbs up!
'Alera Elusion Series'

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you decide to go upper end and go with Human Scale, you can literally google "human scale discount codes" and save hundreds of dollars.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ffycchi, do you have a model number for the Alera Elusion you like? The Amazon link leads to lots of dealers who are falsely selling damaged secondhand chair as new, and I'd like to look elsewhere.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Buying poo poo from Amazon has gotten to be really unpleasant for a lot of categories, there is just so much outright fraud going on. Like if you complain that you received a fraudulent item they'll give you an RMA to send it back but they won't punish the offender, or if they try to the offending company just dissolves and reappears under a different name. Not sure there's any good solution to that but it means the only really reliable way to get a genuine item in actually new condition is to buy it direct from the manufacturer, at significantly higher cost and often with long shipping delays.

21st Century Problems™

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
This post is probably just a shot in the dark but does anyone happen to have any advice or experience with getting an Allstate (or any insurance company I guess) to reconsider a denied claim for a chair? I bought an Alera Elusion and while putting it together it slipped from the surface I had it on and the backrest lever snapped off in the fall. If it was any of the other levers I probably could live with it but with this one I can't lock the backrest so it doesn't actually do any good as a desk chair. In retrospect mentioning that the accident happened during assembly was probably the magic phrase for them to deny real quick. I dunno if calling would do any good or if there's any other magic phrases to avoid or include. Dealing with insurance feels like going to court without a lawyer sometimes :(

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I think admitting fault is definitely going to get a claim denied. In the future, don’t do that and just say it arrived like that.

E. Also, if Allstate is like any other call in center, they most likely have made a note in your file that you admitted it was your fault, so you are probably out of luck on this one, imo

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Buying poo poo from Amazon has gotten to be really unpleasant for a lot of categories, there is just so much outright fraud going on. Like if you complain that you received a fraudulent item they'll give you an RMA to send it back but they won't punish the offender, or if they try to the offending company just dissolves and reappears under a different name. Not sure there's any good solution to that but it means the only really reliable way to get a genuine item in actually new condition is to buy it direct from the manufacturer, at significantly higher cost and often with long shipping delays.

21st Century Problems™

It's almost as though you've stumbled upon the manifesto for how to achieve wealth as a business in modern times

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Are there any quality options left for a plus-size goon who's too big for a HM Aeron C and has started to hate her Leap Plus? I'd love to get something high-backed, if possible, but a quality mid-back chair would probably be better than succumbing to the lure of the gamer chair.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Max Peck posted:

Are there any quality options left for a plus-size goon who's too big for a HM Aeron C and has started to hate her Leap Plus? I'd love to get something high-backed, if possible, but a quality mid-back chair would probably be better than succumbing to the lure of the gamer chair.

What is it about the Aeron C that wasn't doing it for you anymore? The seat pan frame?

As for the Leap, well . . . I had one at an office for 3 years, and I don't have anything really great to say about it. Nothing bad, either. "It was a chair, I have sat in worse."

If you don't mind my asking - you say you want a high-backed chair. Are you looking for a headrest/head support? Upper back support?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Zarin posted:

What is it about the Aeron C that wasn't doing it for you anymore? The seat pan frame?

As for the Leap, well . . . I had one at an office for 3 years, and I don't have anything really great to say about it. Nothing bad, either. "It was a chair, I have sat in worse."

If you don't mind my asking - you say you want a high-backed chair. Are you looking for a headrest/head support? Upper back support?

Sorry, to be clear, I weigh more than the Aeron C is rated for (and crossing that 350 lb line knocks out a lot of the cheaper options as well); otherwise I'd be headed straight to my local authorized dealer to figure out if it was right for me.

And, yeah, that's pretty much it with the Leap--it's a chair. It was tolerable when I was only working from home 2 days per week and had a vague facsimile of a social life that occasionally required going places; it has not held up to my rear end being in the chair nearly every waking hour.

Upper back support is the concern. A headrest might be neat and I'd consider trying it out if it were available, but I figure it's more likely than not just one more thing to be positioned wrong.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Max Peck posted:

Sorry, to be clear, I weigh more than the Aeron C is rated for (and crossing that 350 lb line knocks out a lot of the cheaper options as well); otherwise I'd be headed straight to my local authorized dealer to figure out if it was right for me.

And, yeah, that's pretty much it with the Leap--it's a chair. It was tolerable when I was only working from home 2 days per week and had a vague facsimile of a social life that occasionally required going places; it has not held up to my rear end being in the chair nearly every waking hour.

Upper back support is the concern. A headrest might be neat and I'd consider trying it out if it were available, but I figure it's more likely than not just one more thing to be positioned wrong.

Okay, that helps a bit!

I'm not looking for an answer or to pry here, but my take on these weight limits are that they are likely similar to any other sort of engineered product, in that there's a safety factor involved. So, like, if you're 355, it's probably fine if you're gentle with it and don't plop in it, etc. And even at more than that, it probably won't collapse - things just might wear out faster.

Of course, I'm not looking to suggest you do anything unsafe here, either.

So, that being said, I'll try and be useful! I have a Cosm - unfortunately, I believe it also maxes out at 350 lbs. The upper-back support on it is fantastic, though.

I've never purchased anything from BTOD, but I found their YouTube videos to be super helpful. It appears that the stuff they have for 24/7 use cases starts at 400 lbs and goes up from there:
https://www.btod.com/24-hour-chair.php They also have a Big and Tall section.

When I was looking for something with a headrest, I was strongly intrigued by the Concept Seating 3142 and 3150; they seemed like they were overbuilt as all hell, and looked like they might be extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, I wanted to try sitting in whatever I purchased before I got it (even though it seems like they have a generous return policy) so I didn't go with it. I think those chairs were available to just be shipped to my door and assembled.

I don't know what your budget is, but I have to imagine that something built for extended/prolonged use is going to end up being a better value in the long run than any sort of gaming chair.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 3, 2022

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Zarin posted:

Okay, that helps a bit!

I'm not looking for an answer or to pry here, but my take on these weight limits are that they are likely similar to any other sort of engineered product, in that there's a safety factor involved. So, like, if you're 355, it's probably fine if you're gentle with it and don't plop in it, etc. And even at more than that, it probably won't collapse - things just might wear out faster.

Of course, I'm not looking to suggest you do anything unsafe here, either.

So, that being said, I'll try and be useful! I have a Cosm - unfortunately, I believe it also maxes out at 350 lbs. The upper-back support on it is fantastic, though.

I've never purchased anything from BTOD, but I found their YouTube videos to be super helpful. It appears that the stuff they have for 24/7 use cases starts at 400 lbs and goes up from there:
https://www.btod.com/24-hour-chair.php They also have a Big and Tall section.

When I was looking for something with a headrest, I was strongly intrigued by the Concept Seating 3142 and 3150; they seemed like they were overbuilt as all hell, and looked like they might be extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, I wanted to try sitting in whatever I purchased before I got it (even though it seems like they have a generous return policy) so I didn't go with it. I think those chairs were available to just be shipped to my door and assembled.

I don't know what your budget is, but I have to imagine that something built for extended/prolonged use is going to end up being a better value in the long run than any sort of gaming chair.

I hear you on the safety margin, but the flip side is if I'm spending that much on a chair it would be nice to stay within warranty. Maybe something to keep in mind if I manage to track down a refurb locally, though.

Those Concept Seating chairs are definitely interesting; I might drop them a line to see if there's any local way to try them out. I'm right on the edge of what they list height-wise (to stop you from having to tease out further details: 6'5", 370 lbs), so the headrest is still a mild concern.

Budget is not a significant concern, though. Obviously value for what I'm paying still is, but spending money on a good chair now is cheaper than spending money on my back later.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Max Peck posted:

I hear you on the safety margin, but the flip side is if I'm spending that much on a chair it would be nice to stay within warranty. Maybe something to keep in mind if I manage to track down a refurb locally, though.

Those Concept Seating chairs are definitely interesting; I might drop them a line to see if there's any local way to try them out. I'm right on the edge of what they list height-wise (to stop you from having to tease out further details: 6'5", 370 lbs), so the headrest is still a mild concern.

Budget is not a significant concern, though. Obviously value for what I'm paying still is, but spending money on a good chair now is cheaper than spending money on my back later.

Oh, yeah, I think height is probably going to be the greatest struggle for a comfortable chair then haha. I'll see if I can't dig up some of the places/chairs I was researching back when I was spending hours a day over-thinking potential purchases.

Edit: This video of theirs goes over a bit about what to maybe look for, spec-wise. I figure you probably know most of this already, having lived it, but the information they have on standard back height and stuff might be useful when trying to determine if something you're looking at is actually taller (and by how much) than a standard product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GN6dWtd51o

This chair claims it's good for people up to 7' tall; I don't like the lack of lumbar support options though. Also the idea of memory foam scares me (I would personally get way too hot):
https://www.btod.com/NP-BTC101XX.php#tab-2

Looks like the Concept 3142 claims to be good for up to 6'5" though:
https://www.btod.com/CS-3142.php

Same with the 3150:
https://www.btod.com/CS-3150HR.php

I know I'm linking to BTOD, but that's just because I like how they have stuff organized. When I was almost ready to purchase a Concept, I think I was looking at buying directly from them through Amazon or something, and I recall there being a return window. I can't remember if I was going to have to pay shipping or not, though.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 3, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ok, close to pulling the trigger on a used Aeron from a local reseller. Anything to watch out for? I assume the armrests, piston etc. will be replaced with refurb parts like most resellers.

https://www.officefurniturecenter.com/st147b.html

I decided to go local vs. trusting Madison Seating. Plus, Madison Seating's return policy is not good (buyer responsible for return shipping, 30% 'restock fee') and I feel like the local place will work with me if it falls apart.

700 bucks plus tax and delivery for this thing god drat. Should I really not jump to new and pay 1200-1300 (post my company's 25% corporate discount)? It's kind of a tough call.

e: Zarin you're in Chicago if you have a spare Aeron let me know :)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 4, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I feel like I see aerons on Facebook Marketplace for much less than that on a fairly regular basis

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yeah, though you’ve got to do any refurbishing yourself. That said I paid a fair bit less then that from a local place for the “remastered” version of the aeron last year, just needed a good cleaning.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Inner Light posted:

Ok, close to pulling the trigger on a used Aeron from a local reseller. Anything to watch out for? I assume the armrests, piston etc. will be replaced with refurb parts like most resellers.

https://www.officefurniturecenter.com/st147b.html

I decided to go local vs. trusting Madison Seating. Plus, Madison Seating's return policy is not good (buyer responsible for return shipping, 30% 'restock fee') and I feel like the local place will work with me if it falls apart.

700 bucks plus tax and delivery for this thing god drat. Should I really not jump to new and pay 1200-1300 (post my company's 25% corporate discount)? It's kind of a tough call.

e: Zarin you're in Chicago if you have a spare Aeron let me know :)

Haha, the only Aeron I have access to at the moment is the one my wife is sitting in, I doubt she'd appreciate that :v:

That being said, I want to say that I bought that one (new) from an authorized dealer for $800-ish; that's after a "company discount" (I'm not sure I actually got a company discount) and then whatever discount you get off of MSRP by using an authorized dealer (this is kinda tongue-in-cheek because I feel like MSRP values in this space - as in most B2B pricing - are fake moon numbers and the number from the dealer is the "actual" price).

Granted, that was 2016 pricing. Still, that does seem a bit high for a used chair. When you say you have a 25% discount, is that just you knocking that off of MSRP? Or is that after you've talked to an Authorized Dealer about what they can get you the chair for?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

blugu64 posted:

Yeah, though you’ve got to do any refurbishing yourself. That said I paid a fair bit less then that from a local place for the “remastered” version of the aeron last year, just needed a good cleaning.
Sure, but it's a chair, not a TV or computer, and a durable one at that. You can check the chair first yourself to see if anything is broken.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zarin posted:

Haha, the only Aeron I have access to at the moment is the one my wife is sitting in, I doubt she'd appreciate that :v:

That being said, I want to say that I bought that one (new) from an authorized dealer for $800-ish; that's after a "company discount" (I'm not sure I actually got a company discount) and then whatever discount you get off of MSRP by using an authorized dealer (this is kinda tongue-in-cheek because I feel like MSRP values in this space - as in most B2B pricing - are fake moon numbers and the number from the dealer is the "actual" price).

Granted, that was 2016 pricing. Still, that does seem a bit high for a used chair. When you say you have a 25% discount, is that just you knocking that off of MSRP? Or is that after you've talked to an Authorized Dealer about what they can get you the chair for?

I talked to Design Within Reach and they said their pricing will be identical to the HM Aeron website. So, I am not seeing any dealer pricing that is less than MSRP. The post discount price is knocked off of MSRP, yes.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Sure, but it's a chair, not a TV or computer, and a durable one at that. You can check the chair first yourself to see if anything is broken.

Yeah sorry I meant more that $700 does seem a fair bit on the high side then refurbishing them is a huge undertaking.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My local furniture liquidator sells Aerons for 399, but they don't refurbish them at all. They're sold as-is, and while they're all functional, they do have scratches, and other usage marks on them.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I cut a hole in my Aeron so I could poop ergonomically

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a mesh seat, just push harder

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

It's a mesh seat, just push harder
I said ergonomically! Too much lower back strain. I need it to just slide out.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Hello chair thread

I am 5'9 and 185lbs as google tells me after converting from 175cm and 84kg. There is nowhere I can go and sit in a chair here so I could use some recommendations.
I found a Herman Miller Mirra for 500usd, a classic aeron for 700 and a new mirra 2 with 12 year warranty for 1050.

The used chairs look pretty good, so I am leaning for one of them, unless upgrade to mirra 2 and a full warranty is something worth 550 bucks which I doubt but maybe?

If you are interested the chairs are below, it's in polish but the pictures are what matters I think.

Classic Aeron
Mirra

porkinson fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 5, 2022

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I'm looking at getting a Steelcase Leap, because I do not like mesh in chairs and the armrests look like they'll move all the way out of the way, but the seat height looks absurdly low to me. 15.5-20.5" inches seems like they are targeting women or something. My current chair is set to almost it's lowest setting (about 21") and my feet are flat on the floor and my knees are at about 90-degrees. I am 5'11" and very average. Maybe they are measuring something different? On page 100 someone was talking about setting the chair to maximum height (on the larger casters) to reach their desk, but that isn't a problem for me as my keyboard sits on my lap. I'm worried about my knees being at a very acute angle, or having to buy a new desk simply because the chair will be so low.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MickeyFinn posted:

I'm looking at getting a Steelcase Leap, because I do not like mesh in chairs and the armrests look like they'll move all the way out of the way, but the seat height looks absurdly low to me. 15.5-20.5" inches seems like they are targeting women or something. My current chair is set to almost it's lowest setting (about 21") and my feet are flat on the floor and my knees are at about 90-degrees. I am 5'11" and very average. Maybe they are measuring something different? On page 100 someone was talking about setting the chair to maximum height (on the larger casters) to reach their desk, but that isn't a problem for me as my keyboard sits on my lap. I'm worried about my knees being at a very acute angle, or having to buy a new desk simply because the chair will be so low.

21 inches is the industry standard for max seat height on standard desk chairs. Every big-name chair seems to top out at or around that number. 21 inches being the lowest setting on your chair makes it sound like it's a stool-type chair or something. And as a fellow 5'11 person, I can tell you that when my seat is positioned that high, I have to angle my legs down a decent bit in order to plant my feet firmly on the ground. So I think there's something odd about the way you're measuring, if anything. I think you're just supposed to measure from the floor to the top of the seat pan.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Is anyone here using a HM Celle?

I've posted about the Think V2 and while it's a great chair in terms of quality and adjustability, it just doesn't agree with my body as well as the Mirra we had at the office. I can't find a Mirra anywhere right now, but there's a store that sells refurbished Celles like this

I'd need to sell the Think and then throw in another hundred something bucks but if it's actually better it might be worth it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've sat on a Celle and it was alright, but I think the chair falls into the category of "chair that companies can buy to say they have Herman Miller chairs" without being that good in terms of value. The Mirra 2, Aeron and Embody are the premium ones really.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I've sat on a Celle and it was alright, but I think the chair falls into the category of "chair that companies can buy to say they have Herman Miller chairs" without being that good in terms of value. The Mirra 2, Aeron and Embody are the premium ones really.
Oof that's good to know, thanks! At least I won't have to worry about this upgrade :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I bought the Celle over the Aeron when I went to the office furniture liquidation place. I sat in it and knew it was the one for me.

Mine has a normal seat with the cell back.

I love the thing. I hate the Aeron. I’m a stocky goon though and don’t like the seat on the Aeron at all.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

21 inches is the industry standard for max seat height on standard desk chairs. Every big-name chair seems to top out at or around that number. 21 inches being the lowest setting on your chair makes it sound like it's a stool-type chair or something. And as a fellow 5'11 person, I can tell you that when my seat is positioned that high, I have to angle my legs down a decent bit in order to plant my feet firmly on the ground. So I think there's something odd about the way you're measuring, if anything. I think you're just supposed to measure from the floor to the top of the seat pan.

Yeah, ok, I suspect you are right in that I’m doing something strange. I’m going to test drive a Leap for a week and see what happens. I’ve been sitting in terrible chairs my whole life, so it’s time to jump in.

I found one with everything I wanted but the frame color in a Grade A Factory Return from Crandall. Here’s hoping!

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Just scooped a brand new, tag still on it,

SitOnIt Amplify Chair...

Can't tell you the price or it'll make you think twice. So far it's a life changer. I'll keep you apprised.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I did some digging and my work actually gives a discount on Steelcase chairs.

I’m thinking about getting a Steelcase Gesture chair with a headrest. Anyone sat in one of those, and if so how was the headrest?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

B-Mac posted:

Along with Herman Miller and steelcase, I’d take a look at Haworth chairs if you have a place nearby that sells them.

I have used two Haworth chairs (extras from an office order) and they're both falling apart after a few years. One has pieces of the wheels breaking off, a screw in some part of the seat support snapped off cleanly, and a plastic insert supporting the seat on the gas lift dropped straight out. The model is some inscrutable long string so I imagine it's a commercial chair for bulk orders and I'm not even sure how I could get them serviced, assuming they have a lifetime warranty.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I did some digging and my work actually gives a discount on Steelcase chairs.

I’m thinking about getting a Steelcase Gesture chair with a headrest. Anyone sat in one of those, and if so how was the headrest?

I'm on team Not The Gesture, but that's primarily because I prefer seats where the seat pan tilts down/back when you lean back. Instead, because the seat pan stays almost flat, it kinda felt like it was subtly trying to slide me off the front of the chair, even/especially when I had it locked in the upright position.

Which is too bad, because overall, liked the rest of the chair. The tilt options were good, and the amount of mobility on the arms was nice. I'm sure it would have been even better with a headrest, but that was not part of the package that was purchased when that building was updated :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've only had one since november but it's good so far. If you get a gesture don't get the optional lumbar piece, it makes the back too stiff.