Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Nohearum posted:

Been considering a new chair and sat in an Embody tonight. I wanted to like it but I feel like it was pushing my upper body forward. It almost felt like I had the forward tilt mode engaged from an Aeron or something. Is this to be expected?

I'm not very well-versed in the Embody, but my experience when sitting in one was that the back didn't have any resistance at all; just felt like it folded under me.

That is to say, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of adjustments that are able to be done to the back to set it to your liking.

Disclaimer: I never had time to monkey with it or even try to get the settings to my liking so I have no idea what it's capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nohearum posted:

Been considering a new chair and sat in an Embody tonight. I wanted to like it but I feel like it was pushing my upper body forward. It almost felt like I had the forward tilt mode engaged from an Aeron or something. Is this to be expected?

It does put you in an upright position with the back support, but mine doesn't feel forward tilted at all. It's one of the big reasons I didn't like the aeron.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Nohearum posted:

The following are adjustable on the Embody:

Tilt resistance
Width of arms
Height of arms
Length of seat (it literally rolls up to be shorter)
Lumbar support
Height

I would guess that the tilt resistance was too stiff for your taste; if you get the resistance right, it’ll be where you like it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ffycchi posted:

Ffycchi's Offical Sit your rear end down in a new chair post

10 year tier:
See previous answer

Alera Elusion Series(comes in mid back and high back, It comes in black and white as well.)
Price: $150-300
https://www.amazon.com/Alera-ALEEL42ME10B-Elusion-Mid-Back-Multifunction/dp/B003G4OJK4/
Do not get the series II, I repeat DO NOT GET THE SERIES II, it basically takes away all the ergonomic adjustment that makes this good.

If you're on a budget stop looking. As I've stated in many previous posts, no you won't get "SUPREME SPACE AGE MATERIALS" or a great warranty...It's a chair. Dare I say a good chair. Get a pair of 20$ memory foam armrest covers(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8F9IYC/ if you're too lazy to do the research yourself.) And its a chair that will last you a good amount of time in a good amount of comfort.

One of the big benefits of this chair is its adjustment, My 5'1" 100 pound wife can fit on it. My 6'1" 200 Pound arse can sit on it. My 6'7" 300 pound friend can sit on it(though not recommended? if youre that size id really recommend getting a HM/SC...or a gym membership....You're hitting the edge of what you can do with physics chairs at this point mate.)

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

What is the difference between the ALEEL42ME10B that you've linked here, and the ALEEL41ME10B? Aside from $120.70

42: https://www.staples.com/Alera-EL42BME10B-Elusion-Fabric-Mid-Back-Executive-Chair-with-Adjustable-Arms-Black/product_ALEEL42BME10B

41: https://www.staples.com/alera-elusion-series-mesh-back-fabric-computer-and-desk-chair-black-aleel41me10b/product_674099

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I'm a big fan of my Embody.

Just a heads up for people. The point of all of the high end ($1k+ chairs) is not to be the most comfortable thing in the world when you first sit down. You're supposed to dial in all the adjustability settings and then not be sore after sitting in it for 8+ hours a day.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
My used aeron seat broke after many years. Looking around (uk) there seems to be a huge shortage of spare parts. Is this the same all over? Am I not looking in the right places on the internet?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Jippa posted:

My used aeron seat broke after many years. Looking around (uk) there seems to be a huge shortage of spare parts. Is this the same all over? Am I not looking in the right places on the internet?

I ordered parts last year without issue. US though.

Curious what your strategy for looking is - are you looking for supply houses and checking with them? Or do you have the HM Part Number in hand and just Googling that part number and maybe "Aeron" tacked on at the beginning or end?

If the latter, are you looking at the sketchy websites that look like the Corporate equivalent of a Geocities page? iirc that's where I ended up landing. This may be different if the part you need is, like, the seat pan instead of hip bolts or something.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ffycchi posted:

Staples Hyken Task Chair
Price: $120-230(sales depending)
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

Disclaimer: I have not used this chair, it has been added due to enough comments on comfort and reliability to be tiered. Please ask others for review.

10 year tier:
See previous answer

Alera Elusion Series(comes in mid back and high back, It comes in black and white as well.)
Price: $150-300
https://www.amazon.com/Alera-ALEEL42ME10B-Elusion-Mid-Back-Multifunction/dp/B003G4OJK4/
Do not get the series II, I repeat DO NOT GET THE SERIES II, it basically takes away all the ergonomic adjustment that makes this good.

If you're on a budget stop looking. As I've stated in many previous posts, no you won't get "SUPREME SPACE AGE MATERIALS" or a great warranty...It's a chair. Dare I say a good chair. Get a pair of 20$ memory foam armrest covers(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8F9IYC/ if you're too lazy to do the research yourself.) And its a chair that will last you a good amount of time in a good amount of comfort.

One of the big benefits of this chair is its adjustment, My 5'1" 100 pound wife can fit on it. My 6'1" 200 Pound arse can sit on it. My 6'7" 300 pound friend can sit on it(though not recommended? if youre that size id really recommend getting a HM/SC...or a gym membership....You're hitting the edge of what you can do with physics chairs at this point mate.)

I'd like an Elusion, but I want it to have a headrest. Should I just get a Hyken?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'd really appreciate some advice. I finally managed to get a decently priced replacement seat. I watched some videos.

It's obviously a very simple process with a new chair as shown in the first video. The bolts on my chair are almost impossible to move just with the allen key.

Which route would you recommend? In the comments section some people say to get a pipe to put round the allen key to get more leverage.

In the second video what tool is he initially using to to loosen the bolt? Is that useful for an old chair like mine? Usually while doing this sort of thing I would just think "use more force" but it has taken ages for me to get the replacement parts and I'm scared of breaking them?

Would some sort of lube/spray/wd40 help or not relevant?

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T1aNU9Uxig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzWPKY1zK8c

Jippa fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 6, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you have a small pipe you could just use it for more leverage. In the second video he uses a ratchet (like https://www.amazon.com/DURATECH-90-Tooth-Quick-release-Ratchet-Handle/dp/B094FJ7LS3) with an allen bit in some sort of adapter. Then what looks like an impact driver.

I think you should be fine just using more force, just make sure the allen key is fully inserted and doesn't round the screw. A ratchet or an impact would be even better if you have them. Usually the main problem with stuck bolts that break on cars for example is rust, this should be a big issue here.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks mobby.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I managed to get the bolts out. I have a really frustrating problem though.

The small metal tube that goes inside one end of the "j-bar" (the guy in the first video calls them this) that attaches to the seat pan is just slightly too big. It is at the top in the photos.

The j-bar bits snugly fit in the new chair without them in. I have tried for ages to force them but it just isn't happening.

I have double checked that I have bought the correct seat pan (it is a B).

What would these bits be called do you think so I could google them?

It's so frustrating because they must only be a mm or so too wide.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Assuming there are no wacky internal features that do not show up in the photos: "bushing" or possibly "bushing sleeve".

The more closely you can match the material and coating, the better. I'm not sure how important that might be in an office chair for long term durability, but it can't hurt.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Roumba posted:

Assuming there are no wacky internal features that do not show up in the photos: "bushing" or possibly "bushing sleeve".

The more closely you can match the material and coating, the better. I'm not sure how important that might be in an office chair for long term durability, but it can't hurt.

Thank you.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you've got a powered sander or angle grinder it won't take long to make it a smidge shorter. The coating is probably just black paint, I don't think a powder coat would show as much wear on the edges, but I'm no coatings expert.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Jippa posted:

I managed to get the bolts out. I have a really frustrating problem though.

The small metal tube that goes inside one end of the "j-bar" (the guy in the first video calls them this) that attaches to the seat pan is just slightly too big. It is at the top in the photos.

The j-bar bits snugly fit in the new chair without them in. I have tried for ages to force them but it just isn't happening.

I have double checked that I have bought the correct seat pan (it is a B).

What would these bits be called do you think so I could google them?

It's so frustrating because they must only be a mm or so too wide.

Is the bushing too long, or too big around? Typically bushings are inserted with a press; "interference fit" is the technical term.

Looking at the JBar though, I can't tell if it already has one in there. Presumably the bushing exists to protect the plastic frame from the frictional wear of the bolt; if there is already one in there, you may not need the bushings that came with. (I don't know if those bushings came out of the JBar and no longer fit, or if they came with the seat pan, or what the deal is precisely here so I might be off base here)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah it's too long which means I can't get it in here.

I emailed the guy I bought the seat off and he reckons they aren't that important but he sent me some spares he had anyway. So happy days. If I had more tools I would try sanding them or whatever because they definitely help protect the inside.

Thanks for all your advice in general everyone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What's the most indestructible chair in the sub $500 range?

I am certainly a big fat internet nerd, but my weight of 235-ish pounds is well within any chair's normal tolerance. The problem is, I like to slouch. I like to tuck one leg under myself. I like to lean all my weight on one side. I am a chair murderer. After snapping office chair after office chair that did the cheapo thing of attaching the seat and back to each other only through a shared connection to the plastic armrests, I got an Arozzi gaming chair, because it had lovely all metal construction, including the back attaching to the seat via two beefy metal rods that were welded directly to the seat.

And it's served valiantly. I've had it for four years, but it's been getting increasingly wobbly, and today after it entirely gave up the ghost and tipped over on me, I found at least one of the causes. In a truly astounding feat of how-the-gently caress-did-I-do-that mystery, one of the entirely metal and very sturdy chair legs has been twisted to a degree that it can no longer get the wheel into any sort of meaningful contact with the ground.

Pictured: Chair murder. That wheel should be entering the leg parallel to the floor, not at a 45 degree angle.

So... any recommendations for chairs you don't think even I could kill, or should I just accept that it had a good run and re-buy from Arozzi again? Because I know, I know, gaming chairs are awful, but honestly I quite liked this one, and when I look at something like this, I see the really thin metal connecting the seat to the back and it just looks like a break waiting to happen.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 11, 2022

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Thoughts head rests? I found a place selling used Steelcase chairs for $200-$300. I believe they were the amias and V1.

They felt very nice but none of them head rests. I’m wondering how useful they are for sitting 8+ hours a day.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

dew worm posted:

Thoughts head rests? I found a place selling used Steelcase chairs for $200-$300. I believe they were the amias and V1.

They felt very nice but none of them head rests. I’m wondering how useful they are for sitting 8+ hours a day.

I remember thinking that someone was legitimately insane when they said a headrest didn’t matter with the embody and they ended up being absolutely correct. No headrest is needed, whatever it is, there’s something about it that makes me sit in a way that my head doesn’t fall back in a way that I’d need one.

I’ve legit had back to back 16 hour computer touching work days in my chair with zero discomfort — I will Stan for this loving chair forever (and that’s not to justify the stupid amount of money that I spent on it, but because it’s honestly as comfortable at the end of the day as it was at the start).

To be clear: when you first sit in it, it’s just pretty good. Definitely not full price good. But the thing is, it’s consistently and unerringly good for endurance sitting. It’s also good if you’re a little taller (I’m 6’3” and having my feet flat on the ground in a natural position is still amazing to me) If you’re in your chair for full work days, I would incredibly strongly recommend this chair.

please tell Herman Miller to send my check soon, tia

im just happy I get to sit like a normie with no pain now ok

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

I am certainly a big fat internet nerd, but my weight of 235-ish pounds is well within any chair's normal tolerance. The problem is, I like to slouch. I like to tuck one leg under myself. I like to lean all my weight on one side. I am a chair murderer. After snapping office chair after office chair that did the cheapo thing of attaching the seat and back to each other only through a shared connection to the plastic armrests, I got an Arozzi gaming chair, because it had lovely all metal construction, including the back attaching to the seat via two beefy metal rods that were welded directly to the seat.

And it's served valiantly. I've had it for four years, but it's been getting increasingly wobbly, and today after it entirely gave up the ghost and tipped over on me, I found at least one of the causes. In a truly astounding feat of how-the-gently caress-did-I-do-that mystery, one of the entirely metal and very sturdy chair legs has been twisted to a degree that it can no longer get the wheel into any sort of meaningful contact with the ground.

Pictured: Chair murder. That wheel should be entering the leg parallel to the floor, not at a 45 degree angle.

So... any recommendations for chairs you don't think even I could kill, or should I just accept that it had a good run and re-buy from Arozzi again? Because I know, I know, gaming chairs are awful, but honestly I quite liked this one, and when I look at something like this, I see the really thin metal connecting the seat to the back and it just looks like a break waiting to happen.

I'd just look at the same B2B chairs that HM, Steelcase, Vitra. I'm half your weight so :shrug: but they're built to be robust and have solid warranty and replacement part availability.

dew worm posted:

It's not absolutely necessary I suppose but I'm glad I have it on my Think. Probably depend on the way you use and sit in it. When sitting mostly upright and typing, I generally don't rely on the headrest. But it can be nice to lean back and rest my head on it a little when reading or watching a video or something.

Not sure about those specific chairs but on the Think it's optional and something you can add later yourself, though mine came with it.

E: here it is. The height is adjustable and the headrest itself can be rotated to move the support closer or farther

mobby_6kl posted:

Well never mind, I went over to their warehouse and they had the Think that I got for like 250 thanks to a little imperfection in the fabric.

Even the arm rests slide around in XY, I don't think our office Please did that. I haven't tried it but Im pretty sure this feels better than sex.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 15, 2022

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

tehinternet posted:

I remember thinking that someone was legitimately insane when they said a headrest didn’t matter with the embody and they ended up being absolutely correct. No headrest is needed, whatever it is, there’s something about it that makes me sit in a way that my head doesn’t fall back in a way that I’d need one.

I’ve legit had back to back 16 hour computer touching work days in my chair with zero discomfort — I will Stan for this loving chair forever (and that’s not to justify the stupid amount of money that I spent on it, but because it’s honestly as comfortable at the end of the day as it was at the start).

To be clear: when you first sit in it, it’s just pretty good. Definitely not full price good. But the thing is, it’s consistently and unerringly good for endurance sitting. It’s also good if you’re a little taller (I’m 6’3” and having my feet flat on the ground in a natural position is still amazing to me) If you’re in your chair for full work days, I would incredibly strongly recommend this chair.

please tell Herman Miller to send my check soon, tia

im just happy I get to sit like a normie with no pain now ok

Thanks, the embody is out of my price range but I think I need a chair with a high back. My issue is foraged head posture.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

dew worm posted:

Thanks, the embody is out of my price range but I think I need a chair with a high back. My issue is foraged head posture.

Yeah, I hear you — the cost is a lot.

I’m just saying if you see a used one near the range you’re looking at, jump on it.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

CapnAndy posted:

I'm a 260 pound sloucher. Seriously, at your budget, look for a used higher-end office task chair like the Aeron, Mirra, Mirra 2, Leap, Freedom, etc. There's a reason they have a ridiculous MSRP, they're built like tanks. Don't do gaming chairs, I've never seen one that has shown the ability to be a long-lasting product.
*Posted while aggressively slouching in a used Mirra 2 I've had for almost 4 years now*

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

CapnAndy posted:

autojive posted:

I'm a 260 pound sloucher. Seriously, at your budget, look for a used higher-end office task chair like the Aeron, Mirra, Mirra 2, Leap, Freedom, etc. There's a reason they have a ridiculous MSRP, they're built like tanks. Don't do gaming chairs, I've never seen one that has shown the ability to be a long-lasting product.
*Posted while aggressively slouching in a used Mirra 2 I've had for almost 4 years now*

This tbh. The reason they come with 12-year warranties is because they're designed to be nigh-indestructible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

autojive posted:

Don't do gaming chairs

Should be the thread title really.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Eric the Mauve posted:

Should be the thread title really.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Maybe I missed this and this isn’t new but I saw an ad for Herman Miller Vantum:
https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming-chairs/vantum-gaming-chair/2546179.html?lang=en_US

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

xgalaxy posted:

Maybe I missed this and this isn’t new but I saw an ad for Herman Miller Vantum:
https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming-chairs/vantum-gaming-chair/2546179.html?lang=en_US

Hey cool, it's got Heelies on the sides.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

...Maybe do a gaming chair?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I got a second hand Herman Miller Aeron Classic for like 300$ months ago, best chair i've ever had.

I'd consider an Embody or a Remastered Aeron if this ever breaks.

What is pretty nice is that it seems Herman Millers are pretty repairable and parts are available, I'd have a hard time spending money on other chairs that have a busted strut after a year.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

I’ll believe that it’s for gamers when I see anti-slouching devices, stain resistance and a Cheeto proof finish. An odor eaters partnership wouldn’t hurt either tbh.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

tehinternet posted:

I remember thinking that someone was legitimately insane when they said a headrest didn’t matter with the embody and they ended up being absolutely correct.
you’re welcome

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Wife wants a cute gaming chair, is looking at the $500 Secretlab Titan EVO 2022 series in pink. She’s 5’6”.

I know next to nothing about chairs. As is usual with specialized topics I don’t know much about, I would like goons to tell me why this is a horrible chair and we should get a $1200 chair instead.

Jk but tell me what you would recommend.

E: budget $500 but preferably sub $400.

Cretin90 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 25, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I recommend you just let her buy whichever chair she's most attracted to, she will end up with a piece of poo poo no matter what you do.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anything marketed as "gaming" without being actual PC components or accessories like gamepads and headsets, is complete garbage. And even then..

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've heard the Razur Iskur is good for that price but it doesn't come in pink

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You can get a Leap in pink. Every gaming chair is bad.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just in case anyone else reading this with a similar question is paying attention, the correct answer in that price range (assuming you can't afford the $1200 for a chair that will last decades; the Vimes "Boots" Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness applies extremely hard to desk chairs) is probably the Alera Elusion.

The Amazon reviews on Alera products have been trending downhill the last year or so. As always with reviews it's impossible to tell if that's a genuine decline in build quality, the result of cheap counterfeiters getting involved, or sockpuppeting by competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

codo27 posted:

Anything marketed as "gaming" without being actual PC components or accessories like gamepads and headsets, is complete garbage. And even then..

Hey now, the Logitech gaming chair was a legitimate Embody!