Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmonger
Jan 26, 2004

This is a title.
I bought a Secretlab Titan. It's huge and comfortable. I can't complain.
I find it more comfortable than an Aeron. And I'm not that big, I just appreciate the adjustability, comfortable foam, lumbar, headrest... just all works well.
Yeah, it looks like poo poo. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Is there anyway to replace the seat cusion on the Steelcase Leap V1? I think mine is worn out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My posting station is an ergonomic nightmare without even taking the chair into consideration, but my current chair feels like I am sitting on one of these guys;

So I need to replace it. I have done a little poking around CL looking for used high-end chairs and have come to the conclusion that I don't sit enough to really want to spend even $300-400 on a used chair. While there are weeks where I am poopsocking with the best of them, but there are more weeks when I don't even sit for more time than it takes to drink a coffee and read my email. I think I wanna spend like $200 but I can go higher if the difference of $50 is going to be huge.

Is there a recommended chair in this range? Or can I just go to ikea and just pick whatever feels more comfortable in the moment?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

After a few attempts, I finally found a chair that seems to work pretty good for me: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/wbd-spring-2017-managers-chair/prod20931483.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

I'm sure someone will poo poo on it cause it ain't name brand, but it's got great lumbar support options which is what I wanted and it's pretty comfy otherwise.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've found you don't need "lumbar support", it's just most people's backs are too weak to support them so they use it as a crutch instead of strengthening their backs by sitting correctly. Some even cause more problems, like the whole "arch support" shoe craze in the 90s.

break free from the clutches of big lumbar

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

bongwizzard posted:

My posting station is an ergonomic nightmare without even taking the chair into consideration, but my current chair feels like I am sitting on one of these guys;

So I need to replace it. I have done a little poking around CL looking for used high-end chairs and have come to the conclusion that I don't sit enough to really want to spend even $300-400 on a used chair. While there are weeks where I am poopsocking with the best of them, but there are more weeks when I don't even sit for more time than it takes to drink a coffee and read my email. I think I wanna spend like $200 but I can go higher if the difference of $50 is going to be huge.

Is there a recommended chair in this range? Or can I just go to ikea and just pick whatever feels more comfortable in the moment?

The Ikea Markus is generally recommended in that price range, but make sure to try before you buy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Ikea Markus is generally recommended in that price range, but make sure to try before you buy.

Cool, thanks!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've also been looking at the Ikea Markus. It seems like a good chair, it's gotten pretty good reviews form fellow Goons and its "reasonably" priced. It felt good when I tried it in the store. Now to determine if I should get the leather or the other material...

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I got the chance to sit in an embody today. Whats the main difference and upside between the embody and the Aeron? A fully decked out Aeron is maybe 150-200 less than the embody so I'm not sure what you get for that extra two hundred. Is it the headrest? The spine molding tech? It's definitely not a good thing for the chain to mold my back since I have extensive back problems and a bad posture, but I didn't find the embody to be more comfortable or even nicer looking. I find the seat to be disproportionately larger than the backrest and the salesman wasn't knowledgeable enough to answer my questions.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Knowlue posted:

I got the chance to sit in an embody today. Whats the main difference and upside between the embody and the Aeron? A fully decked out Aeron is maybe 150-200 less than the embody so I'm not sure what you get for that extra two hundred. Is it the headrest? The spine molding tech? It's definitely not a good thing for the chain to mold my back since I have extensive back problems and a bad posture, but I didn't find the embody to be more comfortable or even nicer looking. I find the seat to be disproportionately larger than the backrest and the salesman wasn't knowledgeable enough to answer my questions.

Did you sit in the Rhythm or Balance fabric? Balance offers way more padding and $200 more. I've owned all 3 including the Aeron with both sacrum and lumbar support. I'm back to a Mirra, which was my first love. I really like Embody chairs, but there is a marked difference in comfort between the 2 fabrics. Rhythm feels like an astringent office chair, one of those 10,000,000 hour chairs that might very well survive a nuke.

Also, neither of them have headrests and general consensus is that having one is bad for your neck postural muscles.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Knowlue posted:

It's definitely not a good thing for the chain to mold my back since I have extensive back problems and a bad posture, but I didn't find the embody to be more comfortable or even nicer looking.

If you have been sitting like a slouch your whole life you aren't going to magically be comfortable sitting in a proper chair.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

nem posted:

Did you sit in the Rhythm or Balance fabric? Balance offers way more padding and $200 more. I've owned all 3 including the Aeron with both sacrum and lumbar support. I'm back to a Mirra, which was my first love. I really like Embody chairs, but there is a marked difference in comfort between the 2 fabrics. Rhythm feels like an astringent office chair, one of those 10,000,000 hour chairs that might very well survive a nuke.

Also, neither of them have headrests and general consensus is that having one is bad for your neck postural muscles.

Etrips posted:

If you have been sitting like a slouch your whole life you aren't going to magically be comfortable sitting in a proper chair.

I've been improving my posture over the past few years as part of my rehab. The discomfort wasn't really attributed to me sitting like a slouch. I probably was sitting on the Rhythm fabric. They only had one model on display and nothing was really mentioned in that regards.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The Embody has a couple other neat tricks like adjustable seat depth, though it's been a while and I can't list all the features off the top of my head. If you were in a store the Aeron you saw was probably the recent redesign version and I'm not exactly sure what changes they made there.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

isndl posted:

The Embody has a couple other neat tricks like adjustable seat depth, though it's been a while and I can't list all the features off the top of my head. If you were in a store the Aeron you saw was probably the recent redesign version and I'm not exactly sure what changes they made there.

IIRC the main changes were changing the back support to be less lovely and making the armrests more adjustable (though moving them up and down still requires getting out of the chair).

Herman Miller's pricing is rather weird. A fully decked out Mirra2 like mine costs only marginally less than an Aeron, which in turn is only slightly less than an Embody.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Seems like I'll have to visit a different dealer to fully test the embody before I fully commit on either that or the Aeron.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Knowlue posted:

Seems like I'll have to visit a different dealer to fully test the embody before I fully commit on either that or the Aeron.

If you're leaning towards the Aeron I'd suggest testing out a Mirra2 as well. Feels very similar to the Aeron (I actually preferred it slightly), but with better adjustability in the armrests, an adjustable seat depth, and is slightly cheaper to boot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would take a Mirra 2 over an Aeron

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
On the new Aeron, you can adjust everything, including the arm height and back support thing, without getting up.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just checked and you can do all of the above with my old one :shrug:

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
I picked up a Secret Labs Titan and it's actually pretty good for a sub-$400 chair. Really good construction at least, can't speak to how well the leather lasts yet.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sterling_Archer posted:

I picked up a Secret Labs Titan and it's actually pretty good for a sub-$400 chair. Really good construction at least, can't speak to how well the leather lasts yet.

it's the same polyurethane as every cheap officemax chair, right?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Deviant posted:

it's the same polyurethane as every cheap officemax chair, right?

Yep, the #1 thing that makes me look the other way.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I too could use chair advice/suggestions. I'm almost certain the answer is "keep trying out different chairs" but I've hit the limit of what's available in town, so I may have to get something online. Here goes:

Things I'm looking for:
- Deep(ish) seat (I'm 6'4")
- Fabric upholstery
- Full-length / fixed armrests, i.e. those that reach all the way to the back
- High back

Things I definitely don't want:
- (P)leather or other plasticky upholstery. Mesh would work, except all chairs with mesh seem to have one seating position you can take before the rigid frame digs into you.

This would be a home office chair that's used maybe a couple of hours per day, and rarely for some serious work. While at my desk I'll send off some emails, lean back and watch YouTube videos, post here, often leaning to the side or with one of my legs under me. In other words, I'm not in need of some super-ergonomic wonder since it'd be wasted on how I actually sit while at home. I've written off most of the office/task chairs from HM/Steelcase/etc. at this point, and IKEA's been a bust too.

I guess I'm looking for a dictionary definition of "chair", or maybe "executive chair" but that's been remarkably difficult to find without going for some godawful leather monstrosity. Budget is $300ish, but I'll stretch it for the right chair. Any ideas?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Found out that the piston rod of my used Leap dropped low enough at some point for the screw to make contact with the ground and it's been gouging the hell out of my floor. Bye-bye, security deposit.

I'm buying bigger casters to make up for the difference, but does anyone know if the rod is just going to keep falling?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Oxxidation posted:

Found out that the piston rod of my used Leap dropped low enough at some point for the screw to make contact with the ground and it's been gouging the hell out of my floor. Bye-bye, security deposit.

I'm buying bigger casters to make up for the difference, but does anyone know if the rod is just going to keep falling?

You'll need to replace the it. There isn't much in the way of repair you can do on it and yea, it'll only get worse.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Pretty sure you could get the rod out of the base and wrap some paper or cloth around it to increase its diameter.. I've the same problem, only I can't get the rod out for lack of a suitable pipe wrench

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is it something that can be fixed by replacing the cylinder itself, or is there some other issue with the chair that's causing this? It still raises and lowers just fine.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Is it something that can be fixed by replacing the cylinder itself, or is there some other issue with the chair that's causing this? It still raises and lowers just fine.

I thought that the cylinder on my Leap was dropping too, but it just seems like it's low and supposed to be like that (based on product shots I looked up direct from Steelcase.) I'm really happy with this set of replacement wheels which raised the height of the chair by I think 1-2" off my carpet.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Atomizer posted:

I thought that the cylinder on my Leap was dropping too, but it just seems like it's low and supposed to be like that (based on product shots I looked up direct from Steelcase.) I'm really happy with this set of replacement wheels which raised the height of the chair by I think 1-2" off my carpet.

these are good wheels and i use them on my aeron

Deviant fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 22, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
you: did you hear that new_tech_startup went out of business? they're liquida—
me:

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I like my current chair, but it will damage my hardwood floor over time. There are basic plastic chair mats sold on Amazon, but they don't really look nice for a non-office setting. I'm more interested in a small circular low pile carpet. Any ideas where I can find one quickly to try it out?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get hard floor castors for it, they have a softer plastic rim on them that you can mark with a fingernail but are hard enough for a chair. They roll rather than sliding.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I use Flor Tiles in place of a mat. 2x2 array is plenty for one seat, but I'm considering 2x3 to match length of the desk.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 28, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Milkman posted:

I use Flor Tiles in place of a mat. 2x2 array is plenty for one seat, but I'm considering 2x3 to match length of the desk.

Those are pretty snazzy. If I ever get a place with hard floors, I'd probably check these out.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just used a cheap ikea rug but one day found a giant roach in my room and it was scuttling all over the carpet and actually went underneath it and was hiding there for a while and then crawled back to the corner of my room.

I hate roaches and rather have dinged floors

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just received my new Steelcase Gesture, and have a question about the back tension setting: Is there a guide for how to adjust this thing? I have it cranked up to max tension at the moment, and was wondering if there's a general rule as to what setting you should use and why? My previous chairs never had a setting like this.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gunder posted:

Just received my new Steelcase Gesture, and have a question about the back tension setting: Is there a guide for how to adjust this thing? I have it cranked up to max tension at the moment, and was wondering if there's a general rule as to what setting you should use and why? My previous chairs never had a setting like this.

Mostly a matter of personal taste as far as I know. Loose enough that you can lean back without exerting force, tight enough that you still have support while sitting up? Some people don't even bother and just lock the seat back upright.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder why converting car seats to chairs isn't more popular. Car seats are designed to be comfortable for hours on end, and it's basically what the DX Racer is doing anyway.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Have you ever actually sat in a bucket seat for long periods of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Etrips posted:

Have you ever actually sat in a bucket seat for long periods of time?
You mean like the DX Racer? Not really. But I know the car seat in my Prius is pretty comfortable for a 6 hour drive.